Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The game looks great, hope the writing of the actual game is better than 'find a flag for some guy, casually browbeat him into getting eaten by Cthulu' though.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Torment was always a game I liked in theory but never could get into because I couldn't stand the gameplay. I gave money to this in the hopes that an updated version would give me the experience I always wanted with the original.

That video made me very very happy.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

I wonder if you can feed one of your companion to the Maw (or even yourself).
Echo:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
GOTY

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Am I missing something? I am 500 points from the lext level which would give me a copy of wasteland 2, but I see no option anywhere to just add points. I have to just give at one of the pledge levels? If I can swing a copy of WL2 for just $5, I'd be all in.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

pakman posted:

Am I missing something? I am 500 points from the lext level which would give me a copy of wasteland 2, but I see no option anywhere to just add points. I have to just give at one of the pledge levels? If I can swing a copy of WL2 for just $5, I'd be all in.

Lots of people asking the same question in the official forums. I assume it will be addressed soon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those goddamn points; I get they wanted it to gamify and maybe partially reflect some sort of experience system the game may or may not have but I'm just seeing the stupid Bioware Points System.

Why make purchasing things more complicated?

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Drifter posted:

Those goddamn points; I get they wanted it to gamify and maybe partially reflect some sort of experience system the game may or may not have but I'm just seeing the stupid Bioware Points System.

The whole pledge page is so annoyingly hard to use and understand. I want to throw bit more money at them, but that whole system is really making me think twice about doing it.

The gameplay trailer looked even better than I had hoped though!

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Airfoil posted:

Lots of people asking the same question in the official forums. I assume it will be addressed soon.
Yeah, it should be available soon.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Drifter posted:

At least there's a 1:1 relationship between a point and a unit of convertible currency.

I'm not much of a fan of the system, either, but once they fix add-ons it should make a lot more sense.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Brother None posted:

Yeah, it should be available soon.

It is available now

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Slightly annoyed that I couldn't log in with my Wasteland 2 info.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

This looks fantastic and I'm pumped, though some of textures look muddier than I'd prefer. Not complaining about a pre-pre-Alpha video though. I'm guessing that the main reason for the amount of voice acting here is that it's cut together, everything else on the dialogue tree with the soldier dude is probably silent.

Since you're around, Brother None, do you know if the missing shipping costs on the poster add-on is correct? I live in germany, and the collector's box uses 1800 points for shipping, so I'm assuming you only collect shipping once?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That video actually makes me almost sad I signed up for a beta test tier. I don't want to spoil the game for myself. Hopefully they will do something similar to Project Eternity and release beta content that is more or less standalone and spoiler-free.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Schurik posted:

Since you're around, Brother None, do you know if the missing shipping costs on the poster add-on is correct? I live in germany, and the collector's box uses 1800 points for shipping, so I'm assuming you only collect shipping once?
No, that's being mislisted. I think we'll fix that today. The shipping instructions listed here are correct: http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/theksaddons

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

That gameplay video was rad

Kurtofan posted:

I wonder if you can feed one of your companions to the Maw (or even yourself).

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The game looks great, hope the writing of the actual game is better than 'find a flag for some guy, casually browbeat him into getting eaten by Cthulu' though.

The dialogue seemed to suggest the Maw doesn't always kill, based on the video I'm betting you can grow a character (yourself or others) into one the Maw judges and finds worthy of living. Or you can just send an NPC to their doom to sate it.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Atoramos posted:

That gameplay video was rad

The dialogue seemed to suggest the Maw doesn't always kill, based on the video I'm betting you can grow a character (yourself or others) into one the Maw judges and finds worthy of living. Or you can just send an NPC to their doom to sate it.

The new area they are considering adding, if they can get enough extra money, is described as a place you end up (maybe even the place), if a Maw doesn't just kill you. It's still not a nice place, and most go mad from the experience. So Maws definitely don't always kill.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Figure I'll ask here again: I just pledged for this, at the level that gets me Torment and Wasteland 2. Anyone have an idea of how long it'll take them to process the pledge? I'd like to get into Wasteland 2 this weekend :ohdear:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I decided to upgrade my pledge to bump up my points so I could get Torment and Wasteland. How long does it take until the pledge become points?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The new website layout, pre-alpha video footage, and my recent financial stability has got me ready to increase my pledge to one that includes a copy of the game. I have a question though, why is the Lore Seeker reward 5,000 points but has a better overall value than the Digital Collector's edition priced at 6,000 points? I was originally going to go for the DCE until the rewards page updated again and I'll probably be going with the Lore Seeker since it's only $45 extra dollars and I get the PS:T retrospective as well.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Hey Brother None, was alpha access for 1000 fun points removed? I saw it yesterday and after an awesome goon gifted me a copy of Wasteland 2 I planned to buy it and beta, but it seems to have disappeared today. I still see it as an 'item' in the database that's listed at 1000 points, but not as a selectable reward.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Everdraed posted:

Hey Brother None, was alpha access for 1000 fun points removed? I saw it yesterday and after an awesome goon gifted me a copy of Wasteland 2 I planned to buy it and beta, but it seems to have disappeared today. I still see it as an 'item' in the database that's listed at 1000 points, but not as a selectable reward.

FWIW, it's available for me.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Unrelated but, I'm interested in this game and I hear so much about Planescape, which is a pseudo prequel to this game, and I see that there is an LP of in in the Archive that is seriously long and doesn't seem very good. Should I stick with that or is there some other LP of it I can see, because I'm interested is seeing what the hype was all about and I feel I could have a greater appreciation of this game once it comes out if I see something of the last game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Thunderfinger posted:

Unrelated but, I'm interested in this game and I hear so much about Planescape, which is a pseudo prequel to this game, and I see that there is an LP of in in the Archive that is seriously long and doesn't seem very good. Should I stick with that or is there some other LP of it I can see, because I'm interested is seeing what the hype was all about and I feel I could have a greater appreciation of this game once it comes out if I see something of the last game.

You'd have an even greater appreciation if you actually played it. It's 9$ on GOG. Personally, I don't think any LP would be all that great for it to begin with. :shobon:

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Airfoil posted:

FWIW, it's available for me.
Huh, that's really strange! Is it in your available rewards or have you already selected / added it? I have 32 rewards available and 4 locked, and none of them are the alpha or even 1,000 in price. Only mention of alpha for me is in the crazy big package reward.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
:smug: Good morning, you're all just pretending to need this "medicine" because you're drug addicts.

:angel: Good evening, directed pharmaceutical use of amphetamines obviously enriches the lives of many itt and I just woul

Thunderfinger posted:

You can't really LP a game with as many words in it as War & Peace effectively, especially since 90% of the game is reading, but playing it is worth your time; at least, in my opinion. Some parts of it don't hold up that well (the combat is, to put it lightly, shite) but for an oldschool heavy CRPG where you have to go looking for the story and are rewarded greatly for finding it, PST stands in a class of its own. One of Black Isle's crowning achievements, if not the crowning achievement of their writing staff.

Everdraed posted:

Huh, that's really strange! Is it in your available rewards or have you already selected / added it? I have 32 rewards available and 4 locked, and none of them are the alpha or even 1,000 in price. Only mention of alpha for me is in the crazy big package reward.
I added beta test access the other day because I had 2000 points laying around and was planning on pledging $10 for alpha system access, but it looks like I'm in the same boat as you. That option just straight up disappeared from my options in available rewards.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 20, 2014

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Everdraed posted:

It's an available reward. If I click "add" it tells me I don't have enough inXile Bucks™, blah blah. Seems like if I put in more cash I could select it.

They're still working out the kinks. I've seen different versions of my pledge reward appear and disappear over the past couple of days.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Thunderfinger posted:

Bullshit, ShadowCatboy's LP was great. An epic "director's cut" of the story that lasted longer than a presidential term, if it's good enough for Chris Avellone to like it, who're you to argue? :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, play Planescape and just use cheats to cheese the combat. I beat the game legit and trust me you wouldn't be missing anything. The writing, atmosphere, and roleplaying are what makes the game a classic.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
If you really don't want to play it, I remember this LP being very well done http://lparchive.org/Planescape-Torment/

It's not the same, but I still really enjoyed reading it if it's the same one I remember.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Thunderfinger posted:

Shadowcatboy (I think) did an LP that was great. If thats the one you thought was bad, just avoid PST and ToN.

ANY decent LP will be very long, because the game itself had the text of a large novel. If you dont like reading you will not like PST.

Its either read an LP, or play (read) the game. I would just play the game. It is great.

Dramatika posted:

If you really don't want to play it, I remember this LP being very well done http://lparchive.org/Planescape-Torment/
Yeah that one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will never understand the people who say that PS:T has bad combat, sure the game is about the story, and there aren't as many options available, but the combat is still really fun, and while somewhat simpler is still as good.
Plus the spells and weapons are very unique, you will never see them in another game. Anyone who hasn't experienced a 25 con fighter is missing out.
Also for those of us who do like the combat, I loved the fact that every time you went to the underhive, the monsters had respawned, allowing you to endless combat at the later stages of the game.

Don't get me wrong, the story is absolutely the best thing about PS:T, but unless you don't like combat in any of the IE games, then I really think you are missing a big part of this game, by avoiding it

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
SCB's LP was very much in the style of PS:T and Planescape generally, which can initially make it a little off-putting to someone without any previous experience of either. I'd still recommend you try to get into it again, because it's a quality LP nonetheless.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

I will never understand the people who say that PS:T has bad combat, sure the game is about the story, and there aren't as many options available, but the combat is still really fun, and while somewhat simpler is still as good.
Plus the spells and weapons are very unique, you will never see them in another game. Anyone who hasn't experienced a 25 con fighter is missing out.
Also for those of us who do like the combat, I loved the fact that every time you went to the underhive, the monsters had respawned, allowing you to endless combat at the later stages of the game.

Don't get me wrong, the story is absolutely the best thing about PS:T, but unless you don't like combat in any of the IE games, then I really think you are missing a big part of this game, by avoiding it
The biggest problems I had with PST's combat were 1: characters getting caught up on each-other when you tried to direct them to attack nearby enemies, and 2: basically needing to turn the AI off once I got Grace.

PST didn't have good combat, but I think most of the problems with it are overstated. That said, a bit of time in the Modron cube could make anyone hate the combat.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Great Rumbler posted:

Now, bring on that first-person Bard's Tale reboot.

Well, there's this: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DEWH/devil-whiskey

Although I can't vouch for its quality and the price is ridiculous for a 12-year old game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Crotch posted:

The biggest problems I had with PST's combat were 1: characters getting caught up on each-other when you tried to direct them to attack nearby enemies, and 2: basically needing to turn the AI off once I got Grace.

PST didn't have good combat, but I think most of the problems with it are overstated. That said, a bit of time in the Modron cube could make anyone hate the combat.

PST had the exact same combat controls and horrible pathfinding/ai issues of Baldur's Gate, but just had less lovely AD&D magic bullshit to slog you down.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

PST had the exact same combat controls and horrible pathfinding/ai issues of Baldur's Gate, but just had less lovely AD&D magic bullshit to slog you down.
PST was exactly AD&D magic. The game just implemented a different interface.

Plansecape is great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FRINGE posted:

PST was exactly AD&D magic. The game just implemented a different interface.

Plansecape is great.

You're picking nits for no reason. I meant that it had less of it. Hence when I said less lovely bullshit to slow you down. 100 spells compared to the 300 of BG2.

Less of the crappy repetitive, do nothing barrier spells and more focused on the what cool effect do I want to watch as I kill someone spells.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trust me, I appreciated not doing the rote casting of "remove protection from being punched in the face" any time I fought something that matte- no, God dammit Grace, stop casting your heal spells on the guy with regenerating health!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

exact same combat controls

Eh? It's a good long time since I played Torment, but the problem I had with it wasn't the combat itself so much as the user interface, which was so much clunkier than BG's if you ever wanted to perform an action that wasn't "hit something". It always weirds me out that it's the combat in Torment that gets singled out as bad when the reason fighting things was a chore was because the radial menu was so awful - Baldur's Gate's UI might have been from the 90s style of borders all over the screen but at least the spells and special abilities were readily accessible, and BG2/IWD2 improved on it a lot.

I don't think I've ever played an Infinity Engine game without disabling the AI almost immediately.

• Locked thread