Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
My great shame is that I still haven't finished PS:T. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009
What are you doing with your life?

I mean like right now, this minute. Boot it up.

Here is a handy link in case you don't have it on your desktop ready to go :wtc:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/planescape_torment

e:

Page Downfall fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 21, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
No, it's very much ready to go! Mods all up in that business! I've played far into the game at least 3 or 4 times, but I keep getting distracted and forget to actually finish it.

I'm the worst person in the world. :gonk:

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

JebanyPedal posted:

Ugh, yet another attempt to show love for "oldschool cRPG fans" that just ends up repeating the same mistakes that were made 20 years ago. The Wasteland 2 video looked abjectly awful, with its tedious, shallow, and stagnant combat.
I played the entire Ultima series, I played the entire Fallout series, I played the majority of the AD&D games and went through most of the M&M and Wizardry series, I used to breathe cRPGs daily. Now I don't give a poo poo, I don't want to play them anymore because the style of play is stagnant, repetitive, tedious, shallow, irritating, and to put it simply, just mechanically stupid.

They were enjoyable in a time when nearly everything on the PC was an ambitious, half-way broken game, but now it's just really uninteresting to play a game created by a team that supposedly were designing it for people "JUST LIKE YOU," without realizing that you probably played those games to death back in the day and playing another one is just going to be like eating the old porridge from last week that tasted good back when it was warm and fresh, but now is just a coagulated slop.

Guess what? Your tastes in games has changed. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But not everyone has the same taste. I watched that preview of WL2 and absolutely wanted to play that game. It fits my tastes perfectly gameplay-wise. Just because you like different types of games now doesn't mean you should assume everyone else is the same.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Page Downfall posted:

What are you doing with your life?

I mean like right now, this minute. Boot it up.

Here is a handy link in case you don't have it on your desktop ready to go :wtc:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/planescape_torment

e:

Not that Torment isn't a great game but Gog rates Daikatana at 2.5 stars which means their average rating has at least a 2.5 star inflation.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Not that Torment isn't a great game but Gog rates Daikatana at 2.5 stars which means their average rating has at least a 2.5 star inflation.

The GOG forums can give you all the proof you need of why this is. :barf:

I want this to be good, but I feel like it won't be.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Twee as gently caress posted:

Who the gently caress are inXile?! Chris Avellone and Black Isle are those who made PT:S great, how can it not be poo poo without him or the original team involved?

Good news, Chris Avellone is involved. Just as he was involved with Wasteland 2, he is also involved with T:ToN. He has given Brian Fargo his blessing his well, and not only is Chris involved, but he personally hand-picked and sent a team over at inXile for that project, while inXile recruited some on their own as well.

Interplay's RPG division (out of which came Fallout) and Black Isle Studios were Interplay studios. Brian Fargo founded Interplay.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 21, 2013

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
While I really liked Torments plot and such (Planescape is fun, and they used it fairly well), I found the actual gameplay of it to be worse then similar games at the time like the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale games.

Also I'm pretty sure I know 10 years olds that are better at math then Monte Cooke considering his design uh, choices in some of the games he made, although like mentioned earlier, he does think up some pretty cool poo poo some times so I guess the fact that he's involved at all is pretty much a wash.

So I guess while I'd like for the game to be good I don't care enough to throw any money at the Kickstarter is what this amounts to.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They just use a weird rating scale where 5 stars is a classic, 4.5 is a good-great game, 4 is OK-good, and anything less than that is utter trash.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pyrotek posted:

They just use a weird rating scale where 5 stars is a classic, 4.5 is a good-great game, 4 is OK-good, and anything less than that is utter trash.

If you convert those into a percentage scale where 4 = 80, that's pretty much how every other site reviews games too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've only gotten halfway in Planescape Torment but it's still got astounding depth that far in. My conversations with Dak'kon were my favorite. :allears:

Would you guys recommend just cheating your way through it rather than struggling with the abysmal combat system or no?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've only gotten halfway in Planescape Torment but it's still got astounding depth that far in. My conversations with Dak'kon were my favorite. :allears:

Would you guys recommend just cheating your way through it rather than struggling with the abysmal combat system or no?

If you don't think the combat system is fun, then cheat.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

goldjas posted:

While I really liked Torments plot and such (Planescape is fun, and they used it fairly well), I found the actual gameplay of it to be worse then similar games at the time like the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale games.

Also I'm pretty sure I know 10 years olds that are better at math then Monte Cooke considering his design uh, choices in some of the games he made, although like mentioned earlier, he does think up some pretty cool poo poo some times so I guess the fact that he's involved at all is pretty much a wash.

So I guess while I'd like for the game to be good I don't care enough to throw any money at the Kickstarter is what this amounts to.

Yeah this is quite true. Like Morrowind, it's a lot of really good rpg stuff with a frankly bad combat system dropped on top. But this is a known thing. This is not like the old Fallout games, or Baldur's Gate where there is a hardcore of fans who want the combat to be just like it was when they played it over a decade ago.

I'm actually fairly excited about this, despite falling firmly into the camp (which I think includes most everyone who played PS:T) that feels there should never be a sequel made for that game.

I don't want more Planescape Torment, I want more games where there is back and forth between my characters personality as I project it on the world and how the world responds to me. I want more RPGs that think about how the very act of playing a game versus say, reading a book or watching a movie, can be exploited to better tell a story. I want a game that let's me a play an evil character that is actually devious or make choices with unexpected and unintended consequences that nonetheless feel like a natural part of the game world. And I want to play fantasy games that have a more interesting a creative story than Dragonlance vol 316 crossplatform edition.

Basically I want game like PS:T, but I don't really want another PS:T, and that is exactly how this project is being presented. I think that's why it has the Torment franchise attached to it. I'm not alone in this either, this is essentially why it's such a well loved game, and it sounds like these guys know that. In the case of Torment it's not about recreating the combat and spellcasting experience or revisiting beloved locations and characters at all, it's about recreating the storytelling experience and the way you interact with the world.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm cautiously optimistic. As everyone else has been saying, I'm gonna to see how Wasteland 2 ends up, if its good I'll definitely throw some money in. I like the idea of carrying the themes from Planescape to a new setting; I just hope they can maintain the quality of writing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Their last two games were, what, Chopper HD and Hunted Demon's Forge?

Chopper HD was an excellent game for what it was :colbert:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Listen to this man, there is a tome of cheats in the tweak pack for a reason.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Page Downfall posted:

I don't want more Planescape Torment, I want more games where there is back and forth between my characters personality as I project it on the world and how the world responds to me. I want more RPGs that think about how the very act of playing a game versus say, reading a book or watching a movie, can be exploited to better tell a story. I want a game that let's me a play an evil character that is actually devious or make choices with unexpected and unintended consequences that nonetheless feel like a natural part of the game world. And I want to play fantasy games that have a more interesting a creative story than Dragonlance vol 316 crossplatform edition.

This says everything I want about a game like this, in Planescape Torment you start playing a weird as gently caress dude and find even more bizarre and weird party members and your actions actually have consequences.

In Skyrim you always have humanoid companions and your actions aren't recognized at all, when I killed the Emperor in the Dark Brotherhood questline I wanted to rub it in the face of every dude in Solitude or at least the Queen or General Tullius but the game didn't let me, I want to be an rear end in a top hat dammit :qq:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Page Downfall posted:

Basically I want game like PS:T, but I don't really want another PS:T, and that is exactly how this project is being presented. I think that's why it has the Torment franchise attached to it. I'm not alone in this either, this is essentially why it's such a well loved game, and it sounds like these guys know that. In the case of Torment it's not about recreating the combat and spellcasting experience or revisiting beloved locations and characters at all, it's about recreating the storytelling experience and the way you interact with the world.
Yeah theyve been very clear about this, the reactionary hate seems a little silly.

It also seems like people are not familiar enough with Fargo/Interplays history in the games world.

quote:

The company was founded in October 1983 as Interplay Productions in Southern California with Brian Fargo as CEO. The first employees were the programmers Jay Patel, Troy Worrell, and Bill Heineman who had previously worked with Fargo at a small video game developer called Boone Corporation. The first projects were non-original and consisted of software conversions and even some military work for Loral Corporation. After negotiations with Activision, Interplay entered a $100,000 contract to produce three illustrated text adventures for them. Published in 1984, Mindshadow is loosely based on Robert Ludlum's Bourne Identity while The Tracer Sanction puts the player in the role of an interplanetary secret agent. Borrowed Time which features a script by Arnie Katz' Subway Software followed in 1985. These adventures built upon work previously done by Fargo: his first game was the 1981 published Demon's Forge.

Interplay's parser was developed by Fargo and an associate and in one version understands about 250 nouns and 200 verbs as well as prepositions and indirect objects. In 1986, Tass Times in Tonetown followed. Interplay made a name for itself as a quality developer of role-playing video games with the three-part series The Bard's Tale (1985–1988), critically acclaimed Wasteland (1988) and Dragon Wars (1989). All of them were published by Electronic Arts.

Interplay started publishing its own games, starting with Neuromancer and Battle Chess, in 1988, and then moved on to publish and distribute games from other companies, while continuing internal game development. In 1995, Interplay published the hit game Descent, developed by startup Parallax Software. Interplay published several Star Trek video games, including Star Trek: 25th Anniversary for computers and for Nintendo and Star Trek: Judgment Rites. These games had later CD-ROM editions released with the original Star Trek cast providing voices. Interplay also published Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy games, and Starfleet Command series, beginning with Star Trek: Starfleet Command. Another game, Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury, was in development in the late 1990s but was never completed and much of its staff laid off due to budgetary cuts prompted by various factors. In 1995, after several years of delays, Interplay finally published its role-playing game Stonekeep. Other PC games released during the mid-to-late 90s games included Carmageddon, Fragile Allegiance, Hardwar and Redneck Rampage.

In 1997, Interplay developed and released Fallout, a successful and critically acclaimed role-playing video game set in a retro-futuristic post-apocalyptic setting. Black Isle Studios, a newly created in-house developer, followed with the sequel, Fallout 2, in 1998. Another successful subsequent Interplay franchise was Baldur's Gate, a Dungeons & Dragons game that was developed by BioWare and which spawned a successful expansion, sequel and spin-off series. The spin-off series started with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance; the game's success forged a sequel as well. Aside from Dark Alliance, Interplay published a few notable console series such as Loaded and the fighting game series ClayFighter and the games by Shiny Entertainment, Murder Death Kill and Wild 9. Its successful Black Isle-made games included Planescape: Torment and the Icewind Dale series.

When Fargo has his poo poo together it works out well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chopper HD was an excellent game for what it was :colbert:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply those games were not solid titles on their own. I merely meant to say that nothing from those games shows that inXile is a developer who can create engaging and thought provoking story and plot and interactive elements that are going to really be crucial in a :airquote:spiritual successor:airquote: of Torment.

Great Rumbler makes a solid point saying that Fargo has put together essentially a new team for Wasteland and Torment (T|2)oo, so it's anybody's guess as to how it will shape up development-wise - so it is wrong to just shrug off the potential. However, even if it were Obsidian kickstarting a new NEW project, I think the wisest course of action is to see what the first project resolves itself into before you go funding another.

If the news was just that "they're developing the game, so be sure to look out for it in 2014 and buy it," then gently caress yeah I'd be super stoked. But now they're allegedly going to be asking for money, again, before the first project that they asked money for is out. And the complexity of this game is, per expectation, much more complex in terms of writing and interactivity and character development than other things they've done.

All this talk of 15 year old history means very little, consider the case with Ron Gilbert's most recent, decent but not stand out game, The Cave. In my opinion, anything past 6-10 years becomes ultimately nice but disregardable when expecting the same type of performance from someone. Whether it's just an outlier or not, this type of thing comes with a huge loving caveat emptor.

This cult of nostalgic pedestal-placement of developers is getting really weird, especially when there hasn't been anything to come out of it yet, except our money.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FRINGE posted:

Yeah theyve been very clear about this, the reactionary hate seems a little silly.

It isn't hate, it's concern that people are using Kickstarter to snatch up old properties to try and cash in on nostalgia. And until the studios doing it release good games to prove me wrong, I'm going to remain a skeptic.

Drifter posted:

All this talk of 15 year old history means very little, consider the case with Ron Gilbert's most recent, decent but not stand out game, The Cave. In my opinion, anything past 6-10 years becomes ultimately nice but disregardable when expecting the same type of performance from someone. Whether it's just an outlier or not, this type of thing comes with a huge loving caveat emptor.

You don't even need to look that far afield for an example; Alpha Protocol does some things well but it's a loving wreck compared to Torment, and while New Vegas is better in pretty much every meaningful way than FO3 it isn't exactly an epic feat to do that when 75% of the non-writing aspect of development was already done for you by another company. Gamers of a particular age are utterly consumed with nostalgia for things that they obsessed over as teenagers and college students, and will happily exalt anything their idols give them so long as they make a token effort to show camaraderie and speak their language.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It isn't hate, it's concern that people are using Kickstarter to snatch up old properties to try and cash in on nostalgia. And until the studios doing it release good games to prove me wrong, I'm going to remain a skeptic.

You don't even need to look that far afield for an example; Alpha Protocol does some things well but it's a loving wreck compared to Torment, and while New Vegas is better in pretty much every meaningful way than FO3 it isn't exactly an epic feat to do that when 75% of the non-writing aspect of development was already done for you by another company. Gamers of a particular age are utterly consumed with nostalgia for things that they obsessed over as teenagers and college students, and will happily exalt anything their idols give them so long as they make a token effort to show camaraderie and speak their language.

Yeah these are good points. That was partly my reaction to this too, and it's also a little less obvious what we'll be getting compared to say the Double Fine kickstarter or Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity. There are clear expectations about mechanically how games like those work and the appeal is very much 'you boot this game up and it feels just like these games you loved years ago'.

But there's a lot more uncertainty how a Torment sequel might play, since I doubt anyone is longing for a lovely version of the infinity engine revived as a delivery vehicle for hundreds of pages of text.

It also seems that games that try to make writing and storytelling a design priority are a complete crapshoot, even at the best of times and from the best studios. And maybe this goes some way towards explaining why we don't see more games like PS:T rather than the typical 'decline of the genre' story we've heard with these other kickstarter projects.

I'm still excited anyway :v:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I backed Monte Cook's Numenera PnP kickstarter, not for the rules, but because the setting was basically Dying Earth/Book of the New Sun the game. That made me all tingly to begin with. Then I found out there was going to be a CRPG made using the Numenera setting, I became doubly tingly. Then I found out it was going to be a homage/continuation of PS:Torment and I think I had a stroke.

I'm being optimistic because it's too drat easy to be negative. Along with Project Eternity, fantasy that I might actually give a poo poo about, exploring themes is an engrossing way, is being made and I'm rapt.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

I backed Monte Cook's Numenera PnP kickstarter, not for the rules, but because the setting was basically Dying Earth/Book of the New Sun the game. That made me all tingly to begin with. Then I found out there was going to be a CRPG made using the Numenera setting, I became doubly tingly. Then I found out it was going to be a homage/continuation of PS:Torment and I think I had a stroke.

I'm being optimistic because it's too drat easy to be negative. Along with Project Eternity, fantasy that I might actually give a poo poo about, exploring themes is an engrossing way, is being made and I'm rapt.

Basically every single loving NPC will be a malicious, avaricious trickster, and if you stumble across a tall guy in a long, black coat he will try to sleep with the female characters in your party.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 22, 2013

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Neurosis posted:

Basically every single loving NPC will be a malicious, avaricious trickster, and if you stumble across a tall guy in a long, black coat he will try to sleep with the female characters in your party.

Yes. Yeeeeesssssssss.
And if there isn't a fuligin lictor or spatterlight carnifex in there somewhere I'm going to be pissed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TG-Chrono posted:

You know, when you put it like this, it's making me an awful lot more excited than I was before.

I'll back this accordingly with how clever Brian Fargo is with setting things up with the Kickstarter.

That is to say if he does it on the same day as they release Wasteland 2, I'll give bare minimum. If he does it after Wasteland 2 starts getting reviews, I'll increase pledge. If he manages to hype it as much as Obsidian hyped up Project:Eternity, I'll probably give a ton again.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It would be good if they started it a week or so before Wasteland 2 comes out, then they can start with a good pitch and just as the campaign is entering the slow middle period they can say "Oh by the way the game we just released is "an epic masterpiece" according to Game Informer or whoever". That is assuming they're confident that it'll be well received.

I haven't played PST yet, but I'm kind of interested in this project because I follow Kevin Saunders on Formspring and his posts are consistently thoughtful and insightful regarding game development.. I don't know about living up to the Torment Legacy or whatever, but I think any game he's making is probably in good hands.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

Listen to this man, there is a tome of cheats in the tweak pack for a reason.

I would make the argument that giving yourself maximum stats from the beginning actually makes the game better.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Twee as gently caress posted:

Good news, Chris Avellone is involved. Just as he was involved with Wasteland 2, he is also involved with T:ToN. He has given Brian Fargo his blessing his well, and not only is Chris involved, but he personally hand-picked and sent a team over at inXile for that project, while inXile recruited some on their own as well.

Are you sure about this?

From what I have heard Avellone has given his blessing, and indeed sent a few people Fargo's way, but won't be working on the project.

quote:

What about the people in charge of the scenario ? Are the « chosen ones » selected ? Will be Chris Avellone be related in any way in your project ? Could you talk a bit about the overall scenario/story of the game ?

(Brian)
Colin McComb is the creative lead, with his experience in world-building and fiction writing as the cornerstone of the story and thematic elements. He worked on both developing the Planescape setting and as a designer on Planescape: Torment. Torment’s project director is Kevin Saunders, who was the lead designer and producer for Mask of the Betrayer, which some of the hardcore RPG fans feel was the game closest to PS:T yet. We have several great concept artists involved, including Nils Hamm, Andree Wallin, Chang Yuan, and Dana Knutson, who was the primary concept artist of the Planescape setting. Mark Morgan is creating the game’s soundtrack – he’s already created a piece for Torment and completely nailed it. A lot of great talent is involved.

Chris Avellone won’t be working on the project, but is very supportive of what we’re doing. He also referred both Colin and Kevin to me, so in that way he helped Torment form.

We will be sharing more details on the story soon but it is a bit too early.

Source: Dagon's Lair

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really don't know if this project fills me with fear or hope. It's second only to PE in dear-God-please-don't-gently caress-this-up right now.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I actually bought the game after reading a .txt file someone compiled of the npc dialogue arranged into a somewhat linear story. It basically cherrypicked all of the "good"/"cool" things that could happen in the story and just wrote it out like a book. I was sold after the first "chapter", so yeah, it's that good.

If the lovely combat system turns you away, just trivialize it with cheating. Having max wisdom from the start too will also open up more interesting dialogue options and you'll be able to do it without struggling through the combat with a lovely all wisdom character.

They did a decent job balancing it with increased experience from higher wisdom meaning you generally have a higher levelled character, but it was still kind of a slog. Personally, I could stand it and it was fun sometimes, but mostly kind of tedious and boring. Definitely turn it off if it means you wont play the game otherwise.

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
If Chris Avelloen isnt working on it them im not interested. The question "What is one life worth" while profound doesnt affect me as much as "what can change the nature of a man". The former question feels like intellectual masturbation to me- it doesnt seem personal or important - the latter reaches deep into the depth of your own soul. Quite frankly, i think if you are to make a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment, you should use the same question but under a DIFFERENT context.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They do have Chris Avellone's blessing, which has to count for something. I'm not gonna crucify because they don't have the exact some development team and writers, but I'll be a little skeptical. Hopefully they'll wait until Wasteland is out or almost out.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
They've basically tried to get as much of the old team back together as possible and Chris Avellone even helped put the team together, despite not actually being involved in the development himself. Seems kind of premature to write off the game based on the lack of his direct involvement and not liking the exact wording of the game's theme. Well, whatever.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I really like Planescape: Torment but the question "What can chance the nature of a man" was not really that significant a reason to me liking it, I just liked that it was all weird and wordy and stuff.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You guys are weird.

Colin McComb and Monte Cook were the lead designers on Planescape at TSR after the creator David Cook left the project. That's the original Planescape, on which Black Isle's Planescape: Torment is based. McComb was a designer on Planescape: Torment at Black Isle, too.

FYI: http://colinmccomb.com/?p=157

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

What was most memorable for most players of the game? Based on the conversations I’ve had with friends and fans, the answers (at least from a design perspective) boil down to these. It:
* Turned RPG tropes on their heads (e.g. death is bad and requires a reload).
* Had a rich, amazing story.
* Displayed memorable, unique characters, especially the companions.
* Took place in a hugely different fantastic setting.
* Allowed small player choices to make real differences in the game world.
* Wasn’t about an epic battle between good and evil, but it did ask serious questions (like “What can change the nature of a man?”).
* Created strange, even living, items that you can talk to or interact with

quote:

The first step in designing a new Torment story is to ask the primary question. I’m older than I was when I worked on Torment, and my questions now are different than they were. I have children now, and I look at the world through their eyes and through mine, and that’s changed me – in fact, the intervening years have changed me so much that I have new answers for the central story in the original Torment. So now that I know what can change the nature of a man, I ask: What does one life matter? … and does it matter at all?

Then I’d re-examine the fundamentals of the setting. I’d put it someplace other than Planescape (and I’ll explain why in a followup). I’d use a system other than D&D, because I’d want to align the player’s story axes along different lines than Good/Evil or Law/Chaos to something more subjective. The core of Torment is, after all, a personal story, and while we can be judged by others on the basis of our actions, arbitrarily aligning those actions on an external and eternally fixed line removes some of the agency from the player’s game.

I have a lot of ideas about what to put into a new Torment game, but my primary goal would be to help the player tell a story that was evocative of the original Torment without aping it. To be faithful to the odyssey of the Nameless One, and to recognize that it has ended, and that stories of Torment are ongoing.

He's the creative lead for Torment 2.

Great Rumbler fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 25, 2013

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Chairchucker posted:

I just liked that it was all weird and wordy and stuff.
At last, someone who has my exact same reason for liking PS:T! Sure, the narrative was a deep, thought-provoking search into the soul of one extremely well-traveled man, but what really roped me in was the ~atmosphere~, and if Numenera has a similarly engaging personality, then I'm probably going to buy it twice.

Assuming, of course, that the Kickstarter gets off the ground. There's always the chance that the game simply won't get funded.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I think what this thread needs is an argument.

I'll go first!

Reiz posted:

I don't know. If "What does one life matter?" is this game's version of "What can change the nature of a man?", I can't see it being anywhere near as good as PS:T. It seems like a lovely cliche plot point that has one of two uninteresting answers.

You should probably watch this Mitchell & Webb sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbjpwyesk0

Now imagine Robert Webb's character is you and "Is there a God" is "Does one life really matter?" because that's all I'm getting from you. Two uninteresting answers? What the hell are you even talking about? People have pretty much debated about this subject ever since they invented speech! Are you suggesting that whoever is writing this game is simultaneously both an unparalleled genius that can finally answer this question like no one else ever could before but simultaneously completely poo poo and awful? Are you just imagining some clearly black and white thinking exercise where there's one dude that you kill and that act of killing him will literally in itself spare millions in some astoundingly poorly defined manner? Stories don't have thinking exercises, they have situations and characters with logic, and feelings that override logic!

What if there's a closed space and a contagion and a fatal illness that takes a while to incubate, and hundreds of people trapped there, and the chance that a small child is infected and everyone will be fine if they kill him right away? Can you really say there's one definite and boring answer? Just kill him to be safe, how boring, there's nothing to be said about this, some dude just gets chosen to do the deed and then nothing interesting can be said about that because he's like "beep boop I am a robot, killing children is just dandy" and the child's family and friends will go "well it was for the common good". And naturally there's no chance of ever finding out you were wrong and the child was healthy. Or alternately that they all chose to spare the child and they're now all dying. Did they regret their choice? If not, why not? Nah, none of that could ever be presented under any circumstances as interesting.

How about a hypothetical person that's seen a lot of fighting and death with no clearly defined moral boundaries? A soldier, possibly. Someone who fought a war for something he didn't really know to be right, against equally uncertain people, who he killed. What if a person like that eventually comes to believe that no human being could ever flawlessly judge someone's worth compared to anyone else, and just decided that the value of any one person equals the value of any other one person? Should he kill a mass murderer? Of course he should, that's one person dead versus many spared because he would have gone on killing. What if it's something less clear, though? What about a politician who believes the course of action he's taking will strengthen the bonds between two nations while the soldier thinks it will lead to a war? What if that person is someone he loves? Can he really be unswayed as a person with feelings? What if there are no certainties? Could he still maintain his clearly defined "one life matters less than those of many" morality? Was it really that clear to begin with? By distancing yourself from the fact that people are different, aren't you just dehumanizing them and yourself? Does this kind of morality hold up if you really try to hold, say, Einstein and Hitler in the same value? Would someone just change their values after considering that? What would they change them to? What are the better definite answers?

That's just two examples and I could write a loving novel about either scenario. You really haven't thought this through at all, have you.

awesomepanda posted:

The question "What is one life worth" while profound doesnt affect me as much as "what can change the nature of a man". The former question feels like intellectual masturbation to me- it doesnt seem personal or important - the latter reaches deep into the depth of your own soul. Quite frankly, i think if you are to make a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment, you should use the same question but under a DIFFERENT context.

After consulting my watch I notice it is now devil's advocate time.

So, how about that Planescape: Torment game, guys? Wasn't that dumb? "What can change the nature of a man?" What a load of intellectual masturbation. They didn't even answer the question in any definite way. They just gave a load of different answers that basically amounted to "pretty much any old thing" and called it a day. That's just lazy, wishy-washy, pseudo-intellectual garbage. Now, "what is one life worth", there's a good question. It's personal, because we all know some people and hold them in some kind of value and tragedies touch all of us during our lives. You could write a whole entire game about just such a topic, I'd wager.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

awesomepanda posted:

The question "What is one life worth" while profound doesnt affect me as much as "what can change the nature of a man".
If you read that line cold without having played PS:T I doubt it would have 'affected' you at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who hasn't played Torment (very far), both those lines strike me as equally full of depth.

But from what I understand, it's what Chris Avellone did with the question that turned out interesting and I can see the same in the former. Neither are more personal than the other. Maybe "What is one life worth" is referencing your own life and big idea is that you consider yourself worthless for most part of the game, until you come to realize exactly what hinges on your staying alive.

• Locked thread