Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Majestic posted:

Is there something about Steven Chu I'm missing that makes this description appropriate?

I was about to ask the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Paul Broun doesn't want to be a lion of the Senate, but he might like to eat one.

This from an article titled "Can Paul Broun Win?" to which the obvious answer is "No".

eta: Bonus picture of the lion.

French cook, fancy sauces? Sounds like an effete elitist to me... :bahgawd:

Also, he has a stuffed endangered animal in his office? :psyduck:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

I don't think you "get" Paul Broun.

Clearly, I don't..

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Looks like Stephen Colbert's sister is might actually have a shot in South Carolina.

quote:

This is a Republican leaning district and Barack Obama's approval rating in it is only 41% with 57% of voters disapproving of him. But Democrats are far more unified than the Republicans are. Busch is winning 87-89% of the Democratic vote while Sanford (76%) and Bostic (72%) are both earning less than 80% of the GOP vote. Busch is also up by 16-18 points with independent voters.

(...)

Focusing in on the potential race between Busch and Sanford it's surprisingly close for one simple reason- voters like Busch and they continue to strongly dislike Sanford. 45% of voters see Busch favorably to only 31% with a negative opinion. On the other hand Sanford is still stuck with a 34% favorability rating and 58% of voters seeing him in a negative light.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

Is that supposed to be an actual poll or a campaign PR thing? The questions seem pretty one sided. Consider:

(emphasis added)

Either way, I wouldn't put too much faith in the result of the poll.

Phone posting so no link, but the poll was commissioned by a PAC.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

Presented without comment (for now)

Michele Bachmann is not planning to run again for the house in 2014.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/29/18578678-michele-bachmann-im-quitting-my-house-seat-in-2014?lite

A sad day for wingnuts everywhere :smith:

And for liberals, obviously.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Lycus posted:

Anyone think she might go for Franken's seat? I just want the entertainment value we'd get from that.

I second that. Phone posting, so no link, but anyone who's curious what a Franken-Bachmann debate would look like should look up the debate between Franken and Ann Coulter on YouTube.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Holy gently caress. :stare:

I have no words for what I just watched...

The people in the tram with me must be wondering why I suddenly burst out laughing.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Mitch McConnell's new campaign image is a Sharknado with the Obamacare regulation tower at its center.

It's unclear if the shark is on the side of Obamacare or if it is eating the regulations or if the Sharknado has been created by Obamacare. Hopefully Mitch will address these questions later in the campaign.

I will never, ever get tired of Republicans making fools of themselves trying to use memes and social media :allears:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

"AS OF THIS DATE" Sarah Palin is not going to run for Senate in Alaska. But at a future date? Maybe! Who knows?! You'd better send her $5 or even $50 while she sorts all this out.

C'mon Joe, how can you mention this and not quote from the Daily Caller Piece?

Sarah 'grifter' Palin posted:

“Well, our present senator, Mark Begich — Marky Mark and the funky bunch is kind of how we refer to him up here, because he’s being led by this bunch of Harry Reid and President Obama, Mark Begich having been so supportive of their agenda, ushering in Obamacare and incurring more and more debt. He certainly needs to be replaced, and we need someone there who understands that, you know, our country’s going bankrupt and we need to rein in government. Ssome simple ‘we the people’ type principles that need to be enacted, and that’s not going to come from Mark Begich.”

That is some grade-A word salad, even for Palin.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ThirdPartyView posted:

Does he know what the third stop is?

Oh, well done :golfclap:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

"Polls go up and polls go down".

I wonder how long it'll be before Lhota hires Dean Chambers.

You can't explain that.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

Why does he look like slightly less disfigured Mason Verger in his own campaign poster?

I think the more hilarious detail is that he isn't front and centre in that poster...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Maybe he's hiking the Appalachian trial? :raise:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

Here's Kathleen Tonn, Republican candidate for US Senate in Alaska (she's registered in the primary, I checked) singing in tongues in a sauna to save her neighbor's soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEn7mZZ45cU

I call shenanigans. She's reading from notes!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Just be sure you're not into cranking.

But if you are, don't volunteer that information.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Suddenly, Mark Ruffalo appears.

You wouldn't like him when he's angry...

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Apparently, making GBS threads on the poor and destitute through policy isn't enough for Republicans. No sir, they have to be mocked and degraded.

quote:

A planned fundraiser for San Luis Obispo County supervisor candidate Lynn Compton involving “hobo stew” has become the center of the latest controversy in the nasty campaign for the fourth district seat.

The Compton campaign is planning an Oct. 5 fundraiser at the Oceano train depot in which attendees are invited to come dressed in hobo attire and eat soup dubbed hobo stew. The fundraiser has prompted allegations from incumbent Caren Ray’s campaign that Compton is showing contempt for homeless individuals.

“Are you appalled, offended and outraged by this disgusting lack of compassion for a segment of our county’s population which Lynn Compton is supposedly campaigning to represent,” Ray’s treasurer Kathie Matsuyama wrote in an email to supporters.

Or are people intentionally misrepresenting the meaning and message of this event? You bet, says Lynn Compton.

quote:

But, Compton’s campaign says that Ray’s supporters have drummed up a controversy by twisting the definition of hobo.

A hobo is not a homeless person, the Compton campaign says. Rather it is a traditional American lifestyle that values travel over stationary living and involves work, just usually in short stints. They also noted that this same type of hobo event has been done for years by the Oceano Elks.

“This is no way of disparaging homeless people,” Compton supporter Linda Austin said in an email. “Hobos are part of American lore.”

Those people living in rags, who jump on trains for a free ride (no pun intended) with their few belongings in knapsacks are not homeless. Nope, they're the original hipsters.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

For those of you arguing in favour of term limits for members of Congress, here's something to chew on.

George Will agrees with you.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

mcmagic posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/10/16/joni-ernsts-hog-castrating-ideology-revealed/

Looks like Ernst is going full 47% though I doubt it matters since I think her being batshit insane is a positive to her voters.

Phone posting, so no quote, but I can't be the only one who did a spit take at 'intestinal fortitude', can I? :raise:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Who exactly are the people who vote for Cutler even though they know that it's helping an actual crazy person win the office?

"Principled centrists".

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Apparently, spoil sport Cutler in Maine is going to make an announcement, per the WSJ.

quote:

Independent gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler hastily scheduled a news conference at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in Portland to make an announcement regarding the election.

On Tuesday, poll results released by Pan Atlantic SMS indicated that Cutler’s supporters were beginning to leave him for the Democratic candidate, U.S. Rep. Mike Michaud.

An email from Cutler’s spokeswoman Crystal Canney sent a brief, vague advisory to reporters: “Eliot Cutler will have an announcement at 10:30 today at campaign headquarters regarding the election,” she wrote.

The candidate has so far not been able to re-create the surge of support that propelled him to within breathing distance of victory in the late stage of 2010’s election. This time around, poll after poll has showed Cutler lagging far behind Michaud and Republican Gov. Paul LePage.

Michaud’s supporters have increased their calls for Cutler to drop out of the race. Meanwhile, Republicans have begun airing ads supportive of Cutler, which Democrats have described as a cynical ploy to divide LePage’s opposition.

Earlier in the campaign, Cutler pledged that if it became clear that he could not win, he would release his supporters to vote for someone else.

Is he going to drop out? Is he going to endorse LePage out of pure spite? Stay tuned!

richardfun fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 29, 2014

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

So apparently, Cutler isn't dropping out, but he has just acknowledged it's basically a 2-man race, and he is 'releasing his voters', or something...

Independent Eliot Cutler refuses to abandon Maine gubernatorial bid

quote:

Independent candidate Eliot Culter on Wednesday announced in a hastily organized press conference that he would not bow out of Maine's gubernatorial race, spurning those who implored him to drop out rather than risk splitting the anti-incumbent vote with Democratic candidate Rep. Mike Michaud.

"I am not standing down," Cutler said. However, he added that if people think he has no shot at winning, they should "vote your conscience."

Polls have shown Michaud running even with Gov. Paul LePage (R), with Cutler a distant third. But Michaud and Cutler are splitting the anti-LePage vote — a large pool given that more than half of the state views LePage unfavorably. Seeking to capitalize on this dynamic, Republicans have quietly praised Cutler in ads, hoping he would rise at Michaud's expense.

LePage eked out a victory in a three-way race in 2010 with less than 38 percent of the vote. A PPP poll released last week found Michaud and LePage deadlocked in a three-way race at 40 percent apiece, though Michaud posted a five-point lead with Cutler out of the picture.

I never cease to be amazed by politicians' ego's.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Joementum posted:

He can't actually take his name off the ballot at this point, but I guess this means he'll stop campaigning.

edit: Or not. Anyway, here's a Barbara Bush ad for LePage:

Even if he can't take his name off the ballot, he could tell people explicitly not to vote for him. If he were so inclined. Which he's not, apparently.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Now we of course all know about the scourge that is voter fraud, but apparently, the Republicans have been fighting it even more thoroughly than I previously thought or knew about. Not sure if this has been posted before, but if not, this Al Jazeera piece is well worth the read.

Jim Crow Returns

quote:

Election officials in 27 states, most of them Republicans, have launched a program that threatens a massive purge of voters from the rolls. Millions, especially black, Hispanic and Asian-American voters, are at risk. Already, tens of thousands have been removed in at least one battleground state, and the numbers are expected to climb, according to a six-month-long, nationwide investigation by Al Jazeera America.

At the heart of this voter-roll scrub is the Interstate Crosscheck program, which has generated a master list of nearly 7 million names. Officials say that these names represent legions of fraudsters who are not only registered but have actually voted in two or more states in the same election — a felony punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison.

Until now, state elections officials have refused to turn over their Crosscheck lists, some on grounds that these voters are subject to criminal investigation. Now, for the first time, three states — Georgia, Virginia and Washington — have released their lists to Al Jazeera America, providing a total of just over 2 million names.

This is especially inspired.

quote:

The three states’ lists are heavily weighted with names such as Jackson, Garcia, Patel and Kim — ones common among minorities, who vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Indeed, fully 1 in 7 African-Americans in those 27 states, plus the state of Washington (which enrolled in Crosscheck but has decided not to utilize the results), are listed as under suspicion of having voted twice. This also applies to 1 in 8 Asian-Americans and 1 in 8 Hispanic voters. White voters too — 1 in 11 — are at risk of having their names scrubbed from the voter rolls, though not as vulnerable as minorities.

That was the sales pitch. But the actual lists show that not only are middle names commonly mismatched and suffix discrepancies ignored, even birthdates don’t seem to have been taken into account. Moreover, Crosscheck deliberately ignores Social Security mismatches, in the few instances when the numbers are even collected. The Crosscheck instructions for county election officers state, “Social Security numbers are included for verification; the numbers might or might not match.”

In practice, all it takes to become a suspect is sharing a first and last name with a voter in another state. Typical “matches” identifying those who may have voted in both Georgia and Virginia include:

-Kevin Antonio Hayes of Durham, North Carolina, is a match for a man who voted in Alexandria, Virginia, as Kevin Thomas Hayes.

-John Paul Williams of Alexandria is supposedly the same man as John R. Williams of Atlanta, Georgia.

-Robert Dewey Cox of Marietta, Georgia is matched with Robert Glen Cox of Springfield, Virginia.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

England Sucks posted:

I just want to say thank you Obama. For being the most ineffectual president in the history of this country. For loving everything up. Being a poor decision maker. A poor fighter. And a weak leader. For not willing to stand up on anything and dragging your whole party into the poo poo heap due to it.

Hillary should have won.

We are now going to have a Republican Majority in the senate. A republican majority in the congress. A republican majority in the state senates of the majority of states in the nation including liberal strongholds like loving WASHINGTON.

You are either going to stand up and block the GOPs bills or you are going to bend over backwards for them. And ultimately it doesn't loving matter which one you do you loving retard because at the end of the day you will either be the the "No" president or the cowardly surrendering one.

There is no win here. The name will stick. You hosed up you loving moron.

And the thing is because of your incompetency. Your stupidity. And your inability to show any kind of backbone the next Democratic Presidential candidate is going to lose to. We will lose the White house and have a Republican Dictatorship.

They will roll back every voting rights law. They will roll back obamacare. They will end social security. They will bankrupt the government as we know it and ensure a dictatorship for the next 20 to 40 years by corporations.

Poor Americans will never have a single chance again. Not that you gave a single poo poo about them anyway.

You think it was racist when Nader called you a Uncle Tom back in 2008? Well guess loving what. He was right.

You weren't fit to be president. You weren't fit to lead this country. You were never fit to stand on your convictions. You are a utter coward. And you have caused the end of America for all its citizens.

You are the worst president in the history of this nation and you will go down in history as a Bourgeoisie traitor you piece of scum.

In 2050 when the violent uprising that places the marxist dictatorship a la Venezuela or Cuba in power with a military figurehead like Chavez or Castro we will have no one to loving thank but you. You loving retard.

By then the corruption that will be inherent in our poor population will be impossible to combat and have become the norm of our culture. We will collapse as a nation because there will be no one fit to run a country any more like in South America. We will have the poor or people who care about the poor in power but they will be too stupid and too corrupt to actually do anything to help the poor.

RIP America. Thanks Obama.

Did you forget to refill your Xanax prescription?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Antti posted:

I didn't get through the second paragraph when I thought, "That list must be full of names like 'Juana Rodriguez' with no further identifiers like DOBs attached." Boy howdy.

The first name that popped into my head was 'Jose Garcia', but other than that, yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Miami Herald occasionally comes up with a gem of a quote in their editorials.

You can't just drop a zinger like that and not provide us with a link to the whole piece.

• Locked thread