Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
The republicans have proven they learned nothing and simply need to double down harder; all we need is a couple more "legitimate rape" moments.

I also think Democratic turnout in 2012 was a reaction to low turnout in 2010... People realized what happens when you don't bother to vote. I predict higher turnouts for 2014, especially if Obama puts his organization to work (another hard lesson about 2010).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

De Nomolos posted:

That's a phrase I hear in some form or another on liberal blogs, but saying that and getting constituencies that vote GOP out of cultural reasons to be compelled to come to your side because of irresistible progressive policies and hard work is something that I personally, being from a similar area, find a little naive. The national Dem coalition isn't built for rural people, sadly. It's built for the booming demographics of minority and recent immigrant groups along with urban liberals.

And even if you have what you think is an irresistible message, the Democratic infrastructure in places like this is still built on local politicos who are more conservative. If they weren't there would be no party. Case in point: WV still has a Democratic Party because of this independence, but neighboring VA, with its center of power in Northern VA, can hardly find anyone to run for seats outside of NoVA, unless they are literally insane. The guy that ran for my home seat last year once wrote a column where he seemingly insinuated that the GOP was run by Dark Wizards.

Long story short: Kentucky, due to its character, doesn't have the liberal infrastructure to elect someone from Hollywood.

Conservative men love hot chicks; many will vote for the home town hottie and despite doing so for the wrong reasons we should unabashedly take advantage of that. Plus everyone loves old fashioned campaigning, like showing up to local sporting events and lots of "rah rah I'll fight for our interests, not Washington politics".

Besides, she's the best chance dems have of knocking old turtle face out of his seat; the national party should give her a big fist full of cash if she runs.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

The Landstander posted:

No doubt part of the logic was the (reasonable) expectation that the Republicans would overplay their hand if/when they viciously attacked her; it also seemed like the Democrats were/are becoming a bit more aggressive on a handful of issues (mostly social ones), so she could play into that strategy. And The Daily Caller nudity thing was the level of respectability in journalism that I've come to expect from Mr. Carlson.

Still, I can't shake the feeling "Hollywood Actress Liberal Ashley Judd" will have some power with that electorate, and given that Mitch McConnell is a pug who no one in the state (nor his own party) actually likes, it would be a shame to do that campaign when they might have some more traditional, more formidable candidates in a race that doesn't strike me as a lost cause.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

"Hollywood Liberals" are those other celebrities who left poor ol' Podunk and never even came back for Christmas.

Celebrities that live or regularly vist and take an interest in the hometown are our celebrities and that buys a lot. It is using the my team stuff against Republicans for once.

She has a good chance, anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

Watch it turn out some money>brains yokel in the US was betting up Romney (still illegal if I recall, but nobody was ever stopped by needing a proxy/VPN) and sued because they believed it was a conspiracy.

I couldn't imagine it was just the 'betting on elections' thing because other bookies do it without issue.

Comedy option: Thad McCotter betting thousands against himself (incumbency yo) and then turning in all those forged signatures for his candidacy petition and dropping out.

Word on the street is the founder made some "irregular" payments to himself the past few years and now there is missing money. YMMV, its not confirmed yet.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Battleground Texas is definitely a long game, but they are starting with neighborhood voter registration drives and local involvement. I can only assume they'll be looking for good candidates to run in the locals to start building a bench. http://www.battlegroundtexas.com/content/home

The Perry machine seems to be worried enough to make some noise about them but I can't tell if they really believe it or not.

If you live in Texas, sign up, donate a few bucks, and contribute. It's the first time in my life I've ever actually participated politically because I can't stand another day of Texas Republicans.

• Locked thread