Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Everyone seems to have a good sense of humor about it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Judd is just too well-defined by stereotypes already.

Quite well defined in fact.

edit: So I guess I'm saying she should go up against Andy Barr.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 26, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What are the downsides of Grimes? Lack of celebrity recognition?

Secretary of State is a good stepping stone but straight to Senate may be harder without better name recognition. That'd be my speculation anyways.

She or Judd seriously needs to get rid of Andy Barr.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

POTUShead posted:

How do you mean?

Judd is an alumnus of the University of Kentucky whose claim to fame is its basketball program. Judd has always been a huge supporter of UK athletics and to this day is seen in the student section at home games. Attacks on her residency are going to fall flat because everyone in the state sees her in Lexington on TV regularly.

Andy Barr is the house representative for Lexington (UK) and the surrounding area. He defeated two term blue dog democrat Ben Chandler (son of a two time governor and senator). Barr's first vote in congress was against Sandy relief.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

The only chance we would have at that point is—Iä!—Undead Adolph Rupp.

Running on the dixiecrat ticket?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Apparently Scott Romney, Mitt's older brother, is considering a run for Senate in Michigan.

What is his position on Michigan tree height?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm nit sure i trust anyone's speculation on that race without current Kentucky polling data or at least current Kentucky residency.

I'm not sure having Lexington residency helps either. McConnell doesn't seem to be bringing any money here, and he's a cardinal too!

Bruce Lunsford was an idiotic choice, I talked to die hard democrats that had actually had worked with him that we're telling me not to vote for him ever for anything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Landstander posted:

No doubt part of the logic was the (reasonable) expectation that the Republicans would overplay their hand if/when they viciously attacked her; it also seemed like the Democrats were/are becoming a bit more aggressive on a handful of issues (mostly social ones), so she could play into that strategy. And The Daily Caller nudity thing was the level of respectability in journalism that I've come to expect from Mr. Carlson.

Still, I can't shake the feeling "Hollywood Actress Liberal Ashley Judd" will have some power with that electorate, and given that Mitch McConnell is a pug who no one in the state (nor his own party) actually likes, it would be a shame to do that campaign when they might have some more traditional, more formidable candidates in a race that doesn't strike me as a lost cause.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

This would work better if George Clooney was running instead of Ashley Judd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What is the university supposed to do when someone brings a big bag of money and just wants you put a silly word in something's name? You can't just decline money!

Incidentally I work near Todd's new office and have never seen him. Must be a nice gig.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Swonga posted:

Mitch McConnell is taking a cue from the Tom Daschle playbook and is putting up ads some twenty months before polls open.

And yet Kentucky's best hope remains a woman who had no problem comparing George Bush's African contraception policy to the holocaust. For more 'soon-to-be-in-newspapers' opposition research on Ashley Judd, take at look at her essay on Social Justice. I can't wait until we find out what her economic views are! Remember, defensive Judd fans, the golden rule of challenging a weak incumbent is to keep the focus on the incumbent, not the challenger. You think a Judd candidacy will do that?

Again this reminds me of 2010. Reid sucked the fund raising spigot dry for lots of Dem candidates, specifically through exercising a sort of Majority Leader's privilege when it came to using the DSCC to fund a lot of his ground game and paid media. Hopefully this is a sign that McConnell will play the same role in diverting NRSC money that would otherwise go to GOP challengers.

Nobody cares, go cats.

(its our only hope :/)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

If Republican voters want someone in the Senate who'll stand up for Republicans they really can't do any better than Mitch McConnell.

But, as you said, if the Rand Paul supporters believe hes a RINO...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The real problem is that the most vulnerable democrats are in states where people do care about their guns and the places that are really for gun control aren't going red.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Elizabeth Colbert Bush, Stephen Colbert's sister, handily won on the Democratic side.

Should be an interesting race.

Indeed. With the names Colbert and Bush on the ballot you get the stoner democratic vote and the confused republican vote.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

richardfun posted:

Also, he has a stuffed endangered animal in his office? :psyduck:

West of the Mississippi they're "least concern" and actually considered a "nuisance animal" in Texas and don't require a permit to kill. Most other western states issue a few tags a year.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

I think that's a literal lion though, not a cougar.

You're right, Joementum's image is gone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/paul-broun-lion_n_2923806.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

quote:

Broun said he has eaten several wild beasts, including warthog, but he didn't particularly fancy lion.

"The lion wasn’t particularly tasty," Broun told NRO. "It was kind of chewy, but I ate it too."

During a 2010 interview with Roll Call, Broun said he killed the lion during a hunting trip in Zimbabwe.

“After eating this animal, the natives called me Boss Shumba, which means Boss Lion,” he said. “They’d never seen a guy come and actually eat a lion."

As Roll Call reported in December, Broun prominently displays his hunting trophies in his congressional office. His taxidermy collection -- which includes a bear, a lion, and six other animal heads -- caused a bit of a scene in the Rayburn House Office Building's hallways when Broun moved offices last year.

“For the most part when people walk through that door -- it’s almost universal -- they look and they say, ‘Wow!’” Broun told Roll Call.

Isn't possession of that a felony? I just assumed that congressmen would follow the law so it must have been a mountain lion (which everyone in rural areas calls lions anyways).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

If I'm remembering properly... it wasn't on the staff level.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/michele_bachmann_campaign_finance_short.php
That's not it. There was something about the last week's payments of the campaign.
http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=186574921

Uh, but no private contract can bar you from discussing what you believe to be illegal activity with the proper authorities? :confused:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snoggle posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see something along the lines of:

Barack Obama's NCAA bracket had Kentucky losing the championship game last year, and Louisville losing it this year. The Democratic leadership in Washington wants Kentucky to fail. Support Team Mitch. This message paid for by the Committee to Re-elect Turtles.

This is why Ashley Judd and her impeccable basketball credentials were put forth as a possible candidate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Baiano churns out another ad for Mitch, noting that the people of Kentucky are basically horses. Mitch's campaign for the KY Tourism Board seems to be going well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDQHa2H1Ho

Strange all I hear is "gently caress Lexington".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

The joke, which is so inside baseball that I don't think hardly anyone gets it, is that Alison Lundergan Grimes is a relentless self-promoter who puts her full name on everything under the sun, and also that she still uses her maiden name to leverage her father's connections.

Also known as being a politician.

Now, over to Senator Rand Paul.

edit: I should have made a Ben Chandler joke instead :/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cbservo posted:

That video is hypnotic...and pretty drat catchy...can't....stop....watching....

The fact that one of the attacks is "Votes party lines" (Really, Mitch? Best you can come up with?) makes me appreciate it more.

I am of course deeply concerned that my Secretary of State has been voting party line.

Wait a minute...

serewit posted:

You probably couldn't make one better than the man already is.

Well, thats all I did with Rand Paul too!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

Did Booker piss in the cereal of someone influential at the NYT? I'm asking because this weird article that seems like nothing but a subtle smear:

Wasn't there another article a while ago attacking Booker around the time where he was trying to push out Lautenberg?

Didn't the last article criticize booker for hanging out with wall street big wigs in NYC and leave out that the event he was at was raising money for orphaned kittens or something?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

Tell it to Ruth Bader Ginsberg, who remains an incredible judge.

The problem with mandatory retirement ages is that they ignore the fact that some people should retire never and some people should retire before they're ever in their office.

It also seems somewhat silly to have mandatory retirement for elected officials - you elected them after all! (I also think term limits are a little silly for this reason, but fully understand their importance)

It'd have to be some sort of somewhat formal thing done by the parties themselves.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mimetic posted:

So I take it these new Voter ID laws require a state-issued photo ID? In Kentucky you have to provide identification, but a credit card (among other things) counts as ID.

Kentucky is surprisingly "liberal" or at least not batshit insane on a number of bureaucratic things like this.

The KY voter id requirement is one of "Personal acquaintance of precinct officer, Driver’s license, Social Security card, credit card, or another form of ID containing both picture and signature."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

serewit posted:

Kentucky also has had a pretty solidly Democratic governor and legislature for quite some time now (Fletcher excluded, and look what happened to him). They're DINOs, but they're not total assbags.

Theres some real democrats in the legislature. Like, uh, Stein. And uh...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unfortunately I don't think that ad aired on TV.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

It's one quarter that, three quarters a Chappaquiddick joke.

I chuckled but I'm pretty sure that I'm laughing at the republicans combining a 15 year old joke with a 44 year old joke.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did you know today was constitution day? I sure didn't. Thanks for informing me and everyone on the University of Kentucky's campus Mitch and thanks for the free apple pie!

Grimes, you've got a little over a year to catch up on the free pie race for students. FYI pizza is worth more than terrible food service apple pie!

ps: I saw the sign up sheet for team mitch. It was empty. :laugh:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 17, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

Did you not even try to sign up as Weedlord Bonerhitler? Shameful.

I thought blank was funnier. :shobon:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Another video. Alison Lundergan Grimes gets picked up at the airport by her husband and the Kentucky College Republicans are ON IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjn58-PIVGk

We're supposed to be bothered that shes not riding shotgun or..?

edit: Also, thats the LEXINGTON airport. For those not in the know Lexington is an ultra liberal city with a gay mayor.*

*one part of this sentence is not true :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I have met the University of Kentucky College Republicans.

They are exactly that stupid, yes.

Usually theres some kind of logic to it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I agree, you'd have to be pretty far gone to think that's worth obsessing over.

My bet is on wanting to put a car between her and the creepy dude with a video camera.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

He's actually only doing it because Rand wants institutional support in 2016.

The question is would it be better if Rand Paul is the jr or sr senator from KY?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This story is seriously "single man flirts with woman"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cheekio posted:

Eventually someone's going to figure out a really eloquent way to pull out a smartphone and shut down lies in debates on the spot. It'll be a glorious day.

Proceed, governor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Didn't he literally save his next door neighbor in Newark from a fire when he was coming home from work?

Yes.

If he runs for president he'll probably show up at a debate with a litter of kittens missing their mother he found and will be bottle feeding them during the debate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Mash posted:

Hahaha. What the hell is he thinking. What the hell is SHE thinking.

You could be nice and say that that was an automatic reaction to someone touching him in the middle of a speech.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tadashi posted:

Because that's what a real non-gay man would do?

You'd have to be blind not to!

:downsrim:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There's a very real risk of him losing the primary.

As for tea partier vs Grimes? Well, we did elect Rand Paul...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Grimes had two pretty strong polls in a row, I don't know how hard I would fight for lean but I don't think it is a strong likely at all.

The KDP is really good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to congressional races. See Mongiardo, Conway and Chandler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Conway wasn't really trying though.

• Locked thread