Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exuma
Feb 8, 2013

quote:

The Fae
Iris Ochre
Mysterious look, lyrical eyes
Adopted

Hot +2
Cold -1

Volatile -1
Dark +1

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
-they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
-add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
-they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.

Beyond The Veil
When you attempt to commune with the Faery King, gaze into the abyss.
-On a 10 up, add this option to the list: find a hidden String against someone.
-On a 7-9, add this option to the list: the visions are clear, but the Faery King demands a favor of you.

Lure
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience.
Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood. To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Strings
Chloe +2/-2 She thinks I'm hot/I want to save her
Emmet +3/-1 I know what he is/Open book
Melanie 0/-1 Open book
Patrick +2/-3 He's not subtle/He watches me
Tucker +1/-1 He's not subtle/Open book

Promises
Claire Beaumont Got my back in the future
Ms Harper "I'll make sure you're safe"
Tucker Will protect me and Claire from his family
Emmet Will not tell that I'm Fae, will protect me if asked

My Promises
The King one more...
Janet "I will come every second day."

"I used to be really angry, you know? Mostly at the King for making me hang out with the meaties. I thought it was exile, and I hadn't even done nothing. No nothing, I promise. And when I saw the King he'd just say that it was 'for my education', and laugh."

"I guess I lashed out a lot, especially at my meatie parents, but I never let on who I am. Not even to them. Old golden hat made me give my word on that, so, yeah, I guess you don't get to be King for nothing. When I was shouting the whole time, I think they figured that I was dealing with being adopted or something. Kind of a shame for them."

"I mean, I still don't get meaties, don't get me wrong. They break their oaths the whole time. It's sooo nasty how they pretend like words aren't more than words. But, anyway, I was in one of those classes, "Introduction to Law" they called it. Anyway, this real old meatie guy started talking about contracts, and it turns out that some of them get how words are more than words after all. They call them 'lawyers', and they do, like, all the words for the rest of the meaties. Yeah, it's a real weird set up, but that was LIGHT ON time for me. See, I figure that if I can be a lawyer there, dealing with all the meatie oathbreakers, then when I get back here I'll be so badass that the King will make me a full on promisemaker."

"poo poo, I gotta go back, the library closes soon."

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you?
The library. I go to there to remind me that, even here, people know that words are important. Even if you wouldn't believe it from their actions.

2) Who is one person in your life who's important?
Kate, my human mum. Up until a couple of years ago things were rocky, but when I talked to her about studying law she said "I promise that if you work hard, then you'll do really well". She knows I'm "funny" about promises so she must have meant it. We've been closer since then.

3) How do you feel about your supernatural nature?
Completely at home with it. It's my human side that I don't even recognise yet.

4) What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game?
Promise me you'll call it Monster Teen Drama Bullshit.

exuma fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Iris, you've got a contact besides the King back in Faerie. They're not very powerful, but that's good, because that's the only reason you're able to bully them into having anything to do with you while you're in meat-land. Who are they, and what kind of trouble did they cause for you the last time you saw them?

You mean Janet, right? Yeah, she's just an alven. You know, like a water spirit for a place that is in Faerie and in Earth too. Looks after that little waterfall the locals call Janet's Foss.

Its nice down there, nice to have my meatie body somewhere that feels like home. Janets ok too, not all goth like alven usually are. You know, all that Ophelia, white flowers, and doomed love stuff. She's not like that, she's kinda cool.

What? No! I totally don't see her that way. I mean, I'm not racist, but me and a place-faerie? That wouldn't work, like, culturally. Have you been listening to mountain-bike Brian? He's lying, he just saw us talking, and made up the rest. Yeah, it makes for funny stories, Iris like girls. Whatever. Just because I used to hang with that crew, but am mostly in the library now.

No, I'm not avoiding her over it: I've just been busy is all. Like I said, in the library.

Gazetteer posted:

...because if there's one thing America doesn't need, it's another lawyer.

This is awesome.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

drat, this thread is moving fast. I go to sleep, and there's two rounds of questions.

Tollymain posted:

Iris, somebody currently owes you. They don't know just how binding their promise was, though. Do you think they're going to follow on their word or renege? What do you do to people who break their word to you?

Oh man, meaties just throw their words around like crazy. Like, last week, some loser set a fire in the school library. Yeah, they got it under control real fast, but anyway Ms Harper, the librarian, yeah the one with the glasses; she's herding us out and she says to me, "I'll make sure you're safe". I KNOW, heavy poo poo. I mean, she likes me, cause I'm always there, but that's, like, a serious fealty oath. Even here, they wouldn't just say that, would they? Especially she must know about words, what with her job and all. So I guess if I'm in trouble, then she'd guard me. That's pretty cool.

Oathbreakers? Well I try to give them time now. Things are different here, and I do see that. Of course, words are more than words; so if they don't get a clue, then I balance it out. Duh. I am Fae, you know. Maybe they gently caress up when driving. Maybe they get a real bad headache next time they see me. This one girl, Stephanie, said she'd work on that biology project with me, and then blew me off for Claire. Like words don't matter. Yeah. In the exam, she forgot to put her ID on the top of the paper. Just one word, isn't it? Important though.

Tollymain posted:

Iris, has the Fairy King ever let slip anything about why he sent you among the humans? It wouldn't have hardly been anything; and chances are if he did hint at something he was doing it entirely on purpose. How do you feel about that?

There was that one time, when I told him about all the law and stuff. He looked real sharp at me then, and said, "Away from Fae, time moves fast. It's good that we are watchful.". That was really big for me, cause the King? He doesn't just give out praise, and its not like I'm a proper courtier or nothing. So, I thought about it a lot, and I don't really know all the history, but I have this idea. Like, humans always had laws and stuff, but its only recently that they got all this writing, and books, and internet, and everything; so they can keep track of the words. No, they don't remember them like we do. So, maybe it's changing them, making them more Fae, and of course the King would be interested in that.

Why he chose me? I don't know, you ask him. If you dare!

exuma fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 19, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Iris, you've got a token given to you by the Faerie King, long ago when you were seemingly exiled to the human world. Without it you cannot even so much as stand on the borders of Faerie. Why did he limit you in such a fashion? What does the token look like? You lost it once, the worst time in your life. It was only gone for a few days, but that was still devastating. Could you tell me that story?

A ring from the King! I was so excited when he gave it to me, and so scared when he told me what it did. I mean, why do I need a bit of metal, OK, OK, twisted fairie light that looks like metal, just to get home? That's exile, pretty much; and exile is the worst thing. Everyone knows that. No wonder I got so mad. I didn't even do anything!

So, I thought it was punishment at first, but that's not right. If the King wanted to punish me, then he'd just do it. So I thought maybe it was so to hide my connection to Faerie, so humans wouldn't spot anything. But that's wrong too, 'cause most people don't have a clue, and them that do are gonna spot me anyway. Then Janet said something this one time. She said, 'Maybe it's so that you have the choice'. She clammed right up afterwards, but she might be on to something. Like, I could just throw it away, and be a meatie forever. I don't get why anyone would do that though. I mean, urgh.

When I lost it? Oh man. I wore it a lot, but not all the time, and I got in from school this one day, and it was gone. Well, you know how Fairie light is invisible to humans sometimes? I thought I'd been hanging around them so much, that it had turned invisible to me. I kept on looking at the jewellery box and squinting, but nothing. Thought I was stuck for real. I told my human dad, Karl, it was lost, but he was just like 'It can't have gone far'. Yeah, he's alright but he doesn't really get things, you know, like emotions? Not properly. Anyway, my mum, Kate, was out of town for three days, visiting her own mum. Turns out that was the key to the whole thing. She took it to stop her from missing me! Well, we had a crazy big argument when she got back. She said sorry, but I couldn't really tell her why it was so important. Things were a bit rough for a while after that, but we sorted it out in the end. I don't leave the ring behind now though. No way.

exuma fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 19, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

So many potential conflicts already!

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

Gazetteer posted:

Iris
The Poisoner and your Fairy King go way back -- and not in a good way. You know that if you could manage to cheat the demon out of the soul he's invested so much time into, you could earn some major brownie points.

Not that I'm calling you a brownie! That might have been a bit racially insensitive, I guess. (Tell me if this isn't cool with you and I can change it)

AND (from me) You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Chloe and I have known one another vaguely for years. We're not, like, friends, but back when I was angry our circles overlapped a bit. Now that I'm getting my head down we see each other even less, but last time I saw her I saw who had made a home in her head. An old enemy of the King, just walking round town like that! I saw something else too, the way she looked at me. Like she likes me. It's kinda weird 'cause she's into that Devon guy, and there's no way that The Poisoner is saying nice things about me. But it's kinda cool too, like it shows he hasn't got her locked down, which makes me want to save her more.

Gazetteer I had just written Chloe's head been turned and was going to ask if it was ok with you when I saw your post. The question stands but it looks like we're thinking on similar lines here. I'm totally happy with wanting to save you, obviously.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not subtle. Everyone gets a string on me.

I've also spent weeks watching Iris from a distance. I know her scent and mannerisms anywhere. She's weird, she's...she's not like everyone else. There's something about her. Something feral, otherworldly. She's not one of us. But she's...I can't get her out of my head. Did she notice? Does she care? (I get two strings on her.)

I've noticed him watching me. That's not as surprising as Chloe. A teenage boy making moon eyes at me? Really? I'm so shocked. Patrick seems decent though, and everyone knows how loyal he is. So, hopefully he won't be a loser who think I owe him something without even promises. Those guys are such a bore. If he's not like that we could be friends for sure.

Davin Valkri posted:

Iris...you know. And I know you know. Iris gains two strings on Emmet. So you will permit me to ask, then, how is it you came across knowledge of where...or rather, what...I am from? Because I am quite certain that neither I, nor my Master, nor my guardian told you the truth about me.

I spotted you right away. You were like me, when I first got here. Not a clue about how to behave. For me it's because I'm so far from home, but you, you're new aren't you? I didn't know that, or what you are, then, but I asked, well, someone. He said, "A golem. In this age? How unusual", and the library told me the rest, pretty much.

zachol posted:

Don't know about Eagleton but there's one over in Griffin.

So glad someone is doing this, there were so many awesome submissions.

exuma fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 20, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Poor, poor Mr Hansel...

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Looking at that NPC list really shows how cool all your questions were.

Poor Marigold hasn't got a seat though. ;)

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Makes sense, definitely easier than redoing the image.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Yup Patrick has 3 on me, so I'll mark cold.

I have 2 on Emmet and Chloe, which I think makes me their highest, if so:
Emmet mark volatile
Chloe mark hot

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Here's a rough and ready map. I think I've got everywhere we've mentioned on there, but if there's any omissions or errors feel free to amend it, or tell me to.

Its based on Gardiner, Maine, because that's the first place that looked OK as a model on Google map.

exuma fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 24, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

drat, Gazetteer that was awesome. I can't help feeling sorry for poor, clueless Emmet though.

TSC, I'm still around, just waiting on GimpInBlack to post.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Hope the move, and everything, goes well GimpInBlack. Tucker's too cool not to turn up again.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Claire Beaumont's part of the story went dark fast, and seems to be quickly headed towards homophobia and (non sexual) child abuse. If anyone finds it too uncomfortable, please say.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Sure, the book said to set awful precedents, so I'm...
  • Videoing the abuse with my phone.
  • Asking the King how to kill Mrs Beaumont. Beyond the veil - 9, he asks for a favour
  • Sending the video to Mrs Beamount with an message to meet me at the lake. Manipulate an NPC - 11, using the implicit threat of making the video public
  • Before she approaches a tight bend in Lake Road phoning her, and goading her, so that she doesn't pay attention to her driving. I haven't rolled for this - none of the standard moves seemed to quite fit.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It turns out that making the Darkest Self posts in blank verse is surprisingly hard. :blush:

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Patrick still has the most strings on Iris.

Emmet highlight Dark - from your last post it seems you're about due to gaze into the abyss.
Chloe highlight Dark too - maybe I'm just in a dark mood this morning.

Last few days have been busy but I will post in a few hours.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Ah crap, I forgot about IRC :D

Bit busy right now, but I'll get my head round it later.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

No worries :)

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Hey Tollymain, what stat should I highlight? :)

exuma fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 19, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Sure! I was drawing a blank, though, so I held off posting for a bit. Iris is off on her own so it didn't seem so urgent.

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

Sure, go for it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

I go on holiday on Saturday, and my computer's power socket just died, so posting may be erratic to non-existent for the next two weeks. Sorry.

• Locked thread