Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Peechka posted:

How bout the mobs telegraphing the special attacks so you can "dodge" them. Its the same as TSW.

Literally every single MMO does that to some degree. Oh no, he's starting to speechify, watch out he's going to launch his big attack! Oh no he's shot a whole bunch of fireballs into the air, they will soon rain down on us. Gasp, shock, the floor is smoking...soon there will be a geyser of acid!

Telegraphing attacks isn't a TSW thing alone. Nor is limited skill slots. GW1 rode that train to glory long before TSW was ever a thing. While this looks "WoW-like" in the sense of it's aesthetic being more cartoony than realistic, otherwise it seems moderately different in actual execution as far as gameplay goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So, and this may be a revelation, don't heal. Just because everyone has two roles doesn't mean you will be expected to do both of them. You only have so many ability slots to fill, and you have far more abilities you *could* put in them. You can't go full heal and full dps at the same time, and realistically splitting your focus for anything but an emergency heal/dps button will distract from being the best at what you *want* to do. Say "I don't heal, I've never healed, and you will die if I try to heal" to anyone that asks you. And if some random fuckwit passes you over for a group or something because of that well, really, is that someone you wanted to group with in the first place?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Flarestar posted:

No, actually I can, and will, for the most part dismiss your opinion about EQ. Because you never played it. Just like I'd dismiss someone's opinion about what playing rugby is like if they've never done so. Sorry if that's offensive to you - as I said, it wasn't intended as an attack.

I started playing orpgs [Nobody in good conscience could call them mmorpgs, there are first person shooters with more people on a server than some of those things had now] when you did that poo poo on dial-up and payed by the hour for the privilege. gently caress all you little babies in your lovely little nappies bitching about monthly fees, or God forbid free to play mmorpgs. In my day the cutting edge was spending 20 dollars to sit in the back of a plane doing nothing for two hours to get shot down over an enemy base for the privilege of spending 2 hours and twenty dollars to do it again. And you liked it, because it had graphics and sound and poo poo. My "gently caress YOU TERRIBLE GAMING DECISIONS RAPING ME OF MY MONEY" cred is rock solid.

Having said that, a note: EQ was a terrible game filled with bad ideas that deserves to be burned to the loving ground [And the earth salted] whenever it is mentioned. The world is a better place in all respects for us having left it behind. Even the worst of the newer mmorpgs have better gaming fundamentals than EQ did. If perhaps we do not have quite as much GM involvement in silly things as we used to, well, that is a consequence of dealing with *far* more people. And it's not something modern games are incapable of doing. If they wanted to still do more dynamic GM content, they could. It can be fun, absolutely. It's just that the model that doesn't prioritize that sort of thing and provides more overall content for the most people is fairly objectively more fun.

The fact it was one of the first big graphical rpgs gets it more love than it deserves from a detached, logical viewpoint. Same for UO. Yes they both did some cute things we don't see as much today. There's a reason for that. They are not things that were conductive to stable, fun, *large* worlds. And whatever poo poo I give something like WoW [And boy do I give it a lot] it is a massive leap in gaming over UO and EQ, even if it lost some of 'charm'.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I HOPE THE ENGINEER HAS ROBOTS BECAUSE I LIKE BOTH ROBOTS AND PET CLASSES AND THAT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY

;
["]
[_]
] [

THIS IS A ROBOT I MADE FOR YOU

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 1, 2013

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
50 people on that google doc and none of you did the most important thing before I got there.

Shameful.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, you never drink heavily during a raid. Then you end up too stupid and drunk to appreciate how stupid and drunk other people in the raid are being. You drink heavily *after* the raid.

This is like raiding 101.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Purgey posted:

All the paths actually look really cool, (except maybe scientist because who loves reading lore?)

Me. Wanna fight about? I'll cut myself to show you how little it's going to mean when I start cutting you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

This is clearly a naked power grab by Starfleet Dental.

By "naked" I mean Arus's avatar is a naked fat man.

By "power grab" I mean "good organizational idea that makes a bunch of sense."

One of the main reasons we say "gently caress Arus" is because Arus is a good person that does a lot of helpful and interesting things that make playing stupid internet video games a lot easier and more fun and makes sure a relatively drama free time is had by all, and you must constantly berate him so he retains humility and does not become mad with power.

The other reason is gently caress Arus.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

This probably the nicest thing anyone on this forum has ever said about me!

Suck two dicks and call someone that gives a drat Arus.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure I got "World first giant robot vs single dude Fight Club battle" in GW2. I defy anyone to say they beat me on that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Mail the community manager your severed penis, it's the ultimate sign of your dedication to gaming.

DO IT

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Unfortunately Razor has yet to design a mouse that completely eliminates the need for two hands, so people will have to make due with cutting off their penis.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Arus, for some strange reason every post you make now is annoying and hosed up, with an air of desperation and high functioning autism.

Also you have a stupid avatar.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Evil is boring, and often stupid. Magnificent bastards are cool. It's not good to make one side of a faction based mmo boring and stupid. Making them cool, that's fine. So far they've done an ok job not making things boring or stupid.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
World first gay marriage only world first that matters. Inclusion and love superior to stupid purps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
He said "one of the tanks", so quite a lot. DPS can be a joke for 99% of fights out there, but there are far less where you can say "A tank didn't show up, we'll just make due".

• Locked thread