Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrNutt posted:

It's almost like... There's a difference between cartoonish over the top violence, and realistic depictions of a human looking character dying in horrific ways!

That's a ridiculous argument, though. Its like saying the Saw movies are less violent on VHS than blu-ray because they're in a lower resolution. We all know that isn't the case. The violence and brutality of an act isn't diminished by picture quality. The same applies to video games. Regardless of how many polygons Lara has, you're still seeing a virtual representation of a human being brutally killed/murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bloodysabbath posted:

In the world of third person shooters, there is room for Indiana Jones (Uncharted), and there is room for I Spit on Your Grave (Tomb Raider - though I don't think there is anything close to the atrocity in that film, or Kotaku would have already written a 30 page thesis about it),

That's a good point. The previews show death traps and Lara bouncing back from injuries, which is more a staple of the Indiana Jones/Adventure movie genre than the body horror genre. Indiana Jones had people being impaled on spikes, immolated in steel cages, cut in half, crushed by a giant boulders and literally melted. Nothing we've seen from the previews so far is beyond those scenarios in terms of violence/brutality. The only difference is that Lara is a girl and we're not accustomed to seeing ladies take a beating when it doesn't have a rape/sexual assault context.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Please kill me. Please."

BLAM BLAM

"Go to hell."

Lara's a bit of a jerk.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SurrealityCheck posted:

Interestingly, both writers were female.

Fascinating. Do you think writing this game influenced their decision to become male?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

socialsecurity posted:

There plenty of indie games out there trying something new. Expecting not-safe innovation from 50+ million investment AAA games is a bit naive.

I don't mind safe innovations. The sections where Lara got to sneak around and pick off baddies were my favorite sections of the game. Its just a shame they were so few of them relative to tedious Gears of War sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"I think you're closing yourself off at home," he observantly said to the woman with a hood pulled over her head indoors.

• Locked thread