Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quarex posted:

2) Even I do not want this to be Kickstartered soon, despite being 100% confident that InXile is going to make(/is already making) an amazing game in Wasteland 2. Really I think Wasteland 2 needs to be in beta/have some big-name previews to allay all of the skeptics' fears before they do this.

I really hope someone is hammering this home to Fargo. If financially they have to fire it off before W2 goes live I hope it's really close to release. Ideally they'd just run on their own money for a couple months and start the kickstarter after W2 has been out a month or so and has good reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I definitely don't think a Torment kickstarter will triple the goal like W2, but hopefully that difference can be made up with profit off of W2.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I also reckon the game should probably drop the Torment part from the name entirely. Just be Tides of Numenara. Rolls better off the tongue.

Considering the fact that attaching 'Torment' will make up a non-trivial part of their fundraising $$$ and get them a lot of extra PR, I can't really see that happening. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Noricae posted:

I'm kind of baffled at all the negativity (not just here either) :/ Planescape: Torment wasn't about the D&D mechanics, or even setting (Planescape is hardly unique in using multiple worlds like that and it played fast & lose with 3.0 mechanics) anymore than the Sandman comics were about the DC universe. The quality of the writing concerns me (random philosophical side tangents, and then characters, and then a weird world setting, in that order), sure, but until I see differently I'm pretty hopeful (yes, even if it's just based on Bard's Tale + a few of the old Black Isle people).

I think people are just really cautious about anyone making a sequel to a beloved franchise. Afraid that it's going to be a crazy, stupid cash in like the XCOM shooter, or something else equally blasphemous. But frankly, if you wanted to cash in on a franchise it seems to me that Planescape: Torment is amongst the very LAST franchises anyone would attempt to cash in on. It has a lot of nerd cred, but I think sales were pretty poor, it's insanely text heavy (even Avellone apparently thinks TOO text heavy), and has way, way less mass appeal then something like Post Apocalyptic Wasteland 2. It may still be poo poo, and if they have the writing chops to pull it off is an open question, but my gut feeling is that anyone who is even interested in trying to make a Torment 2 almost certainly has to have their heart in the right place, and that makes me willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. :shobon:

Then again, I don't hold Planescape to quite the same level of worship as some. It was a great game, but it doesn't top my list of favorite RPGs or anything. I was always annoyed that my choices and such didn't really have any affect on the final ending. You always wound up tromping off to that hell war. It was not at all the ending I was picturing for MY Nameless One. I do hope a new Torment game would give us more ability to define who we are and much more in the way of alternate endings.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

That's some thumb Mr. Avellone.

What's wrong with his thumb? :confused:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

It has an exceptional curvature, but I've met some people with similar thumbs.

Maybe I'm the one with odd thumbs? :shobon:

Looks okay to me. :colbert:

Seriously, I didn't even know there was anything unusual about my thumb until my wife said she thought it was creepy. She thinks I'm purposefully trying to gross her out if I flex my thumb or steeple my fingers. I'm just stretching. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I actually made my wife give me her hand so I could test bend her thumb to make sure she wasn't bullshitting me.

Then I called her a cripple.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

100,000 just passed, 1/9th of the way there. Pretty good.

Welp, any worries I had about them not making it are gone.

I'll probably go in for $50 or so when I get home.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is this going up faster then W2 did?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, I imagine the whole cast off thing is a very purposeful throwback to the first game. A hypothetical Torment III (who would have every dreamed I'd be writing THOSE words?) would presumably go in an entirely different direction. I think it's just a way of helping make the transition to it being a new franchise.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brother None posted:

Well, we wanted to do a callback, but it's not the focal point of the pitch. The focus is mostly on "this is what we want to do".

No, really. It should be let go. It comes across as sort of unhealthy fixation. Three million for W2, and god knows what for Torment speak far more eloquently then goofy sketches.

Of course, I found the original sketches a bit painful too. Leave the comedy to Tim Schaffer. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I hope they do go with turn based combat, and not just because I'm biased! If it's supposed to be less combat focused (good), it would probably be best if the combat was slower and more thoughtful. As much as I like having full party control, it might be best to have your companions computer controlled, like Fallout or Arcanum, just to help emphisise the stronger focus on you as an individual character and your companions as companions rather than combat puppets.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

I hope they go with a forced isometric camera with pre-rendered backgrounds, like Eternity. Don't see them matching Torment's marvelous environmental art otherwise.

I'd like this too, but they'd have to build a whole new internal toolset, get familiar with another engine, etc. I have to imagine it will be on the W2 engine.

EDIT: Honestly, I think P:E looks like it's going to be more attractive then W2, although I suppose we still have yet to get a 'real' P:E screenshot.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

bef posted:

Just hit 1.5 :toot:

e: installing P:T to see what all the fuss is about

There is a widescreen/custom resolution mod as well as a mod that fixes the UI/font for those resolutions if you don't want to play in 800x600 or whatever games released in back in the day. I think they're both at Spellhold, or easily googleable.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm wondering now if they'll hit 1.8 mil and double their goal before the first 24 hours are up. If they miss it, I think it will be close.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Quarex posted:

So what I am taking away from this thread, as I have many other times, is that now that I found my Neverwinter Nights 2 saves from way back when, I should really pick up Mask of the Betrayer finally.

That is honestly what makes me most excited about this. Despite the fact that homebrewed role-playing campaigns seem to be the source for CRPGs semi-frequently (Dragon Age is just the most obvious recent example), when was the last time a new role-playing setting/system actually got this kind of momentum behind it? When I passed on Kickstartering Numenera last year, it was entirely because I figured I would not have anyone to play with, and what was the point of getting into a new setting only to never actually have a chance to experience it in a game? And then, welp, here we go, looks like I should have assumed Monte Cook would find a way.

Basically I am hoping that Numenera is the kind of thing where there will be four or five CRPGs set in its world so it can be the closest thing we get to a new Gold Box series, is what I am saying.

Oh god, I know I really need to play Mask, but I feel like I need to replay Neverwinter 2 again for the full experience, and I keep burning out a while after joining the Guard in Neverwinter.

Also, if someone kickstarts a true gold box successor I'll probably just email them my credit card number and be done with it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

theblackw0lf posted:

It's really not that important to play the original campaign to play MOTB. I'd just read a summary of the original game and you'll be fine. It's really it's own self-contained (and amazingly awesome) story.

There is one character that you won't understand the significance to in MOTB if you haven't played the original. And you might miss some of that character arc. But not sure it's worth playing 50 hours just for that. Though the original campaign does have it's own moments of greatness.

If you start playing the original campaign and enjoy it I'd say just keep playing it. But if you find it a slog, no problem just skipping it and giving MOTB a go.

That's what makes it so horrible. I've already played all the way through the NWN2 campaign. In fact, I've bitched in several threads about horrible I thought the very end was. You're all crushed by rocks. The end. I don't give a poo poo that they were planning an expansion. That was a horrible way to end a 50+ hour epic RPG. Worse then Eye of the Beholder dumping you to the DOS prompt and printing 'congratulations'. But that was back when NWN2 came out, quite a long time ago.

It's like an OCD thing. It just feels ~wrong~ to roll up a level 20 character and start MOTB. I have to ~earn~ those levels. :negative:

Quarex posted:

I was a huge fan of Grobnar

Jesus CHRIST, man! What the gently caress? Grobnar? GROBNAR? :stare:

Grobnar the physically painful to listen to? Grobnar the Olympic Gold Medal finalist for world's most annoying NPC?

DUDE. Seek help.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 8, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would get them a ton of extra cash, no doubt, but I suspect it's for the best he's not part of the project. It will help dampen down the general internet impression that Chris Avellone furrowed his brow one day and Planescape: Torment sprung forth, fully formed, while angels sang about him and a single shaft of light pierced the clouds to illuminate his upturned face.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wonder why they're running the Kickstarter for a shorter time then any of the others?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Never understand any companies utter inability to fail to understand the digital age and shoot themselves in the foot.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Um, yeah. Isn't Mitsoda supposed to be working full time with his tiny company to deliver Dead State?
:raise:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
HAHA. Not to be too cynical, but I had a strong ~suspicion~ that about half-way through the kickstarter Chris Avellone's schedule would suddenly have a Torment shaped opening. :xd:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2house2fly posted:

It's kind of a shame that Avellone's going to be a stretch goal, if I'm honest, because after I heard that Obsidian signed a contract in December I was hoping he would be heading that up. Still, apart from that it's a very pleasing development.

Maybe he still is. It dosen't sound like he will be doing a HUGE amount of work on Torment. One NPC and high level overview and plotting. Sounds like less involvement then he had on Wasteland, and that sounds like it was a couple days a week for a few months.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ It generally does as kickstarters wrap up. Expect it to spike quite sharply the last few days.

Pyradox posted:

They've said his and Steven Dengler's are going to be added afterwards.

Yeah, presumably as a post-Kickstarter deposit, so that they don't have to pay 10% on it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Looks good. Brother None, do you know if you guys are going to do any parallax effect, so that distant background moves at a slightly different rate then the foreground? Seems like that would be a really nice effect.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zilkin posted:

Screenshots looks awesome, but there is even better version of it coming later this week

Here's a version (via RPGCodex) with the Planescape Torment characters pasted in:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think we'll be lucky to hit $4 mill at this point. I'm really surprised, but there's not much of an end bump going on, yet. I guess it was unusually front loaded.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I assume the 200,000(?) that Fargo and Steve Dengler are pitching in count towards the Stretch Goals? If so we've already passed 3.5 million. Not to mention the ~60,000 on Paypal. That actually puts it at around 3.6 million currently, so I guess 4 million is probably in reach if we have a good last few days. Not counting on any more then that though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yep, I'm willing to bet that for every person who was willing to pre-order 18+ months in advance there are probably 8-10 people who would be interested in buying it when it's released with good reviews. Throw in a 30% off Steam sale and that number goes up even further.

I think Wasteland 2, Torment, and Project Eternity are going to make plenty of cash. In fact, given the way that video game budgets work, (big publisher pays the developer a fixed sum to make the game and keeps all the profits) it wouldn't surprise me if Obsidian makes way more profit off P:E then they ever have off big titles like New Vegas.

EDIT: Legend of Grimrock sold 600,000 copies. I'm pretty sure the spiritual reincarnation of Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate (P:E) will sell at least that much, even if a decent chunk is during Steam sales.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wow, that hits the Infinity Engine bone hard, doesn't it? Look good. Can't quite believe we're getting multiple new 'Infinity Engine' games in the next couple years.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
What they OUGHT to do is let you customize your characters appearance (skin/hair color etc) and then base the appearance of the immortal god off what you picked. :colbert:

(I like customizing my dude)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brother None posted:

The novellas won't be on Amazon no,

Hey! Look who hates money! :keke:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I would go with turn based because I like it better. :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Dammit, now I have to go register on their forums so I can vote for Holy Turn Based Combat.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drifter posted:

RTwP is kinda not nearly as good as turn based, even when they're both at their best, for isometrics. Good turn based is always better, because you can do so much more.

Yeah, you can actually play combat and make meaningful choices, rather then watch your little men flail away on autopilot and occasionally click to drink a healing potion.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

John McCain posted:

Have you ever played an IE game? Because there aren't any you can beat just by "watch[ing] your little men flail away on autopilot and occasionally click[ing] to drink a healing potion" (except, perhaps, ironically, PS:T).

Yeah, I've played them all. :shobon:

Honestly if you have your party and stuff set up right I felt like an awful lot of the (non-boss/high level wizard) encounters were exactly as I just said. At least, the Baldur's Gate games. Of course some of the later Bioware stuff was even worse. I'd wander off to go get some water while combat was running in Knights of the Old Republic and just let my guys lightsaber everything to death with no input whatsoever.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm already organizing a class action lawsuit in case my side loses! :byodood:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CottonWolf posted:

The filing - 'inXile didn't do this thing they never said that they'd do!'

Emotional suffering. :colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Meanwhile, I did a fist pump and danced a little jig. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

Certainly less polished with lower standards across the board. The Obsidian pseudo-isometric tech really helps, but there's evidently more attention to detail and simply more work put into these maps (at least as far as the look goes).

I think the zoomed in Project Eternity '2d' thing looks really good. I wouldn't mind if a future Wasteland 3 went ahead and used the same style.

• Locked thread