Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"There, the kid hears something he ain't heard in a long while..."
"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo, translated as Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, was developed by Intelligent Systems for the Super Famicom, and was released on January 21, 1994. The game circles around the story of Prince Marth, also known as "That Guy from Super Smash Bros. Melee." The game is divided into two books, the first being a remake of Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light for the NES. This LP will be covering Book 2, which is a continuation of the story from the first. If you want to see the first game, you can read DKII's LP of it here. In 2010, Book 2 had a remake for the DS known as Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow. Unfortunately, it was so late in the DS' life that Nintendo decided not to localize it, though there is a English fan translation. TenaCrane's LP of that translation can be found here.

Okay, but what IS Fire Emblem?

Fire Emblem is a series of turn-based strategy RPGs for the Nintendo consoles. While most of the games are separate continuities from each other a la Final Fantasy, they are always medieval themed, and share many gameplay mechanics, such as permanent death, the weapon triangle(which doesn't actually exist in this game), and promoting units to higher tiers of power. It is also somewhat famous for having what seems to be the most spiteful and hate-filled RNG ever. This game in particular came immediately after Fire Emblem: Gaiden, which was very much an "NES Sequel". This game worked on improving and solidifying the core game for the rest of the series to come.

Spoiler Policy

Since this game is a direct sequel to Fire Emblem 1, feel free to talk about anything that happens in that game. Anything past where we currently are in this game should generally be discussed with spoiler tags. Anything that spoils a different Fire Emblem game should be noted as such. Also, don't get crazy with conversations consisting of giant walls of black.

Table of Contents

Introduction
Chapter 1: Grunian Expedition
Appendix A: Stats and What They Mean
Chapter 2: Macedonian Rebels
Chapter 3: Abducted Princess
Chapter 4: Joy and Sorrow
Chapter 5: Grunia's Freedom
Chapter 6: Nest of Vice
Chapter 7: Scarlet Swordsman
Chapter 8: Soulful Bridge
Chapter 9: Sorcerer's Desert
Chapter 10: Two Sorcerers
Chapter 11: Anri's Way
Chapter 12: Dragon Graveyard
Chapter 13: Frozen Land
Chapter 14: Mystery Unveiled
Chapter 15: Prince's Return
Chapter 16: Storm the Capital
Chapter 17: Setting Sun of Gra
Chapter 18: Pass Battle
Chapter 19: Decisive Battle
Chapter 20: Dark Emperor
Bad Ending and Chapter 20 Ending
Final Chapter 1: Dragons' Dale
Final Chapter 2-1: Dragons' Altar
Final Chapter 2-2: The Dark Pontifex Lives
Final Chapter 2-3: Light and Shadow

Other Fire Emblem LPs

Fire Emblem 1: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light by DKII
Fire Emblem 2: Gaiden by Hafl
Fire Emblem 2: Gaiden by DKII
Fire Emblem 4: Geneology of the Holy War by Wind God Sety
Fire Emblem 5: Thracia 776 by Cake Attack
Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals by Artix74
Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword also by Artix74
Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones by Blastinus
Fire Emblem 9: Path of Radiance by Fedule
Fire Emblem 10: Radiant Dawn also by Fedule
Fire Emblem 11: Shadow Dragon by TenaCrane (requires archives)
Fire Emblem 12: New Mystery of the Emblem also by TenaCrane
Fire Emblem 13: Awakening by Tae

Romhack Stuff

The original thread by Artix74
Fire Emblem: The Last Promise by Blastinus
FIRE EMBLEM: DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS: OSTIAN PRINCESS by Endorph
Fire Emblem Girls by Ephraim225
Matthew's Nightmare by Adelheid
Fire Emblem 4: Binary by Miacis

DemonTrigger fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2014 around 08:43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

Our Current Crew:

Marth

Alan

Dismounted

Cecil

Dismounted

Mallesia

Katua

Dismounted

Linda

Paola

Dismounted

Julian

Machis

Mounted Bonus: +2 Str, +1 Skill, +3 Speed, +6 Res, +4 Move

Oguma

Yubello

Yumina

Sirius

Mounted Bonus: +1 Str, +3 Skill, +2 Def, +6 Res, +4 Move

Kashim

Sheeda

Dismounted

Feena

Minerva

Dismounted

Marich

Chainy

Chiki

Est

Dismounted

Abel

Dismounted

Astria

Sheema

Samson

Roshe

Mounted Bonus: +1 Str, +3 Skill, +3 Speed, +2 Def, +6 Res, +4 Move

Midia

Mounted Bonus: +2 Str, +3 Skill, +3 Speed, +2 Def, +6 Res, +4 Move

The Benchwarmers:

Luke

Mounted Bonus: +3 Move

Doga

Ryan

Gordon

Warren

Banutu

Ricardo

Rody

Dismounted

Samto

Wendel

Ellerean

Navarre

Kain

Dismounted

George

DemonTrigger fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2014 around 22:47

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

Ahhh, good old Nintendo. Let's see what we've got today.

Huh?

From what I can tell, the English text is there, but the game is still displaying as if they were Japanese characters. I will go ahead and summarize as best as I can.

"Long ago there were dragons, and they killed people and stuff."

Well, at least this one makes sense. Mostly.

"A god appeared and defeated all of the evil dragons,"

"using a divine sword and a shield adorned with five orbs."

"The dragons sealed their essence into dragonstones, becoming winged humans known as Manaketes. The earth dragons, who almost destroyed humanity, were sealed away underground."

"Then the god left, leaving behind the sword Falchion and the Binding Shield."

"The Earth dragons are going to come back though, so the chosen one will need to defeat them again."

And here is our nice looking title screen, complete with the Fire Emblem theme.

War of Darkness is a remake of the first Fire Emblem using this game's new mechanics. Instead, we want War of Heroes, which is a continuation of FE1's story.

OH MY GOD THE MODE 7 AAAAAAAAAA

War of Darkness, ended with the defeat of the Earth Dragon King Mediuth.

used up much strength. Among the countries that once made up the seven Kingdoms of Akaneia, Gra and Grunia were ruined. Aritia, Orleans, Macedonia, and Talis were also deeply scarred.

shaken by the war, an important event occurred. King Orleans' younger brother, Hardin, married Princess Nina and ascended as the 24th King of Akaneia. After becoming king, Hardin, although seemingly reluctant, instantly restored the country.

Akaneia, and declared himself Emperor. One year after the war with Durhua, the world seems to be entering a state of peace. But the wheels of fate appear to have a fault.

Here is Marth's home of Aritia. The map pans over to...

Chapter 1 - Grunian Expedition

Thanks to the efforts of Prince Marth, the Kingdom of Aritia, devastated by war, finally begins to stabilize. The knight Jeigan, who succeeded the ill Morodof, became the prince's tactician and helped him rule the country, by his side. Afterwards, Princess Sheeda was welcomed to Aritia, and her marriage with Prince Marth was announced. The citizens were happy for the pair's fortune and Sheeda was passionately welcomed to the country.

the imperial palace of Pales, containing an imperial order.

: Dear Prince Marth of Aritia,

At the Kingdom of Grunia, occupied by Akaneia, a huge rebellion has broken out. I request for your country to subdue Grunia. Your highness, please send Aritia's full army immediately, to quell Grunia's rebellion.

-Emperor Hardin

orders must be followed. The helpless Marth orders the knight Kain to protect his kingdom. And he leaves, along with Jeigan and the others, to an expedition to Grunia.

Every map starts with a quick pan around the map. The corner is the only area with anyone in it right now.

A bunch of bandits appear from the cave and position themselves around the eastern field.

And here is our ragtag bunch of soldiers!

: ask him directly.

And so we shall.

: We have already subdued most of the rebels. All that remains is fortress. Since you are here, I will leave the job of defeating the rebels' leader, General Lawrence, to you.
: Huh!? The leader of the rebels is General Lawrence!? Why would he rebel...?
: Oh... I don't know why. But it is a fact that he is hiding Grunia's prince. He's probably dreaming of restoring the Kingdom of Grunia. What a fool. He really thought his rebellion would be victorious? Lord Marth, you will kill Lawrence and bring back the hidden Grunian royal children. We will leave this to you, and pursue the escaping rebels. We must show those Grunian fools the consequences of opposing us.

: rebels. Then we will burn down any villages that harboured the rebels. That will stop them from contemplating rebellion again. Hahaha! I can almost see the tears on the faces of those fools.
: P.S. I am evil.

: You'd best follow my orders and not think about things too much. Or do you, also, intend to rebel against Akaneia!?
: What! Of course not...
: Then you'd better listen to my orders!! Lord Marth, don't think too highly of yourself. In my eyes you are just the prince of a weak country. With its power, Akaneia can destroy your country at any time. Don't forget about this! *leaves*

: ...Jeigan, what's going on? Why has Hardin handed over this country to such a man...?
: General Lang was once a noble of Akaneia. However, in the previous war, he supported the Durhua Empire. I heard that he stole from other people, to add to his own wealth. I fear he has continued his ways at Grunia, and caused suffering to its people. So General Lawrence's rebellion is completely understandable.

: If we don't inform Hardin of the truth, more innocent people will be killed.
: Your highness, I understand your feelings. However, Lawrence's rebellion is a fact. First, we must see how we can help him. Basically we should listen to what the citizens have to say, so we can affirm what has happened to this country. Then your highness can talk to General Lawrence personally
: But the rebels don't know that we're from Aritia. Can we reach the fortress safely?
: Don't worry. Most of the rebels have already fled. All that remains is Lawrence, and the children in the fortress. Blocking the path are only bandits, who have taken advantage of the confusion to raid villages. They are no problem for us.

No! Bad Jeigan! You're supposed to be helping!
: However, your highness, we have some fresh recruits in our army that could use some fighting experience. To them, bandits are relatively strong foes. So be careful not to push them too much. If possible, I would have liked to fight as well, but my body is not what it used to be. I will stay by your highness's side, as your tactician. Well, your highness, we should go!

And with that, we get dumped into gameplay.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

Now that we are in control, let's have a look at our units.

Marth is once again our Lord for this game. If Marth dies at any point, the game is over. The game will continue if anyone else dies, but dead units stay dead forever. As far as being a unit, Marth has pretty decent stats to start, and great Speed as well.

The rest of our army is surprisingly generic despite having individual portraits and everything. These three are Social Knights, known more commonly as Cavaliers. They tend to have average stats and can get around really well with their 9 movement. Note that their swords are greyed out, I will explain that in a bit.

Alan here is a Paladin, which is a Social Knight who has promoted. So instead of being level 3, he is more like level 23, with stats that don't match at all. While powerful now, he will quickly become useless.

These guys are our Archers, bow wielding soldiers who are kind of slow, both speed-wise and movement-wise. They are brothers as you can tell from the Fire Emblem method of siblings sharing hair color and style.

And this guy is our Armor Knight, a big wall of defense. He probably won't be able to keep up with the rest of our forces, but when he can, he takes the punishment pretty well, and can even dish out a decent amount of pain himself.

Here is what most of our opposition looks like. The only thing remarkable about them is their HP, otherwise they tend to miss quite a bit due to using axes and having 0 Skill. Also note that enemies do not have a Luck or Weapon Level stat.

Up on the pass are these Hunters, bow users who are more damage focused than the Archers. They are going to be annoying, but they will drop like rocks.

Unlike the previous Fire Emblem games, you can select any unit, enemy or friendly, to see their range of movement. Unfortunately, you can't tell their attack range with this. In this case, Doga moves next to the right bandit.

And decides to attack him. Wait is self explanatory, and weapons and items (which Doga doesn't have) lets you change weapons, use items, or trade with others.

This window shows your character's stats with the current weapon. Steel weapons are powerful, but less accurate and heavy, where as Iron weapons are accurate and light, but aren't as strong.

Then this screen shows the enemy stats. Later Fire Emblem games display these next to your stats to make calculating easier. In any case, Doga attacks the bandit.

In battle, each unit gets a round to attack, which means that your units should be wary if they will get killed on the counter. In this case, Doga doesn't even get hit, but he would only recieve 2 damage anyway.

After battle, your unit gets EXP equal to how much damage dealt, up to a maximum of 10 per battle. It takes 100 EXP to level regardless of current level.

Gordon gives his Steel Bow to his little brother, as he won't be needing it.

Bows attack from two spaces away. This is good as enemies cannot counterattack if they do not have a ranged weapon.

Ryan kills the bandit Doga weakened. Every enemy class has a specific amount of experience that they give when killed (in this case, Bandits are worth 32EXP). This is the same regardless of unit levels, which means that you could level up Alan several times, although you would gain little from doing so.

Speaking of Alan, he gives up his Steel Sword so that Marth doesn't have to waste his precious Rapier. The Silver Lance is a very powerful weapon, with the only drawbacks being a high price and low durability. Amazingly it only requires 7 Weapon Level to wield, but I'm going to save it for now.

When a unit's attack speed is much higher than their opponent's, they get to attack a second time in the same battle. This is insanely helpful.

Javelins can attack from both 1 and 2 squares away, although they have poor accuracy and 20(!) weight.

Fortunately Luke hits this time.

Now for the Slim Lance. It's even weaker than the Iron Lance, but is very light and improves crit rate a bit.

So while it doesn't hit as hard, it will usually hit twice, making it useful against low defense enemies.

Rody picks up the kill. Most of the kills this map are going to Rody and Ryan, so that I will not have to baby them nearly as much later.

With no one left to move, we end our turn.

Time for enemy phase.

Oh goody. Enemy reinforcements. They work like they do in FE1; they get to move on the same turn they appear. Fortunately, these are only thieves, so they aren't so bad.

While bow users are decent at hitting from range, their main weakness is not being able to fight back during enemy phase, because the AI will always prefer to attack from a range where they won't be countered.

The other bandit goes for Cecille. This works about as well as expected.

And the thief is stuck moving really slowly across those mountains. Back to player phase.

Rody finishes the bandit Cecille fought.

Meanwhile, Luke visits the house next to the mountains. Houses will either tell you backstory, gameplay hints, or tips on the current map.

: General Lawrence, and allowed him to freely rule. However, after Hardin became Emperor, he removed General Lawrence's power and sent Lang's army here. Lang stole everything from us. Not just money, but also food, clothes, and even our loved ones were... Ah... If only General Camus was still here, then we wouldn't need to fear Lang.

Doga and Ryan repeat their combo against the remaining bandit. Marth visits the left house in the middle group.

: Princess Yumina and Prince Yubello, twins of 13 to 14 years of age. The King was scared of Garnef, so he sent the two to Khadein. I heard they were held as hostages and held inside a dark room. When they were finally rescued by Wendel, they were on the brink of death. The bishop immediately took them to a monastery in Khadein to care for them.

Cecille shows off a new feature to FE3, the Dismount command.

When you dismount, your Social Knight changes into a Knight class. When they change to a knight, their movement goes down, but they can travel over mountains, and they use their swords instead of their lances. If Alan were to dismount, he would also become a Knight, and I believe he would lose some stats while dismounted. You can mount and dismount at will, but doing so will lock your move.

Another Thief spawns and moves onto the mountain range, but nothing else happens on the enemy phase.

Rody dismounts and uses his Iron Sword against this bandit. Swords have less power, but are accurate and light, allowing Rody to double this bandit.

Kablam! Critical hits do 3 times the damage of a normal hit (in this case 3 times 7). A critical will kill or gravely injure any unit unless they have high defense.

Some enemies drop items when defeated. In this case, Rody takes the bandit's Vulnery, which is a healing item. Alan visits the house on the right coast.

: At that time, Talis was not unified, and there were conflicts between the island tribes. The general helped a youthful chief to unite the island. From that day on, the general and the chief, now the current King Talis, have always been in contact.

Hmmm, I wonder if that will end up meaning anything?

Cecille starts fighting the thieves. Mountains give 25% avoid, but that doesn't do either party any favors. Cecille isn't in any danger, even though it looks like it. Gordon has nothing to do, so he visits the house next to Marth.

: took them all away. Especially beautiful girls, who were all taken by General Lang. What kind of world has this become?

The big house there is a Village. Marth is the only one that can visit villages, but they give you items, weapons, and other stuff.

: She hasn't even finished her training as a sister.
: Don't worry, old lady. We're not going to take this child.
: Huh...? Aren't you a soldier of the Empire?
: No... You've got the wrong idea. We haven't come here to fight. If you require anything, please ask. We have some food, please take it if you want.

Also known as Together We Ride, this version is missing percussion for some reason.

: Actually I have already become of age... But, my grandmother lied for me so the soldiers wouldn't take me away. Well, I know if I stay here I will eventually be discovered and captured by the imperial soldiers. Lang's soldiers are like beasts. But, you're different. You have very kind eyes. Please, take me out of this country and to your own country. Is that alright, grandmother?
: Ah, of course. You will be much safer compared to here. Young lad, I beg of you. Please protect this girl.

: This child, like me in the past, is a beautiful girl. She will definitely make a fine wife. Mallesia, if this youth was to be your husband, you would be happy, right?
: Honestly, grandmother. It's far too early. Mallesia doesn't know what to do.

Well, after that very strange derail, we have a new character! As you can tell from her stats and having no weapons, Mallesia does not fight.

Oh wait, village time.

: raise them at Grunia. When the Emperor found out, he ordered him to hand over the children. The general hid the children away because he feared they would be killed. Following that, he lost his power, and then Commander Lang came. In order to find the children, Lang performed many atrocities. Eventually, we rebelled because we could no longer stand him. But, everything's over. The people of this country will all be killed by Lang!

Anyway, Sisters (Clerics) have the power to use Staves. Staves do many different things, but right now all we have is the power to heal. This is still very useful.

This might seem like a waste, but she will gain EXP for every heal, which means the best way to level her is to heal every scratch and scrape no matter how small. This is also a great improvment over FE1, where Clerics gained EXP only by getting smacked by the enemy.

Our position at the start of enemy phase. Note that yet another Thief has spawned.

The bandit in the pass has a Hand Axe, which is like a Javelin, except it's much weaker and even less accurate.

Notice that the thief kept going instead of killing Cecille; Thieves will usually avoid fighting in order to try to sack villages. If they get to a village before Marth does, whatever was there will be lost. This is definitely a bad thing.

Alan visits the building in the back. These are armories.

Weapons have limited durability, so it is good to pick up a few extras just in case. It also helps to have some weapons for different situations. Here I grab 3 Iron Lances, 2 Javelins, and an Iron Bow.

Every character only has 4 spaces for weapons and 4 for items. When you get any more, you have to send stuff to the supply.

The supply is a magical space pocket that only Marth and anyone next to him can access. In this case, Marth gives the weapons in there to Mallesia, and Gordon and Doga move over and take them.

Rody parks on the mountain and waits. Even if both the handaxe guy and the Hunter hit him, he will not die from them.

Thieves are worth a whopping 40 EXP, which causes Ryan to get our first Level Up. If you are wondering why I am on my knees praying, that is because level ups are randomized against a character's growth rates, meaning a normally good character can get completely screwed, or vice-versa. In this case...

...that's ok I guess. Ryan is going to need Strength and Speed or he's going to find himself doing barely anything to most foes.

And here we are. Even more thieves appear, and Luke is coming to take over for Cecille, although that ends up not being necessary.

Handaxe guy manages to hit Rody on a 25% chance, but Rody gets him back and gets a pretty decent level for it.

Even without the defense increase, this guy wouldn't have finished off Rody, although the constant stream of arrows is going to be annoying.

Rody takes a swig of his Vulnery, as his defense lets him go another round without dying. Vulnerys have 3 uses, so they're pretty helpful in a pinch, at least until 10 HP becomes a drop in the bucket.

Mallesia helps Cecille get back to weakening thieves for Ryan.

Like that. The only ones who can cross the mountain terrain are Marth and the dismounted Social Knights, so this is the only way to train Ryan up.

Luke is on standby to relieve Rody, while Gordon is here just in case.

Especially because of this. Handaxe guy is standing on a fort, which not only gives 20 avoid, but also heals a unit parked there at the start of their phase. Between that, the hunter, and the inability to use Doga, this pass is a huge pain to get through.

Rody takes another two hits, and misses one against the bandit.

So Rody tags out with Luke to go heal. Luke misses once, but also dodges the counter.

Cecille and Ryan keep operating the thief grinder.

Handaxe guy gets to live for now, but his time is coming...

Rody gets fully healed up, especially since he'll have to brave the pass without Mallesia nearby.

Finally, Handaxe guy is no more.

Ryan's thief hunting is at least turning out to be productive.

(I borrowed a page from DKII's book. I think it's a pretty good way for these early games.)

I finally get around to having Alan pass out weapons.

Rody misses the first hit, so he makes up for it by critting him on the second.

Stepping on the fort starts a cutscene. So a General, a Sister, and a Mercenary walk into a castle. The General says to the Mercenary...

: reached this stage... Lord Oguma, I am deeply sorry for getting you involved in all of this. But, could you listen to one last request of mine?

...I don't get it.

Oguma looks pretty handsome for a guy with a face scar.
: If there is anything I can do for you, please ask.
: Is that so...? Then, I ask of you... Please send these children to Macedonia. These children... Prince Yubello and Princess Yumina are the children of the late King Grunia. I have always been protecting them in secret, but that is no longer possible. If they fell into General Lang's hands, I bet he would execute them without question. Please, take these children to Wendel at Macedonia.
: I understand... I will protect these two with my life.
: Truly? Thank you... Well, Prince Yubello, Princess Yumina, you will escape with Lord Oguma.

: Princess Yumina... I am afraid I cannot leave. My body is in such agony that even walking pains me. So, please don't worry about me. You two must flee.
: Why... Why must you say that...? Lawrence, you fought to protect us. That's why you suffered such a heavy wound. How can you tell us to leave you!? I will not go. I will not leave your side!!
: What should we do, General?
: Hmm... This is troublesome. Yumina will undoubtedly stick to her word... I apologise, Lord Oguma. You may leave.

: I will find Lang and kill him... I will use my blade to send him to his grave. If I succeed, perhaps the nearby enemies will retreat. General Lawrence, you must live to see that day. ...Don't get yourself killed!!

And Ryan finshes off the last thief. Nothing left for him to do now but twiddle his fingers I guess.

Stepping on the fort also causes all the remaining bandits to swarm you.

Rody dodges, but ends up missing an attack again. For those odds, he sure is missing a lot. I miss True Hit sometimes.

This guy ends up hitting, however. Good thing the fort will regen some of this back.

Mallesia gets Marth ready as it is time for him to do something besides errand prince.

Rody isn't having this anymore, and proceeds to bring this guy to 3 HP.

Then kills him on the player phase, getting this. 8 Defense is nice, but you need Strength, young man.

Luke moves up to plug the gap, that way no more bandits can get in to fight.

He also brought the pain to this guy, although he was only 1 damage from killing him in one round. The usual hail of arrows continues.

Now Luke can finish this chump off.

I moved Rody back to make room for Marth, not checking to see that Marth's 7 move allows him to get all the way to the front. In any case, Rody gives him the Vulnery to pass to Luke. Just in case.

Marth is a pretty cool dude. The bandits could potentially kill him, but he ends up dodging most of them anyway.

The guy he injures didn't even attack. Although he probably should have used some of that Vulnery himself.

In the process, Mallesia gains a level healing boo-boos. Sisters only really need Str and WLvl, and this has both. A good level.

Imagine those bandits going down the same way as before. Marth gets a good level for all of his effort. With only the lone hunter left, Marth visits the final house.

: good. In any case, if he continues fighting it will be difficult for others to improve.

I think this is the second time we've been told not to rely too much on Alan. At least they explained why he sucks now.

Luke takes care of the last hunter. These guys don't move, so this becomes extra pathetic.

Speaking of pathetic... Yeah, I know he needs the skill, but not even an HP with that? With no one else left, let's check out the boss.

Oh... wow. His 17 defense means that only Alan with the Silver Lance or Marth with the Rapier can scratch him. That Broken Lance means he won't be hitting us though.

As if fighting him wasn't already pointless enough, he's standing on a castle gate, which is just like a fort but with 30 Avoid.

Luke tries his luck anyway.

: So even Aritia wants to cause suffering to my people?

This is the most pointless battle ever. Getting parried means that you did 0 damage, idiot. At least it still makes that "tink" sound.

Talk is a command that only appears when you get a specific unit next to another. It ends up converting people over to your side a lot of the time. If you still didn't get the idea that Marth and Lawrence should talk, the fact that neither side can kill the other easily should tip you off.

: Although I knew the enemy's reinforcements had come, but I didn't expect it was you... It is a shame that we must fight Aritia... And fight against your highness...
: Please wait. I don't intend to fight with you. From the citizens I have discovered disturbing facts about the atrocities performed by the occupation army. I will inform Emperor Hardin about these facts. If I meet him, I will definitely be able to rescue Grunia. So, please, put away your weapon.
: Your highness... I appreciate your favour. But that is impossible. Your highness, you don't know a thing.

: Lang here for no reason? He wanted to provoke us into rebelling, so that the Kingdom of Grunia would be completely destroyed and become ruled by the Empire. That is the reason why he sent such a cold blooded man here.
: What? Why would!? I cannot possibly believe that Hardin would do such a thing.
: I didn't expect you to accept the truth so quickly. However, since he became Emperor he has completely changed. He is no longer the Hardin that your highness once knew. Anyway, I believe we're finished here... However, your highness, I have just one last request.

: Please save those children. If you can promise me that, I will have no regrets. Lord Marth... Let's just say that in exchange for my life, these children... I will hand them in your care...

: General Lawrence!! How could you...

Well that is certainly one way to go out I guess... Magic artifact or medieval C4? You decide!

Well no point in staying and lamenting. The actual objective of every map is to get Marth to the castle/throne and have him seize it. 99% of the time, it's the thing the boss is sitting on.

: I also get to be in this scene. I don't care that I have no dialogue. My presence says volumes.

: You fiends!! Don't come near us! Otherwise, we'll kill ourselves!!
: No! You've got it wrong...

Oh hey, look who conveniently showed up.
: Ah... Lord Marth. You finally caught the rebels?
: General Lang! Wait! Those children are innocent. Can you hand them to us?
: Lord Marth, why are you trying to plead with the comically evil villain?
: That isn't possible. Prisoners of war must be taken to my castle. I must also execute them as soon as possible, so that other people dare not defy us.

: The Macedonian army has rebelled, and its princess appears to have been captured by them. Emperor Hardin has ordered that you go and rescue Princess Minerva.
: What? Macedonia? I understand, General. If it's to rescue Princess Minerva, I will gladly go.

: Okay, this is just sad. He's not going to give them to you.
: Don't be stubborn, your highness! When I said no, I meant it. Well, you two, come over here!
: No, let go of me! Yubello, help me!
: Yumina... Yumina...
: Wait, wait!! Lang! Release those children!

: Told you.
: Your highness, please calm down! If we fight now, we will become traitors. On top of that, we currently don't have the strength to oppose Lang's army.

: Right now... No matter what, we must stay calm! If we go to Macedonia... And we successfully rescue Princess Minerva, Macedonia may be able to help us. Your highness, please stay calm for now. We must first go to Macedonia!

Next Time: We stay calm and go to Chapter 2 - Macedonian Rebels
-----------------

Marth - Level 3 Lord
HP:
22(90%) Lck: 8(70%)
Str: 6(50%) WLv: 7(40%)
Skl: 8(40%) Def: 7(20%)
Spd: 9(50%) Res: 0(3%)*

The percentage next to each number is the growth rate, or the chance that stat will improve upon leveling up.

Marth is our Lord, and like him or not, we are stuck with him. He is pretty good for most of the early game, being incredibly fast and decently powerful. He starts to become a problem in the middle, as he does not promote, which severely limits his potential. Just hope that the few levels he gets are good ones, and everything will be fine.

Fun Fact: In Marth's art for this game (which is where his design for Smash Brothers onward comes from), he is wearing pants, yet he doesn't wear pants in the game itself.

*Every single unit in this game has a 3% Resistance growth, so I will omit that from everyone else.

Alan - Level 3 Paladin
HP:
22(10%) Lck: 4(0%)
Str: 8(10%) WLv: 10(10%)
Skl: 8(10%) Def: 10(10%)
Spd: 11(10%) Res: 6

And THIS is why Alan is bad. With 10%s in every stat and 0% luck, he will almost never improve, even if you got him to 20. He has a couple of uses in the early game, either by weakening for other allies, or getting somewhere fast, but he is generally someone you send to the bench and never bring back.

Cecil - Level 3 Social Knight
HP:
19(50%) Lck: 6(30%)
Str: 7(30%) WLv: 7(70%)
Skl: 7(60%) Def: 7(10%)
Spd: 8(60%) Res: 0

Of the starting Social Knights, Cecil is going to have amazing accuracy and speed, but her main issues are going to be her low Defense growth and somewhat shaky HP growth. Otherwise, she is pretty easily interchangable with the other two, and it is going to end up coming down to the RNG's preference. She can also wield Alan's Silver Lance right off the bat, which is a plus.

(I prefer the name Cecille personally, as Cecil sounds more like a guy's name to me.)

Rody - Level 1 Social Knight
HP:
20(70%) Lck: 5(40%)
Str: 5(40%) WLv: 5(60%)
Skl: 5(50%) Def: 6(20%)
Spd: 6(50%) Res: 0

Rody has pretty good growths, and nice even bases. If you put the effort into leveling him, he usually won't dissapoint. He can possibly get RNG screwed by not hitting certain stats ever (such as strength), but stat boosters can easily correct for that.

Luke - Level 2 Social Knight
HP:
20(90%) Lck: 4(10%)
Str: 7(30%) WLv: 5(40%)
Skl: 5(30%) Def: 7(20%)
Spd: 7(40%) Res: 0

Luke has pretty good bases, and starts out fast and strong, but has poor growths. As such, he has the most potential to get completely screwed by the RNG. Still his bases are strong enough that he can coast on them for a couple stages.

Ryan - Level 1 Archer
HP:
18(60%) Lck: 3(30%)
Str: 5(40%) WLv: 5(40%)
Skl: 4(70%) Def: 6(20%)
Spd: 4(40%) Res: 0

Archers tend to be looked down upon because of their slow movement and vulnerability to melee, not to mention that this game has Hunters, who have an extra movement and better stats for their role. All that aside, Ryan isn't a bad Archer at all. As long as he hits his Strength and Speed growths enough, he will become an amazing unit upon promotion.

Gordon - Level 5 Archer
HP:
21(40%) Lck: 5(40%)
Str: 7(30%) WLv: 7(60%)
Skl: 7(30%) Def: 8(10%)
Spd: 6(30%) Res: 0

Compared to his brother, Gordon has worse growths, but already starts at Level 5, so he doesn't need to be babied at all. Usually Ryan will turn out better, but Gordin can still turn out to be a decent unit. He also has great Weapon Level growth, letting him use any bow much sooner that Ryan on average.

Doga - Level 6 Armor Knight
HP:
22(60%) Lck: 2(20%)
Str: 8(20%) WLv: 6(40%)
Skl: 4(40%) Def: 11(10%)
Spd: 4(40%) Res: 0

Doga is very durable, but has mediocre growths and his poor movement. His growths for his actual defensive stats are as bad as Cecille's, but his bases are pretty huge. Unfortunately, he will lose usefulness halfway through the game, as there will be enemies who can hit straight through his 11 Defense.

(In Japanese, Dohga spelled backwards is gahdo. His localized name(Draug) works the same way.)

Mallesia - Level 1 Sister
HP:
16(40%) Lck: 12(30%)
Str: 1(30%) WLv: 5(70%)
Skl: 1(20%) Def: 1(10%)
Spd: 4(50%) Res: 0

Mallesia is our first healer, and is pretty good at it. That Weapon Level growth is necessary, as there is a really good staff that requires 20 Weapon Level. Her strength growth is low, but as long as she hits it a few times, she'll be fine. She will also have a couple of staves later on that only she can use.

DemonTrigger fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2013 around 05:35

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

Appendix A: Stats and What They Mean

This appendix is mainly aimed at people who have never played a Fire Emblem game before, but will also explain the calculations in FE3. Let's use Marth's stats as a reference.

The stats in the center window are the primary stats, and these are the ones that go up every level. The left window has the secondary stats, which are derived from the primary stats and the weapon equipped.

Primary Stats:

Strength:
Determines the damage you deal. Also affects magical abilities, as there is no Magic stat in this game.
Skill: Affects accuracy and critical rates.
Speed: Helps determine Attack Speed, and also affects Avoid.
Luck: Affects Avoid and solely determines Critical Avoid. Also affects other calculations that we've yet to see.
Weapon Level: Certain amounts are required in order to wield better weapons.
Defense: Lowers damage recieved from physical attacks.
Resistance: Lowers damage recieved from magical attacks.
Maximum HP: Determines the amount of damage you can take. Hitting 0 HP means you die.
Move: Determines how far a unit can move per turn. Rougher terrain requires more Move to cross. This is determined solely by Class.

Secondary Stats:

Attack:
Weapon Might + Strength. The enemy's Defense/Resistance is subtracted from this to get the actual damage.
Accuracy: Weapon Accuracy + (Skill * 2) + Support Bonus(I will explain this shortly. Just keep it in mind). This number can exceed 100, but the display will only show 100.
Avoid: Speed + Luck + Support + Terrain. This is subtracted from the opponent's Accuracy to determine the actual chance to hit.
Critical: Weapon Critical + Skill + Support. This goes against an opponent's Crit Avoid(which is just Luck + Support) to determine the chance of a critical happening.
Attack Speed: Speed - Weapon Weight. If Attack Speed is 3 or more higher than the opponent's, you get to attack twice in a battle.
Effect: (Weapon Might * 3) + Strength. This is the Attack if attacking an enemy that the weapon is effective against. For example, Marth's Rapier is effective against Social and Armor Knights, and their promotions.

Support Bonuses:

If two units who are friends, siblings, lovers, or otherwise have a connection are within 3 spaces of each other, they receive a bonus to Accuracy, Avoid, Crit, and Crit Avoid. The bonus is different for each support, and unlike more modern Fire Emblems, these are active from the start. For example, Cecille gives 5 support bonus to both Luke and Rody, but recieves 10 from Rody and 0 from Luke.

True Hit:

True Hit is not in this game, but I feel I should explain what it is since it might come up in discussion. Basically, in almost every Fire Emblem game since 6, the game rolls two random numbers for Hit instead of one and averages them. This causes Hit%s above 50 to be more accurate than displayed, while Hit%s below 50 become less accurate than displayed. More information here: http://serenesforest.net/general/truehit.html

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

Look at that Mode 7 artistry!

I've never actually played this particular installment of the series, so I'm looking forward to this!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Looking forward to seeing how this game compares to its remake in FE12.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

Wow, this looks really good for its day. Having just recently beaten FE12 on Hard, it'll be nice to see how the original measures up to the remake. (The script looks to be very close to the one used by the FE12 patch, which is nice. Some patches aren't quite so consistent...)

About the only problem I can see gameplay-wise is that Doga took forever to stomp his way over to that bandit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IT'S NOT A TOOMER

Well, this will be interesting to see once TenaCrane's LP resumes, comparing the original to the remake and see what's been changed (if anything).

Also, oh glorious Mode 7, how I remember the days when you were the new hotness. Good times.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, this will be interesting to see once TenaCrane's LP resumes, comparing the original to the remake and see what's been changed (if anything).
I can't recall how far TenaCrane had got, however; Not much, at least so far. This map and everything to do with it is basically exactly the same as it's FE12 counterpart.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

You don't understand my problems! I can't even promote till the end of the game!

And with that, the circle is finally complete. Now all we need is for someone to pick up Awakening in May and Fire Emblem Appreciation Season will have finally run its course for good.

So far it's interesting how little they changed for FE12 compared to the original (reclassing aside, for obvious reasons). I guess it shows how much better of a game FE3 was than FE1, considering that Shadow Dragon was also a pretty faithful remake.

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

I pick up my Devil Axe...
...and DEVIL!

Now I'm imagining what remakes in the future will be like when they bring some of Awakening's tweaks and innovations to the older games. Being able to select two different levels of threat range? That's a keeper.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

A Fire Emblem thread where Artix didn't snipe the first non-OP post? Madness.

It is kinda surprising that FE12 apparently didn't change as much as I thought it did. Seems the biggest change was putting pants on everybody's sprites. And the animations. That bandit shuffle is amazing and I'm glad you gif'ed it.

Awakening has put me in such a Fire Emblem mood, so it's cool to see this up and running. Looking forward to the rest.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Who did Doga piss off to get those growths?

Volt Catfish
Jan 14, 2010

But what will you do when they come looking for you, friend?

Artix posted:

And with that, the circle is finally complete. Now all we need is for someone to pick up Awakening in May and Fire Emblem Appreciation Season will have finally run its course for good.

Unfortunately I think the amount of dudes here that have one of those 3DS Capture things is very low

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Who did the artwork for FE3 and FE4? I like the portraits of the two games more than the other FE games. And it is odd for Mallesia's grandma to have individual portrait in this game and not in FE12.

I'm glad your LP visits all the houses on the map as the FE12 LP doesn't.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

The artwork and color direction for this game is really really nice. Didn't remotely expect that, but the portraits and drawings are quite pretty.

Interesting to see the introduction of the dismount mechanic, I thought FE5 was the first and last one to really use it (I don't really count FE4's iteration). Makes me vaguely curious how a FE5 remake would end up looking like if they ever end up doing it.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Did that guy just blow himself up? Was there an explosion sound and everything? I hope this is a thing in this game.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

I really dig the artwork in this game. Also Holy crap Doga! Man, your remake version is so much better. A knight with a 10% defense growth?

edit:
^ Yes he literally explodes, sound effect and all.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2013 around 14:00

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

DemonTrigger posted:

Fun Fact: In Marth's art for this game (which is where his design for Smash Brothers onward comes from), he is wearing pants, yet he doesn't wear pants in the game itself.

The point stands, but Marth's art is a little strange in that they really look more like hose. This is consistent with the time period they're trying to emulate, I guess, but then it raises the question of why everybody else is wearing pants.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Encounter Theme A/Together We Ride is such a great tune.

Nthing the "I dig this game's art" sentiment. It... works a lot better than FE12's.

Like I buy that this dude is a wide-eyed naive idealist, but the Marth in FE12 is too... regal? I guess?

(It also helps that the characters don't all look dead-eyed in this version).

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

...and DEVIL!

Yeah, I don't think Shirow's particular take on the FE style really worked in FE11 and 12, certainly compared to the art in this title. In Marth's case in particular his Shadow Dragon art is pretty grim faced. In New Mystery, I think the art is too...static? The faces just don't really emote; they look stiff. The exaggerations we see in FE3 help to sell the personalities better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Honestly, the FE11/12 art would have probably worked better for remakes of Genealogy and Thracia.

Though I don't really like the 11/12 art much at all. It's technically competent, it's just... kind of bland to look at, I guess?

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

...and DEVIL!

Definitely going with bland. The design of things like Minerva's armor was great, but everything else was pretty dull.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Also the battle animations. It almost looks as if they tried animating jpg files.
They look especially bad with desert backgrounds.

I kinda like the clunky walk animations in this but they clearly show that skipping those in later games was a good choice.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

I finished Chapter 2 and should have it written up either tomorrow or Wednesday. In the meantime, here is what you have to look forward to:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

I don't think the FE12 Dracoknights were that tough in Chapter 2. 10 Strength and 13 Defence, this early?

That reminds me, are some classes still without promotions in this one?

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

Yapping Eevee posted:

That reminds me, are some classes still without promotions in this one?

Fighters still don't have a promotion, but I'll go over that in a chapter or two. Other than that, everyone promotes the same way as in FE12 (Hunters into Horsemen, Armor Knights into Generals, etc.)

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I don't think Shirow's particular take on the FE style really worked in FE11 and 12, certainly compared to the art in this title. In Marth's case in particular his Shadow Dragon art is pretty grim faced. In New Mystery, I think the art is too...static? The faces just don't really emote; they look stiff. The exaggerations we see in FE3 help to sell the personalities better.

Shirow only did the official art for SD though. The designer (and artist for FE12) is someone named Daisuke Izuka, as far as I know. Anyway, the funny thing about this game is that this was the first Fire Emblem game that had an actual artist in the dev team. Apparently, they just had some random programmer who could also draw big anime eyes and stuff do the work for 1 and 2.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

"A superstitious cowardly lot," right buddy?

I never got the IntSys obsession with remaking and sequeling this same boring world, plot and characters. The one (two) time(s) they've taken the basic mechanics and applied them to a moderately original plot(s) has apparently horrified them so much they went right into back-to-back sequels as penance.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

You're saying...
Chawacters in this game...
...can die permanently?!

Oh boy, Full Fire Emblem Coverage™ (Awakening notwithstanding) achieved. And, yeah, I didn't know that this game a) looked this good and b) was where Together We Ride came from (although, yeah, it's weird without that upbeat percussion track).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Relax. Where you're going, there is no weapon triangle.

Fedule posted:

Oh boy, Full Fire Emblem Coverage™ (Awakening notwithstanding) achieved. And, yeah, I didn't know that this game a) looked this good and b) was where Together We Ride came from (although, yeah, it's weird without that upbeat percussion track).

I'm not entirely sure about this, but based on what little I can hear of the encounter theme, which is about half a second because my school's wifi does not agree with Tindeck, I think it's mislabeled; FE3 has two versions of Together We Ride for each book. Book 1 has a version that's a lot more upbeat and triumphant sounding with a snazzy percussion track, which is Encounter Theme A, while Book 2 has a more somber and orchestral take without the percussion, which is Encounter Theme B. Also, the song originated in the first game for the Famicom and actually did have a snazzy percussion track.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Xander77 posted:

I never got the IntSys obsession with remaking and sequeling this same boring world, plot and characters. The one (two) time(s) they've taken the basic mechanics and applied them to a moderately original plot(s) has apparently horrified them so much they went right into back-to-back sequels as penance.

Well I think FE3 is still by far the biggest seller in the series in Japan so I think it's just an example of overly conservative revisiting of profit.

Although to be fair, I'm willing to be that FE3 was meant to be a pure sequel at first, but then they tossed the original in since the new hardware allowed them the space and ability to remake.

Also to be fair, Shadow Dragon did introduce the reclassing mechanic, which looks like it's here to stay for the rest of the series.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2013 around 21:38

Oraculum Animi
Sep 13, 2007

I noticed that some of the cavaliers are off of their horses. How does that work or happen? Can do you choose to hop on or off your horse?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012
HI HERE WE GO HERE WE GO HERE WE GO

quote:

Anyway, the funny thing about this game is that this was the first Fire Emblem game that had an actual artist in the dev team. Apparently, they just had some random programmer who could also draw big anime eyes and stuff do the work for 1 and 2.

Huh...that explains so much...

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

"How's it go 'gain?"
"Yeah, that's the one"

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm not entirely sure about this, but based on what little I can hear of the encounter theme, which is about half a second because my school's wifi does not agree with Tindeck, I think it's mislabeled; FE3 has two versions of Together We Ride for each book. Book 1 has a version that's a lot more upbeat and triumphant sounding with a snazzy percussion track, which is Encounter Theme A, while Book 2 has a more somber and orchestral take without the percussion, which is Encounter Theme B. Also, the song originated in the first game for the Famicom and actually did have a snazzy percussion track.

I knew about this, but had no idea which was which, as they are labelled "Encounter Theme" and "Theme of Encounter" in the SPC I have.

This guy is my favorite.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Salarymen can protect the peace too!

Shiki Dan posted:

Well I think FE3 is still by far the biggest seller in the series in Japan so I think it's just an example of overly conservative revisiting of profit.

Although to be fair, I'm willing to be that FE3 was meant to be a pure sequel at first, but then they tossed the original in since the new hardware allowed them the space and ability to remake.

Also to be fair, Shadow Dragon did introduce the reclassing mechanic, which looks like it's here to stay for the rest of the series.

It seems weird to base your market projections for 2008(Shadow Dragon) and 2010(New Mystery) because a game released in 1994 in an entirely different era of gaming was your best seller.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

You don't understand my problems! I can't even promote till the end of the game!

Kanos posted:

It seems weird to base your market projections for 2008(Shadow Dragon) and 2010(New Mystery) because a game released in 1994 in an entirely different era of gaming was your best seller.

Is FE6 (2002) recent enough of a benchmark for you? Because that's number two after FE3, and aside from the obvious mechanical updates, it follows FE3's playbook to the letter. Admittedly that probably has something to do with Roy being in Smash Bros three months before FE6's launch.

Artix fucked around with this message at Feb 20, 2013 around 04:18

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Salarymen can protect the peace too!

Artix posted:

Is FE6 (2002) recent enough of a benchmark for you? Because that's number two after FE3, and aside from the obvious mechanical updates, it follows FE3's playbook to the letter. Admittedly that probably has something to do with Roy being in Smash Bros three months before FE6's launch.

I think the Smash marketing blitz pushed FE6 over the top far more than similarity to a game released almost a decade earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

Shiki Dan posted:

I always imagined that it was just a lead-up to FE13, which does promote the fact that Marth is in it. Basically easing you into the lore of Archanea once more, since no one remembers what on earth happened in the 90s.

«12 »