Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
They teased Trail of Cthulhu on their Facebook during the GUMSHOE bundle, so I'm expecting it to join Call of Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

JDCorley posted:

Who looks at game art anyway? Pfff. (yeah true)

Have you picked up Legend of the Five rings book? I think 5th edition? The art is amazing

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bundle of Tentacles now up. A bunch of stuff to be used for (but the bundle doesn't contain) Call of Cthulhu and Trails of Cthulhu.

• Cthulhu 101 - By Kenneth Hite, If you didn't know the basics about Cthulhu then this tells you it. Looks rubbish from a quick scan, doesn't even mention the racist undertones of his works. Edit: On closer inspection, it has a nice selection of Mythos-related stories it recommends.
  • Dubious Shards - Also by Kenneth Hite, Edit: a series of articles about particular subjects of the Cthulhu mythos (Like Dagon and his actual history as a real-world god), but includes a 24-page Delta Green scenario and a short article on running CoC games.
  • Cthulhu Britannica: Shadows Over Scotland - For Call of Cthulhu, a sourcebook to have your investigators adventure in Bonny Scotland.
  • Trail of Cthulhu Player's Guide - The player's guide for Trail of Cthulhu. Useful to see if you want to buy the main rulebook, I'd guess.

But if you pay over average (about $15 right now), you also get:

• Cthulhu Britannica: Folklore - Call of Cthulhu supplement for encountering the Fey and other such British folklore creatures in your game.
  • Dark Streets - Take your CoC investigators to 18th Century England! Also includes Renaissance Deluxe a D100-mechanic game, seemingly like CoC, based before or around the 1800s. Includes rules for magic, monsters and sanity to allow you to mix things up.
  • Eldritch Skies - What with all the aliens that show up in Lovecraft's works, someone finally decided to make a Sci-Fi RPG using the Unisystem. Instead of the Mi-Go coming to Earth, you can go to Yuggoth! Sounds interesting to me. It's an actual standalone game.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 31, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I hope this bundle gets a bunch of upgrades, because so far I am .... Underwhelmed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

I hope this bundle gets a bunch of upgrades, because so far I am .... Underwhelmed.
Ditto. Not including a core game is a bummer.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, same here. I don't want to be down on them because they've been doing a lot of great bundles, but this is one is so meh. I know the new edition of CoC is coming out soon, but they could include the last one, at least. And no Trail of Cthulhu, just the player's guide? Definitely not going to purchase at this point, and hoping they include some better stuff later on.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Ditto. Not including a core game is a bummer.

It does include a core game, just not ToC or CoC. Dark Streets comes with the Renaissance core book and Dark Skies is its own game (unfortunately these are both beat-the-average games and not part of the core deal). I definitely agree that the rest of it is kind of meh because it's largely supplements, but I ended up going with it because Cthulhu gaming material is actually a big hole in my library. I am hoping for some good updates.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Call of Cthulhu won't be included as a core game. Chaosium has a history of over-pricing their PDFs, and I'm actually amazed to see any of their stuff in there.

BUT Call of Cthulhu is between editions right now, and you can get the (updated) 7e Call of Cthulhu quick start free here (login required).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I was honestly expecting Trail of Cthulhu to show up. The players guide is nice, but kind of useless to me without the core. I have faith this one will flesh out though.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Bundle of Tentacles has now added Tarot of Cthulhu Major Arcana as a bonus. It seems to be mostly to add a "Deck of Many Cards" to your game (A D&D artifact that, when your characters draw a card, would give you a boon or a curse) but also gives you an idea to use an actual tarot deck to random generate events in your game.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Here's some news courtesy of the G+ threads for Bundle of Holding:

They hope to have an improvement to allow for your Wizard's Cabinet to link to all bundles you have purchased, thus not requiring a separate Wizard's Cabinet for each. Also, they hope around holiday time (I assume this means Christmas but maybe Thanksgiving is what they are shooting for) they hope to make it possible to gift bundles to other people.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DriveThruRPG's doing their Trick-or-Treat scavenger hunt again. You have to go through the various pages on the site to find the pumpkin icons, and if you click them you can get free products. The pumpkins aren't generally on product pages, but on pages like your library, the help page, and so on.

It looks like you can get the following products:
  • Savage Worlds Horror Companion
  • Ravenloft Guide to Transylvania
  • Wild Cards Scare Sheet 1
  • Promethean
  • Streets of Bedlam
  • Profane Miracles
  • Kobold Quarterly
There may be one or two more; I just pulled the list off RPGNet.

What's cool too is that the pumpkins are in the same places on the other sites (WargameVault, DriveThruComics/Cards/Fiction) so you can get a bunch of free swag.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Are the pumpkins located in the same spots for every user?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

DriveThruRPG's doing their Trick-or-Treat scavenger hunt again. You have to go through the various pages on the site to find the pumpkin icons, and if you click them you can get free products. The pumpkins aren't generally on product pages, but on pages like your library, the help page, and so on.

It looks like you can get the following products:
  • Savage Worlds Horror Companion
  • Ravenloft Guide to Transylvania
  • Wild Cards Scare Sheet 1
  • Promethean
  • Streets of Bedlam
  • Profane Miracles
  • Kobold Quarterly
There may be one or two more; I just pulled the list off RPGNet.

What's cool too is that the pumpkins are in the same places on the other sites (WargameVault, DriveThruComics/Cards/Fiction) so you can get a bunch of free swag.

Awesome! Just found them all in about five minutes. That's a really cool promotion, and there's some great products on offer!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Krabkolash posted:

Are the pumpkins located in the same spots for every user?

Yes. Same spot for everyone, and (I believe) same places on each site.

I don't know where they are yet; I haven't had a chance to poke around.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Got 'em all. :c00l: It's really not that hard and doesn't take long when you keep the pointer about not looking on product pages in mind - it leaves only so much to go through.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

Got 'em all. :c00l: It's really not that hard and doesn't take long when you keep the pointer about not looking on product pages in mind - it leaves only so much to go through.
Were you getting the same product from multiple pumpkins? For some reason three of the ones I found were giving me the Ravenloft book.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Were you getting the same product from multiple pumpkins? For some reason three of the ones I found were giving me the Ravenloft book.

I got unique products for each different pumpkin I clicked.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Found em all. The Promethean one was driving me crazy but finally found it in the end by just clicking on everything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

I got unique products for each different pumpkin I clicked.
That's weird, then. I'm getting the same product from the Free Stuff and Reviews pages.

e: Oh, I figured out why. So far I found pumpkins on the main page (Ravenloft), the Search results page (Savage World companion), the Products Review page (Kobold Quarterly), and About Us (Streets of Bedlam). Haven't found the other three though.

e2: Found Promethean on the "Follow you Favorites" page. 2 to go!

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 30, 2013

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Thanks for the tip about this scavenger hunt thing, Evil Mastermind. After doing all the various hunts on the ring of websites I have like $50 worth of free stuff now. Some of it seems a little :jerkbag: but a lot of the products look at least fun for a read-through.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wait, are they the same place for each site? I found all the RPG ones, but I can't find some of them on other sites.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I don't think it's exactly the same place. I started going through on some of the alternate sites and didn't find everything in exactly the same spot. Of course, keeping track of every single location might have gotten me confused at some point so I might have messed up... I will probably go back and finish up the site I stopped on and then look at the others to see.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it looks like they move between sites, sorry. Everything was in the same spots last year so I figured that's how it'd work this year.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's weird, then. I'm getting the same product from the Free Stuff and Reviews pages.

e: Oh, I figured out why. So far I found pumpkins on the main page (Ravenloft), the Search results page (Savage World companion), the Products Review page (Kobold Quarterly), and About Us (Streets of Bedlam). Haven't found the other three though.

e2: Found Promethean on the "Follow you Favorites" page. 2 to go!

Theres one in the Troubleshooting page

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
From the main DriveThruCards.com page you can get an "Outrider Starter Deck", whatever that is, and from the search page of Wargame Vault, you can get DRAGONSHIRE: Gargoyle Bridge, which I presume is a terrain piece.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Outrider thing looks cute. It's a print and play card/miniature hybrid game that uses Hot Wheels as minis. God knows how it plays, but for free you could probably do a lot worse.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

If anyone is stumped finding Profane Miracles on the Drivethru site, it's on the newsletter page on the left side after you scroll down a bit

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The Bundle of Tentacles has added the bonuses of Shadows over Filmland (192 pages of adventure ideas for Trails of Cthulhu, inspired by old horror films like... well, Hammer Horror) and issues 18, 19 and 20 of the Unspeakable Oath, 64-page issues full of articles that deal with everything to do with Cthulhu-Mythos roleplaying. So that means more stuff for Call of Cthulhu and Trails of Cthulhu, but not the main rulebooks themselves.

Just under two days to get it, minimum for the bonus stuff is now $16.34.

Edit: Thought this was a little odd - the Unspeakable Oath issues are only in .Mobi and .EPub forms, with JPGs of their front covers. I would have thought they'd just be PDFs.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 31, 2013

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LashLightning posted:

Edit: Thought this was a little odd - the Unspeakable Oath issues are only in .Mobi and .EPub forms, with JPGs of their front covers. I would have thought they'd just be PDFs.

If there's no art in then .Mobi and .EPub are probably better for bandwidth reasons. Bundle of Holding still doesn't look like a very big outfit, so they'd have to worry about stuff like that.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Does anyone who has picked up the Bundle of Holding know if you can actually run Trails of Cthulhu using just the Player's Guide? Is there something fundamentally missing that you wouldn't be able to run the game? Someone asked them about adding the full book to the latest bundle, and they commented saying it would be "too confusing for people" to have the regular book and the Player's Guide. :what:

I didn't even know there was a Player's Guide for ToC before this bundle.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spincut posted:

Does anyone who has picked up the Bundle of Holding know if you can actually run Trails of Cthulhu using just the Player's Guide? Is there something fundamentally missing that you wouldn't be able to run the game? Someone asked them about adding the full book to the latest bundle, and they commented saying it would be "too confusing for people" to have the regular book and the Player's Guide. :what:

You could, but you'd be missing out on a lot of Ken Hite goodness apparently. So this is totally baffling to me as well.

The players guide is a stripped down 'lite' version of the game, as far as I can tell.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Spincut posted:

The Player's Guide is literally just the player's half of the core book. It has all the GUMSHOE rules and everything, but you'd have to come up with your own Mythos critters and such. If you're good with that you can totally run the game off of the PG.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This sounds like it came really close to being a good Bundle of Holding and then decided to go with the half-assed versions of everything.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
If it had Trail of Cthulhu or Call of Cthulhu, full books in it, that would've made it better... it does have a few core books for games in it but they are not what you would think of when someone mentions Cthulhu. It's either CoC or ToC, depending on how you view it, and other stuff fits but it is probably an outgrowth of it or something else but not as widely-known.

Even though it has ToC in it, it's not the entire book. I am curious why that happened, considering how much Ken Hite and Pelgrane stuff has gone through recently... course, that could also explain why they pulled out at the last second. There's still some time left, though, so maybe a surprise is in store.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
This is going to sound embarassing, but I found everything in the scavenger hunt but Ravenloft. I just can't find the pumpkin on the main page.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I actually found Ravenloft like 3 times or so. I think it comes up under the search function so it is easy to find it multiple times.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Any luck in Wargames Vault? I've found three main page, reviews, and search but nothing else yet. It would be cool to get some more papercraft terrain.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Gasperkun posted:

If it had Trail of Cthulhu or Call of Cthulhu, full books in it, that would've made it better... it does have a few core books for games in it but they are not what you would think of when someone mentions Cthulhu. It's either CoC or ToC, depending on how you view it, and other stuff fits but it is probably an outgrowth of it or something else but not as widely-known.

Even though it has ToC in it, it's not the entire book. I am curious why that happened, considering how much Ken Hite and Pelgrane stuff has gone through recently... course, that could also explain why they pulled out at the last second. There's still some time left, though, so maybe a surprise is in store.

The only thing I can think of is that I imagine that Trail of Cthulhu is Pelgrane's most popular product (I have no idea, though), so when approached about it, they said no. Same with Chaosium. Plans were probably in place for a Cthulhu-themed bundle already, so the Holding guys scrambled to put something together. Also, they didn't want to burn any bridges by saying that Pelgrane refused to let them sell the whole book, so they kept mum about it? Dunno, just pure speculation at this point, because considering the quality of previous offerings compared to this one, it doesn't make any sense at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I would guess Trail is doing very well for Pelgrane, but with 13th Age selling rather well (no specific numbers but I hear this kind of talk frequently) and probably Hillfolk doing well also when it reaches wider circulation, I don't know if it is the TOP top. Before recently, it just might have been, but I expect it has competition now.

I had heard, whether here or elsewhere, that Pelgrane has a 2nd edition of Trail out some time soon, which makes it even curioser, because you would think they might want to get cheap copies of the game out to folks who didn't have it already... hoping that they would jump on the "new and improved" edition at a higher cost in a few months... but who knows, really. I could see an argument being made that releasing the whole thing in this kind of bundle might hurt sales of another edition later, because people will have what they need and think, "Why should I buy something that hasn't changed much, probably? Especially when I got the initial version dirt cheap?"