Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I can't wait to donate to/volunteer for whatever schlub goes up against Rodney Davis, our freshman Republican congressman in IL-13! Our statehouse gerrymandered this district to pack in Democratic voter blocks ranging from Champaign to the Missouri border, but no presidential election = very few votes from the college kids at U of I, ISU, UIS, SIU-Edwardsville, Millikin, Illinois Wesleyan... :suicide:

Question for the brains in the thread: One potential challenger for this seat is my (totally dreamy :swoon: ) State Senator, Mike Frerichs. He enjoys wide support in his senate district and chairs the Higher Education Committee, but I dunno how well he knows the rest of this huge Congressional district. Does it make sense for him to test the waters in 2014, where he'll be going up against a freshman but will lack a Presidential election boost, or wait for the boost but risk going up against a more entrenched Davis?

(Caveat: This may be a difficult question to answer if you are not one of the 11 goons who live in east central Illinois)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

Cook puts IL-13 at D+1, but your district went for Romney by 0.3% in 2012. Looks like it got redrawn something fierce in 2010 since Obama won the old district by 11% in 2008.

eta: The old 13th was the suburbs south of Chicago, the new 13th is an amalgamation of old districts that spans the center and central-West of the state, so there's no comparison to be had here.

eta2: Nevermind, the Kos spreadsheet takes into effect the new boundaries when calculating the 2008 numbers, so the area that is now the 13th really did vote for Obama +11 in 2008 and Romney +0.3 in 2012.

Thanks Joe. Do you have any sense about what the wisdom is about challenging a relatively fresh incumbent in a district that slightly leans the incumbent's way in 2014 vs. waiting for coattails in 2016? Because we'll have both D & R primaries in 2016 I imagine this question is applicable to both parties.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nice Davis posted:

I can't wait to donate to/volunteer for whatever schlub goes up against Rodney Davis, our freshman Republican congressman in IL-13! Our statehouse gerrymandered this district to pack in Democratic voter blocks ranging from Champaign to the Missouri border, but no presidential election = very few votes from the college kids at U of I, ISU, UIS, SIU-Edwardsville, Millikin, Illinois Wesleyan... :suicide:

Question for the brains in the thread: One potential challenger for this seat is my (totally dreamy :swoon: ) State Senator, Mike Frerichs. He enjoys wide support in his senate district and chairs the Higher Education Committee, but I dunno how well he knows the rest of this huge Congressional district. Does it make sense for him to test the waters in 2014, where he'll be going up against a freshman but will lack a Presidential election boost, or wait for the boost but risk going up against a more entrenched Davis?

(Caveat: This may be a difficult question to answer if you are not one of the 11 goons who live in east central Illinois)

So my Congressional race (IL-13) is shaping up to be a real oddball affair. Let's take a look at the cast of characters:

The Republicans

Rodney Davis (incumbent)

Davis is our freshman congressman, who in 2012 defeated three-time Democratic loser David Gill by fewer than 1,500 votes. Davis sits on the committees for Agriculture and Transportation & Infrastructure. He has been a pretty inoffensive placeholder. Of the five bills he's sponsored, two were for renaming Federal assets after a person. He also sponsored a resolution encouraging Americans to celebrate "Read Across America Day". The two things that spring to my mind when I think of Rodney Davis are (a) he has not been an embarrassing jackass, which I appreciate after seeing the antics of many freshman congressmen and women of recent vintage (though that was more of a 2010 problem), and (b) whenever I've contacted his office to share an opinion I've received a prompt and on-point (if somewhat platitude-y) letter from his office, which never happened back when serial phone caller Tim Johnson was my rep. Davis collected just north of $400,000 in campaign contributions in the first quarter of this year.

Erika Harold

This is where things start to get a little goofy. Erika Harold has never held political office, and her first run for office was when she threw her name in the ring after Johnson withdrew after winning the primary (the party ultimately picked Davis in some shenanigans I didn't really follow). Harold was Miss America 2003 and subsequently attended Harvard Law. In between those events she took up the banner for abstinence only education. This ruffled a lot of feathers with some people, not merely because abstinence only education is terrible but because it was never an announced part of her pageant platform (My thought is "who gives a gently caress?" but apparently some people do). It is unclear what issues Harold will be running on, but social issues have been mostly absent from recent campaigns so those might be more in play this time around than usual.

The Democrats

Ann Callis

Ann Callis is a judge in Madison County, Illinois. If you are in the legal profession, you may know of Madison County as one of the American Tort Reform Association's "Judicial Hellholes". Basically, class action attorneys found Madison County to be an extremely friendly venue, with juries from the small county routinely returning gigantic verdicts against corporations. Needless to say, the NRCC is hitting Callis hard on her participation in this phenomenon. Callis' bar rankings have struggled throughout her career; a 1995 survey had her as the 3rd lowest rated judge outside the Chicagoland area (worst was a judge busted for cocaine possession), but she's done better on recent surveys. In the most recent survey, she scored highest on "sensitivity" and "health" and lowest on "impartiality".

Callis hasn't dug down into specific issues yet. Callis also currently lives outside the district. She has not announced whether she will move into it or not. The last redistricting stretched us out pretty good, so I can't imagine anyone caring too much about this.

George Gollin (Undeclared)

George Gollin is a University of Illinois physics professor who is most notable for his attempts to combat online diploma mills. He's gotten some praise for this, although the University had him take down his website back in 2003 for reasons I can't entirely figure out. Gollin has not announced his candidacy but may yet do so. Presumably, higher ed issues would be his focus.

Gollin's work against diploma mills has earned him some unhinged enemies. Take a few moments to check out the boards at the extremely :wtc: "Distance Learning Truth", a forum that has enshrined Gollin into their "DL Hall of Shame" where the same half dozen users post well-reasoned threads such as "George Gollin/Jerry Sandusky Connection?", "Gollin Finds Higgs Boson...In His Pants", and "'Year of the Queer' for Gollin Brat" (which is a really meanspirited ad hom about a girl I went to high school with :smith:).

The Not Participating

David Gill

As I mentioned above, David Gill lost three congressional elections in a row, two against Johnson and one against Davis. Gill was recently appointed to the Illinois Department of Public Health by Governor Quinn. Depending on whom you ask, this was either a move by the Illinois Dems to clear a proven non-closer out of the congressional field, or a victory for Illinois healthcare consumers who now have an advocate in the form of this longtime physician.

Mike Frerichs

My hope for Democratic nominee, State Senator Frerichs has stated that he's not running for Congress but is widely presumed to be preparing a run for Illinois State Treasurer. The office is currently held by a Republican who is considering running for our next to-be-incarcerated governor.

----------

IL-13 is going to continue to be pretty irrelevant on the national stage, but it does present an opportunity for a team Dem pickup. If you find yourself getting overly involved in actual important Congressional battles next year, consider cooling off with a dip in the benign but entertaining kiddie pool that my district promises to be.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

What's so terrible about Chabad?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Does anyone in this thread know goddamn anything about Judaism? (fake edit: apparently The Warszawa.) Mondoweiss is a progressive site, run by two Jewish guys. The article that mcmagic posted was written by a third Jewish guy, and it is absolutely not an "ugly, racist Sharpe James deal". It (completely fairly) attacks Booker for his outspoken support of Israel, and it (perhaps unfairly) tarnishes him by mentioning him next to disgusting things that Boteach has said. This is just my opinion, as a Jew - it is intensely harmful, for the US, for Israel, and for the Middle East, when people equate "criticism of Israel" or "criticism of Zionism" with "racism".

(The article doesn't seem to be up anymore, but if you google the url, you can read a cached version of it.)

Second, Chabad is only a "cult" in the sense that any other religious movement is a cult. True, there are plenty of institutional problems (with insularity, repression, misogyny, and so on); but these are present in the Catholic Church, or in many Protestant denominations. And there are plenty of right-wing shitheads, again like in other religious organizations. But that doesn't justify tarring the entire group of people with that same brush, any more than we can say that most or all Catholics must support child abuse. (I've never heard of sexual abuse allegations against Chabad, though I would be quite interested in them; do you have a link?)

If you're saying that all religions are cults, well, I might agree with you, but I don't think it's a particularly fruitful line of discussion. But if you're singling out Chabad, and saying that it's more of a cult than the Jesuits or the Promise Keepers or Sufi Islam or whatever... That, to me, is extremely problematic at the least.

Chabad of Melbourne had a child abuse scandal a couple years ago, but that's literally the only branch where there's been anything like that and it's not like the orders were coming down from on high in Crown Heights to cover it up.

I appreciate you and The Warszawa sticking up for Chabad. It's hard to find a more welcoming congregation, in my opinion. Of the several Chabad branches I've interacted with over the years, all of them are extremely big on interfaith stuff and tell Jews of all levels of orthodoxy to "come as you are". Meanwhile, the Reform and Conservative congregations I know all suffer from intense internal politcal strife largely driven by observancy disputes. Chabad owns and its institutional problems are no greater than any other institution of comparable size.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Kim Jong Il posted:

Once you move up the upper rungs it is definitely a cult, they believe that Schneerson is the messiah and have a giant cult of personality around him.

Yes, I know this. "Some people think that someone else is the messiah" is really not a terrible thing unless they're causing harm to others on the basis of that belief. Do you think that's occurring, or is it just "terrible" that some people are misguided and the effects are pretty much limited to them?

(Also most of Chabed does not think of Schneerson as such. If you think that's the majority opinion, I'd want to see a source backing that up. None of the Chabadniks I know have bought into the Schneerson mythos, even though they admire and honor him very much.)

EDIT: kyoon has a website you might enjoy: http://www.chabad-mafia.com/cult.php

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 16, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

mcmagic posted:

They don't talk about it to Jews they are trying to recruit but they all believe it. This is kind of a side discussion though. Booker and his awful friends are the issue. Another reason his candidacy annoys me is that the second he gets in the senate he's going to be on every VP shortlist for 2016 and presidential list for 2020 if the D's lose the next election since it's clear he has national ambitions. For people like me who want to see the democratic party move far leftward, this will be bad news.

Boy, you sure are backing up your crackpot opinion with a lot of great links and documentation!

oh wait

EDIT: VVVVV Citation: totally happened to me, bro

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 16, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

mcmagic posted:

Can you post a link to this please? I don't have a New Yorker sub.

I hope you get your link because at this point I'm totally willing to be convinced by one article, what with your really strong argument so far and all.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Yes, I'm clearly too far gone to be rescued, but maybe you could still post some sources to back up your totally reasonable assertions so that other goons don't fall victim to the same cult mentality I obviously have.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SedanChair posted:

I think most of Schweitzer's positions on energy, public lands, gun control etc. are just because he is trying to govern Montana. But Montana doesn't force him to go on Bill Maher and gloat like a smug bolo-tied man-tureen about the death of bin Laden. He's gross to me, but mostly for style reasons. I hope he runs for President against Christie so we can rename the general election "America's Widest Face."

Would Michael Ramirez still manage to wormify them? The world deserves to know.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Highspeeddub posted:

The Michigan Campaign Finance Network published a report this week on 2012 campaign spending in Michigan. The dramatic title of the report is "Descending Into Dark Money."

As the title should inform you, the levels of campaign spending in Michigan were outrageous.

Holy poo poo, these guys couldn't hire an editor?

The report has plenty of tables, more than half of the report are tables of individual US and state politicians and their complete campaign contribution breakdown. Another significant area of spending in Michigan was the amount spent on advertising for the presidential primary:

Understandably 2014 shouldn't be as expensive as the 2012 campaign because there's no presidential race, but we will be electing federal and state level legislatures, governors and judges. The amount of money spent in Michigan alone is mind-boggling to me, especially with the superPAC advertising blitz that happened here. $22,000,000 on general election advertising, and that number doesn't include the primary spending in the table above.

I would love to know what kind of TV play Ron Paul purchased in the UP with $453

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

:stare:

I sure missed out on a lot of fun living in a solid blue state with a late primary

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spoon0042 posted:

There's an article/column in the paper today about the good chance Corbett may go 0-for-3 on his legislative priorities this session. (Which are: liquor privatization, lottery privatization, and pension reform. There's also an important transportation bill up.)

If I read right the budget is due at midnight and everything else may have to wait until the fall session.

Of course, the transportation bill is the only thing that isn't terrible. The problem is it needs Democratic support because shitheads some rural Republicans see it as wasting ARE TAX DOLLARS on urban areas, and gently caress those guys. And Democrats have been completely shut out of the political process since Corbett took office so they're not exactly jumping at the chance. Oh, and there's a whole political mess where some representatives are making their support of liquor privatization contingent on the transportation bill passing and other fun stuff like that... like the liquor privatization may come down to how many Republicans decide to be prohibitionists or throw a fit because their special interest didn't get a deal. That one in particular is a hilarious mess.

Summary: Republicans have a stranglehold on Pennsylvania government and still can't get anything done.

What's so bad about the liquor privatization bill?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I just watched it and oh my god. I'm loving dying/crying. That is beautiful.

Yeah, Comcast finally stopped stepping on the hose they send my internet through so I can stream videos again. And it's glorious! :swoon:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

Nobody has accused Scott Schaben, a car salesman running for the Republican Senate nomination in Iowa, of being a racist, but just in case you were considering doing that you should know that you can't because his wife is black. So there, Bruce Braley (who, again, has not actually said anything on the subject)!

Sorry Schaben, you're gonna have to marry an Armenian, a Samoan, and a dude before I truly believe you've unshackled your heart from the chains of identity privilege.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm excited to hear lots of compelling personal anecdotes about how this white male--whose parents paid his expensive elite prep school tuition, and who then went on to earn a Masters of Science in Administration from publicly-funded Central Michigan University while serving in the US Army--overcame great challenges with no help from anyone else to bootstrap himself all the way up to the 1%, and you can too, poor minorities, so no vital social programs government handouts for you! :allears:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Alter Ego posted:

It takes a special kind of detached arrogance to keep running for office after loving up this much.

Somehow the Weiner campaign got ahold of my email (this might actually be a legit "Thanks Obama" if he's sharing donor lists, though that seems unlikely). My favorite one was a couple weeks ago, where Weiner said that lots of people who aren't New Yorkers think he should shove off, but real New Yorkers like me know that Weiner is best for our city and need to stand up to those outsiders.

I've lived in Illinois and Michigan my whole life.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

"AS OF THIS DATE" Sarah Palin is not going to run for Senate in Alaska. But at a future date? Maybe! Who knows?! You'd better send her $5 or even $50 while she sorts all this out.

This woman is her own goddamn printing press. I wish I knew how to hustle this good.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ReindeerF posted:

I wonder if she would be able to answer the magazine/newspaper question today if it were dropped on her randomly in an interview. I'd put $20 on "no."

Give her a break, man. She gave plenty of answers the first time around. "Most of them", "all of them", "any of them"...how many more indefinite answers does she need to give to sate your liberal bloodlust!?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Don't overthink it. He's just trying to one up Herman Cain's 2012 tour de force.

Performance artists, amirite? :rolleyes:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spoon daddy posted:

Jfc, I hope DeBlasio wins just to stick it to schmucks like that.

On another note, a family friend attended a small business owner's meeting with the mayoral canidates and asked with a straight face, "Ms. Quinn, why don't you like Weiner?". He was promptly walked from the event. Anthony Weiner is the gift that just doesn't stop giving.

Your friend sounds like a douchebag

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

"September 11 is something, in my view, you don't talk about politically. It's almost sacred." ~ Rudy Giuliani, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBSsHexjwA

HAHAHAhahaha eat poo poo, Rudy.

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DteDRD6cbbM&t=31s

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hello TFR, thanks for visiting the 2014 Midterms thread

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

gfanikf posted:

Far less than the puppetmaster raised. He personally outspent them by 10k. Its been in a number of articles.

Sorry but the NRA spending boogeyman didn't occur in this instance.

Mother Jones posted:

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who chairs a group called Mayors Against Illegal Guns[,] gave $350,000.

. . .

The National Rifle Association Committee to Restore Coloradans' Rights, as the NRA's recall group is called, had spent $362,000 as of September 3, with more expected over the last week.

:eng99:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

e: never mind, the 2014 Midterms thread is not the gun control thread

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 13, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Help me out, Gfanikf: is an exploitative rear end in a top hat who uses race to enrich himself better or worse than a new york puppet master who tries to steal the guns out of the hands of true patriots? TIA for your assistance.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you know today was constitution day? I sure didn't. Thanks for informing me and everyone on the University of Kentucky's campus Mitch and thanks for the free apple pie!

Grimes, you've got a little over a year to catch up on the free pie race for students. FYI pizza is worth more than terrible food service apple pie!

ps: I saw the sign up sheet for team mitch. It was empty. :laugh:

Did you not even try to sign up as Weedlord Bonerhitler? Shameful.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

Watch out Cory! Rick Perry has endorsed Lonegan and will make three campaign appearances in New Jersey.

I assume his game his stealing potential Christie donors/voters? Somehow I don't think that plan's gonna work so hot.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know where Crist lives, but it is worth noting US House Reps don't have to live in the district they represent. They just have to reside in the state.

That's the case for my (hopefully) next representative. I really wish she lived in the district. I don't care if she's from a few miles outside our gerrymandered borders, but I think it could sway a lot of low-info voters away from her.

On the other hand, it would be hilarious if this scene was worked into a political ad against her.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

It's been a great year for tri-state area campaign media statements, hasn't it?

In case you're wondering, "Did he stop there?" He did not. :allears:

quote:

"Gary Hart was like on his way to the nomination and then you see this picture on the front of the National Enquirer. It's like, holy poo poo what a loving idiot. ... Like what are you thinking? ... I've worked with people who like to have friends, girlfriends and poo poo, but they'll never get photographed with them, you know? It's like, they're very discreet and professional, you know? You kind of know, but it's not like sit on my lap, let me eat your pussy while you're sitting here," Shaftan said.

:stare:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

It's going to be difficult to top this campaign "ad" of Jeff Wagner's for Mayor of Minneapolis. He's really on the ballot, by the way.

Oh and this is very much :nws: :nms: :stare: :catstare: No, really!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbrXf9dBtZw

Going the old "no publicity is bad publicity" route, I see.

:magical:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Teddybear posted:

Primary yesterday in the MA-5 election to replace now-Sen. Ed Markey. The Dems went with Clark, a state senator who's a very safe, reliable D vote, and she'll be a good rep.

Republicans went with Addivinola, who has seven degrees and taught my undergrad Intro to Law course, and who I had to inform-- over his protest-- that Massachusetts does not, in fact, have the death penalty. Addivinola doesn't live in the district, but lives in Boston, where he recently ran for City Council. As did his wife. And he also ran for this seat in 2012.

Election's in December, so... Congrats, Rep. Clark.

I thought you were exaggerating but you're not :stare:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

e: whoa I thought I was caught up but I guess not

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

It's typical for a party to get a boost coming off a successful election, as they had in 2012. The decline over the spring was the natural shedding of loose partisans.

Meanwhile, see if you can guess which of the candidates in this video is the current mayor of St. Paul Minnesota, running for re-election, and which ones are the challengers. Hint: he's the one who can't stop laughing.

Even in mayoral candidate wackiness, St. Paul is still playing second fiddle to Minneapolis

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

Pretty :stare: new advertisement from Alison Lundergan Grimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5BVJiSOug

Should have made Mitch's eyes light up with fire. B+.

e: maybe something like this

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KomradeX posted:

So cross posting this from the Terrible editorial thread.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/happy-tale-cities-article-1.1483174

Ed Glaeser is not "some rear end in a top hat Harvard economist", he's one of the preeminent minds in the field of land use economics today. And he's absolutely correct in calling out LI and Westchester for zoning out housing for low income service workers. It is absolutely true that New York City proper has remained a much better option for the poor and very poor than almost any neighboring suburban jurisdiction precisely because it maintains a variety of services that support them.

Glaeser is very much in favor of improving low income individuals' access to the economy by reducing the barriers that local governments throw up in the form of land use regulations.

e: I make no excuses for his support of charter schools, an issue with which I am too unfamiliar to take a firm stance. But his recommended land use policies have been solid for many years and remain so.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 29, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KomradeX posted:

As I said in that thread when he writes this "But the best way for a mayor DeBlasio to care for the city is to focus on getting the basics of city government right, not to try to run an ever-larger local welfare state." That makes what your saying ring hallow since he's saying. Yes help the poor, but don't do anything to actually help them. Which does make him some rear end in a top hat Harvard economist. It's nice he might have non lovely opinions, but when you write don't raise taxes to help social services I think that counter acts any pro poor stances he may hold.

The article doesn't say this though. :confused:

e: RE: "Yes help the poor, but don't do anything to actually help them": Reducing regulatory barriers to housing construction is a 100% valid way of helping the poor without taxing a single cent from anyone's pocket. Is there a reason you think that the only useful action a municipality can take is taxing/spending? Because (at least in my experience as a municipal planner) there is a lot that can be achieved through regulatory policy.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 29, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sancho posted:

Eh depends where you did this. Building regulations in AZ are the only way our houses don't spontaneously combust. We have some seriously, SERIOUSLY shady contractors. I'd put ours against any of the other 49 states any day if there was a skim-off or embezzling contest.

I'm talking about land use policy, specifically both direct and indirect density controls. Examples of indirect density controls include minimum parking requirements, minimum setbacks, and minimum lot sizes.

What you're talking about is building codes, which are really more of a health/safety/wellness thing than zoning is.

e: To clarify, both Glaeser and I support reforming the former, not the latter. Robust building codes are definitely a good thing. They are one of the things that make modern medium- and high-density living so pleasant and attractive.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 29, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Joementum posted:

There's a 101 year old man running for Congress as a write-in candidate in FL-16 and he's pretty great.

:unsmith:

Cute story, but let's be realistic: the voters of Bay Village of Sarasota aren't gonna take a young kid like this seriously. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Chokes McGee posted:

Louisville goon checking in. You can't use us as a barometer for anything in Kentucky, we're basically the blue dot in the sea of red. In order to pick up the win, Grimes'll need to get a good foothold outside of Louisville/Lexington, and I have no idea where that path lies. Mmmaybe they can pick up Bowling Green off the back of WKU students, but places like Shepherdsville are a haven of douchebaggery and near-guaranteed to vote red.

What about Ashland and all the other union towns near west virginia?

• Locked thread