Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So Thought Hammer is going out of business. Literally everything listed is on clearance, as the retailer will be closing its doors at the end of June. The time is right for some deals, and those who dig deep will be rewarded. They have Chessex polyhedral sets going for wicked cheap. Shipping is a bit pricey ($9-11), but I've had good experiences with the company so far. These items are going fast, so order now if you see something you want. Everything I've found has been cheaper than any other retailer.

Also coming up this Saturday (06/15) is the fabled Free RPG Day. You should check to see if any stores near you are participating. Many gaming companies are contributing a product for this, so head on down to your FLGS and say hi.

Free RPG Day Swag
  • Swords & Wizardry adventure, "Hall of Bones"
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure(?), "Better Than Any Man"
  • Pathfinder adventure, "We Be Goblins Too"
  • Cosmic Patrol Quickstart
  • Battletech/Shadowrun quickstart flipbook
  • Star Wars: Edge of the Empire adventure, "Shadows of a Black Sun"
  • Q Workshop Steampunk d6s
  • Chessex Free RPG Day dice
  • Dugeon Crawl Classics adventure
  • Vampire: the Requiem adventure & quickstart
  • Tunnels and Trolls adventure, "Fire Dwarves of Zorr"
  • Pathfinder adventure, "Temple of the Forbidden God"
  • Castles & Crusades adventure, "A Pot of Broken Bones and Halfling Broth"
  • Blue Panther dice tower
  • Savage Worlds adventure, "Tunse'al Quick Starts and Side Tracks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Green Ronin is releasing a digital Free RPG Day pack. The Mutants & Mastermind 3rd edition Hero's Guide (the PHB), ten pregens, and the first chapter of the Emerald City sourcebook. This is pretty much all you need to start playing M&M, which is a really good supers RPG that hits a nice middle point between Champions and Icons in terms of complexity.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks for that link! M&M is absolutely worth checking out, even if you're burnt out on / don't like D20 systems. The roots are familiar, but it's definitely got its own voice.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh. Gonna snag that for friends, on the off chance I can ever break the death grip D&D has on them.

And now I'm off to my local store to see if they have anything left over. Not expecting much, but I need the exercise and they could use the patronage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Chess 2 (the sequel, apparently), is currently free at the Sirlin Games Store.

David Sirlin owns so much

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also on the superheros front, Steve Kenson is giving away his Fate-derived superhero RPG ICONS for free today. (Link puts it right in your cart)

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also on the superheros front, Steve Kenson is giving away his Fate-derived superhero RPG ICONS for free today. (Link puts it right in your cart)

Link doesn't seem to work, also when I searched for ICONS manually, it shows as $10 dollars. Maybe it was an error that was corrected?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Krabkolash posted:

Link doesn't seem to work, also when I searched for ICONS manually, it shows as $10 dollars. Maybe it was an error that was corrected?

That's odd, it works for me: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/shopping_cart.php?products_id=81475%7B1%7D1&discounts_id=89172

Here's the link to Steve original post, try it from there: https://plus.google.com/101439145388246911419/posts/cbi3WDGMt7G

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

It worked from his G+ post. That's odd.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's because the link on his G+ is this: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?discount=89172

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Weird...

Anyway, I do recommend ICONS if you want a rules-light-ish supers RPG. You don't build powers, they're all pre-built for you. If you like the game, I'd say it's worth getting Great Power, which has a ton more powers and some Fate Core conversion rules.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, you get redirected to another link after a second, and copying that link from your browser doesn't work.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion was just released for free in a 0.9 version. Reading between the lines, it looks like Chaosium has been a bit slow about some of the paperwork so the editor decided to let the almost complete version into the world. 550 pages or so. This is pretty amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Loved the free Vampire guide from Free RPG day. The Castles and Crusaders module is pure trash; DM text isn't delinated in any way, and the adventure feels like something from a 5 cent bin at a fantasy bookstore. Oh no, hobbits! Oh no, trolls! Blaaaaaahhhhhh.

"Greater than Any Man" is interesting, but I made a big mistake when reading it. I thought "The Seven" prominently featured were the PCs; they're not.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's been a little while since the last update, so here's some discounted crap for you to pick through...

DTrpg has a sale on ALL their Pathfinder stuff, including spell books, adventure paths, what have you. There are literally hundreds of items here, all discounted and sold to you, the consumer, for a mere couple of bucks. Publishers include: Green Ronin, Rite Publishing, Mongoose, Open Design, Dreamscarred Press, and many others. Check it out if you're into Pathfinder, you might find some winners in the pile.

Hope all is well in RPG Land!

e: Guess Paizo isn't in on this one... huh...

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 26, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey everybody, hope your 4th of July was great (regardless of whether or not you're in the US)

Got some outdated deals for everybody..

D&D Basic Rules Cyclopedia - All that classic goodness in one book, finally released as a PDF. You've heard of it, and now you can buy it for yourself.
Monster Island - A RuneQuest supplement that details the ecology, history & mystery of the fabled Monster Island. Fifteen bucks for this tropical paradise teeming with horrors.
John Wick's Wicked Fantasy - A Pathfinder/d20 book that rewrites the classic fantasy take on races. There are 10 races in this book, offering new imaginings of tired tropes.

There's also a 4th of July Sale at CSI, though it only offers a few Pathfinder books. Be aware this sale only runs till midnight!

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 8, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is up. Pay what you want for DRM-free copies of:

"How We Came To Live Here" by Brennan Taylor
"WITCH: The Road To Lindisfarne" by Kevin Barthaud & Richard Lacy
"Psi*Run" by Meguey Baker

Beat the average (currently about $11.50) to get:
"Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple" by +Daniel Solis
"Monster of the Week" by Michael Sands

I recommend getting Do (which is a sort of Avatar-ish setting about flying monks helping people and getting into trouble) and Monster of the Week (which is basically "Supernatural: The RPG" based on Apocalypse World). I think I shared the MotW playbooks in the Apoc World thread, too.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 10, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

Monster of the Wee
The Whizzard returns!

\/Too late!\/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 10, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gah, dammit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How We Came to Live Here sounds super interesting. Anyone had a chance to play it?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Ooh. Exciting. I'm also either lucky or unlucky in that I already own both Beat the Average titles through separate prior purchase and none of the basic tier titles, so I can pledge whatever I feel and get shiny new games.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So there's some halfway decent stuff on Miniature Market's Clearance Page with all kinds of Magic: the Gathering decks, card protectors, deck boxes, and miscellaneous what-have-you. You can get the reprint 1st ed. AD&D core books for $54. They've got D&D 3.5 stuff, 4e stuff, map packs, all that craziness. They've also got the base set of Game of Thrones LCG going for $15! That's less than a deck of Magic cards in some places. They've also got assorted HeroClix stuff, Killer Bunnies stuff, deckbuilding games, and, of course, minis. Worth thumbing through if you've got some cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Crossposting this from the SA-Mart thread:

So, for board game nerds like me, I've found 2 pretty cool ways to stock you and your friends on Ticket to Ride today on Amazon.

Method 1:
Purchase Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 DLC: http://amzn.com/B00B5JJ0CY
Apply "gooncave" coupon code.
Receive email codes to download Ticket to Ride base game, Drip Drop, and The Maw.
After redeeming those, redeem The Maw again, as it has a $10 credit and the game is $5.

Total items received:
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 DLC
Drip Drop
2x The Maw

Total cost:
$1.71 (+ tax where applicable)

Method 2:
Purchase Indie Combat Pack (and Ticket to Ride: http://amzn.com/B00D4A6WWY
Apply "gooncave" coupon code.
Receive email codes to download Ticket to Ride base game, Drip Drop, and The Maw.
After redeeming those, redeem The Maw again, as it has a $10 credit and the game is $5.

Total items received:
2x Ticket to Ride
Guns of Icarus Online
SpaceChem
Drip Drop
2x The Maw
Depth Hunter
Derrick the Deathfin
Dungeon Hearts
Garshasp: Temple of the Dragon
Mutant Mudds
Tower Wars
Toy Soldiers

Total cost:
$8.50 (+ tax where applicable)

Method 1 is a pretty darn good deal if you just want copies of Ticket to Ride. Method 2 is a home run if you want Spacechem or Guns of Icarus, usually $10 or $20 individually.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That's awesome! Thanks for posting it here, I've been waiting for a way to get into Ticket to Ride without buying another board game that probably wont get opened til the holidays.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Starting Monday, Pinnacle Entertainment is going to have a two-week 25% off sale for Savage Worlds stuff to celebrate the game's 10th anniversary.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ArcDream is currently doing a 30% off sale on their print & PDF bundles. There's some great stuff there: REIGN, Wild Talents, Kerberos Club, and Monsters and Other Childish Things are all worth grabbing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey everybody. It is officially Christmas in July for all you digital distribution fans. DriveThru has a bunch of stuff marked 25% off to celebrate this un-holiday. The sale prices only last for another 5 and a half days though, so dig through those piles!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A new Bundle of Holding is up; this time it's all historical games.

quote:

* 250 BC: Agon (One Seven Games, 118 pages, retail value $10) - competitive fast-action roleplaying in ancient Greece. Designed by John Harper, well known among indie RPG fans for Talislanta (Fourth Edition) and for his free adventure module "Lady Blackbird."

* 1800: Beat to Quarters (Omnihedron Games, 166 pages, retail $10) -Neil Gow's stoutly British game of naval adventure and romance in the 18th-Century Age of Sail, in the vein of Horatio Hornblower, Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, Alexander Kent, Dewey Lambdin, and a rising tide of others.

Beat the average to get:

quote:

* 1225: Ars Magica (Atlas Games, 240 pages, reatil $19) - the current (fifth) edition of the classic medieval-fantasy RPG by Jonathan Tweet and Mark Rein-Hagen -- a landmark game widely regarded as the finest magic system in the roleplaying field.

* 1645: Clockwork & Chivalry (Cakebread & Walton, 401 pages, retail $25) - clockpunk and alchemy in an alternate-history version of the English Civil War. This is the standalone 2nd Edition that uses the Renaissance Engine, a percentile system derived from OpenQuest.

* 1776: Colonial Gothic (Rogue Games, 284 pages, retail $10) - the spooky game featuring occult and supernatural horror in the American Revolution.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm kinda amazed that no one's brought up Mazes & Minotaurs, a very good and completely free fantasy rpg that probably has the most supplements of any free rpg on the Internet besides perhaps Basic Fantasy Roleplaying and the mentioned below Talislanta & Marvel FASERIP
http://storygame.free.fr/MAZES.htm

Also worth mentioning is http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/ which has the entirety of the old TSR Marvel FASERIP rpg and as far as I can tell isn't illegal(since said site has been up and public for about a decade at this without getting sued by Marvel or Disney) but if the mods have any problem with me linking to it I'll edit the link out

And last but not least is Talislanta http://talislanta.com/ a long running multi-edition fantasy rpg available in it's entirety which runs off a derivative of the Basic Roleplaying system(aka the system used by Call of Cthulhu & Runequest) and is infamous for it's advertising slogan; "No Elves!"

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 7, 2013

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

Also worth mentioning is ... which has the entirety of the old TSR Marvel FASERIP rpg and as far as I can tell isn't illegal(since said site has been up and public for about a decade at this without getting sued by Marvel or Disney
Holy crap does this bring back memories. My brother, friends, and I played the hell out of MSH back when we were kids. I didn't know all that much about comics, weirdly enough, but I just loved the whole Marvel universe. The system was pretty fun, too. I remember trying to run my fellow kids through Cosmos Cubed... It was kind of a disaster? The other adventures, like with Kang and Doctor Doom, went very well though.

...now I need to find a way to tell my group, "Hey guys, want to play a 1980's Marvel Super Heroes game?"

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Come post about FASERIP in the Marvel Roleplaying thread, there's been some good reminisces there.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Added all those to the list in the OP. Thanks for the heads up! If you've ever played FASERIP, and can describe it better than I have, I'd be happy to add that as well.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Saw this come up a few days ago and hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread.

The Void Core is PWYW (which can be free if you want) in PDF format (but the supplements already released for it are a $5 apiece). This is the new taken on Cthonian Stars, a horror sci-fi setting/game that was released a while back. I don't know if I have it accurately, but I think the system is influenced by or based on Traveler. You can get the POD version at a price also, the link to be found in the product page, or here. This game is Creative Commons, for those who are about that kinda thing, which means you can modify/add on to it subject to the license. Basically, they seem to be following the Eclipse Phase model, at least for this first core release.

There is also a Quick Start available if you want a shorter, more basic document to check out. The PDF for that is free and the POD has a price attached. Finally, The Void Opening Fiction is PWYW also, if you wanna check that out for a sense of the setting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Added all those to the list in the OP. Thanks for the heads up! If you've ever played FASERIP, and can describe it better than I have, I'd be happy to add that as well.
Also, no joke, those Gamers' Handbooks to the Marvel Universe are about the closest thing to a real encyclopedia of Marvel characters ... circa 1990, mind ... that you'll ever find.

...at least from what I've found. I'm out of touch, though, so grain of salt and all that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

Also, no joke, those Gamers' Handbooks to the Marvel Universe are about the closest thing to a real encyclopedia of Marvel characters ... circa 1990, mind ... that you'll ever find.

...at least from what I've found. I'm out of touch, though, so grain of salt and all that.

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe has been published and revised in various editions since 1983. It has the problem of being out of date basically as soon as it's published, of course, but as slices of Marvel comics history, I love the hell out of them.

The newest ones even have a "Power Grid" of stats, though I'd take them with the aforementioned grain of salt.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Amazon's got a board games Gold Box special today. It's got stuff like Eclipse for $50.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DriveThru has an H.P. Lovecraft Sale going on in honor of HPL's birthday. Pretty much all major players are represented (Call of Cthulhu - Chaosium; Achtung! Cthulhu - Modiphius; Trail of Cthulhu - Pelgrane Press) with a bunch of splats on top of the core books. Everything 30% off, and (one would assume) this deal only lasts until the end of the day.

Provided you have any money at all left over from GenCon.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
The HPL sale is on until Sunday it seems. First time I've seen Pagan Publishing put some of the Delta Green PDFs in a sale too, though there seems to be an error on the core book - it's in the sale listings but the PDF option has vanished, DrivethuRPG support are looking in to it. I'm guessing someone accidentally deactivated it when setting the discount price.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I have a lot of Pay What You Want games and supplements on DrivethruRPG. The newest one, Dynasty Council, is a competitive party game/rpg/minis combat hybrid set in the Three Kingdoms era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mikan posted:

I have a lot of Pay What You Want games and supplements on DrivethruRPG. The newest one, Dynasty Council, is a competitive party game/rpg/minis combat hybrid set in the Three Kingdoms era.

I encourage more goon publishers developers and creators to shamelessly advertise their products in this thread. If you can somehow justify a discount or sale on your products, make a post and let people know where to get that sweet sweet game.