Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

AlmightyBob posted:

I really want to like this game. It looks really cool, and I like a lot of what they're doing like the different ways of levelling. But NCSOFT's past looms over this and I really can't see them letting it last very long and I'm afraid it'll just get replaced by their next generic creep oriented anime mmo.

I've heard (internet rumors) that Arenanet has a buyout clause for GW2 that would prevent NCsoft from doing this. I'm hoping Carbine has a similar deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Really excited about this game. I've yet to find an online game that I like as much as CoH. Loving the style and setting of this so far. I'm planning on an Exile Spellslinger as my first character.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

My only other real MMO experience is with City of Heroes, AKA King of the Casuals. Seriously, we had Super Sidekicking that would set the entire team to -1 level of the leader. That along with travel powers at level 6, easy teaming, easy soloing, quick raids, it was a casual player's paradise. I'm really hoping NCsoft will pass some of the good stuff from CoH off to Wildstar.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Midrena posted:

For a lot of people, I believe it's due to NCSoft shutting City of Heroes down.

Not just the shutdown itself, but they're refusing to sell or lease City of Heroes. We know there have been studios trying to buy CoH but NCsoft just stonewalls everyone. For some reason NCsoft is actually working to keep CoH dead, its pretty lovely.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Draynar posted:

Ya but it doesn't really affect the quality of other things they publish so it really has no bearing on Wildstar unless you're worried they pull the plug on it 6 months after release.

That's a real worry now that NCsoft has permanently closed 5 MMOs. Don't most other companies just sell off games when they start losing profitability? NCsoft has practically made closing and hoarding IPs their business model now for older games.

I'll be at Wildstar Day 1 but it is in the back of my head that NCsoft may decide to permanently close it at any time, that wouldn't be a worry with pretty much any other publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

BadLlama posted:

There is a perfectly good reason they don't sell their IPs, why the gently caress would they want to sell an established game to another company for which that company can turn around and directly compete with the MMOs still live at NCsoft? It really is not a hard thing to understand why they are hoarding their IPs. Maybe if NCsoft as a company was going out of business then they would sell their IPs to make cash but if they don't need that cash why would they shoot themselves in the foot?

There's plenty to go on about NCsoft but being mad that they aren't selling their IP is kind of dumb.

I might be mistaken about this and I have nothing to cite it, but aren't there plenty of older MMOs that have changed hands as opposed to shutting down? I seem to remember that SOE and other studios would take these old MMOs and pretty much operate them in maintenance mode. Hoarding dead MMO IPs is not normal business by any stretch, however it is for NCsoft.

MMOs are a special case, when a publisher decides to stop supporting it everything is gone. That's a unique case in gaming, single player games stick around forever as long as you have the game. I think publishers owe the players that spent a lot of time and money in their MMO to make at least an effort to find a way to keep a game running.

• Locked thread