Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I don't know. If "What does one life matter?" is this game's version of "What can change the nature of a man?", I can't see it being anywhere near as good as PS:T. It seems like a lovely cliche plot point that has one of two uninteresting answers.

Wasteland 2 is a joint project with Obsidian, right? Doesn't the writer for PS:T work at Obsidian? I hope they're getting him in on this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The wasteland 2 gameplay video (I had to youtube search it, the posted link was broken) actually looks pretty good, to me. I was too young for wasteland 1, I've never seen it played or read the manual and have no nostalgia whatsoever, but the gameplay looks solid enough that I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Torment 2 will probably have pretty solid gameplay, in fact it's almost guaranteed to be better than Torment 1 which honestly was a chore to play through while doing anything other than exploring and reading dialogue. I just don't know if I trust inXile's writers to do a good enough job with it because the dialogue/story in Torment 1 is really really good.

I really don't think "What is one life worth" is a great way to start a story, either, but it's hard to say without them having released any more information. I hope they do something interesting with it, I'll probably be buying Torment 2 regardless, I just really don't want it to suck. I do like the idea of it being set in a far future post apocalyptic setting though. I don't particularly want to revisit any place in Torment 1 because it feels like anything important that was going to happen there already did, if that makes any sense.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

It's mostly that I can only see two answers for it. You either get like "a lot" or "not a lot". I feel like it's already happened a bunch in popular media with things like hostage situations or dealing with the idea of sacrificing a life for the greater good.

I think unless you do something really clever with it or brush it to the sidelines, you end up arbitrarily limiting the scope of your story.

I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, or that the story is guaranteed to be poo poo because of it, it just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me when compared to "What can change the nature of a man?" which is a much more open ended question and ended up being a huge part of Torment 1's story without ever feeling like it was just something an NPC said at the start of the game and then was ignored during a series of fetch quests and boar rear end collecting until 30 minutes before the end of the game.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you don't think the combat system is fun, then cheat.

I actually bought the game after reading a .txt file someone compiled of the npc dialogue arranged into a somewhat linear story. It basically cherrypicked all of the "good"/"cool" things that could happen in the story and just wrote it out like a book. I was sold after the first "chapter", so yeah, it's that good.

If the lovely combat system turns you away, just trivialize it with cheating. Having max wisdom from the start too will also open up more interesting dialogue options and you'll be able to do it without struggling through the combat with a lovely all wisdom character.

They did a decent job balancing it with increased experience from higher wisdom meaning you generally have a higher levelled character, but it was still kind of a slog. Personally, I could stand it and it was fun sometimes, but mostly kind of tedious and boring. Definitely turn it off if it means you wont play the game otherwise.

• Locked thread