Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Floppy ears and a big gun!

My favorite part is when they start attacking him because he's a programmer because being interested in computer science on a social network on the internet is verboten.

Cool poo poo OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Call Me Abey posted:

He didn't just outright steal jokes from @a_girl_irl, but our own beloved & best ball'd Wayne Gretzky & Bro Pair too:

https://twitter.com/DinkMagic/status/266941864559669248
https://twitter.com/DinkMagic/status/268807539385303040

That's not being a baby, that's calling someone else on their unfunny bullshit.

Congratulations on being the Carlos Mencia of Domain Name Squatters, shitlord.

There's a pretty big difference between stealing someone else's content and using it in your own comedy show where you charge money to let people watch, and taking some jokes from the Internet (specifically a part of the Internet where people make throwaway jokes and make no promise to their quality), amalgamating them with your own, and creating something new. The former is what Carlos Mencia has done, the latter is what Brian Mytko did.

Mytko took a Funny Joke on the Internet, added his own spin to it, and decided to show the world. This kind of thing happens all the loving time. You don't see the guy who drew the original troll face get all pissed off because it got slapped everywhere.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dvorak posted:

Apologizing for something you defended like 3 minutes ago. Good way to backpedal, champ.
I thought he was more apologizing for coarse language than his position.

Anyway I've thought about this for a bit and I think the big issue is that any form of attribution would interfere with the joke (that being that this is supposed to look like the actual menu at Guy's diner). Maybe I'm giving Porpoise World too much credit or benefit of the doubt, but I think he'd be willing to put up a notice on the bottom of the site that says "jokes from @a_girl_irl and Wayne Gretzky and etc." or whatever.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the issue isn't that he's using the jokes, it's that he's not giving the people proper credit. So crediting them (along with a public apology on twitter and SA) would fix everything, right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Call Me Abey posted:

Attribution is as much about permission as it is giving credit. An after-the-fact "Oh, by the way, I actually wasn't funny, it was a Children's Treasury of Jokes from people that were named" is pretty slimy too.

Well, it'd still be better than him just going on and saying "yep this is all me," right? I figure that's where the apology would come in, if he would honestly say "yeah I'm sorry I stole your jokes" wouldn't that help a bit?

Maybe it's just me wanting to believe the best in people but I don't want to call this guy a slimeball just yet. I also realize that this might be since I found these jokes through his site rather than through twitter so I'm sort of automatically wanting to side with him since that's how I discovered it first.

The way I see it, this hasn't really gone big big yet, so if he acts quickly he could attribute people correctly and the majority of the people who found out would know that other people came up with the material.

Edit: Also Abe you left the bold tag in your abenote in the OP closed.

Edit 2:

Wario In Real Life posted:

The funniest parts of the OP were the parts not stolen from anyone. Coincidence?
The problem with this is that there's so much plagiarized that who knows if any of that was original thoughts? The entire thing could be piecemeal from other tweets we haven't even discovered yet.

Edit the Third, I honestly didn't see this before I posted this originally and it kind of changes this post:

I really don't like this non-apology. Addressing people as "haters" and saying "I don't know what to tell you" really gives me a dislike for this guy.

What a loving shame, here I was just wanting to laugh at something funny.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Are we sure they weren't stolen, or have we just not found the original source yet? I posted this on my Facebook several hours ago saying (truthfully) that the "Superbowl Bash Bro'det" entry is maybe the funniest thing I've read in months. This just sucks as the genuinely funny final product is permanently tainted because the "creator" chose not to obtain consent or give credit for any of it.
If you look a page or two back there's links to tweets of almost every joke on the menu. As for anything else not found on Twitter I'm convinced that there's a tweet out there that it was stolen from we just haven't found yet.

Call Me Abey posted:

https://www.google.com/news?ncl=dOw...r=English&hl=en

Can you please do us all a favor and please stop telling us about what you don't understand but feel strongly about? Is that too difficult?

Like I get it: you think you've got an opinion worth sharing with anyone that's not mentally invalid. Despite proving multiple times that you're an absolute loving moron who has not even an inkling of a desire to put effort towards spending all of 5 seconds on a Google search, you don't have to make that like your gimmick. You can just ease off the keyboard. We get it. You don't know what the hell you're talking about, but you mean well.

Thank you for sharing this insightful & valuable feedback, but we're good now. There are plenty of other morons who can pick up the slack for you in regards to not having any clue whatsoever. At ease. Stand down. Just stop.
Well, my barometer for "a big thing" is "have I seen it on Facebook," which I hadn't yet. That's a really lovely way to judge if something big now that I think about it and I'm sorry for not putting the effort in for a google search.

As I pointed out in my edited reply earlier, I think his non-apology is really lovely. He basically just shifts the blame onto Pauline for posting the jokes on Facebook, calls concerned people "haters" and tells them that he "doesn't know what to say." I'm really disheartened because I was hoping for a happy ending to all this but nope

Not good poo poo, OP. Not good poo poo at all.

Edit:

axleblaze posted:

I don't think I would find this that scummy if it weren't for the self promotion. Like if this was just a thing put up anonymously to gently caress with Guy Fieri, I don't think it would be all that much of a problem that it was using borrowed jokes, especially because attribution would make it clear more quickly that the site is bogus. Unfortunately the OP had to try and show off and now he's trying to take credit for other people's jokes and that's just not excusable no matter how you slice it.

Yeah, this is doubled when you see him on Twitter going up to Jim Norton and saying "hey look at this thing I made!"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

At the very least some funny tweets came up about this.

@Bro_Pair posted:

*gumshoe voiceover* The rumpus is @BryanMytko was a patsy, a dumbbell, pure wackadoo. This job was done by an operator...Pauline Vassiliadis

About Mytko being at work while this whole thing went down:

@dogboner posted:

.@BryanMytko i also jsut got home from work. i was at work for the whole time making money and i wasnt here. like some of these nerds were

@leyawn posted:

@dogboner @BryanMytko its funny to see you here posting weird jokes evertime i come back from work ps. i have a job

@Lowenaffchen posted:

@leyawn @dogboner @dangerousneil @BryanMytko i just got back from a 16 hour shift at the having sex factory, and man am i tired

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

axleblaze posted:

So, is the OP ever gonna come back to try to desperately try and to defend this or do you suppose he's long gone?

I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten a big red title yet.

Edit:

Christian LARPer posted:

Calling a stranger a stinkyhole isn't really hurtful. She doesn't even post here. It's a word I use to describe whiny, vitriolic people... men and women. The guy who made the fake menu image used one of her jokes, and she had 10 tweets about how much of a piece of poo poo he is. The joke he used wasn't remotely the funniest part, Gertzky's jokes were.

She saw it though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

Or probated, for that matter.
Bans and probations aren't handed out for things that happened off of SA except under really special circumstances. He can't really be punished for plagiarizing off of SA but I imagine mods and admins will be extra strict on him on any future posts he makes.

EDIT: BOY IS MY FACE RED

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

axleblaze posted:

I'm pretty sure mods can probate and ban for whatever they want. The rules are pretty loose like that. If they think the site would be better off without you, then they will get rid of you. I could be wrong though.

I'm going off of this post in PYF. Hardly solid evidence, but I imagine if he'll get probated/banned, it's because of his reaction on this site to all of this, not because of the OP.

Also ugh this loving guy:

@BryanMytko posted:

This is fun.

@a_girl_irl posted:

@BryanMytko roll with the punches Bryan; this can only end well for you and your personal brand. Tweet at Jim Norton again!

@BryanMytko posted:

@a_girl_irl Oh i'm rolling. This is so much fun. I also don't have a brand.

@BryanMytko posted:

@foodbeersports dude i'm enjoying all the lulz

@BryanMytko posted:

@DinkMagic Just sitting here drinking some Olde English, enjoying all the lulz

"lulz"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Just noticed that. Egg on my face!