Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Bunnygirls :supaburn: is the immediate goon response. But once we get past that, it's an interesting game. A lot of people are looking forward to it, but they have been pretty secretive and given lots of vague promises.

NCSoft is a pretty big company, I'm more interested in the studio producing it. Who was brought in to make up Carbine? As far as I can tell, this is their first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

If you want to do subscription only, then you have to do it like Rift and just pump out a ton of content/changes. And even then, Rift was able to continue pumping out content after the swtor hit because the company was on a 3 game investment and could afford to lose money for a bit. It's making money, but now it's entering the phase where it is Trion's cash cow and you don't spend a lot of time making content for the cash cow. But without that content, the sub model doesn't do well. Sorry for the derail, but I think it's pertinent to new games looking at a sub model. It also works for very niche games, Camelot unleashed will be sub, but their goal is 50k subs and not a million.

F2p isn't always roses, I am not happy with GW2's model of making the endgame a huge gold grind and influencing people to buy gold.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Peechka posted:

How bout the mobs telegraphing the special attacks so you can "dodge" them. Its the same as TSW.

Pretty sure they specifically said that the tells get less and less obvious as the mobs get tougher. Not every player is as pro as you, if a game wants to bring in a lot of people, then they need to make it fairly easy at the start and gradually ramp it up.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The problem with large public events is that you are hosed if playing the game after the big wave of people leveling at the start. The hearts in GW2 didn't feel any different to me then a fetch quest, and those zones with events are empty right now for people trying to level. They've tried to get higher levels back into the zones with the daily structure, but it defaults to people doing the bare minimum and finding the same, small area to get it done. I like Rift's expansion setup of quest hubs with just a quest or two that dealt with the main storyline, and the rest of the stuff was encountered out in the zone.

Give me a fun, active game with a decent story and I will be happy, regardless of how they structure progression.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I'm interested in how a group of friends leveling together will work when people have different paths. I imagine it will end up that there are a bunch of shared story/common quests, and the specific path quests are minimal and will be located in generally the same area. That or they find a way to give all party members some kind of credit for a member's path quest.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Please spend 50mil developing a rich game that gives me everything I want for free. Some other guy can buy a hat or something, that will pay for it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Bardlebee posted:

If the content was so good, why is it that it didn't do well? At least my local friends say they didn't enjoy it, I know this isn't TSW thread, but if its using the same mechanics and people enjoyed it...

Because:
- Funcom, which turned some people away before trying
- Animations could be a bit wonky
- No endgame unless you like running dungeons nonstop
- Was very unique in a lot of ways. Despite goons saying they want change, most people are too stupid to figure things out, like equipping a 2nd weapon in the 2nd weapon slot.
- Chat system and some quests were buggy at launch due to large amounts of people.

It launched as sub, so didn't get a population rush with very little buildup. It actually had a bunch of people at launch, but for some reason Funcom thought it was going to do a million subs with little promotion. It did something like 350k, which I thought appropriate. It's F2p model is very forgiving, and it's story/gameplay are awesome. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't played it, to play it. It's enjoyable even if just treated as a single player adventure game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

That's unfortunate, split factions are something that belongs in pvp based games. Otherwise, you just splinter your player base. Dominion will be more popular on the pvp servers and life will be difficult as an exile.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

This game is actually costing decent money to produce so no, it won't be f2p.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Assuming there will be pvp and pve servers, goons will be split into 4 groups. The biggest group will be dominion pvp because goons love open world pvp, griefing, and being the bad guys. Despite the fact that open world pvp is always terrible and griefing rarely ever happens. After the initial rush of people, the 3 other guilds will struggle along. It's why games have gotten away from splitting up groups of people like that, and why I was pretty disappointed to see Wildstar would be doing it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I will be happy as long as the leveling takes so much time that the idiots who always run streams with "no sleep till max level" end up collapsing out of their chair.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

GW2's cash shop is a godawful mess and you know it. Goons think that a f2p mmo can survive on cosmetic only items and I haven't seen it, GW2 survived on a horrible gold grind and other f2p's just use random loot boxes to soak people. I can understand the desire for a sub game that doesn't have any microtransaction nonsense. Ideally a game could offer both models for people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

That's basically what turned me off to Tera. Loved most of the game but I just could not play a game where my class did one thing and one thing only. Rift spoiled me I guess, but really hoping the classes in wildstar have at least more than one option. Have we even seen any healers?

Runefaust posted:

I've never tried Rift due to being turned off by the art style of it - just not my cup of tea. Does it work well in Rift?

At max level in Rift you have 6 role slots that you can swap between any time out of combat. Each role slot is a combination of 3 of your 9 available souls. 3 of the 4 classes can tank, 2 of the 4 can main heal, all 4 can dps, 3 or 4 have raid needed support souls. My mage's roles are leveling, ranged dps, main heal, ranged aoe dps, melee dps, and a combo damage/heal support build. I don't have to swap gear, and swapping between them takes 3 seconds. I really hope other games steal that style of system!

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 24, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Rift ditched that a while ago. PVP stats on items aren't inherently a bad thing because it prevents a situation where you HAVE to pvp in order to do pve content. You shouldn't be forced to do one to enjoy the other. Normalization and horizontal progress within pvp is a good thing though, and should be the norm. I don't mind GW2's method of completely splitting the gear as long as you could move skins back and forth. Of course, then the open world PVP issue pops up.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

There are people who raid for the reasons given in this thread, sure, but I'd like to think that most of us raid because it's fun to hang out with some bros and ladies on mumble and work as a team to kill a boss. I've never raided for cosmetic gear, and I only care about getting better gear so that I can dine on the new raid content when it comes. Cosmetic stuff is normally horrible open world rep grinds, no thanks. Raid stats on gear is fine, so long as pvp gear is equally as worthless in the open world, I don't want to have to grind battlegrounds in order to be able to survive out in the open world with my erotic bunnygirl roleplay.

My concern with raids is the style of combat. GW2 doesn't have targeted heals, Tera has them in a limited sense but currently only does 5-man dungeons. Action combat like this is pretty hectic and I can't imagine trying to target a tank in the pile of 25 melee dps. Let alone trying to get out of telegraphed mechanics while everyone is dogpiled up. They have some serious hurdles there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

In rift I cycle between 5 wardrobes, none of which use any raid gear. It doesn't have to be that way, hopefully they have a nice wardrobe system in this game! It sounds like Wildstar will have a good opportunity to give cool housing stuff as accomplishment rewards.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Not all filthy raiders are of the competitive type, a good portion of us like to raid with friends and have fun :( It's really just a larger dungeon, we aren't out to put world firsts on our resume. I just think we can all agree that the best raiding gear shouldn't come from pvp, the best pvp gear shouldn't come from raiding, and cosmetic options should be available to all.

It IS kind of confusing to me that Wildstar is concentrating on raiding, since really the only games doing it are WoW and Rift. It's kind of a niche thing, but maybe their economic research says that raiders pay more money and are easier to keep.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

People who like raiding today aren't necessarily the same person as you were 6 years ago when you raided 5 days a week. You can raid 2 nights a week and still drink booze and bone women (or men). I see a lot of projection ITT.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

In fact, WoW lost 1.3mil subs in the last 3 months!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Reverend Dr posted:

Despite having a low amount of stuff to buy, GW2 was pretty well done. TSW's shop is pretty darn good. But really none of that is relevant as developers have long since figured out they can make more money with a cash shop than subscription while simultaneously have better player reception of a cash shop than subscription (provided the shop isn't complete poo poo, like ToR). And the fact that you actually like the ToR cash shop puts you in an extremely small minority (so small you are literally the first person I've heard that didn't work for EA/BioWare to say that, wait you work for one of them don't you?), to the point that your personal opinions are very divergent from MMO populations at large, which makes their use in any type of discussion hardly relevant. I'd love a game that was specifically designed for me, but that poo poo just ain't gonna happen.

1. In that same window subscription model also generates more money than its baseline. Its because at release there are just more people. But yes people do proportionally buy more stuff when more stuff is available, no poo poo. So keep putting stuff out on the cash shop. The basic philosophy that works well is keep it mostly cosmetic, allow whatever cosmetic types in the shop to have the same type that can be acquired through play (if you have clothes in the shop, have other clothes for play, if you have guild furniture in the shop, have other guild furniture through play, etc), and keep up with game support and content updates otherwise you lose players (which is true for any game, if people aren't playing, then they aren't buying from the cash shop or subbing).

2. No poo poo sherlock. That is because when a game converts to B2P(it isn't F2P its B2P, no this isn't being pedantic, it is a very meaningful difference) it isn't because they are truly exploring the option, its because their game is loving dying. This just happened with Funcom and TSW. The reduction of content updates isn't because they went B2P. They went B2P because the game was failing, they just had massive layoffs, and going B2P is the most obvious step to keep a game running longer. The layoffs would have happened regardless of any change to monitization method and there is probably a correlation between that and reduction of new content, but it escapes me at the moment.

TOR's cash shop is really good and makes them tons of cash. GW2 would be a much better game if their cash shop actually included the amount of cosmetic items that TOR does. GW2's cash shop is horrible and the money they make is off of the gold grind endgame. At least in TOR everything in the cash shop is unbound and can be sold for in game credits. So now you've heard two people say it. And since their latest earnings call revealed a very healthy game population and money generation, it sounds like you don't quite have the MMO consumers as pegged as you think you do.

You can guess a pricing model based on how much a game costs to develop. Totally free? Well you can have the Neverwinters with reused engine and infrastructure. It does alright. But a game like this, which is spending a considerable amound of money to produce? It's going to be sub or b2p, and if it's b2p you can be drat sure that the cash shop is going to be full of exclusive items that border on pay to win. The investors and studios deal with making real money and not with a goon's idealized sense of what is fair.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you end up having to pay upwards of $50 for the expansion quests in LOTRO even if you are a subscriber? I know their model has served them well, and am not knocking it. It has certainly helped their game, I just don't think I like it very much. That's a lot of content that I feel I should be getting if I am a VIP.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Lowly posted:

I am having very mixed feelings about the game in its current state. I don't think the combat feels too long until I have to make my way through a densely packed area where most mobs are in packs, then the process of fighting through them to get enough for a quest or get to my objective feels interminable. And maybe I'm bad, but I die quite a bit in this game, meaning I have to start back outside the area and make my way back through again.

I actually like settler ( there is more variation in missions as you go on and i enjoy seeing the stuff I build pop into being) but I agree that the paths are still very much a side aspect. I wish that you could gain regular experience from completing path missions because I find a lot of the path stuff more fun than questing, but I only get "path experience" from it and can't level from doing path stuff.

Oof, the traveling thing sounds like SWTOR at launch. For the path experience stuff, does that mean a soldier helping a settled with a path mission gets nothing out of it?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Minsky posted:

This thread is on the verge of resurrecting the "dungeon finders destroy server community because as a tank I am no longer the princess whom everyone has to be nice to" argument from fifty pages ago, and I hope we won't go there again.

This thing doesn't come out for 6 months or so. We will go there, we will probably go there twice. The war between casuals and raiders is never ending my friend. You got sand in my theme park, you got themes in my sandbox! We will probably discuss the merits of a mango pie based economy. But the thread will continue to push forward, powered by optimism and Clam Down's posting momentum.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

miscellaneous14 posted:

You can make the objectives as incredibly engaging as you want, it doesn't change that you're doing the exact same thing over and over again, just hoping for the next new ability or mount unlock to maybe add some variety.

That's just life, man.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The issue isn't that people aren't willing to pay a sub or give money if they like a game, it's that it's very hard to bring in new people when you are a sub model and there are a lot of F2P games out there. Rift held a solid sub base for 2 years and did a fantastic job delivering content, but all the praise in the world doesn't matter if you can't keep getting new people in the door. Our guild size has quadrupled just in the weeks leading UP to f2p, it doesn't actually launch until Wednesday. I don't mind subs, a lot of people don't mind subs, but having them as required leaves a large market chunk that won't even try your game.

I just hope they have a hybrid option where I can sub if I like it, and never have to deal with lockbox bullshit or have to put more money into a cash shop.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Someone hire me to raid. I bring my own consumables and have read the strats.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

At first I was worried that this game won't end up being as entertaining as the hype. Now I am worried that it won't end up as entertaining as this thread.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I'm sick of you housing elitists trying to tell me how to play a game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Dracula Factory posted:

I just hope guild housing ends up being a thing so the guild has a big common area to hang out in.

Me too, guild dimensions are the best thing:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

malhavok posted:

The TTK seems pretty horrible.

Definitely seems like you need to group up, big time. And they said the TTK was lowered? I think it may get lowered again.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Having a set number of skills available is fine by me. I'm just glad it's more Secret World style and less GW2 style.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Oh my god, y'all still arguing about raiding for the 8th straight month. There are different ways to do a raiding system, and characterizing people who do it as some hardmode elitists is ridiculous. No goon guild is going to be a hardcore progression guild. I just hope they make the raid system like SWTOR (stop laughing), in that you have different sizes and different modes. Storymode SWTOR raids can be easily pug'd when people play the time they have available, and they have weekly quests that are rewarding enough to make well geared players want to do the storymode versions.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

crabcakes66 posted:

Are people still wanting keys for this. Just noticed I have a few.

Yes!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Meh, people shouldn't consider games failures because they didn't meet WoW's popularity. Much of WoW's popularity is being in the right place at the right time and it has rode that momentum for a long time. A good portion of it's playerbase will not play another MMO, so games that try to steal WoW players can hurt themselves.

A big box price combined with a sub is pretty hefty these days though. I hope they keep the box price to a minimum. I don't think subs are a problem if the game is good, but I have my concerns in other areas.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Well the drawback to that is plopping into a level 50 premade doesn't make you a very good class tester since you may not know what you are doing. Also if that's true it's what, 39 days to get 32 levels? That shouldn't be a problem unless you rarely play, and if you rarely play then you probably aren't beta testing very well for them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Thats weird, I assumed goons would naturally gravitate towards Dominion. After all, Goon squad Horde was twice the size of goon squad alliance in WoW forever.

Most goons plan to play Domi at launch, that's why most are playing Exile now. At least that is my understanding.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Rift started as vanilla WoW, but Trion put in a ton of work to morph it into what it is today. They broke down the faction barrier and changed basic mechanics of the game post-launch. It only went F2P after two years, and is still going strong at 3 years. To say it isn't a success is just silly, you must think anything that isn't WoW is a failure. It's in a bit of a pre-expansion lull right now as things build up to 3.0, but Trion is still the developer I would choose for a MMO.

To be fair, a lot of Rift's evolution over the years reflects the changing attitudes from a lot of the mmo community, things Wildstar has had to be convinced to do. Breaking down the faction barrier so you can always play with friends, mentoring, open world questing (hubs are just for story progression), instant action, open tagging of mobs, etc. I hope Wildstar does well, there seems to be a lot of conviction behind it's development and love it's videos. There are definitely things to make life easier to be worked on prior to release though and hopefully they do that.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I will never understand why people like Tera's combat so much. :psyduck:

The jiggle animations

I thought it was pretty fun, but not so great that it would make me play it on it's own. I'll take Rift's soul system and tab combat over action combat with singular class roles any day.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

They had a sustainable amount of subs, but swtor proved that you can make more money with f2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I don't have a problem with the existence of 40 man raids but the technical issues seem off. First of all, they have to be pug-able in order to get 40 people, so you have to dial down the difficulty and personal responsibility of the members. Second, the massive amount of people involved means your visual cues are hard to work with (especially in Wildstar, I doubt WoW had visual telegraphs on the ground from 40 people).

So if you have simplified the boss down to that point, why not just make it an open world boss? Other games I have played have done world bosses/events well, they could go to the next level of that. I've never done a 40 man raid, do people actually all get on voice comms and assign specific roles?

• Locked thread