Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

User0015 posted:

How would that be a Bad Thing?

Actually really interested in this game. I also don't get the whole "gorey death scenes" problem. Then again, I'm just getting back from the Dead Space thread. Call me if something rips her head off, sticks it's spindley body down her neck and then puppeteers the rest of her to fit its head comfortably on her neck stump.

The "best" one of these from the past gen and this is still the acid in Resident Evil 4. Most people never saw it because the enemy that does this attack is so weak. But after Leon falls you literally see half his face melted off and his skull and stuff for a second. I think it's actually only in the US Gamecube and Wii releases. Gory and/or plentiful death scenes for a character are nothing new. I think the (valid) issue people are taking is with how this game is supposed to be the story of how Lara Croft becomes a badass but most of the marketing for the game is "watch horrible things happen to Lara Croft over and over again."

I doubt they're going for Dark Souls level difficulty so if not appropriate to show off the gameplay, it's comes off like they're making game exclusively for those Youtube communities that have hours of videos of Ada Wong being decapitated from every angle or whatever.

The game SEEMS like it's basically more violent Uncharted, and that would be awesome, but if the fast traveling via hubs and the physics puzzles are so awesome I'd sure wish they'd show us some more of them. I'm really interested in the game myself but I can see how the way they've marketed and released media for it has put some people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

To that game's credit, I recently saw a demo run of that one hotel they keep showing where instead of what's already been shown, the player knocks one enemy out, then sneaks through an entirely different route to avoid combat entirely. It would be great if that's possible for the entire game even if I doubt it will be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I also think its amplified because these are everyday yokels like you and me and really people with formal training at this stuff.

Even for people specially trained to parkour through ice caves in the Himalayas in a fur lined blazer and jeans for two hours straight or to fall flat on their face like 10 times from an impressive height and walk away with only a slight stomach ache though, the amount of killing can seem pretty excessive.

The campaigns for stuff like Call of Duty or say Battlefield are already incredibly short. Is this the answer? Just not have as much action? I feel like Uncharted and even this new Tomb Raider, despite the Commando-caliber body count, are sort of going in the right direction with the large amount of unique animations and such. Is there a game out there where the enemies have regenerating health on par with the player? For something like say Uncharted 2 or this game, imagine if there were maybe thirty people total that were after you but it was very difficult to actually permanently kill them. Each enemy in that game is named in the multiplayer selection, having a finite group of bad guys that are all actually unique from each other would be pretty cool. Also it's not like this approach would feel more repetitive than fighting a thousand generic dudes and the one big guy at the end of each encounter like how most games do it. It would even give the developers more dramatic Hollywood moments to put in the game as each hardened mercenary is defeated for good.

Uncharted 2 (I keep mentioning this as the baseline because I feel like it really started this tone/gameplay imbalance discussion, moreso than GTA4), is on the right track because of all the unique melee animations and takedowns, I feel like that's the direction things should be going in. Having less enemies overall but having each encounter be unique. I'm actually surprised it hasn't gone this way to begin with given how much the big budget games try to imitate the setpieces of Hollywood action movies.

This approach would actually be amazing for a Tomb Raider game honestly. The semi-open approach they've taken for this one would complement it very well, hang out in an area too long and oh no ____ is on to you, maybe you can defeat him/her right there or you're not strong enough and have to move on, whatever, I just feel like there's lots of ways to have violent killing in games without it having to require you shooting ten billion guys from behind cover. Something that plays more like First Blood or the revenge scene in Rambo II rather than how every game is basically Rambo III.

Shenmue II was cool with this. Each of the fights felt unique because the AI for every fightable character was taken straight from a different character from Virtua Fighter 2 and/or 3. It wasn't super hard, but it still feels fun despite the lack of killing thousands of people because you're constantly switching out your moves and figuring out what works and what doesn't on each enemy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they make another one of these they NEED to allow for some stealth now and then. There's part while making you're way to the radio tower where two guys are talking about getting some supplies out of the building, then they decide to leave. They walk out and then you kill them. While they're talking, though, you can go across the hallway (they're at the far end) and go across into another room where there's some hidden stuff. I tested this out by reloading a couple of times and, if you hide in that room, the enemies walk into that room instead of leaving so that you have to kill them anyway. Granted they are standing around a red barrel the game wants you to shoot instead so I guess there's that option. Barf. Also LOL because there's a collectable you can ONLY get with fire that gets covered in flame if you blow that barrel up, but that's not the right kind of fire for this piece of paper I guess?

I still like the game a lot but there are several little moments like that that frustrate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Konami's made a long running series of games where you do exactly this stuff called Survival Kids. The first one in the US on the GBC and is pretty cool. Several of the DS (and I think the Wii installment) were released in the US as well under that Lost in Blue title someone posted earlier. The DS ones are honestly pretty poor games though, I'd stick with Miasmata or even Neo Scavenger. I never played the Wii installment though.

DrNutt posted:

Yes? What is your point exactly?

Only a child would use the words "tits" or "gore" in any context. GAME OVER. :smug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The PC ports are cool. Personally I only really got into Anniversary but all three are good in their own way. I remember Underworld worked fine with a 360 gamepad but don't know about the others.

DrNutt posted:

And they too were awful stereotypes. I hope they do keep them around as her backup so they can make them actual characters, but my guess is everyone else will be too traumatized from the experience and Lara will have new sidekicks, if any.

Weren't each of these guys her backup at varying points throughout the series? I could have sworn some of them were around in Tomb Raider II or maybe even Angel of Darkness or a newer one.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 19, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

^I don't think any of the guys in the new game were ever in the old school titles, but I've only played 1 and 2, and the other CD titles.^

Yeah I double checked. There are rough analogs of them in minor roles but not the same folks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Oh, I thought it was some magic hocus pocus stuff.

I really wish there was a way to patch the old games to change the controls to modern mechanics instead of tank controls. How was that ever thought to be a good idea?

Just do me a favor and never play III, Last Revelation, Chronicles or Angel of Darkness.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Whats wrong with the Last Revelation?

It has slightly better graphics than 1-3 but most of the game's levels are just really bland. This was the first one with more "advanced" rope swinging and jumping from beam/column to beam type stuff so a lot of the areas are basically a big gigantic square room with lots of beams to jump across. It's not HORRIBLE but it really doesn't play well because the game is less about exploring and more about struggling with the camera/controls to jump off a beam instead of falling straight down. Even worse, if you get it on DC or PSX it's like, not even playable because of the worse framerate/controls (despite Soul Reaver 1 being definitive on Dreamcast, all other Eidos Dreamcast games are barely optimized PSX ports, with all that entails). Chronicles was the first game that straight up killed the franchise. Then Angel of Darkness killed it again for a bit before we got the Crystal Dynamics games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrunkPanda posted:

This is the first Tomb Raider game I've ever played and I loved it so much I immediately bought the Tomb Raider trilogy, as soon as I completed this game. But I'm about an hour into Tomb Raider anniversary and so far I'm pretty disappointed. I heard they majorly overhauled the graphics and I was expecting the game to look like a ps3 game. But it really looks like a PS2 game. So far it's pretty dull, does it get better?

Underworld looks a little better. Anniversary was in development for PS2/Gamecube first and began life as a PSP title so it is a bit underwhelming visually.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

pentyne posted:

Isn't the Definitive Edition just the console version with the PC TressFX option?

I'd say play on easy, because most of the fun of the game is exploring the areas, taking in the sights, and searching for collectibles. Combat its meh-okay and feels out of place at a lot of points.

Actually on PS4 it has most of the PC improvements, a new face render, and a better framerate but does NOT have TressFX.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

There are Solarii everywhere and they're still coming after Lara and her friends! Oh, and Sam is kidnapped for some nefarious purpose, again.

:( Is the person writing the game itself the same person who wrote the previous one at least?

Those tie-in comics rarely matter though, usually they're written very quickly and based on discarded drafts of possible premises for the game from whenever they started making them. It's rare to have instances like Soul Reaver where the comic was literally cutscenes/characters from the game they couldn't finish for the game in time.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 11, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

She straight up disowned Thief due to how hosed up the end result was.

I have to imagine being a writer for video games being a hard and frustrating experience when your work is chopped up and destroyed due to technical and budgetary reasons. I mean, that happens in TV and film as well but it seems even worse for games.

The most egregious example is Eric Nylund disowned and distanced himself from Gears of War also. I mean he created the setting and story for Gears of War 1. Look at the end result in the Gears 1/2 games I can't say I blame him.

It's cool that Rhianna Pratchett is back though, my hopes are high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

And this is a personal thing but I've always thought the magical elements of the Tomb Raider games were kinda dumb but they've been in there since literally the first game so eh.

I wouldn't mind if every TR game handled it the way the new one did where the stuff is like, there but you don't really interact with it at all directly til towards the very end.

• Locked thread