Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dominic White posted:

2: Rhianna Pratchett is the lead writer on this, is VERY proud of her work and seems annoyed at how the marketing has

There's a possibility that this wasn't entirely her fault, but she also wrote Mirror's Edge, which had a laughably awful storyline.

I do think this game will be at least alright, but maybe that isn't the part I'm hopeful about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't know about the original first game, but the remake had Lara make a big deal about how she's never killed a human before and there's a big buildup to her finally deciding she can do it. So, retcons I guess?

I don't think the new game is even meant to be part of the same continuity.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Did you not see the review score at the end there? Thats right. :colbert:

Yeah, that's probably my favourite part of these videos. His review scores are just as meaningful as actual review scores!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know what I already like about this game? A loving worldwide release on a tuesday. Turns out it's extremely convenient for the consumer that you don't arbitrarily restrict a digital download for half the globe!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mazed posted:

I dunno about you guys, but when the inevitable Final Fantasy 7 remake comes along, I can't wait to see Sephiroth graphically disembowel Aeris, leaving her twitching and gurgling on the floor as Cloud, covered in her spilled blood and entrails, thousand-yard stares at the gory spectacle. I mean, that's pretty much what happened, right, but they just couldn't show it because of 1997 technology? Right?

This, but unironically :getin:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think Tomb Raiders main selling point of setting was ever really "tombs". None of it has really been all about raiding tombs. It had a female protagonist on adventures a lot like Indiana Jones. That's why I play the games. The actual tombs are really nothing to me than brand recognition.

If this is the thing you love about Tomb Raider, you might as well just watch the new hit TV-show "Relic Hunter" starring Tia Carrere!

Lara might have been good for marketing, but the first Tomb Raider succeded because of clever platforming, excellent, complex level design and a great sense of isolation. The series would have sucked from the getgo if there were no tombs and every time Lara visits modern locations and deals with other humans, it is usually the worst part of every Tomb Raider game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

Does this game have co-op? I read something about it a few weeks back but on further inspection today it seems to just have some weird tacked on multiplayer made by a different studio.

No, it doesn't. Just the multiplayer, which I'm sure is practically dead a week after release.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Also TresFX seems to be disabled in that screenshot.

TressFX doesn't look good at all, though. I mean it looks fine in still images, but in actual motion it's like Lara's got a bunch of spaghetti hanging from her head.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I seem to recall her speaking very negatively about her experience with writing the first game (i.e. they apparently changed/ditched a lot of the characterization), so I doubt she'll return for 2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

She straight up disowned Thief due to how hosed up the end result was.

Oh, you're right, I was totally thinking of Thief. Well, she might return, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I wouldn't mind if every TR game handled it the way the new one did where the stuff is like, there but you don't really interact with it at all directly til towards the very end.

Yeah, but I always thought Tomb Raider handled it pretty well. The first game was actually pretty lovecraftian in its own right, very slowly going from bears and bats to crocodiles and gorillas to like harpies and anubis guys to demons and ending with a giant fleshless torso monster.

• Locked thread