Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

BadLlama posted:

They actually have these and they are doing them in a way that appears to be far better than in rift or gw2. From my understanding each path is able to deploy a public event of their own anywhere in the world so when you are out questing and run accross some dudes you can start the public event and everyone can join in and get rewards instead of just hanging out in the same spot cycling events like in GW2.

How would that be different than people hanging out and starting the same events in the same spot? Like, it would be kinda a drag to be unable to check out the cave event because no explorers were around.

I'm not seeing a big gain here, especially with how much mmos are moving away from relying on other players lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

I'd lay odds that after the first few times someone drops and triggers a public quest, everyone else in the area will ignore it in favour of whatever they were doing in the first place. The novelty of these mechanics tends to wear off pretty quickly, especially if the rewards don't measure up. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad mechanic, just one that needs some extra care balancing risk vs. reward.

I feel bad for those leveling up behind the curve or on off hours - they're going to be missing 3/4ths of the player started events. It would be nice if they have a plan for it.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Tupper posted:

Warning, intro is loving loud and annoying.

The outro is the same thing, that was a nice surprise.

Liked the idea of having a house plot be a random mini dungeon/encounter. Also really liked when they asked themselves "Will this Break the Narrative?" they said "Whatever, it's a game. Fun is first."

Cautiously optimistic, even with the holy trinity baggage and gear grinds.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Probad posted:

Tera has really good combat. GW2 has pretty good combat. Everything else has bad combat and should feel bad.

Everyone forgets DCUO, one of the better MMO brawlers out there. Also had fantastic travel powers.

Have they said anything on how you'll get around in Wildstar? Fast travel waypoints? Flightpaths? Mounts?

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Archonex posted:

I sure as poo poo would not want to be dismounted while in on a flying mount.

Hell, part of the reason why you get a flying mount in the first place in games like WoW is to avoid the tedium of having to deal with mobs chain dismounting you and slowing down your ability to actually enjoy the content of the game.

In fact, bullshit dismounting mechanics are the bane of EQ style MMO's. Especially when the developers put in a poo poo-ton of mobs that cluster the zone and can gently caress with you with chain pulls and such.

You could do so much with it, it's a shame everyone's locked into WoW did it this way so everyone has to do the same and the baggage that comes with it.

Make dismounting while flying a mechanic. Like an escape pod you have to land with limited controls. Give characters an emergency jetpack with limited time or fuel. Hell, mandatory parachutes you can wiggle around to get a better landing spot.

I hope the devs keep an open mind. Sticking with the trinity and ! questing when there's already been good examples on how to do it better isn't the best sign.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Bauxite posted:

Do we actually know what their discussion was when they decided to drop coh? Because unless we do you're just saying what you think, which isn't relevant at all. You can think it was a stupid decision, but try to keep your opinions seperate from facts. It's entirely possible they're hanging on to coh for another game that they want to make, and they don't know if it'll happen or not yet. Do I really believe that? Not entirely, but it wouldn't suprise me if that was the case, and it's just as likely as your opinion.

All NCsoft is guilty of is being a poorly managed company, which is what happens when businessmen try to run a game publishing company, same thing EA is guilty of.

All the financial data that was floating around when it got shut down showed it was on the downhill slope of a product life cycle. It was still profitable, but it didn't look like it was going to be for long. Prior the the announcements you had goons themselves complaining they were just logging in for the minor updates then taking long breaks in between, not the best way to attract new paying customers or keeping your current player base monetised.

Ending it before it started costing them money makes more sense than waiting until you're in the hole with it, to me.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Rylek posted:

Not sure how Carbine is going to prevent this community split from happening which caused Blizzard to dump 40 man raids since nobody likes to be a second class citizen in a game they're paying for. Though I'm not sure they want to since most of the Devs appear to be from that 1% 40 man raid camp.

I haven't seen much in the way of them not wanting this kind of split in the first place. The core of a lot of things look to be Vanilla Wow, with some nice window dressing like player housing.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

I don't even know why it's an argument, they said they were going to have a cash shop in the pax video on player housing, full stop. Throwing a subscription on top of that is a deal breaker to a lot of people because double dipping is the worst.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Kreczor posted:

Because this is such a great feature. I'll now have to start reading the pages and pages of quest text again just to find out where Moogul the Cunning the Third is located within the Forest of eight thousand acres.

This is my favorite thing, because if the UI is as moddable as they've been touting a Quest Helper mod with direct links to the wiki will be the second big mod for the game.

The first mod of course will be dps meters.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Syrek posted:

You're doing the same thing. We are all doing that to a degree. I don't see your point there.

The MMO that has the most players and does the best job of keeping that population somewhat steady for an unbelievable length of time has both a carrot-on-a-stick gear treadmill as well as a subscription model, both of them happen to be things that most goons agree on being absolutely terrible and would never work in this day and age. Dollars speak louder than goon opinions.

Continually posting losses 6 months in a row, predicting further losses by the end of the year. Meanwhile most sub free MMOs look to be doing better and better. So I agree, looks like dollars do speak louder than goon opinions. I agree 100%.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

fariz posted:

You could make a very similar graph for Vanilla WoW. Doesn't mean raiding wasn't the end all be all focus for the team. It's pretty deceptive.

Wonder how much paths will factor into waiting around in your house for your group or a raid to find that last healer/tank. All glory to The Burning Crusade.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

frajaq posted:

Ugh why would they have tiered skills, even WoW took that out

Having to go back to town and buy skills is the height of interesting and dynamic gameplay.

Have they released anything regarding the gear grind gameplay of end game? I keep seeing a lot of window dressing features like housing and paths, but come 2-3 months out when everyone has hit max level will it be back to business as usual?

They at the very least call out people picking humans as boring idiots. Good on them.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

The fact open tagging is even being debated when it's not a technical limitation is pretty mind boggling. It's like considering the pro's and con's of AoE looting.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Jackard posted:

Keybound emoticons/vfx can be a quick means of simple communication.

FF11 had chat macros, but I think it was more of a language barrier thing. I'd like to see a lot of auto call outs. My character should be just as chatty, if not more, than a Left4Dead character in combat with situational things like heals, CC, agro and other MMO nuts 'n bolts.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Meowbot posted:

This was my first impression of that game :

I watched it and went huh that was loving dumb realized it was more than likely some type of joke and watched the other videos. How did they get to a 2 million goal if they haven't really shown anything for this game that makes it look like it is going to be the end all be all of PVP MMOS? Maybe I am missing something. I haven't seen any good gameplay videos or screenshots to indicate this is anything special.

Edit: Also mobs don't drop loot is what I got from one of the foundation principles. I guess if you like PVP this is going to be a great game.

As evidenced in this very thread, nostalgia is right up there next to tweens on easy milkable cash cows.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Nef Arious posted:

This - anyone who goes into Wildstar expecting a sandbox experience is going to be very disappointed. At this point it is very much WoW in space, with the exception of housing and a few other added features, so WoW++ essentially. Not that there is anything objectively WRONG with that, but it's certainly not a sandbox game.

I'd be somewhat interested if it actually was WoW++. From what I've been seeing, it's TBC/Vanilla era WoW with a coat of paint on it. Dragging things back like heading back to town to pay cash for training incremental levels of skills as part of "World Building" leads me to believe it aint just the players wearing the rose tinted glasses.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

quote:

XP gained per mob death will generally be based on the amount of damage a player contributes to that kill

Smell ya later open world tanks/healers. All DPS, all the time.

Lyer posted:

What were the arguments against shared mob tagging for quests?

Glasses so rose tinted Scott Summers would be like "drat."

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

miscellaneous14 posted:

I really, really doubt they're going to implement this new system without tweaking the numbers to where XP splitting on mobs becomes anything resembling an issue. It'll likely be just like virtually every other MMO on the market right now; quest XP makes up around 90% of your leveling progress.

When XP replaces kill credit I would think it would be an issue when wandering bozos actually put you behind when they "help" you with the kill.

Max DPS groups roaming around would be kinda filing to grief around in, with the defense of Hey I'm Just Playing the Game.

This is all based around mobs having a pool of xp that dps draws from, which is what the article looks to be implying.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Bauxite posted:

Basically if you take even 5 seconds to think about it, anything that isn't mob tagging is an infinitely superior system because nobody gives a poo poo about the xp you get for killing a specific mob. All the XP in modern mmos is from accomplishing goals, be they quests or heart vendors or public events.

Except with the system they posted, you have to give a poo poo about individual mob xp because that's what's replacing kill credit for those juicy quests. So instead of killing 10 boars, you gotta get 1000 boarXP, and boars give 100 each.

If they're going with contribution(dps) = XP, then someone coming along and helping you kill it just stole potential XP you would have gotten. They didn't take the whole tag, but they took a piece. The neat bit comes in when a group of DPS guys swoop around obliterating boars while everyone else gets a whack or two in. How much is 1 hit translate into XP? I'm super curious if they'll put an xp floor.

It still leaves the problem of hating to see other people around, sucking up your XP (kill credits for quests).

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Runefaust posted:

On another note: The only thing holding me back from truly becoming hyped for Wildstar is the lack of any knowledge regarding the way you progress your character. Has there been ANY sort of info regarding the way character progression will be done? Any sort of talent tree or skill systems?

At endgame? Raiding and hoping not only for drops but D2 style RNG random stat drops that fit your character.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Slokir posted:

The houses are all instanced right now with a teleporter thing in most quest hubs to get there. I think i remember reading something about neighborhoods of houses for guilds/circles of friends being planned but I'm finding nothing on Google about it now.

It was one of those offhand, "We'd like to do it eventually" things mentioned at the end of one of the first few E3 housing presentations.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

grrarg posted:

All the WoW talk misses the point. Look past the graphic similarities to how it actually plays. The combat is shaping up to be pretty different with the telegraphs, free-form targeting (aim your telegraph instead of tab-target), and the Guild Wars 1-style limited action bar where the player picks and chooses which abilities to slot.

I think you should be thinking about the verbs you use when you log in to play. Raiding and Dungeoning is going to be what everyone is going to be doing 2-3 months out to grind up better gear. Wouldn't bat an eyelash if there was daily quests too, and faction reps to grind. When the core of why people are playing at end game is a copy and paste from other games, the X-clone tag seems pretty appropriate, regardless of amount of window dressing applied.

If there's a monthly sub (with or without a f2p option) I fully expect the things above to be stretched out to the limit of player tolerance in terms of time needed to advance. Mob HP already looks like they've made it a timesink.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

2. Quest completion being based on XP and XP being based on damage sounds good in a solo and group setting, but if I understand the system correctly the big problem will be that this is not enough to encourage people to cooperate with each other in situations where they are not formally in a group. At that point, they will be competing against each other in a PVE setting where the one who does more damage gets a bigger reward. This is never fun. They mentioned it is important to prevent people from just tagging and running away and I agree but the threshold before getting the maximum reward should still remain low. That might be what they intend to do. I am not sure. It wasn't worded very well.

Still super curious on how they're going to address 5 man dps trains basically monopolising an area undisputed. Even if you pull it, if it dies before you hit the miniums you're walking away with scraps at best. The whole system also seems to encourage all mobs being big rear end giant HP sponges to help alleviate the kill/XP stealing. Imagine, every mob being a GW2 dungeon boss.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Even if you choose to ignore that, you're left with a $15/month sub based MMO in 2014, year of our savior, which is a very scary thing.

With a cash shop. Best of both worlds, really.

The pushback smells of complete overhauls. Suppose no one was really happy with minute and a half battles against average grunts. Anything else coming out fall or spring 2014 in the mmo world, expansion pack or otherwise?

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Except it's not a full fledged cash shop? In the article he mentions that the only thing you can "buy" is the game play time. They currently don't have plans for any sort of cash shop - although they're not opposed to it yet. If they did, it'd be purely cosmetic.

I have some prime Florida real estate for you to invest in if you honestly believe there won't be a cash shop in a game under the NCSoft logo. When it gets mentioned off hand in some of their first look videos (housing) like it aint no thing, you know it's going to be pretty thick in it.

Edit:
nevermind!

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 19, 2013

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Rylek posted:

This so much! Why everyone thinks GW2 is the epitome of the MMO subscription model is beyond me.

Because it's doing pretty well.

And by industry standards, not flopping over and revamping their entire revenue model within the first two quarters of release is a success. Something which Wildstar will have to strongly consider, if history is any indication.

What is it about Guild Wars 2 that gets people so salty? MMO tribalism at its finest.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got a steampunk shield and jade skin during those events and didn't spend a single cent, you're talking out of your rear end or never even played those updates. But yeah like you said, this isn't the GW2 thread.

SWTOR: Arguably failed, converted to F2P pretty fast
LOTRO: Long running sub game, converted to F2P to survive
WAR: Sub at first, what on earth happened there?
TESO: Expected subscription? Expected to be poo poo.
STO: Started with a sub, converted to F2P and ended up thriving somehow
Rift: Started with a sub, was dying so went F2P.

Then you have new high profile F2P games like Firefall, Neverwinter, PS2, and things like GW1/2, your argument is completely blown out of the water.

Connan: Sub dropped to F2P, still alive despite literally everything that could go wrong
DCUO: Sub then dropped to F2P, still dropping DLC/Updates and doing fine
Defiance: Didn't even bother with a sub, B2P with DLC packs
TSW: Sold enough lifetime subscriptions to switch to F2P while raking in more cash.

Odds on Wildstar offering lifetime subscriptions a month or two before release?

edit:

Reverend Dr posted:

WoW- Is dying. Blizzard won't convert it to B2P even though they could keep the game going longer by doing so, because they don't see a reason to spend all of the time required to make that conversion. I kind of agree with them, at this point I'd rather see it die out. They are already siding away from subscriptions for Titan

WoW is already merging servers in the next patch(doing it the most rear end backwards way to not call it merges), and getting deep into the cash shop model. It'll flip to free to play before it drops under 5 million subs or so, just so they don't have to report the actual numbers anymore. Perception is everything.

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 19, 2013

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

We don't even know if Wildstar is any good yet, but it's pretty clear that a game with 40-man raiding isn't catering to the majority, it's aimed at the nostalgic minority from EQ/vanilla WoW days (Carbine flat out said this, it's not really up for debate who their target audience is). And giving it an outdated and unfriendly revenue model is not a recipe for instant success.

I have to wonder if the delay is retooling a lot of "classic" mechanics like getting incremental upgrades to your spells every level and having to travel back to town to train them (as seen on some of the leaked stuff). Lord knows their tagging system as described seemed like an overly complicated mess when compared to just simple open tagging.

Seems like their success or financial failure is how much baggage they can throw out before they sink with the nostalgia. As a shareholder, "niche" isn't a market I'd want for a multimillion dollar investment.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Noirex posted:

Well, kind of disappointed it's not buy to play like GW2. While I'm fine with paying a monthly sub provided it's super polished and content packed, having a full $60 box price too seems a bit much. Like many gaming friends, I play MMOS with my significant other, and having to cough up $120 right off the bat plus a subsequent monthly fee....ouch. That's a chunk of cash to trust and invest in a completely unknown IP/unfamiliar company and it's making me rethink my excitement for the game. Which is a pity because the awesome player housing, races and humor has made me steer a lot of friends to their website. Plus you know there is going to be a cashshop in it sooner or later.

I think they are going to turn off a lot of potential players with this outdated model, unless they soften it with a free trial or something that allows Carbine to gain a player's trust that it's not going to turn out to be another TOR/Conan type fiasco.

The article early mentioned the only trials at launch would be a handful given to those that bought the game to hand their friends. Wouldn't expect a terribly public beta if they're going with that.

But don't worry there will be some totally swag videos about hair styles in game and how much the devs care about you finding the right color for you. The important stuff.

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 20, 2013

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Three leveling dungeons, one end game one. One 20 man raid, one 40. Super curious on their gear progression struction, and how much longevity they're going to milk outta that.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

BadLlama posted:

So everyone that played Counter-Striker, Tribes, Star Craft for hundreds of hours and didn't do the competitive scene were brain damaged because they didn't get a shiny Staff of Shining to parade around with? I think your argument is not a very good one.

Well, those are designed to be fun games that stand on their own. Traditional MMOs are designed to be skinner boxes with gameplay stretched out to keep you paying 15 a month as long as possible.

Having that I'm Better Because I'm Shiner(from investing more time) is good for World Building keeping investors happy, because it keeps people playing.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

BadLlama posted:

As I said, this is just an old rear end mechanic from the good old days of MMOs where the entire objective was to spend hundreds of hours leveling up. That is not the case anymore and this mechanic needs to die out.

Naw it's still pretty relevant when the business model still revolves around getting you to subscribe as long as possible. Nickel and diming you minutes here and there really does add up, especially with those who have limited play time.

Still super curious on if the average time to kill mob has moved at all yet, and how grindy the end game will be. But I suppose it's pretty hard to make a cute little YouTube about those.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

facepalmolive posted:

* = disclaimer: never tried Wildstar, don't know if this is really the case, etc.

It's not. There's going to be a steady stream of white/non-avoidable damage to keep the trinity on eternal life support. They mention it in the early interviews, to distance themselves from other MMOs.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Wildstar wants to be WoW 2.0 so bad they carried over the sexual dimorphism from trolls to drakken. Tough, fierce male characters but if you want to be a girl drakken the only option is Sexy Devil.

Bums me out GW2 still the classiest MMO in that area.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

Personally, I think it's a silly mechanic but serves its purpose.

I think lazy is what others are trying to get across, not silly. When you get really neat and somewhat dynamic mechanics tied to ALL the other forms of CC, smash F to win looks pretty loving dialed in.

Much like character designs. Males get varied and expressive skeletons and models. Female characters get to pick what skin their charactermellonsmuggler has. Classy or not, it looks just like a rush job. Which is a shame for a game that is trying use innovation and style as their selling points.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Calihan posted:

Frankly I will be surprised if NCSoft has that much patience, especially since they missed the first launch ETA of late last year.

At the end of the day, the one who has the final call on any such matters is always the suits holding the purse strings.

I'm super curious on those suits and their willingness to play brinksmanship with WoW. Just about any push back at this point runs the risk of Blizzard vacuuming all their thunder by dropping their expansion pack a month after wildstar goes live.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hitting that April window will be part of the reason TESO gets great box sales, regardless of the bad hype they've gotten.

I'd just about Toxx myself on a roll out of the beta for the bliz expansion pack a month +/- of TESOs release. Probably after, putting a pretty tiny window to release between everything coming out.

Pryce posted:

Funnily enough, that's what the entire purpose of our next beta patch is. Details to leak later this week :P

Genuinely curious on how the gear reward structure is, and where 40 man raiding sits on that scale. Somehow I think it's just to be mechanics testing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

That puts them right in the danger zone of getting their collective asses smashed in by the new WoW expansion. Doubly so for Wildstar, given that their whole shtick is pretty much iterating on BC era WoW.

The funny bit is the WoW expansion is The Burning Crusade: Prequel Edition. So this winter in terms of new (western) MMO to play you can pick from two flavors of TBC or Skyrim: the MMO. The most innovative industry.

Mr.Drf posted:

Wildstar is going to be a MMO for people who don't like to play MMOs.

From every thing I've watched and read I'd caution you to temper those expectations way, way down. The leveling looks to still be loading up quests at a quest hub and heading out into the wilds to click and punch the requisite checklists of things down. End game looks to be chasing +1s on gear from random drops. Which is great for those looking for a new iteration of the classic MMO design.

Edit: I could be completely wrong, as I don't have beta access. I kinda hope to be and they have some real neat innovations for end game hidden up their sleeve that they've been completely mum about.

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread