Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

It turns out Nixxes is doing the PC port for Tomb Raider, they did the ports of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Hitman: Absolution recently which were both pretty great ports.

code:
 Minimum system requirements for PC

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista,7,8 (32bit/64bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics card with 512Mb Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 2600 XT, nVidia 8600
    Dual core CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 2.1 Ghz (4050+), Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (E6300)
    1GB Memory (2GB on Vista)

Recommended system requirements for PC

Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
    DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM: AMD Radeon HD 4870, nVidia GTX 480
    Quad core CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 565, Intel Core i5-750
    4GB Memory
I got a good deal pre-ordering this a while ago and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Square have been teasing a new DirectX 11 feature for this game and it ended up being some new hair tech from AMD called tressfx:

It's a shame this is coming out after Triple H cut his hair. :(

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Whoa poo poo. I've always noticed that hair sometimes looks kinda static in even the prettiest game if you just stop to to take a look but this is really cool.

edit: poo poo I need a new graphics card don't I?

If you have a DirectX 11 card you should be able to use it, I'll certainly be turning down other settings to get nice looking hair.

DrNutt posted:

An AMD technology? Does this mean I won't get that cool hair stuff with my Nvidia card?

It should work on nvidia cards, a mod over at the eidos forums apparently said it runs well on his 680. It probably won't be as well implemented on non-AMD cards though.

cheetah7071 posted:

I sure hope they clarify what kind of graphics card you need to get that to happen with enough time left to order said graphics card before the game comes out.

The website says 7000 series cards are well suited to it.

e: the PC Devs did a Q&A on the forums so here are some choice quotes

quote:

- We are still working out when exactly we will allow pre-loads, but we expect it will be before the weekend.
- We know key-mapping is critically important for PC gamers so we definitely tried to ensure that everything can be mapped!
- We are offering very high resolution textures on the PC build, much higher than anything we have ever done on PC before. For most textures we have 16 times the data compared to consoles.
- The UI switches automatically between gamepad and keyboard/mouse depending on what you use.
- So for Tomb Raider we added an option to enable or disable the smoothing. [...] we do not do mouse-acceleration at all.

TheCoon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 26, 2013

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

If you pre-ordered from Greenmangaming they just started sending out codes. Pre-load on Steam is 8.8gb.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Have there been any PC specific reviews? Was wondering whether I should go console or PC on this one, because it is fairly cheap ($45) on Steam.

Square didn't send out PC code for review.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Dominic White posted:

No sign of a key here yet, sadly. I preordered late last year, back when they had a crazy combination of discounts that knocked it down to £17. Even if I don't get the Steam bonus perks, it'll still probably be worth it at that price.

Try checking your keys page on the site? My key turned up there before they emailed me about it. I pre-ordered December 2nd so they may just be sending keys depending on when you bought the game.

The Flying Milton posted:

Is there a coupon for Green Man Gaming that will bring the price down?

Also, if I buy my key there, will it give me the unlocked incentives?

I don't know if there's a coupon floating around but if you buy it from gmg you get whatever they mention on their page, which is early access to some gun upgrade and whatever "Animal Instinct" turns out to be.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

quote:

Lara Croft’s traumatic gap-year adventure has been well received by our counterparts on console, and we were hoping to be able to start providing you with our impressions of the PC version today. Unfortunately, we’ve been told by Square Enix that code for the PC version won’t be issued until Tuesday, when the game goes on sale – so expect our verdict to fall in the latter half of next week.

Crystal Dynamics are reportedly unwilling to let the game out into the wild until it’s ready. Perhaps they’re worried about Lara’s PC-exclusive hair going haywire – we don’t know. Delays like this don’t always indicate a problem with the product, but they do prevent us from telling you one way or another before you lay down your hard-earned cash.

Why we (still) haven’t reviewed Tomb Raider - PC Gamer

They were supposed to get the PC version on the 25th; would be interesting to know why it's not going out until the release date.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

There's also an embargo on showing video footage until after the game's released. I don't think anyone of it is indicative of a lack of faith in the product, given that they allowed reviews out both early and relatively close to the launch date, but it is a bit strange. Maybe just someone at Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics trying something new or safer than usual? Didn't Deus Ex basically get a third of it leaked early and the developers and Square Enix just said 'yeah, have fun'?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, for the video footage thing, they probably just don't want random video footage undoing the good will the reviews/their revised marketing strategy with the talking head trailers have done for the game after their earlier, supremely lovely marketing campaign.

They seem pretty happy with the game overall, which is why they're letting reviews out so early for the console versions. The PC review copies getting pushed back almost 2 weeks is a little concerning as it means they're probably still working on it. I have every faith in Nixxes though, their recent record on PC ports has been fantastic.

You're right that the video embargo is probably to do with them controlling the games PR until the last minute.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

If anyone is still waiting for a deal on the PC version, Nuuvem are selling Tomb Raider for R$50, which google says is ~£17/$25.

I didn't buy it from them but people on the Steam forums are saying it activates outside of Brazil.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Got home from work early and unlocked this early. :getin:

Shame to see it suffers, like a lot of other console ports on pc, from being way to easy to just run around headshotting everyone with the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Attention Horse posted:

Do you know any good, reliable and easy to use Australian VPNs? My game is finishing preloading right now, and I'm really hyped so there's no way I'm waiting for the official release.

I've used flyvpn's free trial to unlock games in the past. I used the free trial at inCloak to unlock Tomb Raider this morning.

• Locked thread