Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Joementum posted:

Here's what I see as the unknowns for 2014:

1. How well is Obamacare implemented? Is the Federal system actually, you know, funded? Over half the states will be relying on it and it's up to this Congress with this House of Representatives to appropriate sufficient funding. How well do the remaining states actually do in their implementation of the exchanges? The blame for their failures will roll uphill. And how unpopular will the mandate be once it's implemented.

This is what has always drove me insane about our eagerness to appease the "states rights" mouth-breathers. The reliance on allowing each state to individually administer a given program just means you get 50 different levels of cost-effectiveness, competence, etc.

It's an age-old tautology and it pisses me off:

Democrats: Our new program is federally administered, so it can done be cheaply and equitably! :)

Republicans: Liberal facists! You're just want to give the govt MORE POWERS! :argh:

Democrats: Okay, we'll let each state decide how best to implement it. :shobon:

Republicans: Fiscally irresponsible pigs! Our states don't have the resources to administer your unfunded mandates!

*Repeat ad infinitum*

e: On topic: Looking forward to the Judd-McConnell debates :munch: Also, gently caress Paul LePage.

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

The Maroon Hawk posted:

After reading up on Baucus too (I've heard his name but didn't actually know much about it)...holy poo poo do I agree. How did that shitbag make it into office? His wiki article makes it sound like he's one of the biggest reasons single-payer wasn't even considered for healthcare reform.

Dollar. Dollar. Bills, y'all.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

MaxxBot posted:

I wouldn't say it makes him a shithead but wanting to deliberately drive up gas prices is pretty much straight up "gently caress the poor." He did later retract that comment though to be fair.

It's entirely reasonable to suggest that gasoline in the US is too cheap and that it doesn't reflect the damage carbon emissions do to the environment. While it would undoubtedly hurt the poor, lessening American oil consumption is a generally desirable goal. The "how" is a separate argument.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

MaxxBot posted:

The point of taxes is revenue, the ideal tax rate is that which is enough to pay for the infrastructure that the tax is supposed to support. If the gas tax increase was going directly to fund alternative energy and transportation then that would be fine, but that's a lot more specific than just saying that we need to "somehow" find a way to drive up gas prices so people use less of it.

:eng101: A carbon tax would be Pigouvian, i.e. it's there because we don't want you to do it, and we will use the revenue to repair some of the damage your action has caused.

e for on-topic: REPUBLICANS RAISE TAXES :supaburn: in Wyoming!!! No telling how this will play out in those closely watched local races :v:

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 21, 2013

• Locked thread