Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is Tycho a graboid?

Everyone has aspirations.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
It stopped raining for a bit today, so field trip time!

Tycho loves this corner, he just sits and looks over the yard for hours.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I'm loving all the feedback here, you guys are the best :)

Favorite comment from YOSPOS: "Time to overclock this son of a bitch"

I went to a Twins baseball game this weekend and brought a souvenir home for Tycho

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Luisfe posted:

Being cat, most likely.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
It's rather funny that Refurb happens to be a dilute tortie, since she's not the first "tortie" that I've had in the house. Actually, she's the third in the house right now, though the others aren't the feline type.

Today she got to meet one of the others: Georgia the Russian Tortoise.

This is the first time I've been comfortable doing this. I used to take the tortoises out all the time, but I haven't since even before I got Tycho well over a year ago. However, these two furballs have proven to be very predictable and reliable so I was confident today... but also very close by just in case. Tycho was too busy sleeping to care to visit, but Refurb had to see what the hell this thing was.

Just for background's sake: I got Georgia back in high school, maybe 11th grade or so. That was about 7 years ago now, and she was this size when I got her so I conservatively figure her to he 10 years old, though maybe older. She's a cutie.

But all adorable things must end, and she's got tortoise poo poo to do. Over to the left.

Just a quick visit, no need to overstress Georgia. Maybe I'll bring my other Russian Tortoise out next time, too, but that's another thing for another day.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Just a few more miscellaneous shots

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

JD posted:

Just posting to say that Refurb is in my top 3 of interweb cattes

Abbeh posted:

Your pets are too freakin' cute :psyduck:

Thanks!

Tycho's my favorite part of these shots. "Sigh... she's at it again."

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Dog bath day! Which is generally not good news for the dog, I guess...

Refurb watched the entire time he was outside drying off.

"Oh look how warm and dry I am inside, ooooh it's sooooo comfy"

He's not a fan of being wet.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Took Tycho out to a nearby restaurant that has a dog-friendly patio. He insisted on sitting in a chair.

They even brought out a water bowl and ice for him :3: There's really not enough dog-friendly places around here.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Jenner posted:

Having a rough day today, read through this thread again just to see Refurb's expressions... felt a lot better.

Thanks for this thread. :3:

Always nice to make someone's day.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

MikeJF posted:

Does Refurb sleep-meow?

Yep, though mostly just awake-meows

Also, as it gets warm Tycho is proving to be a non-Newtonian fluid that is only solid when in motion. When he stops moving....

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Time to reclaim the dogbed in the name of canines everywhere :black101:

Tycho, you should know by now not to start poo poo unless you really mean to see it through.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

They took a nap together yesterday next to the A/C vent :3: Sadly, this was the only picture I got before Refurb woke up to the camera sound and started meowing.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
These guys are really patient when it comes to my bullshit.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Love dem ears.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

MikeJF posted:

Oh, hey, the original Shelter video of Refurb is still up. Kosher for me to post the link, Golden?

Is it? Go ahead, it's an awesome video. I think they deleted the original facebook post so I couldn't find the link.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Ahahaha holy poo poo I forgot how freakin' cute that video was. You see why I had to go get her like an hour after I saw that video?

They gave us that toy you see her playing with in the video because she loved it so much. I'll see if I can dig it out from under whatever piece of furniture it's probably jammed under and make a new video of her.

Also, Tinkerbell is an awful name for a cat

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Humane Society Volunteer posted:

This was such a happy adoption and she has gone to a wonderful home where she will have a doggy brother to play with! She is a lucky little kitten.

Two weeks later, according to the date stamp on the file:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

I guess I won't throw that box out then...

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Anoia posted:

Hail to thee, Refurbia...

Sometimes I think shelter animal names are purposefully devised to be as terrible as possible, but then I see goon puppy threads where the new owners ditch the awesome names they were given for something like Lady. :mad:

I think you're right. Tycho's name at the shelter was "Guy." Lame dog name.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

farfegnugent posted:

I just realized that Refurb has a big advantage over other cats in being catte: she has one less leg to worry about when cramming herself into boxes.

She does have a couple disadvantages too, like being unable/unwilling to get into a box that is vertically oriented. She was checking it out all timidly when I first brought it upstairs so I knocked it over so she could get into it.

Also, she makes a hell of a lot of noise cramming herself into a box like that because she more or less orients herself sideways to the box and flops into it, then claws around trying to sit up. It's so pathetically adorable.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Anoia posted:

Now you're going to have to prove it with a video. :colbert:

I'll see what I can do. In the meantime...

*boop*

"WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!?"

And just to show a little dignity:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

AtomikKrab posted:

I spent today tonging my cats after my car broke down and ruined all my other plans. I BLAME YOU for me doing this to them.

And I BLAME YOU for not posting pictures :colbert:

Today we went on a several hour long hike through the woods nearby. Tycho was very happy with it, I think.

Since we got home, this is all he's done:

And final bonus picture of Refurb judging my wine tastes.

To be fair, it was awful wine.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Also, have a video of Refurb doing a whole bunch of adorable stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLN6XU_xtz4

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Jenner posted:

You still contact the rescue you got this cute little bugger from? Show them these pics/videos? I bet they'd be thrilled!

I did send them some pictures a while back but never heard back :( oh well. I'll have to stop over there one of these days and let them know how she's doing.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Well I'll be damned, according to Refurb's microchip it's her birthday today. One year old today!

Welcome to the rest of your life :unsmigghh:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

AtomikKrab posted:

I was gonna say give me refurb but no... give me dat fukken fish balloon.

High maintenance predatory pet, you wouldn't want it

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Oh my god where did you get that fish balloon? I NEED IT FOR MY CATS :catdrugs:

Birthday gift. I think it was from ThinkGeek or something but I don't see them on their site anymore.

I've seen these things in videos before, but that did not prepare me for the sheer scale of the thing. From a volume standpoint, it's easily three times Tycho's size. Easily. I had to weigh it down to make it neutrally buoyant, too, so now it just sort of floats through my house with the air currents if I don't tie it down... On my way to bed last night this four foot long flying shark just comes idling down the hall towards me, like "Hey buddy, how ya doin?"

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Anoia posted:

The happiest dog, the hiddenest cat.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Stump wigglin' like crazy this morning. Don't worry Refurb, I got this one.

Maybe when I do this she pretends that she still has the leg, if only for just a couple minutes :unsmith:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
A few random shots

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

JimmydaFish posted:

Does she come to you when she needs a good ear scratching? If I see Bingley trying to scratch his ear, I just have to say "come here" and he has figured out that I'll take care it. Then he'll shake his head and spray drool and ear goo all over. Ah the joys of owning a 3 legged kitty.

Refurb is learning that I am a source of ear scratching. She usually waits for me to lie down on the couch and just jumps onto my chest, staring me in the face until I get the hint. When do scratch the right side of her head, her brain totally shuts down:

Refurb had a busy day yesterday, helping me eliminate our basement ant problem by hunting and eating any that made it up the stairs and near the kitchen.

She's a good hunter and got pretty worn out, it seems.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I'm really glad I invested money in a dogbed...

Oh well. Here's a few new GIFs for the day.

Play!

I love how Tycho's stumpy legs barely even reach his head when he lies down :3:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
You guys might get a kick out of this - Refurb's been rasing money for charity over the last few days!

Backstory - I relayed an experience I recently had to the YOSPOS catte thread about a real-life friend who recognized Refurb:

Golden-i posted:

a couple days ago i had a friend who recognized refurb from some pic they saw, he knew I had a cat and I've posted a couple pics of her on facebook. he sent me one of the pictures and was like "this looks a lot like your cat, man" "...yeah, that's my cat" "holy poo poo, your cat's THE refurb?"

it was really freaking weird

A couple comments happened and the idea was planted:

Trig Discipline posted:

did het ask for her autograph?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

i would pay for a reburb autograph

just a little paw print

I figured I'd be a smartass... I mean, who would pay for a cat's autograph?

Golden-i posted:

send $10 to your local animal shelter and post proof and I will mail you a refurb autograph

Well, as it turns out, quite a few people will pay for a cat's autograph. There's more than that, too - So far somewhere around $250 has been donated to various animal shelters and charities around the world, with more still coming in as of this morning.

Selling cat autographs. On the internet. This is by a wide margin the silliest thing that I've ever done.

...Now that I think about it, I guess I'll be one-upping it next week when I take a post card with my cat's paw print on it to the post office asking for postage to Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

holocaust bloopers posted:

It has to be said that you have a pretty great knack for animal photography. Their personalities come through in a big way with each photo and video.

Thanks! I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! This is my first SLR/DSLR that I got in February so I'm still learning the basics of pointing a magical box at stuff and taking their souls or however cameras work.

Here's the list of donors so far in what has rapidly become an accidental charity drive:

Mod Sassinator - $100(!!!)
Trig Discipline - $20
Edminster - $10
Women's Rights? - $25 (15 for Refurb, 10 for dogface)
Dominus Vobiscum - $20
Jyrraeth - $15
MikeJF - $20
El Gar - $25
Zamujasa - $25
McDragon - $15
Bonquisha Romaine - $10
ArcMage - $20
Holocaust Bloopers - $10
Install Gentoo - $10
morcant - $10
ijustam - $50
Shifty Pony - $15
Asmodai_00 - $20
Install Gentoo - $10
Base Emitter - $25
Fraction - 10GBP (~$15USD)
duTrieux - $10
GATOS Y VATOS - $20
Picayune - $100(!!!)
Roosevelt - $20
Drink and Fight - $100
axolotl farmer - $20
wombletrap - $75
Defenestration - $20
madpanda - $20
Blimpkin - $15
Pallette Swap - $10
Good News Everyone - $5
PipeRifle - $20
Livingston - $23
catamar - $15
Funhilde - $25
Kazy - $10
Podima - $25
FrozenVent - $15
RainbowCake - $15
Kavak - $10
Anoia - $15
Oliven - $34
Duckfarts - $30
BothSides - $35
SlippyFists - $25
Hogo Fogo - $20
pandariot - $15
Zenithbliss - $15
Leelee - $25
grimjuk - $25AUD (~$22USD)

Confirmed Imgur donations: $115

Other confirmed donations: $118

Total - $1512

Animals are awesome. You guys are awesome.

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 16, 2013

• Locked thread