Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Since I've had a few people tell me to make a thread about these guys, here it is: meet Tycho and Refurb!

Such enthusiasm.

Tycho is a 2-year-old corgi mix that I found at the local humane society about a year ago. Stumpy legs and huge freakin' head. Fraction mentioned that he looks like he's part JRT as well, I think I have to agree.

He's incredibly friendly, quiet and almost never barks. I had him for about 6 months before I decided that I would get a cat. Tycho had been around a couple of other cats that used to live with me before and had no problems, so I hoped that he wouldn't fight with a cat too much.

Back at the end of September, FISHMANPET over in the YOSPOS cat thread posted this picture of a tripod kitten:

along with a video of her bouncing around like crazy after a toy. She was at a shelter about 20 miles away, so I figured I should go give her a visit.

It turns out that she'd been trampled by a horse when she was about a month old and was brought in to the shelter with her leg completely twisted around. They were forced to amputate the entire leg. I met her three weeks after the surgery, amazingly well recovered and energetic.

Yep, there's your problem.

I christened her Refurb and brought her home that night. After a week of isolation in the master bedroom/bathroom, she was ready to meet Tycho.

He didn't quite get what she was. But, neither was hostile towards the other, so that was a good sign.

A week later, she'd taken over the dog bed. He didn't mind, though.

Refurb really likes cameras. Really, really likes cameras.

There's so many more of those pictures.

Over the next couple months, the two of them seemed to get used to each other a little more. I was initially worried about something the shelter had mentioned - "prey instinct," where a hobbling or limping animal will appeal to a dog in a predatory way. Tycho started following Refurb around the house a lot. Not hostile, though. Just keeping an eye on her, it seems, whenever she's not in the room with us.

Now, it seems, they're the best of friends.

So, that's Tycho and Refurb - my stumpy land mammals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Just this one, as far as I can tell

I forgot to post one of my favorites of Refurb:

And I just got home so I figured I'd take a fresh pic of play time

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
A few gifs

El Gar posted:

I just want to say it was really brave of you to adopt a cat that was not only missing one leg but who also apparently can never ever actually close its mouth.

To be fair, your cat is the opposite of mine - an emotionless and empty shell.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
And a few reasons why the YOSPOS catte thread is one of the greatest things on earth:

:wtc:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Buggiezor posted:

In these her eyes look like they are two different colors, but in all the other ones they both look bright green. That's a strange and adorable cat you have there. And your doggie is adorable too. :3:

Not sure why some of those came out as neon green as they did. This is more like her real eye color:

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm gonna guess refurb never shuts up? :3: I like that kinda catte.

Pretty much this, yep.

Most pictures come out either like that or with a blurry mouth. She's got a very squeaky meow, though, which is really adorable.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Sure, here's some squeaky refurb bouncy laser chasing action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzPdnk0Jl8

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Lots of cat pictures so far, here's a dog nose.

I love watching these two interact, it's getting very predictable.

One minute they're chill...

Then it's play Time! FIGHT CLUB :black101:

e - I think that last gif is my favorite of those two so far.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

squeee posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Refurb is so freakin' cute. As a fellow dilute tortie owner, I salute you.

The other day I was browsing imgur for the first time ever and the third thing I clicked on was an album of all of Refurb's meowing pictures. I don't know whose album it was but, I was happy anyway.

Might have been mine, I submitted an album a month back or so at the request of a friend. Led to this on buzzfeed:

Just to show she's not 100% evil, here's a few more.

Dog kennel claimed.

A comparison of her back in October vs. February:

My, how much she's changed.

I was testing out my new camera and managed to find the setting that captures souls.

:stare:

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 22, 2013

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Refurb doesn't just meow a lot. She yawns a lot, too.

Dem teef.

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2013

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
We just got some fresh snowfall here and I realized that Refurb is too young to have seen snow before... I think you all know what had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9dgvmjxfY

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Looks like something is amiss...

Yep. Dog's lovin' it though.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
These two are the opposite of what I'd expect. The dog doesn't like to cuddle at all. He just likes to be near people, like on the couch with me or on the floor by my feet, but if you even just rest your hand on him he'll move away. The cat, on the other hand...

Click for big

Space lap cat.

Tycho got a turtle valentine for V-day. This is him appreciating it, I think.

Click for big

Also, I love how cool cat eyes are.

Click for big

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

xcheopis posted:

Is Refurb becoming less noisy with age or are you just able to capture her in those rare moments more often?

She's still noisy. She used to meow like crazy at the green focusing light on my old camera. The new camera, while taking better pictures, does not have a focusing light.

It's not impossible to catch the moments, though.

She's meowing in that last one, it's just hard to see.

Couple random ones:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Sorry to hear that. They recover very impressively, all things considered.

More pictures! Click most of them for bigger versions.

And I think the dog is a masochist or something, he really likes getting his rear end kicked by the cat.

"Will you be my friend?"

WHACK

"Ehuehuehuehe"

And a shot of Refurb losing a fight to an inanimate piece of fluff from a dog toy.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
It's been a couple months since I updated this thread, but the "Ideas for the forum" thread has inspired me!

I've got lots of new pictures/gifs of these two! You can click on most of them for larger versions.

Not a Single. gently caress. Given.

Her eyes have gotten super green, much more so than when I first got her.

Bunk beds has become a near daily thing around here.

Careful around Tycho, he's a real ladykiller:

Not Refurb, though. She's all business:

Her business still happens to be meowing. All the drat time.

She still forgets that she's missing that leg :smith:

:unsmith:

And missing leg or not, she's still a cat and will be messed with to an appropriate degree using laser pointers or any other means at my disposal. :colbert:

I'll keep updating this thread with more stuff if people are interested enough.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

defenestratrix posted:

Never stop. Refurb and Dogface consistently make my day.

Sure thing!

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

:catstare:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
A while ago I made a video of Refurb and Tycho playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdaP1Vqfhdk

After I stopped filming I went over to the stairs and Refurb was just frozen there, she didn't move for a good two minutes and just had this look of absolute horror on her face:

Also, they do this a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN7PrX5GHtM

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Tycho loves having his picture taken... whenever the camera comes out he gets this look on his face

Also, I've made a couple gifs of Refurb's limited jumping/climbing ability - for reference, that's Tycho's kennel and is about knee high on me.

She usually just sits there and looks anxious until I go over, pick her up, and place her in top of that pillow.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

It's always a party with these two around.

I posted in the corgi thread ages ago (probably a year or more) asking for some advice on kennel training Tycho, as he would flat out refuse to go in his kennel for any reason. It was recommended to try a couple things like kennel games and feeding him in there. I followed the advice, and the results a year later: he piles his toys in there, then jams himself into the remaining space. I'll take some of the toys out, he grabs more and brings them right back. This happens every freaking day.

I guess it is his kennel... good boy.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

AtomikKrab posted:

Indy sometimes does that freeze on the stairs thing. Fairly similar posture, maybe it scratches their back?

I think in Refurb's case, she uses is as a tactical cover when she goes into attack mode; in the video in that post you can see her take some swipes at Tycho and then bail off the top step. Pretty clever, actually.

In other news, both creatures seem to enjoy the rain we've had recently and spend a lot of time by the back door together.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Like the old west movies, where a guy walks into the saloon and everyone gets real quiet, the guy playing piano in the corner stops, and they all turn and stare...

"You came to the wrong neighborhood, pal."

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Teetotalitarian posted:

As adorable as Refurb is with her trippy eyes and tripod ways, I have to say I am so very smitten with Tycho's sweet face. I just want to love on him forever :kimchi:

I was crazy anxious about getting a dog, but he's turned out to be the best decision ever :3:

Stumpy legs! He got a little overweight over the winter but he's on a diet and exercise regime now. It's crazy hard to keep a dog exercised properly in Minnesota during the winter unless you really, really like the cold.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

She knows she's the boss.

I should count through the "meow" pictures I have of her sometime. Most haven't been posted, they might just not the best meow of the pictures taken at the time or for some other reason...

I've got a "Meows" folder that I haven't updated since the end of November that has 101 images in it. I got Refurb at the beginning of October. There's gotta be hundreds upon hundreds more of these.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
As much as I love Tycho, he's just not as fun to mess with as Refurb. And isn't screwing with a cat, like, 75% of the point of owning one?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Blimpkin posted:

Oh please god tell me what that toy is. My cat loves Da Bird and it's only limitation is that I too have to be mobile for it.

It's some kind of Air Hogs-branded ornithopter, I think I got it as a random xmas gift some number of years ago and just found it while unpacking. It's a terrible cat toy since it's big, fragile, impossible to fly, and sounds like a demon screaming out of the depths of hell when the wings flap.

All of the points, however, do make it great for bothering the gently caress out of a cat.

e - found a link to it here

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Teetotalitarian posted:

Hahaha, yeah, I live in Norway, so I know how that goes in the winter. "Oh, you want to go for a walk? Give me ten minutes to get dressed firs- oh my god your fur is clumpy with snowballs already how did you even manage :mad: "

This winter in MN was crazy slushy, so I'd need to give him a bath practically every time I take him on a walk.

Blimpkin posted:

In that case ill probably still get the great white shark balloon.

Please post videos of terrorizing your cat with it, this will be nothing short of hilarious.

More gifs, a mix of old and new! She is a very bouncy cat.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Refurb met a bug yesterday. Lucky for the bug, it was on the other side of the screen door.

These two are weird sometimes...

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Amazing.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

holocaust bloopers posted:

You should know that an active duty USAF flying squadron uses Refurb pics as professional replies to some dumb work stuff. I got a text from the flight scheduler to take some bullshit early show time that I wasn't happy about so I replied with this:

and then Refurb mania took over an AWACS squadron.

This is glorious.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Hey I don't think this has ever been brought up in the cat thread but what's the origin of Tycho's name? Did you rename him or was it original because it's a badass science name :3:

He didn't respond to the name given to him at the shelter at all, so I figure that it wasn't his original name and that he was probably a stray. I went with Tycho as a badass science name that's also very distinct from normal speech, figuring that might make it easier to teach to him.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
This is what happens when you get a kitten and let a dog raise it:

Or maybe she's just a weird cat, but I want to believe.

On a related note, Refurb is such a lap kitty. Every day, she'll jump up on my lap when I get home... for a price. Skritches must be had. This toll cannot go unpaid.

"Hey... HEY!! aww yiss"

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

He's a good boy.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

AtomikKrab posted:

Mournful dog eyes.

Also grabbing fingers to lick them is normal cat behaviour.

Shhhh..... don't ruin my dreams

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Source video, not much more to it than this but it's worth watching just to hear her squeak :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZC9nnsavDA

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Hummingbirds posted:

Does she meow literally all the time or just at cameras?

Also how do you say Tycho's name? The boyfriend thinks it's "Tai-ko" but I think it's "Tee-ko." Who is right? :catstare:

She meows literally all the time, but it's these tiny squeaks like 99% of the time so it doesn't bug me too much.

And I'm sorry, but your boyfriend is right - it's "Tae-ko"

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
The neighbors were training their hunting dogs outside yesterday.

They sat there like this for a solid hour.

And I think Refurb's a little confused by decoy Tycho.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Refurb pic dump!

(bonus background Tycho)

She's melting :(

E - plus a gift from YOSPOS

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 29, 2013

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

AtomikKrab posted:

Nice couch. How is it holding up to cat? It looks sturdier than my lovely couch.

It's an Ikea futon that we're using temporarily until we get a real couch. Sturdy and very claw-resistant, assuming that I trim Refurb's claws every couple of weeks. She doesn't scratch it, she just climbs it since she can't jump that high:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

defenestratrix posted:

Refurb has the prettiest eyes. :swoon: And that "glimpsed the abyss" expression... :catstare: :ohdear:

Totally worth clicking for bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Crossposting from the Pet Loaf Contest thread, I realized that I never provided evidence that Refurb belongs to me.

• Locked thread