Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'm just going to lay claim to a Hollow here; it'll be up when I get back home.

As for a title? Omnia Vincit Amor, how's that? Or Monster Teen Drama Bullshit, that works too.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
My god, how fast ARE you people!?

Emmet Lowe, the Hollow

Lots of people wonder what and where they've come from, and wonder what they were put on the earth for. Emmet Lowe, for all his other problems, doesn't have to wonder about those questions. He's made of white clay, marble dust, plaster of Paris, water of life, and a special capsule; he came from the imagination of his Creator/Master/Father, a sculptor-artist with a particular side-interest in alchemy and Kabbalistic mysticism, and ownership of a massive kiln; he was originally created to act as a manservant in the stead of said artist's previous retiring caretaker. He looks the way he does to facilitate that sort of valet duty, and to not draw too much attention--10 foot tall, top-heavy, magically animated clay figurine would evoke a lot more screams than 6 foot tall, pale, somewhat androgynous living garden ornament. Even if said living garden ornament didn't need to breathe, eat, sleep, speak, blink...or think.

He only gained those a few months ago, when, in a sudden epiphany about what immortal life actually entailed and how mortals ought to pursue it, the artist placed one last capsule in his mouth and placed him in the kiln one last time. Some people call themselves reborn as spiritual beings with water; he was quite literally reborn as a sentient being with fire. Unfortunately, the artist died not long afterwards, leaving the newly bright, always polite Emmet without much of a place in the world. But Master left behind a big private library with lots of pretty pictures--both his own and those made by others--so the world can't be all that bad, right?

...right?

pre:
Look: Immaculate, Soulless Eyes
Origin: Homunculus

Hot -1
Cold 0
Volatile 1
Dark 1

Conditions

A Blank Canvas
When you take an action that embodies one of the Conditions that you have, 
and you allow that Condition to influence your sense of self, cross it
off and add 1 to your roll.

Better Than Nothing
When you gain a Condition, mark experience

Sex Move
After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs,
adding this sentence to the end of it. 

Darkest Self
Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s
way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a
way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them
accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you
must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

My Strings | Strings on Me
Bella: 0|0
Chloe: 0|0
Guy: 0|2
Melanie: 2|0
Richard: 1|0

XP
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
1) My Master always said that Moreau was beautiful; just that right mix of bucolic small-town life, untouched natural wonder surrounding, and upbeat city lights to inspire a man to create, he said. I am not sure if he is correct or not, but I have carried artist's easel, paint and brushes with him for long walks in the woods.

2) Dr. Dabrowsky, an art dealer. A mundane mortal, but he shared my Master's interests in mysticism, and is the only person he spoke the truth to of...my "birth". He is also my current legal guardian, or so it is written in the Moreau public school system.

3) Am I...supposed to feel something about my origins? I understand there are many films and plays where the characters on stage become increasingly erratic when told they are somehow "not human". I hope that is not my fate.

pfffffff, yeah right, dream on, Emmet.

4) If you aren't being serious, Monster Teen Drama Bullshit. If you are, Omnia Vincit Amor.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 8, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, you've been watching a few TV shows, trying to understand human nature. So far results have been inconsistent. Can you describe a couple that you've attempted to emulate and the resulting fallout?

Oh, yes, I have watched many television shows with Dr. Dabrowsky. Although, I must note, the most recent ones I have seen do not augur well for my future.

The first one was a traveling mins--erm, my apologies, I believe the word is "tele-evangelist"? The man was speaking about the book of Genesis in the Old Testament, in particular the line "dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." He went on to explain that it was the physical body that became dust, and that the immortal, God-given, life-giving soul would ascend to God, be judged, and if judged worthy, join other like-minded souls in heaven. I asked my guardian what this entails for me, since my life was given to me by my Master, and I was not certain whether my Master and this God were the same entity. He told me that my Master worshipped God as a divinity, and would not elaborate further. So it appears that, if the tele-evangelist is correct, I will be unable to join my Master, wherever he is now...

The second was a movie about a created being, much like myself, only he was apparently made of more modern materials than the clay and water of life that went into me. (Something along the lines of A.I. Artificial Intelligence.) My guardian seemed distraught during the final scene, so I asked him why he was crying. He explained that the created being in the film had far outlasted the rest of humanity, and was doomed to spend its final days alone, unwanted and unloved by anybody and anything, until it finally...the word he used was not "died", but "broke". This was after it had spent the majority of the movie pursuing that desire. Is this a fate I will share with that poor created man?

And the third...the third was a documentary about...spree killers. The narrator of the documentary seemed to go out of his way to emphasize, again and again, that when interacting with the rest of the world, said killers came across as freakish, lonely creatures, the faces they put on for the world to see artificial. Constructed. Hollow. The good doctor shut off the television after that, saying that most such murderers were actually talkative, active people who mostly look like anyone else. I do hope my guardian is correct on this matter.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, You kissed a girl. Did you like it?
Also, how have you adapted to being a high-schooler? How have you decidedly not been able to adapt yet?

To be honest, the incident would be better described as "a girl kissed me." It was after school had ended for the day, and the girl seemed rather intoxicated, possibly from cannabis. She asked in a slurred tone if I would "mind". I assured her that, even though I was not sure what she was asking about I would not mind either way, and she reached in and...kissed me. On the lips. Several times. I am not entirely sure how I ought to feel; I am told that she is described as "not unattractive", but also told that first kisses are not generally done under the influence of psychoactive chemicals, or that they do not "count" for whatever reason.

As for my high school career generally, I must say it is quite an interesting change from being a valet to my Master. Not that my Master was in any way bad to me, but there is something...stimulating, I suppose is the term, about the place, the student body, the teachers. Unfortunately, one area I have utterly failed to socially adapt to is vocabulary; all attempts on my part to speak like my newfound peers have ended in dismal failure. Since I have heard that "that guy who speaks in the funny formal cant" is considered a less demeaning label than "that idiot who can't even speak his own language properly", I have simply stopped attempting to convert my tongue to that of my fellow students. I shall simply have to grin and bear it, I suppose.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

GimpInBlack posted:

Incidentally, I'm intentionally being vague on baby Adair's age, because I'm not sure how old the characters are meant to be, but I figure Tucker was about 16 when Adair was born.

I'm guessing that all the characters are supposed to at least look like they belong in high school. So they should look around 16-18. Obviously chronological ages can throw that right out the window--I'm thinking Emmet is around 7 years old or so, and he certainly has only been sentient for a few months. I'm not sure, do werewolves usually live a while in fiction?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

ilootthecorpse, is that picture Sebastian from Black Butler?

Also, I think that's 16 submissions :toot:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, you seem pretty composed, talking about these situations now. Where you as unflappable then, or did you find yourself discovering the human emotion of embarrassment? If the latter, how do you feel about discovering the less comfortable aspects of human emotion? If the former, have you overheard any crazy rumors about you and your impossible poise?

Actually, that was one of the first things I learned about! When my Master gave me my mind, he did so by placing a capsule in my mouth and beckoning me back into the kiln where he fired my body. Of course, he had no wish to incinerate my valet's uniform during the procedure, so...well, you can imagine the particular state I was in afterwards. I still remember my first words, actually: "Good morning, Master! Erm, why are you covering your eyes, Master?" He hugged me, carried me out of the kiln, said how happy he was to see me speak...and also took the time to explain why he had covered his eyes.

Is that too creepy? I can change it if it makes Emmet's master come off as a creep or something.

That was only the first of what you refer to as "less comfortable aspects" of emotional completeness, and while I have heard some rather distressing rumors about me--not about "impossible poise", sadly, but about "delayed emotional reactions," only much less polite (think "What the **** is wrong with that guy? He acts like a ******* robot, like he's going 'oh wait I'm supposed to be X now'")--I have to say that I find human emotion genuinely interesting, even the less comfortable ones! I want to learn about everything novel and new with my new mind, and...well, to me, EVERYTHING is novel and new. I certainly would never have experienced anything like "sexuality" as an automaton.

I'll answer the next question later. Again, tell me if I'm going too creepy.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, you made an accidental enemy early on. You're not sure why they're made at you (you can elaborate on that ooc if you like), but they've tried to mess with you ever since. Tell me about the most notable of these incidents, and how you feel about the whole thing.

Enemy, enemy...oh, are you referring to Mr. Wells? He used to be friends with my Master, but they had a falling out...and I believe it was over me.

Mr. Ingo Wells is something of a local cultural icon in Moreau. He's a toymaker; still sells handcrafted, handpainted wooden toys in his shop in the historic downtown. As you can guess from his being friends with Emmet's master, he has an interest in occultism and artificial life creation. His annoyance over Emmet is equal parts jealousy and anger--how DARE Emmet's master create a golem first, how DARE he find a way to make his artificial life fully sentient without telling him, and how DARE he waste all that knowledge making a goddamn HYPER POLITE VALET! Ingo would make a brutish powerful bodyguard, at the very least! And he may or may not be willing to destroy Emmet to recreate the secrets required.

Ever since my Master died, I think he was particularly annoyed that my Master gave me to Dr. Dabrowsky instead of him. Would you believe he actually tried to kidnap me? Walked into school with a concealed knife and tried to snatch me right out of the restroom when I was washing up after lunch. I am still not entirely certain why he broke off his attempt--he had me halfway to his own vehicle before something made him forget me, move off, and pretend nothing was wrong.

As for my opinion of him? Kidnappers are not supposed to be trusted, I know that much, and yet I still vaguely remember my Master talking to him like an old friend, while I was still an automaton. Certainly my Master did not misread him? My notion of Mr. Wells is...conflicted.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Emmet's about to get put through a wringer, isn't he? :cheeky: Alright, here's the backstory. Feel free to answer the questions if you want; I just understand that they're supposed to be little vignettes/plot hook thingies.

Tucker, on the first day of the new school year, you came up to me and talked to me like we knew each other all our lives. We have talked much since then, and I believe I know you, at least somewhat. Emmet gains two strings on Tucker. I must inquire, though, what exactly motivated you to come up to me on that first bus ride? I do not believe we had met before then...

Iris...you know. And I know you know. Iris gains two strings on Emmet. So you will permit me to ask, then, how is it you came across knowledge of where...or rather, what...I am from? Because I am quite certain that neither I, nor my Master, nor my guardian told you the truth about me.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The only person who Emmet might be in the running for highest strings with at the moment is Tucker. So I'm going to say GimpinBlack, highlight Volatile.

And I think Iris has the highest string count on Emmet right now, so what should I highlight?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

(I have no business running this system :v:)

At least you'd be better at it than me :v: I'm not directly familiar with this genre; this is my first time touching base with the whole "supernatural teen romance" stuff, at least directly. Good job the skin I've got is also new to this, then :v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

He is just trying to be friendly! Social cues can be so confusing :smith:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Just repeating everybody else's well wishes, good luck in your new home, GimpinBlack.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

My strings haven't changed with anybody, so Exuma/Iris highlights for Emmet again. And since GimpinBlack isn't back, I don't get to highlight for anyone :(

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Hey, Exuma, you alright with Emmet going to the library to eat lunch? It seems like the sort of thing he'd do (hell, I did it more times than I'd care to admit) and it gives our characters a chance to play off one another.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oooh, Monsterhearts again! Yes please!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Everybody Emmet befriends goes away :smith:. He's cursed, I tell you!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, Chloe, Melanie: How did you react to forgetting the entire last year? What is one change that you would not have expected? How are you dealing with this situation?

Iris...

Oh, my apologies, I was...thinking of someone close to me.

How strange. There are some things from last year I have not forgotten, but most of it is dry mathematics or grammar, school subjects written in notebooks or marked in texts. I can speak about quadratic equations or the Ionian musical mode, but I cannot tell you what happened over the summer, or who taught me those things.

I cannot even tell you why Dr. Dabrowsky has begun dating. He says he has found a very nice Chinese single mother who appreciates art as much as he does, and he wants to bring me up properly, in a complete house with two parents. And, he says, she has a daughter of "the age I look", so I will not lack for friends.

It...I know...there are other people at school who suffer from the same affliction, but they have lived much longer than I have, and I have sobbed myself to sleep because it is just so incredibly frustrating to have most of your life gone through your fingers but I cannot tell anyone because if I do they will realize...!

But I remember her. She appears in my dreams, in a wind of butterflies and curving tree branches. And I try to reach out and touch her hand, like she did mine once, but I never can. I have tried to defeat my frustration through art, but everything I have made so far is just a pale imitation of my Master's sketches. Nothing good enough for her.

So I have begun to look up the legends of faeries. Especially the local ones. I believe her kingdom has taken her back, and she is gone from this world. But I still want to see her, on her own home soil. I have no wish to take her back, no, that would just be cruelty.

I just want to say goodbye properly.

Emmet's foster father dating Melanie's mother was something TurninTrix suggested, and it sounds fun! And it'll give our characters an excuse to interact further down the line.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Do you plan to start a new thread with the new title, or is "Teenage Monster Drama Bullshit" going to be reopened?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

For extra comedy, Emmet should learn to be human from Guy :v:

Honestly, though, I'm thinking "picking up cues from Melanie/Bella; Guy/Richard knows he's a golem." Any takers?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

Emmet doesn't register on our bio-scans. Have the humans developed fully fledged artificial life? I must closer assess this previously unknown technological advancement. Or maybe its not human in origin. Perhaps it is a sign that there are other species out there with the same designs for this planet. Designate threat level HIGH!

Dahahaha! :roflolmao: With a reasoning like that, I can't not take it! Okay! Guy has seen through Emmet (possibly literally) and realized he's not human. Guy gets two strings on Emmet.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

Since the parent figures are dating, it'd probably make more sense for Emmet to take after a sweet, well-adjusted girl like Melanie. :D

That works for me!

Melanie...oh! You...my m--FATHER, my father, yes, is dating your mother! She is the one who likes the arts, correct? I suppose that may make us step-siblings in the future. That must be why I have been trying to emulate you right now. Have I been doing a good job? Emmet takes two strings on Melanie.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Richard is Not Subtle

Richard...Richard...Oh! Richard Beck, you mean? I know this person. It was in physical education class, not too long ago, in the locker room. There was some sort of...altercation. Richard and another athlete were having an argument over...I believe it was a recent game? One felt slighted by the other. It started as words, then the other student must have said something untowards, because Richard slammed a locker door into his face. And then he turned to me and said something like "The hell you lookin' at?!"...I cannot show his accent too well; my apologies.

Very strange, though, this was in the locker room, so he was shirtless and...I found myself whispering "I was looking at your muscles." I am not sure why. He does have very nice muscles, though. Very...pronounced.

"He's a Gay loving Robot" was never properly resolved last time. The Hollow being what it is, I'm going to say Emmet has internalized it :cheeky:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Okay, by my understanding, I have:

Bella: 0|0
Chloe: 0|0
Guy: 0|2
Melanie: 2|0
Richard: 1|0

...Emmet doesn't know anybody at all this time round, does he? I wonder how Guy is going to leverage those strings.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I think you're right. Okay, it looks like I'm highlighting for...nobody, since Melanie has Chloe. And Guy highlights for me.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Both the person who has the most strings on you and the MC "highlight" one of your stats. If you roll them in play, you get an XP.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Guy is...I am probably a poor judge of this, but he seems so withdrawn and cold. Like he does not want to be here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

And that's three for hot. Tolly, your turn to highlight now!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

Davin Valkri, this is best I could do. The font you chose is pay-only, so you only get a crude preview to work with.

Oh, thanks! Although now that you say it, maybe I should try to find a free font that's close to that one?

I know nothing about typography :confused:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

I'm not sure what is going on and don't have any ideas for a direction :(

Your superiors want that report on Emmet ASAP, but he isn't home. You catch Dr. Dabrowsky leaving what the school registry says is Emmet's place and follow him to Bella's house, where it seems somebody else has taken an interest in your artificial lifeform. You're not going to stand for this pitiful old man muscling in on your prize, are you?! :black101:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Not being someone who is in any way associated with Emmet? I guess that includes Exuma's Fae and C. Cable's Alien, too...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Hello OOC thread! How do our strings look at the moment? We need to rehighlight, and the only person I'm maaaaybe in the running for on that is Melanie, with 2 strings. Although Chloe probably has more strings on her.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Wow, does that mean I'm highlighting for Bella? Okay then! There's something very Dark about her.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

That's it for us!

Bella: Dark and ?
Melanie: Hot and ?
Chloe: Dark and ?
Emmet: Volatile and ?

(Now I know that I'm getting at least 1 xp from fighting Richard. Yaaay~)

MC, what's our other highlights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Eh, same here. Sorry.

• Locked thread