Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Majestic posted:

Is there something about Steven Chu I'm missing that makes this description appropriate?

I wouldn't say it makes him a shithead but wanting to deliberately drive up gas prices is pretty much straight up "gently caress the poor." He did later retract that comment though to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Acrophyte posted:

It's entirely reasonable to suggest that gasoline in the US is too cheap and that it doesn't reflect the damage carbon emissions do to the environment. While it would undoubtedly hurt the poor, lessening American oil consumption is a generally desirable goal. The "how" is a separate argument.

I totally agree but driving up gas prices is probably the most regressive way you could possibly go about doing it.

We need to actually invest in the R&D necessary (using money from progressive taxation) to develop a viable alternative for the average American to get to work and such before we put a massive burden on their finances by driving up gas prices.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 21, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I agree why didn't the energy and transportation secretary take transportation into account during his offhanded comment? I mean, it's not like that's a separate department and his job is to basically only look at energy as a problem, right?

If you're going to support something (bringing American gas prices up to the levels of those in Europe) that would put a massive financial burden on already hurting working class Americans, it's pretty drat important to point out that you'd want to do so after providing them some alternative method to get from point A to point B. Obviously he wouldn't have all the details on that part but he at least should have mentioned that if it was his intent.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

karthun posted:

So lets flip this argument around, lowering gas taxes would release a massive financial burden on already hurting working class Americans. Not wanting to increase gas taxes is the same as wanting to reduce gas taxes unless you want to argue that we are in a Goldilocks zone for gas taxes.

The point of taxes is revenue, the ideal tax rate is that which is enough to pay for the infrastructure that the tax is supposed to support. If the gas tax increase was going directly to fund alternative energy and transportation then that would be fine, but that's a lot more specific than just saying that we need to "somehow" find a way to drive up gas prices so people use less of it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

quote != edit

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The only reason I'm excited about the race is because it's the ultimate test of the "not conservative enough" narrative. It's really, really difficult to claim that your guy lost because he was a RINO when he's up there talking about jailing people for sodomy and adultery. Sure people will still do it or find some other idiotic excuse if he loses but it will be hilarious to watch.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 23, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I think it would pass if we got a vote, there's very little chance of widespread backlash from constituents on this issue. ENDA is not gay marriage, support for it in polls is over 70%, it even has majority support in Mississippi. The entire issue is trying to convince Boehner to let it go to the floor, which seems unlikely but it could happen.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 7, 2013

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Well that didn't take long.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/02/05/3251621/clay-aiken-renee-ellmers/

quote:

It speaks volumes to the state of the N.C. Democratic Party that the primary is shaping up to be a choice between the failed Perdue Administration’s Keith Crisco, a lawyer who doesn’t even live in the district, an activist who’s (sic) own party rejected her in the last democrat primary – and Aiken, a performer whose political views more closely resemble those of San Francisco than Sanford,” Ellmers spokeswoman Jessica Wood wrote in an email. “Renee best represents the values of the voters in the 2nd District and remains focused on fighting for their families.

Yes his "views," suuure. Those views which are so thoroughly documented considering he doesn't even have a campaign website up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

That was what drove me away from libertarianism, by and large none of them give a gently caress about social issues one way or the other they just want to focus on the "real" issues aka lower taxes and fewer regulations on businesses.

• Locked thread