Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ChampRamp posted:

What rhymes with Alison Lundergan Grimes?

Paul campaign crimes

:golfclap:
That ad is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nth Doctor posted:

:golfclap:
That ad is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Course if he's actually been managing Mitch's awful campaign and was only given the job in the first place to shut Rand up then maybe this will end up being a gift to Mitch as much as Grimes.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Oh god, could it really be happening?

Latest Marquette poll shows Burke up 2 on Walker.

Look at that trend: down three in May, steadily climbing towards 50%, now plus 2 in late August.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Look at that trend: down three in May, steadily climbing towards 50%, now plus 2 in late August.
God I hope so. We really need half of these awful 2010 governors to go down, at the very least.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Chris McDaniel's lawsuit has been dismissed and his campaign says they will spend the weekend deciding whether to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

Naturally, he has still not conceded the race.

I hope that they go for it, he's sucking up plenty of terribly lovely peoples' money and won't ever get anywhere.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

quote:

Despite A Strange Poll, Scott Walker’s Still The Favorite To Win In Wisconsin

Republican candidates typically poll better among likely voters, particularly in midterm elections when Democratic-leaning constituencies are less likely to turn out. This fact of Americans politics is why a poll released in Wisconsin on Wednesday was so weird.

According to the latest Marquette University Law School poll, Wisconsin’s Republican governor, Scott Walker, is losing his re-election bid against Democrat Mary Burke by 2 percentage points among likely voters but winning by 3 points among registered voters.

Which is right?

Chances are, the results from the registered voter sample are closer to the truth — Walker is probably slightly ahead. The poll’s registered voter results are more in line with the long-term averages of the Marquette poll and Wisconsin polls overall, and there isn’t evidence from past campaigns that Marquette’s likely voter screen produces more accurate results.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there any way for Aaron Rogers to come out in favor of gay marriage and health care before November?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The X-man cometh posted:

Is there any way for Aaron Rogers to come out in favor of gay marriage and health care before November?

He is the union rep for the Packers :getin:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

You may not be feeling the changes in Michigan yet because you're not rich and well-connected but you will soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_y0LojzywU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Welp, this will be haunting my nightmares tonight.

Also: the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in six years: THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, IT'S JUST AS lovely NOW AS IT WAS IN '08! :toot:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
turtleheads.jpg

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How likely is another government shutdown? It would be hilarious if right before yet ANOTHER election, there was an enormous shutdown of government due to budget constraints/debt scolds holding up routine legislation.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Did anyone see the Alaska Democratic/Independent unity ticket coming?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How likely is another government shutdown? It would be hilarious if right before yet ANOTHER election, there was an enormous shutdown of government due to budget constraints/debt scolds holding up routine legislation.

It's impossible to say. Normally I'd say a 0% chance because Republicans aren't that dumb, but nobody's ever lost betting on Republican insanity so far. Obama taking any sort of executive action on Immigration or really anything would triple the odds.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

You may not be feeling the changes in Michigan yet because you're not rich and well-connected but you will soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_y0LojzywU

Considering the state of Michigan's roads, and his inability to get the money to fix them, should Rick really be starting off a campaign ad with the phrase Road to Recovery?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's hard to tell, because not having one requires Boehner to stand up to his collection of wing nuts while also angering the Tea Party voters. However in any way hinting at having one causes what's left of the establishment to freak the gently caress out. So Boehner has about a month to figure out a way to both piss in Obama's face while not shutting down the government but also making it look like Republicans run Barter Town.

Essentially Boehner has to find the exact right level of drunk to be at for the next month or so.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm going to go with <1%, government shut-downs are for odd numbered years.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Gyges posted:

It's hard to tell, because not having one requires Boehner to stand up to his collection of wing nuts while also angering the Tea Party voters. However in any way hinting at having one causes what's left of the establishment to freak the gently caress out. So Boehner has about a month to figure out a way to both piss in Obama's face while not shutting down the government but also making it look like Republicans run Barter Town.

Essentially Boehner has to find the exact right level of drunk to be at for the next month or so.

John Boehner seems like the type of guy who is in exquisite control of his level of alcoholism.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nth Doctor posted:

Did anyone see the Alaska Democratic/Independent unity ticket coming?

I bet you Hollis French sure didn't. Dude gave up his Senate Minority Leader spot to run as Lt. Gov and just got hosed by the Democratic Party. I feel pretty bad for him too, he seemed like a cool guy.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

I bet you Hollis French sure didn't. Dude gave up his Senate Minority Leader spot to run as Lt. Gov and just got hosed by the Democratic Party. I feel pretty bad for him too, he seemed like a cool guy.

Yeah our choices are now an anti-marijuana legalization, anti-choice, anti-LGBT Republican or Sean Parnell.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Chris Parnell pauses as he flips through his mail. A shiver runs down his spine.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mooyashi posted:

Chris Parnell pauses as he flips through his mail. A shiver runs down his spine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI9tfNx1M1E

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gyges posted:

]Essentially Boehner has to find the exact right level of drunk to be at for the next month or so.

So basically a Ballmer Peak but for politics?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

site posted:

If the state party is smart, and making this deal certainly tips the scale that way, they'll make it up to him.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
538 has published their detailed Senate forecast, which I believe will now be updated almost every day(?) until the midterm elections. As of right now the Republicans have a 63.9% chance of winning a majority.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I really, really doubt that. It has Alaska and North Carolina as Republican pickups at this point, but that's ignoring what's actually going on on a state level. Hagan and Begich are going to pull it out. I don't think Colorado will happen for the Republicans, either.
As time goes by, I get more and more lukewarm about Silver and 538.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spatula City posted:

I really, really doubt that. It has Alaska and North Carolina as Republican pickups at this point, but that's ignoring what's actually going on on a state level. Hagan and Begich are going to pull it out. I don't think Colorado will happen for the Republicans, either.

Princeton Electoral Consortium is currently 70% Dems.

I'm with you on 538. The current site feels more like The Daily Beast than the old 538.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Spatula City posted:

The dirty little secret of 538 is that Nate's big complicated secret formula full of bayesian feedback loops didn't do any better a job of predicting results in 2012 than much simpler poll-aggregating models like at Real Clear Politics and Talking Points Memo.

And his website signaled they were about chasing clicks, being contrary, and generating "controversy" when they hired that climate denier guy to write "provocative" articles about climate change (Did you know...payouts for natural disaster damages are actually going down over time if you adjust for hurf and durf?). I think he's tilting the site to the right in order to broaden its appeal and try to distance himself from his reputation as the guy who tries to rig elections for the Democrats. Fair enough, he has bills to pay and backers to placate, but I think the realities of running a revenue-generating website are really abrading his commitment to rock-solid objective data analysis. It's much closer to Buzzfeed than it thinks it is. And that vision statement/manifesto thing he wrote when he launched the site is still hilariously badly thought out.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vox is doing 538 way better than 538 is, I think. Where else can I read an article about Beyoncé's VMA performance one day and class war the next?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Are you guys saying the 538 results..are skewed?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the general problem with 538 is that it never ended up being the vertical it touted itself as.

Having some dudes analyze data and bust out charts has lost its novelty value.

Upshot is also a little annoying in its complete inundation of people with election and chart gunk. I know they have the best data-visualization team in the world, but it's more gimmicky than useful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Beamed posted:

Are you guys saying the 538 results..are skewed?

A lack of model consensus is not the same as "let me insert this sampling bias based on my gut feeling about party ID"

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

A lack of model consensus is not the same as "let me insert this sampling bias based on my gut feeling about party ID"

yeah, but people in this thread are doing exactly the latter, which was his point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dilbertschalter posted:

yeah, but people in this thread are doing exactly the latter, which was his point.

Yeah, those people are dumb.

I think it's not at all crazy to argue that 538 might be wrong - it is, after all, still two months away and they're quite open about things still being quite up in the air. It's also not strongly predicting a Republican win yet.

That said, though, the weight of the evidence is that it is more likely than not that the Republicans win the Senate. That's unfortunate, but it's the reality. But it's also still a 'more likely than not', not a "going to happen short of the Second Coming" like 2008 and 2012 was. So it's still reasonable to be hopeful, you've just got to realize you're hoping and not expecting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He said sixty percent republican but then spent the rest of the article walking back that prediction due to poor or no data.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

He said sixty percent republican but then spent the rest of the article walking back that prediction due to poor or no data.

Yeah, at the very least this is pretty click-baity.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, those people are dumb.

I think it's not at all crazy to argue that 538 might be wrong - it is, after all, still two months away and they're quite open about things still being quite up in the air. It's also not strongly predicting a Republican win yet.

That said, though, the weight of the evidence is that it is more likely than not that the Republicans win the Senate. That's unfortunate, but it's the reality. But it's also still a 'more likely than not', not a "going to happen short of the Second Coming" like 2008 and 2012 was. So it's still reasonable to be hopeful, you've just got to realize you're hoping and not expecting.

538's article really doesn't conflict with most other sites, including http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/senate-model/

Also I'm surprised that NH is still 86% dem on NYTimes.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Chad Taylor (D) has apparently pulled out of the Kansas Senatorial race.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 3, 2014

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Not that it matters at all, but why is he dropping out?

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
According to The Topeka Capital-Journal it seems to be a tactical move to give Orman a better shot

quote:

Taylor's challenges were compounded by modest fundraising and a weak performance in the August primary. He was under pressure from Kansas and national Democratic officials to step aside and give the better-financed Orman a better chance to defeat Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Not that it matters at all, but why is he dropping out?

From what I recall, he and the independent candidate were splitting the anti-Roberts vote, so that he would get reelected despite a majority in the state hating him. I remember a note from last week about them negotiating about one dropping out to prevent it. This seems to be the result of that.

• Locked thread