Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Interview thing here:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9462

quote:

For this interview, we turned our inquisitive mind-cannons towards inXile Entertainment, and with our magical questions, managed to hit:

Kevin Saunders, Project Lead.
Colin McComb, Creative Lead.
Adam Heine, Design Lead.
George Ziets, Lead Area Designer.
Jeremy Kopman, Crisis Designer.​

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Kevin Saunders and Adam Heine are also answering questions in that interview thread, in particular about the Obsidian/Pillars of Eternity tech they're using and how close they're going to stay to it:

Kevin Saunders posted:

Infinitron posted:

Hey, ksaun, I'd like to ask you this question again about character sizes: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/torment-tides-of-numenera-inxile-torment-successor-thread.79051/page-260#post-2803354

In general, how is Torment's graphical style shaping up now that you're definitely using the Pillars of Eternity tech as a baseline? Will it look similar, or will you make an effort to differentiate like the original PS:T did viz a viz Baldur's Gate?

I think you raised a great point, but ultimately we have gone conservative on this front and are planning to keep with the basic parameters (e.g., size of character on screen, camera angle) that PE is using. Whenever we more closely keep things as they are in PE, it reduces work/risk as we have confidence Obsidian will solve whatever problems arise. This gives us more oomph to be more experimental/different in the specific areas we choose. Anywhere we deviate, there is the possibility that some aspect of the PE technology doesn't behave as expected, creating new issues to solve.

Also, (and this is oversimplifying some), if we have the characters be, say, 30% larger on screen, then, well, we're also 30% closer to the environments. So the cost of creating the environments would also go up.

(One thing we are planning to do differently is to maintain the same screen space regardless of the resolution.) That is, if you play at a higher resolution, what you see would be at a higher detail, and the "zoom level" stays the same.)

We are planning to do a couple other things differently from PE that should place greater emphasis on the companions, but we're not ready to go into details yet.

karfhud posted:

What a great interview - thanks! I have more and more faith in George Ziets; it's almost unreal, but I have literally no expectations from TToN, not because I don't want to get overhyped, but because I just have no idea what to expect. The little red bugger on my shoulder says, "it can be better that PS:T, with all this writing talent on board and you know it, so pull that hype lever and go insane, now".

As for combat - it's not gonna be cut entirely, will it? It's not even suggested in this interview; there will just be other ways to resolve it, that's how I understood it. I wouldn't worry about pacing, writers know all about pacing and since there's so many of them on TToN, they'll nail it.

I'm also really excited for Brother None's, what should I call it, progress? Must be very rewarding to be able to learn on-the-go within such a brilliant team and then have an opportunity to write and contribute. Keep it up!

Oh, and I can't wait to hear what is it that Brian Mitsoda will write for this.

Please keep your expectations low so that we have some hope of exceeding them (or at least coming within a few sighs). We are just humans (well, most of us, anyway). (Though I'll say that I have a lot of faith in George Ziets, too (obviously).)

We intend for some Crises (i.e., >= 1) to involve "tactical" situations and problem-solving that occur in the absence of combat.

Infinitron posted:

throwaway posted:

Has the lack of day-night schedule been mentioned before? It's alright if its explained in the lore but I'd rather some dynamism than a static Bioware area.

I know they were considering it, but this is the first time it's been confirmed, I believe.

This was the first time we publicly stated this decision. We'll probably discuss more of the details "soon." (I.e., within a couple/few updates. Which apparently won't be soon at all.)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
New kickstarter update is out, and to no one's surprise their targeted release date is now Q4 2015.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Zilkin posted:

New kickstarter update is out, and to no one's surprise their targeted release date is now Q4 2015.

Actually makes me happy for purely logistical reasons. Too many games coming out late this year/early next.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Airfoil posted:

Actually makes me happy for purely logistical reasons. Too many games coming out late this year/early next.
Yeah. Spread them out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Airfoil posted:

What makes you think even more games won't come out in Q4 2015?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

None that matter. :smug:

Who knows. All I can think of that I care about are this, PE, WL2, Cyberpunk 2077, and maybe Witcher 3 (if I ever get back to 2).

For all this gamechat I barely get to play them anymore. PE and Torment will probably take me forever to get through.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Hakkesshu posted:

I have a pretty good idea of what's coming up. Games aren't usually announced and released in the space of 18 months.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Is anyone here familiar with Numenera? I heard Cook basically went crazy and made the wizard class even more broken than traditional DnD. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Ataru13 posted:

Is anyone here familiar with Numenera? I heard Cook basically went crazy and made the wizard class even more broken than traditional DnD. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I've skimmed through the core rules. Never actually played it. I suppose the nano (rough equivalent of wizard class) could potentially be overpowered, but Numenera classes seem much more flexible than D&D, so I'm not sure a direct comparison is really possible. Also not sure exactly what you mean by "broken".

Class information is in the Player's Guide if you have $8 to spare: http://www.montecookgames.com/product/numenera-players-guide/

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Ataru13 posted:

Compared to the Glaive (fighter) the imbalance is hilarious, as in the wizard gets to do cool wizardry poo poo while the fighter gets to sacrifice health to do an extra point of damage.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ataru13 posted:

Just browse the books. Dont worry about the angry DnD 4e people. Find a game store that has one or something.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Ataru13 posted:

I mean, I haven't read the books, but that sounds like exactly what Monte Cook did in all his other games, sooooo... yeah.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

minimalist posted:

Compared to the Glaive (fighter) the imbalance is hilarious, as in the wizard gets to do cool wizardry poo poo while the fighter gets to sacrifice health to do an extra point of damage.

Although that's accurate, it would be more accurate to say the wizard gets the ability to literally move mountains, at the same level that the fighter gets the ability to kick someone as an extra attack in a round. What's particularly dumb is both the fighter and the wizard gain their abilities by shoving technology into their body. So you can choose to shove the tech into your body that lets you teleport anywhere in the universe and shift mountains around OR the tech that lets you kick someone after swinging your weapon. Balance.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zilkin posted:

Well, at least I should be getting my Wasteland 2 key sometime this year.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zilkin posted:

I generally don't keep track of release dates, even with the games i help fund, so i was surprised to see that the game was originally supposed to come out in December this year. Not that that is too surprising given how sparse the updates are, but as long as the final game is good, i don't really mind.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Pomp posted:

Well, at least I should be getting my Wasteland 2 key sometime this year.

August, in fact.

I suppose a delivery date is required when posting a Kickstarter, but it's pretty meaningless for games. The idea that it's possible to provide a release date before you even have a budget or know the full scope of the project is ridiculous.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've gotten so few updates about this game, I'd forgotten I'd backed it.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

M. Night Skymall posted:

Although that's accurate, it would be more accurate to say the wizard gets the ability to literally move mountains, at the same level that the fighter gets the ability to kick someone as an extra attack in a round. What's particularly dumb is both the fighter and the wizard gain their abilities by shoving technology into their body. So you can choose to shove the tech into your body that lets you teleport anywhere in the universe and shift mountains around OR the tech that lets you kick someone after swinging your weapon. Balance.

It's that every fighter ability is "do more damage" while the wizard gets unlimited Hold Person spells with no resource cost at level two. And the fighter/wizard is 95%+ copy/pasted abilities from the other two classes.

But that's the banal bad part. The painful part is how there ARE some really cool character creation concepts that are so wide open it seems like the game is begging you to make up your own stuff. But then they are completely unbalanced, very crunchy and often a grab bag of loosely-themed powers rather than something tightly designed. That leaves you without appropriate guidelines on how to invent your own and creating them takes a lot of effort given how crunchy they are. And they really are a kitchen sink so the game ends up feeling like RIFTS: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Fun to look at but you wouldn't want to play it.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

MartianAgitator posted:

It's that every fighter ability is "do more damage" while the wizard gets unlimited Hold Person spells with no resource cost at level two. And the fighter/wizard is 95%+ copy/pasted abilities from the other two classes.

But that's the banal bad part. The painful part is how there ARE some really cool character creation concepts that are so wide open it seems like the game is begging you to make up your own stuff. But then they are completely unbalanced, very crunchy and often a grab bag of loosely-themed powers rather than something tightly designed. That leaves you without appropriate guidelines on how to invent your own and creating them takes a lot of effort given how crunchy they are. And they really are a kitchen sink so the game ends up feeling like RIFTS: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Fun to look at but you wouldn't want to play it.
Another dubious facet of the system, which only really occurred to me and my group after playing for a few months, is that the combination of the very linear progression of powers each class-combo gets, and the role of the Numenera as cool do-anything gadgets with similar abilities, means effectively that the GM is deciding a large part of what the player characters can do, in his choice of how and when to hand out Cyphers etc.

It is presented as a feature, and admittedly we did have some fun and awesome moments adapting cyphers to situations, but with the creeping realization that the characters became uniform and less central. It didn't really matter (besides inter-party banter) that one was a "religious jack cyborg" and the other a "roman soldier styled mercenary glaive", because at the end of the day, their inherent abilities were either too specialized or not evocative enough (or too broken.... "Teleport" got vetoed day one by the *players* as too broken and unfun) that they helped solve the problem du jour. It usually came down to either use a Cypher, or failing that spend enough Effort (and the generous regain rules means you usually have enough between a party of four to make anything at least likely, unless you throw them into combat constantly).

Fundamentally I want the characters to use their wits and skills to solve problems the GM throws at them. It is problematic, when the GM also decides what skills they have from session to session. Even if the players get freedom to decide what the 1d6 cyphers they just found do, ultimately the GM still has veto, and an interest to not hand out (too many) one-shot, I-Win buttons (aka massively or very broadly useful cyphers). If the GM decides what the cyphers do, you are faced with the planning problem of avoiding always giving them a suspiciously useful gadget that is perfect for the next problem they face.

Another quibble, though this is more a personal preference than a direct flaw, is that the majority of things you can spend long-term XP on, is basically "do what I already do, but better". I prefer character stat growth to be "do something I couldn't do before".

Anyway, a lot of this can be solved by making new Focus, Type and Descriptors abilities that are more varied and with more interesting effects than "+1 armor", and toss out the stupid "you may only get one from each tier" rule. Hopefully Torment will do some work in that respect.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 17, 2014

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
RPS has put the first part of a long interview with the Torment guys online, it is a good read : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/17/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview-1/

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

The second half of the RPS interview is up: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/19/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview-2/#more-213929

They talk about the first two possible companions and they are pretty funky:

'A fallen Aeon Priest whose arms are covered with intricate, living tattoos. He can pull these tattoos from his body and siphon their energies to create a blazing wall of force or a spray of acid. The other companion is a brash nano, a mad-scientist type whose recklessness has turned her into a series of quantum shadows echoed through multiple realities.'

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

The second half of the RPS interview is up: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/19/torment-tides-of-numenera-interview-2/#more-213929

They talk about the first two possible companions and they are pretty funky:

'A fallen Aeon Priest whose arms are covered with intricate, living tattoos. He can pull these tattoos from his body and siphon their energies to create a blazing wall of force or a spray of acid. The other companion is a brash nano, a mad-scientist type whose recklessness has turned her into a series of quantum shadows echoed through multiple realities.'

Welp. I know which one I'm going with for the first run, if only so I can hum "Me and my Shadow" all the way through the tutorial.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey so people who backed this with the backer reward that also gave Wasteland 2 might have a Wasteland 2 key in their donations page of their inXile account, at least I did. Yay!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Reason posted:

Hey so people who backed this with the backer reward that also gave Wasteland 2 might have a Wasteland 2 key in their donations page of their inXile account, at least I did. Yay!

Yeah, but apparently it's being rolled out slowly.

I'm a bit worried, actually, since while I remember backing it for the Wasteland 2 tier, I don't see anything referencing that on my donation page. Just that I've made a fifty dollar pledge.

I'd email them, but I'm pretty sure that I'm probably worried over nothing, right?

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but apparently it's being rolled out slowly.

I'm a bit worried, actually, since while I remember backing it for the Wasteland 2 tier, I don't see anything referencing that on my donation page. Just that I've made a fifty dollar pledge.

I'd email them, but I'm pretty sure that I'm probably worried over nothing, right?

Depends what tier you backed. The $50 digital tier did not actually include Wasteland 2: http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/thekstiers

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Gry-online got a pretty indepth interview with Kevin Saunders, Adam Heine and Jeremy Kopman (crisis designer) covering a bunch of topics and digging pretty deep into systems and combat/crisis details. Available in English: http://www.gry-online.pl/S022.asp?ID=9849&STR=8

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That sounds great. Every interview for this game has been sounding all the right notes. The idea of 10 really detailed scenarios being the core of the games combat just makes me stupidly excited. That sounds infinitely better than 100 thrown together encounters just to pad it out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Torment features Quantum WWI. That is gloriously odd.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK so now it lets you go to the updated Torment site and mess around with your pledges and... for some reason I've got a bunch of points they've granted me, and there are certain physical rewards they seem prepared to give me without charging for shipping. This seems weird.

EDIT: OK so now I'm apparently getting a free T-shirt for no apparent reason. Wheeeeee.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 17, 2014

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
You get one point for each $0.1 you pledged. I pledged $25, I got 2,500 points. It's a little bit weird but it allows for more granularity in the price of the rewards, I guess. Since apparently they wanted an experience bar it's also less ridiculous to use larger numbers.

I don't think it's all very necessary. It feels like some developers were bored while waiting to switch from WL2 to Torment.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh wait I see what happened, I'm dumb and pledged more than the tier amount for reasons that are not apparent, so I had some points left over. So I get a shirt because I paid that much extra.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

The endless war is a common enough device, but this seems a bit.... stretched? I'm talking mostly about this passage:

quote:

Yet despite the removal of the principals, the battle rages on, its contestants battling for ideologies of transparency, equality, and the common good on the First's side, and for duty, devotion, honor, and the hope of winning the Changing God’s trust on the other – the castoffs on the side of the Changing God do not want the First’s ideology dictating their lives.

Assuming this is a place we'll visit in the game, I cannot help but read this in the context of the Tides. Clearly one side favours one set, and the other a different. So far, so cool. I especially like that The Changing God is not necessarily just a selfcentered bastard to all; The ideology clearly can inspire people to see his point of view, whether out of genuine agreement, or self-interest in knowing what he knows.

But if the battle is in a relatively small area somewhere out in the boonies, and even given that the rest of the text implies that there are a hell of a lot more castoffs than I thought, and many of them are in positions of power, how does it have any change of being a deciding factor in the lives of Castoffs seemingly everywhere? The whole thing reads odd. I hope this isn't a prelude to how Castoffs are secretly the Illuminati of the Ninth World. The battle can take on a life of it's own, with nobody really sure why they started fighting in the first place, without hitching it to some sort of deciding destiny maker for the Castoffs in general.

Am I the only one getting that vibe?

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 17, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Furism posted:

I don't think it's all very necessary. It feels like some developers were bored while waiting to switch from WL2 to Torment.

What they seem to be saying in the update is that it's a way to allow rewarding people for contributions to the community etc. that aren't necessarily based on giving them money. So instead of ad-hoc upping someone's pledge a tier, they can give someone 100 Numenera Points for e.g. being a good beta tester who reports tons of good bugs.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I am honestly a bit disappointed with the lore update - it feels like they just spoiled a part of their own story.

The First Castoff and the Changing God seemed like pivotal figures in the story, and I had imagined that you would start out shrouded in mystery, both to the player and the Last Castoff, and only later revealed and encountered on the critical path in an important scene like with Ravel. Instead we now know, unless the lore update is deliberately misleading, that the First Castoff is dead, and the Changing God is in a body in a biological moon.

:smith:

Hopefully the story will have other interesting mysteries.

Parenthesis fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 17, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Looks like now is the time to start burying my head in the sand regarding lore and such.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Honestly why do people read lore stuff? I would much rather go into the game blindly and enjoy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

teraflame posted:

Honestly why do people read lore stuff? I would much rather go into the game blindly and enjoy.

Because it adds backstory to the world and gets people excited for the game? I doubt they would spoil anything important that had to do with the story in the game. And for the people not familiar with Numenera, this is great example of why the gameworld is so good.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I really need to learn to write down the extras I pledge for on Kickstarters. InExile happily did some good listing here, so I don't have the problem of rebuying extras I'd already paid for like I did with Pillars of Eternity, but apparently I pledged $12 more than I needed to, and I don't understand why. I don't want the thing at 1200 points (and don't especially imagine I did at the time), nor can I find a combination of lower pointed stuff that adds up to it. Hmmmm.

The update says they want to get to 4.75m to keep this area in. Anyone got an idea what they're at now? I have to assume it's gone up at least a little from the 4-ish million they had initially?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The update says they want to get to 4.75m to keep this area in. Anyone got an idea what they're at now? I have to assume it's gone up at least a little from the 4-ish million they had initially?

The website says they are at about 4.6 million.

• Locked thread