Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RentCavalier posted:

with confusing level design

Isn't that the point of a tomb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
It's a nice touch that her bow doesn't float on her back like most third person whatevers.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

RentCavalier posted:

Fair enough, I'll have to look for it. My Tomb Raider experience has been with the PS2 reboot (the one that everyone really liked, not the one everyone really hated) and with Anniversary on the PS3 and I've found both to be cumbersome to play, sporting awkward control schemes and really dodgy platforming, with confusing level design and a terrible camera.

Well, the PS2 one was alright, actually, it was just very boring. I swapped it for God of War and never looked back.

It's part of why I'm excited for the new one. The new one looks like it controls a bit better, and if all else fails, at least looks better. Although I'm sure it'll be fine in other aspects.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there really cross-bows in this game?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Liquid Penguins posted:

Is this really what people want from a tomb raider game?

Hon, that stick's through your brain. What are you doing how are you still pawing at it, who do you think you are Phineas Gage or something???

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
New video that explains some of the mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwBZpeBa9o

Still looks great.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Explosive barrels! Cover shooting! Just what the world was crying out for!

EDIT: Ok I just watched the long playthrough, and the exploration/traversal looks really really good. I do worry a little about talk of "hubs" though, it makes me think that free exploration is limited to certain areas with the bulk of the game being a series of cover shooting galleries.

FYI for UK people: Shopto have preorders for the PC version at less than 20 quid and console versions for just over 30. I was going to hold off on ordering until the release buzz had worn off but at this price I think I might just go for it http://www.shopto.net/microsite/tomb_raider

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 21, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Explosive barrels! Cover shooting! Just what the world was crying out for!

Explosive barrels that explode when shot with a bow, no less. Truly the most explodiest of barrels. Bizarrely, the ridiculousness of that makes me want to play the game more...

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

halwain posted:

So are there actual Tombs to explore or is this just Uncharted: Lara Croft edition?

How would that be a Bad Thing?

Actually really interested in this game. I also don't get the whole "gorey death scenes" problem. Then again, I'm just getting back from the Dead Space thread. Call me if something rips her head off, sticks it's spindley body down her neck and then puppeteers the rest of her to fit its head comfortably on her neck stump.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

User0015 posted:

How would that be a Bad Thing?

Actually really interested in this game. I also don't get the whole "gorey death scenes" problem. Then again, I'm just getting back from the Dead Space thread. Call me if something rips her head off, sticks it's spindley body down her neck and then puppeteers the rest of her to fit its head comfortably on her neck stump.

The "best" one of these from the past gen and this is still the acid in Resident Evil 4. Most people never saw it because the enemy that does this attack is so weak. But after Leon falls you literally see half his face melted off and his skull and stuff for a second. I think it's actually only in the US Gamecube and Wii releases. Gory and/or plentiful death scenes for a character are nothing new. I think the (valid) issue people are taking is with how this game is supposed to be the story of how Lara Croft becomes a badass but most of the marketing for the game is "watch horrible things happen to Lara Croft over and over again."

I doubt they're going for Dark Souls level difficulty so if not appropriate to show off the gameplay, it's comes off like they're making game exclusively for those Youtube communities that have hours of videos of Ada Wong being decapitated from every angle or whatever.

The game SEEMS like it's basically more violent Uncharted, and that would be awesome, but if the fast traveling via hubs and the physics puzzles are so awesome I'd sure wish they'd show us some more of them. I'm really interested in the game myself but I can see how the way they've marketed and released media for it has put some people off.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Attention Horse posted:

Still looks great.

Definitely gonna wait for reviews but the game looks really fun.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Attention Horse posted:

Still looks great.

I'm really digging all those counter attack animations a little after 3 minutes in. Also here's a video that was released a while ago talking about the multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zytgY3r8Jg
4:30 in. It's not much, but ammo boxes that are actually explosive traps!

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 22, 2013

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

It turns out Nixxes is doing the PC port for Tomb Raider, they did the ports of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Hitman: Absolution recently which were both pretty great ports.

code:
 Minimum system requirements for PC

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
    Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
    1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)

Recommended system requirements for PC

Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
    DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 4870, nVidia GTX 480
    Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 565, Intel Core i5-750
    4GB Memory
I got a good deal pre-ordering this a while ago and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about it now.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Since I'm not sure if their is a better place to post and ask I'll tr here, Does anyone still play Lara Croft: the Guardian of Light? I'm really enjoying the game but have been told that co-op is the best experience. However when I try to find or make a game no games are found or no one is around and the Steam boards are dead. Has everyone given up on it or is it a bad game for match-making?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's a very fun co-op game, but I remember even when it was new I could never find a match-making partner. Your best bet is to find somebody, get him on your friends list and play together. Voice communication is key in this game, you're going to need to find somebody you can be/are friends with.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
After a 5 minute wait I managed to find someone from Croatia to play with! He didn't have a mic but did understand English, it was his first time playing so had to help play tutorial for a few stages but after we gelled we got on great. Knew where we were supposed to be and what role to take in a puzzle. It was funny as the guy just kept dying from the most incompetent things, like setting off explosives in his face and throwing himself on obvious booby traps but we had a laugh and I made him my Steam buddy for future gaming sessions. If people are going to be getting Lara Croft: and the Guardian of Light as a freebie then I urge you to check out this game it does not disappoint!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I don't normally preorder games. I preordered this for three reasons:

1: Crystal Dynamics are 4 for 4 on good Tomb Raider games. Core ran out of steam after 2. It also sounds a bit like Soul Reaver, which they also made, and was also great.
2: Rhianna Pratchett is the lead writer on this, is VERY proud of her work and seems annoyed at how the marketing has misrepresented how things actually play out in-game.
3: I managed to stack a bunch of discounts a while back and get it for about £17 from Green Man Gaming. Budget price off the bat? Yes please!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dominic White posted:

2: Rhianna Pratchett is the lead writer on this, is VERY proud of her work and seems annoyed at how the marketing has

There's a possibility that this wasn't entirely her fault, but she also wrote Mirror's Edge, which had a laughably awful storyline.

I do think this game will be at least alright, but maybe that isn't the part I'm hopeful about.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

There's a possibility that this wasn't entirely her fault, but she also wrote Mirror's Edge, which had a laughably awful storyline.

It also had about three minutes of storyline spread across the whole game. It was 98% running, 2% cutscenes, and the cutscenes were farmed out to a third-party group.

Still, some hands-on previews had pretty good things to say about the narrative so far.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 24, 2013

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ronnie posted:

Since I'm not sure if their is a better place to post and ask I'll tr here, Does anyone still play Lara Croft: the Guardian of Light? I'm really enjoying the game but have been told that co-op is the best experience. However when I try to find or make a game no games are found or no one is around and the Steam boards are dead. Has everyone given up on it or is it a bad game for match-making?

I found Guardian of Light to be a very enjoyable, if maybe a little repetitive, romp. The levels were well designed, the graphics were great, the action keeps you engaged and the game even offers a decent challenge at points, although some of the puzzles (like that hosed up spike floor...thing...in the spider tomb) are just a pain to do, even if/when you know their solutions.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Hakkesshu posted:

It really didn't. It was just a simple story about saving your sister, with a lot of background story and setup that didn't really get covered in detail due to the nature of the game. I think having a game like this where the player can actually learn things instead of literally rushing from A to B will let her flex her writing ability in more creative ways than outsourced cartoons and brief 1st person interludes before cops show up run run.

I feel like there's almost no hype for this game. It honestly is looking really good. Batman Arkham Asylum meets Uncharted, and the studio seems entirely competent enough to pull it off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

User0015 posted:

It really didn't. It was just a simple story about saving your sister, with a lot of background story and setup that didn't really get covered in detail due to the nature of the game. I think having a game like this where the player can actually learn things instead of literally rushing from A to B will let her flex her writing ability in more creative ways than outsourced cartoons and brief 1st person interludes before cops show up run run.

I feel like there's almost no hype for this game. It honestly is looking really good. Batman Arkham Asylum meets Uncharted, and the studio seems entirely competent enough to pull it off.

The story literally features the police training EVIL PARKOUR COPS. It's really stupid.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm excited for this.

Every piece of information on the gameplay, core systems, port, everything has me excited. The only things that bother me are the death scenes, and the one assault trailer.

However, I didn't like the death scenes in RE, or Dead Space either, yet still liked them because I enjoyed the gameplay. I highly doubt that if this game is good they'll detract much from the experience, and am not enough of a social justice warrior to throw a fit about it. I hate them all equally, but I can see why they got put in, so whatever.

As for the assault bit, eh. I can see where it comes in as a literary device, and I trust Rhianna Pratchett enough that I believe it won't be turned in to pandering. And if it does, I can just turn off my brain during the story bits, and continue bowing guys down.

And yeah, games like this don't get made often for PC. Uncharted Batman Far Cry 3? Sure, I'll take two. Especially when the devs are currently 4/4 for quality.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I went ahead and preordered after I saw one of their recent feature videos.

I'm a sucker for upgrading weapons, and the climbing axe kill looks pretty gnarly.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

ImpAtom posted:

The story literally features the police training EVIL PARKOUR COPS. It's really stupid.

Eh, they made sense from a gameplay perspective, and besides, the actual writing and general characters of Mirror's Edge were pretty good. Considering how generally light on characterization it was, you got a fairly decent cast with at the very least well-defined, if perhaps a bit undeveloped, personalities.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Reviews for this should be rolling out in the next few minutes - time to find out whether my gamble worked out. If it did, score! If not... anyone want a Steam key for the game for £18?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Reviews for this should be rolling out in the next few minutes - time to find out whether my gamble worked out. If it did, score! If not... anyone want a Steam key for the game for £18?

I've checked about 10 sites and everyone is giving it 8+ or whatever their equivalent is. People seem to like it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Eurogamer's review is pretty snarky and makes a major point of it being perhaps a little thematically dissonant and videogamey, but still ends up saying it's a genuinely good game. So, yay - I'm pleased that I get a good game for budget price ($25).

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 25, 2013

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

drat, I expected the reviews to be good/mediocre, but not THAT good. Can't wait to raid some tombs.

...are there actually tombs in this game?

edit: the reviews came out really early - the game comes out next week but there's already a ton of reviews online.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 25, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
How has the question 'are there tombs in this game' been asked twice in the Tomb Raider thread, in the first two pages, when one of the trailers has the punchilne of her being in a tomb and hating it.

Maybe we should add it to the OP.

EDIT: And of course I forget to answer; yes, there are tombs in this game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Good to see some good reviews coming out for this, although I still don't trust reviews as much as actual goon responses, so I'll be looking forward to hearing what you folks think.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I don't trust the reviews and will wait for goon opinion as well. But honestly I don't even know what game this is. Is this an open world Metroid-like game I keep hearing about or is it an uncharted? I seriously don't know.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

But honestly I don't even know what game this is. Is this an open world Metroid-like game I keep hearing about or is it an uncharted? I seriously don't know.

Batman Arkham + Uncharted + Far Cry 3

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Attention Horse posted:

Batman Arkham + Uncharted + Far Cry 3

You mean they are finally making an Animal Man game!?!?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RentCavalier posted:

You mean they are finally making an Animal Man game!?!?

Nope, Vixen.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Saint Freak posted:

Nope, Vixen.

I'd have preferred Huntress. :(

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Polygon liked it, and gave it a 9:

http://www.polygon.com/game/tomb-raider-2013/2348

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I gotta say, the bold move of lifting the press embargo weeks before the release date was part of the reason I just preordered. Well, that and the fact that the reviewers actually seem to like it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Polygon are a bit over-enthusiastic about everything, but they're also one of a handful of sites that are effectively independent of the advertising cycle that leads to so many places being accused of shilling or selling out. RPS is another site where they basically get to write whatever they want while ads are just incidental and not related to the content at all.

Editorial freedom + glowing review is probably a good sign, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dominic White posted:

Polygon are a bit over-enthusiastic about everything, but they're also one of a handful of sites that are effectively independent of the advertising cycle that leads to so many places being accused of shilling or selling out.

This is really funny after Polygon took money from Microsoft and only a short time after McElroy went on a fevered, rage-fuelled defence of advertisements on games journalism web-pages and against adblock.

I'm glad the game is reviewing well, but that really doesn't mean much. I always figured it would.

• Locked thread