Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

I didn't find another thread about this, my apologies in advance if there is/was one.

So I haul my lazy carcass out of bed, get into the car, and head to the gas station. Busier than gently caress, but I'm not usually up at the butt crack of dawn. Whatever.

I get on the freeway and spend my 90 minutes commuting to work. No live radio so I have no clue what's going on.

Get into work, and I then hear that people are killed within a block of a friends house, near a computer store I used to frequent, about 1/2 a mile from my in-laws house, and the shooter pops himself less than two blocks from my parents house at Katella/Wanda.

I'm usually as crusty and jaded as they come when it comes to crime sprees, but I guess it really is different when personally relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusseldorf
Mar 29, 2005

Is there an article or something written up on these?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Up to 4 dead since I checked last...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...tin-villa-park/

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

Shabbat shalom motherfucker!

CrushedWill posted:

I didn't find another thread about this, my apologies in advance if there is/was one.

So I haul my lazy carcass out of bed, get into the car, and head to the gas station. Busier than gently caress, but I'm not usually up at the butt crack of dawn. Whatever.

I get on the freeway and spend my 90 minutes commuting to work. No live radio so I have no clue what's going on.

Get into work, and I then hear that people are killed within a block of a friends house, near a computer store I used to frequent, about 1/2 a mile from my in-laws house, and the shooter pops himself less than two blocks from my parents house at Katella/Wanda.

I'm usually as crusty and jaded as they come when it comes to crime sprees, but I guess it really is different when personally relatable.

Holy, poo poo!

I use to live off Wanda.

Sup Villa Park goon!

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Holy, poo poo!

I use to live off Wanda.

Sup Villa Park goon!

Got off the phone with my bro who still lives in VP, he saw the body of the shooter (with tarp) on the way to work. Surreal...

Mundane Shell
Apr 5, 2011

give him my av if you do. tia

The calls are coming from INSIDE the Gas Chamber.

Is this some sort of ARG or performance art or what?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

have you got any milk chocolate people? about three inches high?

Mundane Shell posted:

No there was actually a spree killing. People are still trying to figure out what's going on. What's wrong with you.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

quote:

TUSTIN (CBSLA.com) — Three people were killed and two others injured on Tuesday after a reported road rage incident that began in Tustin ended with a suspected gunman apparently killing himself.

KNX 1070′s Ron Kilgore reports police are investigating multiple crime scenes, spanning across the cities of Orange, Tustin and Villa Park.

Orange County Sheriff’s deputies said a female victim was killed at a home in Ladera Ranch at 4:45 a.m., but it remained unclear what her relationship was to the suspect or what any possible motive might be.

Sources told CBS2′s Michelle Gile the initial crime occurred at the suspect’s home.

Police said the suspect then drove to Tustin around 5:30 a.m. and carjacked a man at a gas station near the Santa Ana (5) Freeway at Redhill Avenue and Nisson Road, according to Lt. Paul Garaven of the Tustin Police Department.

During this carjacking, a bystander was wounded after being struck by gunfire from the suspect, who was reported to be armed with two long guns, Garaven said.

“It was like, ‘Pow!’, two seconds go by, and then two-second intervals between each gunshot, and then you hear the car take off,” said witness Charlie Lopez.

Police then received a call of a second shooting victim of a carjacking who was killed by the suspect at the McFadden offramp near the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway and Village Way.

The suspect confronted the victim driving a BMW, ordered him out of the vehicle, and then walked him to the side of the curb, where he executed the victim, according to Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Police said the suspect then drove the BMW across the 55 Freeway to the Micro Center computer store at Edinger and Newport, where he is accused of shooting two people, killing one of them and carjacking the other.

Gile reports a source said the injured victim follwed the suspect from Tustin as he made his getaway and used a cell phone to relay the suspect’s location to law enforcement.

One victim was pronounced dead at the scene and the second has been transported to the hospital and is in critical condition.

Officers located the suspect in the stolen vehicle and followed him to east Katella Avenue and north Wanda Road in the city of Orange. When a stop was initiated, the suspect shot and killed himself, said Garaven.

The identify of the suspect was not released, but a source told Gile the suspect was 19 years old.

The article linked above not included in the OP for the lazy. Multiple car jackings and executions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

...the engine tracks thousands of details for each unit meaning it will be a far deeper game than your grandpa's chess.
Pre-order CHESS now and receive the DLC "queen" unit.

The dude is just trying to get to his ex's to see his daughter...

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Mundane Shell posted:

It is an ARG. You think you're in California but the car-jacker pretends you're in Colombia.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Jesus Christ, this is such a senseless murder spree. loving why?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

I have no frame of reference for what could make you so angry that you would take it out on total strangers like that.

Fake edit: In before a bunch of tired Falling Down references.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Did I say a lot?
I meant TONS of damage!

I'm assuming this started with some emotional crisis at the home and he just lost it.

I used to go to Nisson Road and Redhill to get to the 24-hour Jack In The Box .

Otik
Apr 5, 2005

Psycho log baby

Countdown to GTA being blamed in 3. 2. 1...

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Crunk Abortion posted:

I have no frame of reference for what could make you so angry that you would take it out on total strangers like that.

Fake edit: In before a bunch of tired Falling Down references.

God drat it. I was looking forward to several pages of Falling Down jokes that only goons over 30 would understand, and here you had to go shame them before it even had a chance to happen.

This opportunity doesn't come very often, you jerk. It's only like once every two, maybe three days that we have a killer running amok through LA.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I'm so lean I can't even blink.

So are these mass shooting/crime sprees really becoming more frequent, or am I just noticing them more? There were 12+ mass shootings in 2012, and now Dorner and this guy.

Noni posted:

God drat it. I was looking forward to several pages of Falling Down jokes that only goons over 30 would understand, and here you had to go shame them before it even had a chance to happened.
This was USED!

Pope Mobile
Nov 12, 2006

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Carjacking is what happens when attraction to cars turns sexual. Turst me; I know.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000
Because your old avatar was way too big and sucked pretty hard
:I

Noni posted:

God drat it. I was looking forward to several pages of Falling Down jokes that only goons over 30 would understand, and here you had to go shame them before it even had a chance to happen.

This opportunity doesn't come very often, you jerk. It's only like once every two, maybe three days that we have a killer running amok through LA.

I was going to argue with you, then I remembered that I turned 30 last November. I feel old for the first time in my life.

mr.capps
Feb 16, 2013

Hero.

Mundane Shell posted:

Because if ARGs are well known for anything its stimulating shooting sprees. I just can't wait for the bullets to turn out to be USB drives filled with cryptograms.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

quote:

The suspect confronted the victim driving a BMW, ordered him out of the vehicle, and then walked him to the side of the curb, where he executed the victim, according to Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.

Ugh this is just awful.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

SpaceMost posted:

So are these mass shooting/crime sprees really becoming more frequent, or am I just noticing them more?
It's a combination of a few things. First, there have been a few major ones lately. Second, because a handful happened in a short period, they've become The Thing To Report and ones like this that would have been filler on the 5:00 news a few years ago are now national headlines. Third, the intense media coverage is fueling the fire, i.e. Dorner did what he did because he knew he'd be a national sensation, and the Sandy Hook shooter apparently wanted to outdo Breivik.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

More info's out, about who he shot and when. Stopping one of the carjacked cars to shoot at random people from the offramp...this dude had one serious break from reality.

Dr. Tim Whatley
Jun 25, 2012

DON'T PAY MORE

BAGELSPORT

Very cool, Love This.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009

Please remind me to get a job so I can stop spending all day posting in D&D about how I'm an unemployable failure

OneEightHundred posted:

It's a combination of a few things. First, there have been a few major ones lately. Second, because a handful happened in a short period, they've become The Thing To Report and ones like this that would have been filler on the 5:00 news a few years ago are now national headlines. Third, the intense media coverage is fueling the fire, i.e. Dorner did what he did because he knew he'd be a national sensation, and the Sandy Hook shooter apparently wanted to outdo Breivik.

So random carjacking murders wouldn't make the news a few years ago? And the media is somehow overreporting the Sandy Hook shooting? I call BS.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Radbot posted:

So random carjacking murders wouldn't make the news a few years ago?
Not nationally, no.

mr.capps
Feb 16, 2013

Hero.

There isn't going to be a simple answer to why anyone does these types of things, and why it seems to be on the rise. Someone isn't going to connect the dots here and say, "Oh look Falling Down came out on Criterion Collection last week."

Yautja Philosophy
Jan 16, 2009

An action is right if and only if the immediate consequence of said action results in someone getting their fucking spine removed.

Oh hey look, people murdered a block from my workplace!

Everyone was losing their minds this morning coming into work, the 55 off McFadden was closed, Red Hill was closed, what a clusterfuck. How hosed up, I hope there weren't any kids who saw a man get straight up executed on the side of a road. I mean, not that it would be much better for adults to see it.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Holy, poo poo!

I use to live off Wanda.

Sup Villa Park goon!
You say you used to live there. What happened, did you die in a carjacking?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Listening to the news while driving, the shooter was id'ed as a part time junior college student. Too much Dave Chappelle/Wayne Brady apparently.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

Too much Dave Chappelle/Wayne Brady apparently.

If that were the case, this would have been at least partially a choke-a-bitch spree.

Priapus
Feb 17, 2007
I AM LITERALLY AND I MEAN LITERALLY A STUPID NAIVE SHELTERED IGNORANT DENSE AS FUCK WASTE OF SPACE. PLEASE IGNORE ANYTHING I SAY AS THEY ARE THE RAMBLINGS OF A DELUSIONAL FUCKWAD PS MY DICK IS VERY SMALL AND I PROBABLY HAVE NEVER USED IT im so very retarded

Woke up and heard a burglar in the house, this is the result. It's understandable to have this reaction given how much crime is out there.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Radbot posted:

A few years ago, some tag-team of two cars was boxing in random drivers on the freeway and shooting them near where I live. As far as I'm aware, it didn't make the national news.

quote:

And the media is somehow overreporting the Sandy Hook shooting? I call BS.
It was a freak incident that primarily affected the local community, and should have been treated as such. Even if you think the level of reporting is fine, it's still helping perpetuate the problem. Seung-Hui Cho, Christopher Dorner, and Anders Breivik all sent poo poo to the media before they went on a spree, so they obviously wanted the media exposure, and Lanza wanted to beat Breivik, so that's what? 3 of the last 5 major reported shootings looking for media attention and 1 at least inspired by it?

Flippycunt
Apr 27, 2006

History has shown us that the love of power will always exceed the power of love. Plan accordingly.

Apparently this went down three blocks from my work and we were all totally oblivious.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Has anyone confirmed Oscar's alabi?

spengler
Aug 25, 2004

a red scare
on a pale mare

Radbot posted:

Random carjacking murders still don't make the news, mostly. There are 50,000 car jackings and 12,000 deaths by firearm every day in the US, but only a thousand 8-hour news cycles. Subtract days for national holidays, elections, the super bowl, the world series, etc, and you're probably left with 500. You've got to pick the top murders and carjackings only.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

spengler posted:

Random carjacking murders still don't make the news, mostly. There are 50,000 car jackings and 12,000 deaths by firearm every day in the US, but only a thousand 8-hour news cycles. Subtract days for national holidays, elections, the super bowl, the world series, etc, and you're probably left with 500. You've got to pick the top murders and carjackings only.

I'm pretty sure you mean per year.

12,000 deaths by firearm a day would be.... kinda high

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I live in Ladera Ranch. I think people are shaken up because this sort of thing is really rare here. LR is basically just a housing offshoot of Mission Viejo, which apparently is one of the safest places in the nation. It was pretty weird driving to work this morning while NPR started telling me that I was leaving a crime scene. Didn't run into any traffic!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
VAGINA AVOIDER; LEADER OF THE BIBLE STUDY GROUP; WETTEST BLANKET

I heard the guy in the BMW had a CCW too.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

jawohl mein fuhrer

spengler posted:

I know you meant every year, but I still wouldn't be surprised if 4 million people were shot and killed in the US annually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Apparently this guy was from the adamantly racist /new/ board on 4chon.net.
This is what the thread on /new/ had to say:

quote:

Timeline:

1. /new/ user makes the following claims between 12:20AM and 12:50AM Pacific time:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/newsmen/shooting_spree.html

2. AP:Authorities: Shooting spree through Orange County, Calif., leaves 4 dead, including shooter

3. Spree coincides with IP geolocations of the users.

4. LA times reports the first shots were heard between 2AM and 3AM Pacific time (note that OP in 404'd thread stopped posting at 12:50AM Pacific).

These posts seemed to be from the same place as where the shooter came from. The poster said he was about to "go full Breivik" and that the last thing he had to do was decide whether to serve life in prison or shoot himself. He said he was planning this for months and was set on doing it alone.

«2 »