Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Schurik posted:

"Free" as in "getting something you didn't pay for". Maybe I wasn't clear about this, but I'm not comparing Kickstarter beta tier and early access, but Kickstarter tiers explicitly *without* beta access and those with it.

I paid for a physical collector's edition (plus a bunch of other stuff), which was a lot of money, but no part of my pledge included beta access. Even though what I paid is several more than, say, the most basic pledge plus beta access, at no point do I feel (nor should anyone else for that matter) entitled to the beta.

Understood.

I should know better than to be surprised that people on the internet are complaining about something without good cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
caved and preordered and am playing the early access.

the setting is waaaay more interesting than anything i've seen in games for a while. i've always thought the Dying Earth type setting would work really well for a videogame, but i can't recall anything that's really run with it. this game is doing pretty well with it.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 12, 2016

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Neurosis posted:

the setting is waaaay more interesting than anything i've seen in games for a while. i've always thought the Dying Earth type setting would work really well for a videogame, but i can't recall anything that's really run with it. this game is doing pretty well with it.

I like that the setting is essentially civilization piled on top of civilization, to the point where most of the crazy stuff laying around is so foreign that nobody really knows what it even does.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Great Rumbler posted:

I like that the setting is essentially civilization piled on top of civilization, to the point where most of the crazy stuff laying around is so foreign that nobody really knows what it even does.

The actual numenera books have some interesting ideas in them, but I have never played the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Great Rumbler posted:

yeah, that's a major thing in all the dying earth settings i'm familiar with. for example in the second book of the new sun book the protagonist talks about a mining town he visits, and it takes a while to become clear what is meant by 'mining' is that they're over a major site from a dead civilisation they delve into for relics of the past era.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Weird question, but after escaping the Fathom at the start of the game, I was rifling through my inventory and accidentally dropped a shatterstar, I think it was called? The thing disappeared completely, so I'm just curious if I screwed myself out of something relevant or if it was just vendor trash? I'm also mildly paranoid it was a Bronze-Sphere-esque item and I'm gonna regret not having it down the line.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I tried to google what a shatterstar was the only results I got was it is a mace from Pillars of Eternity so I assumed it was just a reference and not a useful item. Then I realized they were two different production companies and I'm back to square one. I don't think its use is known yet.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Clearly it's a: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatterstar

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Astfgl posted:

Weird question, but after escaping the Fathom at the start of the game, I was rifling through my inventory and accidentally dropped a shatterstar, I think it was called? The thing disappeared completely, so I'm just curious if I screwed myself out of something relevant or if it was just vendor trash? I'm also mildly paranoid it was a Bronze-Sphere-esque item and I'm gonna regret not having it down the line.

Shatterstar is just an oddity you pick up early (in the current build that drop has been replaced). It doesn't do anything, oddities are just our gemstones, to sell and trade.

(it's not a reference to anything)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
A bug happens for me whenever I inspect an inventory item. It just disappears. Kind of show-stopping if I hadn't noticed it early.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Neurosis posted:

A bug happens for me whenever I inspect an inventory item. It just disappears. Kind of show-stopping if I hadn't noticed it early.

Perhaps a silly question but are you closing the inspect screen by pressing the "drop item" button?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Hey Brother None, just got the most recent update containing the third From the Depths story and I noticed a few things.
The PDF zip file contains the previous From the Depths gold story. This is also the case with the .mobi file. Whoops downloaded the wrong files for these two.
The epub version is missing any metadata, and the cover and table of contents are the last pages as opposed to being at the beginning. The font style is also much smaller than the defaults ones in teh previous two entries. Similarly, the .mobi file has some formatting issues with alignment for the table of contents.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 30, 2016

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Brought To You By posted:

Hey Brother None, just got the most recent update containing the third From the Depths story and I noticed a few things.
The PDF zip file contains the previous From the Depths gold story. This is also the case with the .mobi file. Whoops downloaded the wrong files for these two.
The epub version is missing any metadata, and the cover and table of contents are the last pages as opposed to being at the beginning. The font style is also much smaller than the defaults ones in teh previous two entries. Similarly, the .mobi file has some formatting issues with alignment for the table of contents.

I think this should be fixed in the updated versions? Lemme know if you're still having problems.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Good news! They're getting the game professionally localized, thanks to an unnamed publisher. Bad news! They're giving up on the current target and pushing the release to "early Q1 2017."

(consolation prize: they're opening up beta access to all backers)

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

is this beta basically the full, unlocalized game?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Does the beta still have that clock puzzle character customization segment go "okay , just tell us what special powers you want and pretend you saw something cool"? What was I playing before if not the beta?

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Krinkle posted:

Does the beta still have that clock puzzle character customization segment go "okay , just tell us what special powers you want and pretend you saw something cool"? What was I playing before if not the beta?
That scene (indeed any missing scenes) is in now - thought I will note the selection of the Foci is one UI element not currently in the game.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a humongous backlog so I was perfectly happy to wait until the final release for this game, but today I got the beta notification... What is the goonpinion from the beta backers who have already played it? Polished enough to go ahead and play it now, bearing in mind I'm unlikely to play the game twice? In the months since beta was first released, has the game seen meaningful changes (by which I mean content or mechanics, rather than bugfixes and rebalancing)?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

is this beta basically the full, unlocalized game?

Why would you think that?

NihilCredo posted:

I have a humongous backlog so I was perfectly happy to wait until the final release for this game, but today I got the beta notification... What is the goonpinion from the beta backers who have already played it? Polished enough to go ahead and play it now, bearing in mind I'm unlikely to play the game twice? In the months since beta was first released, has the game seen meaningful changes (by which I mean content or mechanics, rather than bugfixes and rebalancing)?

:eyepop:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is the art in the game in a beta state as well because wow. I mean I just went through the mirror and the platform I'm on looks like it was poorly cut out of a larger picture in photoshop, maybe its meant to be that way but its ugly.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 10, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this game feels like garbage and looks like garbage

the opening sequence is the most philosophy 101 weird for the sake of weird nonsense I've read in a long time

it's like inxile heard torment was a game with a lot of writing and they said "hmmm okay" and wrote as much garbage as they could

floating cones
floating cubes
tree people

this is one of the worst games I've played all year

brevity is the soul of wit

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Dang you people are mean.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I tried playing it, but since combat doesn't work for me I just get to spend the whole battle crisis watching my party getting hacked to pieces with no way of inflicting damage on the enemy...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

antidote posted:

I don't really think its mean to critique a thing that you backed on kickstarter. It is ugly. I haven't played since I made that post but the art direction reminds me of that dark era of RPG book covers done in poser. inXile needs new artists or a new art director that isn't afraid to tell the artists they made an ugly thing and to try again.

I did like the writing and narration in the intro and then I saw the screen and I was like whaaaaat this is what 5 million in funding gets you?

The thing that really gets me is that I'm pretty sure I commented on the screenshots way earlier in this thread being ugly as gently caress and people who were playing it were like, "Oh it looks so much better in motion!" and no it doesn't.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 10, 2016

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I played the previous beta (haven't tried this one yet) and I agree that the game is pretty ugly unfortunately. Pillars of Eternity does the whole "isometric RPG" waaay better I think, I don't think InXile managed to create something that feels cohesive art-wise (or even intentionally non-cohesive like the world is supposed to be). It's a bit of a shame.
I also loving hate the movement of the main character, it just *feels* so drat sluggish and slow. I'd greatly prefer it if they did the "start running right away" thing like in PoE even though it may look a bit more awkward visually.

That said, once the game got going in Sagus Cliffs (really didn't like the "tutorial areas" in the previous version, not sure how they compare with the new one) I started really enjoying the game. Also, the lengthy CYoA sequence right after the tutorial stuff was *excellent*, really well done.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I only got to the first Crisis in an early build in the beta before the game bugged out and crashed, but I remember feeling like the game clicked for me in a way that PoE totally did not. I'm really looking forward to the official release.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mortimer posted:

brevity is the soul of wit

Did you know Shakespeare gave this line to a character who is frequently wrong, nonsensical, self-contradictory, stupid and, ironically, extremely long winded?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 10, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Did you Shakespeare gave this line to a character who is frequently wrong, nonsensical, self-contradictory, stupid and, ironically, extremely long winded?

yeah polonius but don't be rude

polonius also manages to be entertaining and a character people remember years later, and I can't see TTN being either fun or memorable

It desperately needs a good tutorial or something to say here's what's going on. Even Torment did that, it just said "Sigil is a place where all these different planes meet" and that was enough. TTN revels in that mystery and wants to shock you with how weird and nonsensical it is.

I hope there's a scene where giant phones talk on people and say gleep glorp

e: don't touch the cones

mbt fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 10, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
When is this projected to release?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't figure out how to do combat. I got to the first combat scene in the current beta with the scavengers or whatever they are, and I can't seem to get any of my party members to actually do anything. I can make them move around a little, but aside from the first attack angry tattoo guy got off, clicking on enemies straight up doesn't do anything. I ended my turns, tried different stuff, but nothing. What am I doing wrong?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

When is this projected to release?

The Dark One posted:

Good news! They're getting the game professionally localized, thanks to an unnamed publisher. Bad news! They're giving up on the current target and pushing the release to "early Q1 2017."

(consolation prize: they're opening up beta access to all backers)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it is a mistake for the first part of the game to have the camera so close to the main character, the game looks a lot better in the isometric perspective.

The interface looks pretty ugly and the game really needs a tutorial or help system of some kind, but i am sure that the last two will be fixed before launch.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

botany posted:

I can't figure out how to do combat. I got to the first combat scene in the current beta with the scavengers or whatever they are, and I can't seem to get any of my party members to actually do anything. I can make them move around a little, but aside from the first attack angry tattoo guy got off, clicking on enemies straight up doesn't do anything. I ended my turns, tried different stuff, but nothing. What am I doing wrong?
That seems like a bug. Restarting the game should resolve it.

antidote posted:

No kidding >_> <_< Haha.

Obviously I am not the most unbiased person on this, but I think our 4K environments look really good. A newer environment like the Calm (where you go right after chargen) is still a bit rougher. The art-style is definitely Numenera and not as grungy as Planescape, but there are grungier areas like the Underbelly or, later in the game, the Bloom.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

botany posted:

I'm getting the same problem. Resetting is supposed to help that but I've tried combat three times and it's never worked.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Leinadi posted:

I also loving hate the movement of the main character, it just *feels* so drat sluggish and slow. I'd greatly prefer it if they did the "start running right away" thing like in PoE even though it may look a bit more awkward visually.

Agreed. The running in molasses feel is not good. InXile's animators seem to think it's cool, so I don't think it's going to change.

Have to disagree with you about the style in general, though. I quite like the environment art.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The castoff keeps raising his hands in the air whenever I interact with anything. My assessment is they just don't care.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I do like the actual ingame art. The prerendered backgrounds do give it a more dated feel, but I actually like it as a call back to the infinity engine games. Overall I love the look of the game and I actually like the animations too. Writing has been engaging thus far, and having run two different characters with different types and the like through the start, I am interested to see what other insights you get from your choices. Good stuff so far.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm in the intro and the sorrow has appeared and speared three of my memory-friends and my fourth memory-friend ran behind me and is cowering and I can't figure out how the game is determining my turn is over but all I can seem to do is run around and on the Sorrow's turn some tentacle beasts appear and fly away.

What a game.

edit: IT WAS SCRIPTED

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm in the intro and the sorrow has appeared and speared three of my memory-friends and my fourth memory-friend ran behind me and is cowering and I can't figure out how the game is determining my turn is over but all I can seem to do is run around and on the Sorrow's turn some tentacle beasts appear and fly away.

What a game.

edit: IT WAS SCRIPTED

You're supposed to be able to attack I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm liking this new build a lot, except for the part where Cliff's Edge loads as a black screen with the effects from the UI regardless of where I enter it.

• Locked thread