Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

The guy who ran this for me used to play with Quigley, and sorry but I can confirm the K'zathoth-Da'Turag-Tar are not intended to be playable. Quigley doesn't consider Compendium of the Miserable Races "core" either, despite later reprinting pages 40-72 in the second player set and explicitly labeling them as part of the core Quest Squires experience.

I have a copy of the "Quest Spires: Underground Adventures: The Lairs of the Dragon Fish" box set somewhere around here, I'm trying to find it. It should have my old campaign notes and character sheets in there too. I did find this in my character sheet folder though! I think this was my character for the "Quest Spires Z5: Tyranny of the Fey King" module. Had to take pictures since my scanner isn't working.

He was a bit too powerful for Z5 since he had 6 improvements already and his armor was really good, but focusing on those things kinda messed with his spell progression and he only had 1st rank spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Maneuvers, which means he's somehow managed to shove at least two Tactician improvements in there too. Are you sure that's only a Z5 character?

Grey Elves get a free Tactician improvement at character creation, and if you finish Z4: The Trials of the Summer Court you can petition the queen for another improvement that doesn't change your experience rate. Of course, being a Grey Elf means you are forbidden from taking a small category of improvements but it's not a big deal.

Ettin posted:

How did you get an armor rating of Yes/Yes/Yes/No/No before Z9?

There's a trick where you take a Tactician improvement to trade away spell ranks for increased armor, then Berserker Rage that lets you trade armor for weapon damage, then the one (Arcane Enervation?) that trades weapon damage for spell ranks. You trade a rank of spells (rank 3, in my case) for 2 steps of armor, then trade 2 steps of armor for 4d8-1d4 damage with your weapon, then trade the 4d8-1d4 for rank 4 spells. You keep repeating the process until you get to Armor: Yes/Yes/Yes/No/No, at which point you can't trade any more because it's impossible to gain spell ranks beyond Rank 15 unless you're a Mystic Elf.
Mystic Elves can't take Tactician improvements, otherwise they would be completely overpowered.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ettin posted:

Does your friend who played with Quigley still know him? He is super hard to talk to these days. Apparently he only posts in a secret G+ community and to get an invite you need to submit a resume and have a friend of his check to make sure you're a guy who's playing the right games, posting on the right forums etc. You have to sign an NDA and agree not to talk about Quigley or challenge his opinions so I don't know the details, but I heard a former friend of his spilled them somewhere?

Quigley has about eight different G+ circles. I can see two of them, I think, and even my old GM only sees three or four. He's not that bad a guy, he's just had a rough life and he doesn't do well at arguing on the internet :smith:
There is some stuff if you look around the internet but I'm not going to post any of it, sorry.

Dareon posted:

The guys playing wizards could never figure out the improvisation rules for casting without your spellbook in hand, which to this day we're sure was intentional.

I can confirm this one; the rules for casting without a spellbook don't work, and if you look at the first letter of each sentence there is a fairly insulting message about keeping your spellbook safe.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

homullus posted:

Squiring Magazine

I loved Squiring Magazine. I have a bunch of back issues around here somewhere, I'll try to scan them in once I find them. My scanner kinda sucks though.
Do you guys remember the Skip Johnson articles? He was obsessed with Quest Squires, but the guy was crazy. He'd submit all these custom classes and monsters and adventures but there was always something goofy about them. This was one of my favorites, a class he called the "Vampire Hunter". There's a part that is just so very Skip, I don't want to point it out, but once you see it you'll know what I mean.
Sorry about the quality, my scanner sucks and Squiring Magazine is pretty old by now, this is from back when it was called Spires Magazine.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

They also called the magazine Spires Magazine for about 20 issues, so you're right it's definitely not just a fan issue.
But :smug: Lairs of the Dragon Fish is a Spires supplement, it includes rules for fielding undersea armies.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ariamaki posted:

Oh, so THAT is how you manage to make a character for a high-level campaign play who enters play dead.

You almost have it, but you forgot about the reaction roll. Since the Vampire Hunter loses its powers if it is nice to a vampire, you have to roll on the Self-Reaction table and hope the Vampire Hunter has low enough self-esteem to not treat himself with respect.
Otherwise the Vampire Hunter loses his powers, including the part where he turns into a vampire, and no longer needs to hunt himself. The character then enters play as a first level Nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Quigley used to be active on G+, but recently his account went private and you have to send him a portfolio of all the gaming stuff you've ever worked on to get added to his circles.