Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Not sure if you were trying to be facetious, but Mary Landrieu is a Democrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Deteriorata posted:

I think it has more to do with the Supreme Court getting involved and everyone having to wait on implementation until after their ruling last year.

I think it has more to do with Democrats/Obama being corporate shills who will delay implementation as long as possible.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The X-man cometh posted:

Why would a GOP hack shop put up a pro-Grimes poll? Is it some kind of internal GOP grudge?

Maybe that's their pro-McConnell poll.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Obdicut posted:

Awhile ago someone mentioned that there was some new or revamped form of entity, like a 527 or SuperPAC, that'd be even more important in the wake of recent campaign finance judicial decisions. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

To put it another way, what are the various weird and sketchy ways to spend money on campaigns and 'issues' and stuff like that these days? I feel like I used to have a handle on it but it's gotten byzantine.

It's not exactly new, but I've always thought making a personal loan to your own campaign and then charging interest on it was particularly scummy.

If you want to self-finance, sure, go ahead, but you shouldn't be profiting off of it.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here's some fun news from Michigan. Dearborn Heights City Clerk resigned after it was discovered his office denied many Arab Americans absentee ballots.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/city-clerk-of-dearborn-heights-resigns-after-allegations-of-discrimination?autoplay=true

Bbbbut voter fraud only happens when poors try to vote for dead people.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

sullat posted:

The original Violence Against Women Act was based on the Commerce Clause, i believe SCOTUS shot that down. Since he's a state official, that shouldn't matter, but it might be a legal dodge based on state law.

US v. Morrison was such a terrible decision

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I don't see why with electronic voting the state can't set up a system that looks up your voter registration and keys up the particular ballot for your residence and makes it available at any voting location in the state.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Deteriorata posted:

It's entirely possible. Getting a legislature to pass a bill to fund its creation and maintenance would be the sticking point.

Oh right I forgot I lived in the USA where anything vaguely democratic is verboten.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Lemma posted:

Hey so I just got done moving across the country two times in as many years- I'm registered to vote and all but I have no idea about any of the politicians in the state I'm in now. Does anyone know a good site that gives you some good starting point information on mainstream candidates in current elections? (For governor, senate etc.) I'm honestly probably just not going to vote this year because I'm starting from absolute scratch as far as who is who, what their policy is like, etc. It's an enormous amount of research and, naturally, finding an unbiased source is virtually impossible. Any good resources for this sort of thing?

Find a League of Women Voters guide for your area.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The Green party is a loving joke. It's basically just Hippies: the Political Party. If you want to talk about "real" or at least somewhat effective environmentalists you need to look to the Sierra Club, Conservation International, National Audobon Society, et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Rebochan posted:

We're not getting poo poo done for two years, are we?

....wait, okay, serious question, how is that going to be any worse than it is right now? The Republicans pretty much defacto run the government as it is since nobody wants to make them sad and the Democrats aren't really progressive so much as not Republican. There's a sick part of me that just wants to see them all burn.

The senate won't be able to pass a reasonable budget with which to point to while the house starts passing lunatic budgets.

• Locked thread