Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«105 »
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

You don't understand my problems! I can't even promote till the end of the game!

Most recent updates:
GhebFE: Chapter 11
The Last Promise: Epilogue
FEDDOP: Final
FE Binary: Odds and Ends

Awful Emblem is a thing that's happening. Join us in the IRC to find the latest build and talk about it!
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #awfulemblem

Click here to watch us be terrible at it!

original characters do not steal

Welcome, one and all, to the Fire Emblem Rom Hack Megathread!

Now, when you hear "Rom hack," the first things that spring to mind are probably eye-searing sprite recolors, stupidly inflated enemy stats, a horrific sense of game balance, and a complete lack of effort on the author's part. And you would be absolutely right. But there are a number of hacks that have had a ton of effort and thought put into them. Some of them go so far as to develop what is essentially an entirely new Fire Emblem game that simply uses the original game as a base engine, and some even go beyond that by doing things like adding character skills (a la FE5/9/10/13) to a game that doesn't support it. The hacks shown off in this thread will run the gauntlet from awful, almost (and at times, literally) unplayable messes to fantastic demonstrations of just how far you can push the humble Sacred Stones engine if you know what you're doing and are willing to put in the time and effort. Some will be suspiciously light on what we consider "rom hack difficulty" (giving boosts to the player?), and others will leave you questioning what kind of masochistic fucks could possibly hate themselves enough to power through it.

Naturally, the answer to that totally-not-rhetorical question is me. I've gathered up a group of similarly insane goons, and each of us have a hack to cover. Joining me on this insane journey are the following, along with the hack(s) they're doing:

Artix - FE7 Crossover *completed due to lost saves*
Endorph - DIFFERENT DIMENSIONS: OSTIAN PRINCESS
Ephraim225 - FEGirls
Miacis/Zwingley - Elibian Nights *complete as of V5*

Hey Artix, *insert hack here* isn't on your list!

True, very true. Neither I nor any of the contributors can be aware of every single hack out there, or maybe no one elected to take it on. But that's where you come in.

If there's a hack you want to cover that's not on the list, shoot me a PM or an email (Artix74 at gmail). I'll ask you to write up a test update so I can get a feel for the hack's content and make sure your images, etc. are all up to snuff. Assuming everything checks out, you just need to write up an OP that I can link to in the thread, and you'll be good to go. Remember that the idea is to actually finish an LP of the hack if possible, so please don't take a hack above your skill level, and that more than anything, we're here to show off as many unique hacks as possible. If the hack you want to show off is Example #382 of "barely edited FE7 script, overpowered self-insert, random and wacky character crossovers", then what is it really offering compared to Example #263 which is already in the thread?

Oh god I've never done an SSLP before how do I even get started

The short version:
1. Play the game as usual, and record your playthrough in some manner (ideally with the emulator's built-in recording function, but just about anything will do as long as you can get lossless video out of it).
2. Get your screenshots from the video, using VirtualDubMod, AvsPMod, or something similar.
3. Resize your screenshots if necessary, and upload them to LPix. Put the image URLs in your update, and you're done.

If you've got the "deer in the headlights" look just from reading that, you need to head to the Tech Support Thread. I can offer some minor tech assistance, but they're the experts, not me.

Hey, *insert hack* looks great! How can I play along?

You need three things to play any of these games:
  • An emulator, ideally one that offers automatic patching, but it's not necessary. For any GBA-based hacks, I'd recommend VBA-rr or VBA-M, and SNES9X is the emulator of choice for SNES hacks. ZSNES works, but it's a little buggy, and bsnes is ridiculously accurate, but also rather slow and CPU-heavy.
  • The base game for the hack. This is whatever game you're playing a hack of, so you'll need a clean rom of whatever the actual Fire Emblem game is (and this includes region! If the patch calls for Fire Emblem (JP), Fire Emblem (EU) will not work). This can be a little deceiving - Dream of Five, for example, uses a lot of FE8's tilesets and has a similar color scheme, but it's actually an FE7 hack. Make sure you have the right game for the right hack, or things will go horribly, horribly wrong when the emulator tries to load the game.
  • The patch itself. If your emulator of choice supports auto-patching, just put the rom and patch in the same folder, and rename them to the same thing (such as "ElibianNights.gba" and "ElibianNights.ips"); the emulator will take care of the rest. If your emulator does not support auto-patching (or something goes horribly wrong when you try to load it), you can apply the patch directly to the rom itself. If you have an .ips patch, LunarIPS will do the trick, as will NUPS the same for a .ups patch.
It is up to you to find these things. We'll point you in the right direction if you're really stumped, but Google is your friend. If you ask where to find a clean rom, you'll probably be ignored and reported for Seriously, just to explicitly spell this out: DO NOT ASK WHERE TO FIND A CLEAN ROM!

Thread Rules
  • Please do NOT start an LP without clearing it with me first! This is primarily to make sure we don't have five people trying to do the same hack, but also because I am instituting a ban on at least one hack (GhebFE). If you're willing to show it off without any of the plot, then maybe we'll talk, but anything less will get a rejection notice before I've even read your draft.
  • You are responsible for making and maintaining a mini-OP for your hack. I need something to link to in the OP, and it helps keep the thread organized if all the updates are there.
  • Use the SSLP Test Poster to post your updates. Fire Emblem LPs are long enough as is, we don't need three (or more, god forbid) full-length updates dropped on to a single page.
  • Keep voting to a minimum. The thread is going to be enough of a clusterfuck without trying to institute full-on voting for team members, and it'd require readers to keep track of 8+ LPs at once. If you want to do a quick "First to X" style of voting for which way to promote someone or something, fine, but you're a big boy/girl. You can pick your own party.
Seriously, most of this comes down to "Don't make the thread a clusterfuck." If you can avoid that much, we'll let a lot of stuff slide.

Artix fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2014 around 19:19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

You don't understand my problems! I can't even promote till the end of the game!

Other hacks
Adelheid - Matthew's Nightmare *complete*
Artix - GhebFE
cheetah7071 - Genealogy of Tordo ~Revolution~
Anatharon - ChinaFE
MysticBlade - The Last Promise: The Constellation
Miacis/Zwingley - FE7x: Immortal Sword *complete as of 0.3.2.2*
TheMcD - TactHack *complete*
Lisandra_brave - Attack of the Morphs
poorlywrittennovel - A Sacred Dawn DX
Miacis - FE4 Binary *complete*
Blastinus - The Last Promise
TheMcD - TactHack Redux
TenaCrane - GhebFE

Other Stuff
Cake Attack's Guide to Talking Heads (GIMP)
Artix's Guide to Talking Heads (Irfanview)
A Brief Tutorial on Finding Growths by CanofWorms

Artix fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2014 around 19:23

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

For those of you coming from Blastinus's thread, you can go ahead and skip right to Chapter 13, you're all already very aware of what we're in store for here. But in the interest of catching up the rest of the class:

So let's talk about FE8 for a second. It has a lot of mechanics that I really like (branching promotions and a proper postgame in particular) and it's unquestionably the most polished of the three GBA games, but it has an unfortunate (and accurate) reputation of being too short and too easy. For better or for worse, IntSys made FE8 a technically competent, if boring game. Even on hard mode, the game is basically a cakewalk right up until endgame unless you arbitrarily restrict yourself, and the game has one of the smallest casts in the series. But really, that's all kind of moot. Because as you might have gathered from the thread title, we're not playing FE8.

...Instead, we're playing this. FE7 Crossover is a romhack that more or less does exactly what it says on the tin. 14 characters have been replaced with a character from FE7; some replacements are done relatively smoothly, but most of them...well, it probably speaks for itself, but that screenshot should feature Franz speaking to Gilliam. Included with your purchase are the usual rom hack suspects, including awful sprite recolors, stronger enemies, needless number inflation, homoginization of the army, breaking the game's scripting, and a complete and utter disdain for anything even resembling class and game balance. If you're interested in joining me on this trainwreck, you can get the patch here. It's not a full list, but the following are some of the mechanical changes of the game (though it does include minor character/location spoilers, mostly names):
  • Myrmidons are now promotable to Heroes or Swordmasters.
  • Swordmasters, Snipers, and male Heroes have the Assassinate Skill.
  • Sages can now use dark magic.
  • Ewan can promote to Monk instead of Shaman.
  • The Ide armory has monster slaying weapons for sale on the World Map.
  • Divine, Elfire, and Flux are effective against monsters.
  • Fimbulvetr, Aura, and Fenrir are available in the Rausten Court Shop after Chp 19.
  • Raised Mage Knights base movement to 11.
  • Stat-ups and Promotion items are three uses a piece.

The other big problem this romhack has is that despite having replaced just under half the cast of the game, they haven't changed a word of the script. So yes, "Franz" and "Gilliam" will happily go on about their duties to the Frelian crown, and if you're not familiar with FE8, the plot won't make a goddamn lick of sense. Blastinus is covering all that good stuff, so if you're really interested in seeing what goes on in a saner FE8, you should probably check out his thread.

You do not have to have played FE8, but my runthrough is going to make a lot more sense if you have. In addition, I'm assuming you're familiar with at least the Fire Emblem basics. If not, you're probably in the wrong thread to begin with. You also may want to brush up on my FE6 and FE7 LPs if you're not familiar with those games, because I make a fair amount of references to them, mostly to characters.

And for the love of god, don't spoil who has been replaced. If you peeked at the list or have played the rom hack before, shut up and keep it to yourself.

With all that said, please take your sanity checks and deposit them in the nearest collection bin - where we're going, we don't need frivolous things like that.

Updates
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 5x
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Tower 1
Chapter 9A
Tower 2
Chapter 10A
Tower 3
Chapter 11A
Chapter 12A
Tower 4
Tower 5
Chapter 13A
Tower 6
Chapter 14A
Chapter 15
Tower 7
Tower 8

quote:

So...I have some bad news. Since we finally got Myrrh (which is what that picture is, if you didn't look) with an infinite Dragonstone, we in the Awful Emblem IRC chat decided we would go further. Just this once, we would hack the hack, and make Myrrh a goddess of death. We gave her the dracozombie caps (50 across the board!), Crit +15, Stealing, Dancing, Ballistae, Lethality, Summoning, and more. Finally, I would have my revenge for all the poo poo Crossover put me through.

Naturally, I made a backup in case things went horribly, horribly wrong. And when I went to load the altered rom, it loaded no save file. Which was strange, considering we were 3/4's of way through the game. No biggie, I thought. I made a backup for a reason. I go to load said backup, and my save files aren't there either. Which is very strange, because I literally did a copy-paste of my GBA rom folder. I played through FE6 and 7 the exact same way, and all of my save files and savestates were still there for those games, but nothing for FE8. We tried several things, but none of them could recover my save files, which leads us to the sad conclusion to this tale.

1) Hubris is, as always, the downfall of the most ambitious plans.
2) Far more importantly, VBA runs on loving magic and pixie dust, because it's been saving my progress for the last 3 or 4 months despite never actually making any save files.

I'm so sorry it had to end this way. Believe me, I take pride in finishing what I start, but we are way too far in for me to casually replay my way back. But perhaps this is the most fitting end of all - Crossover cannot be completed, it can only end itself. By eating its own save files.

Two things of note for the rest of the game that I will not be able to show off. First, Syrene got replaced. If you guessed Jaffar, give yourself a pat on the back. Yes, the triangle Attack still works. No, don't ask why, that road leads to dangerous places. Second, the game is actually unfinishable. The final boss has 128 HP, which doesn't seem so special, right? Well, there's a hard cap of 127 HP. Which means the final boss actually has negative HP. Every attack will kill the Demon King, but he won't ever actually die, meaning he's actually completely invincible.

Odds and Ends I didn't get to (Thanks, Shiny!)

Artix fucked around with this message at Apr 28, 2013 around 15:20

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Let's see what fate has in store.

Shit.

Oh, this could be fun. I wish your collective sanity the best of luck with these.

Regarding the most recent update in Crossover, I'm kind of sad that you decided to skip Pablo entirely, but if it's anything like the original game, he'd probably be only slightly better at best, so it would hardly have mattered.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

So how many of the hacks are actually good from the perspective of being like a real game vs. being entertaining trainwrecks?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

It is enough to make a bird go insane

You're clearly a masochist.

And what's with putting all those updates as test posts?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

Pierzak posted:

So that he doesn't depend on the FE8 thread staying out of archives until this thread is done and test posts is better than dumping all 20 updates as posts in a new thread.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Thread readability. Do you really want to see three, four, five full updates on the page at once? Also, this was originally in Blastinus's FE8 thread, but after the idea for a megathread came up, I moved the updates I had to the test poster so you wouldn't have to read his thread just to get caught up here.

RabidWeasel posted:

So how many of the hacks are actually good from the perspective of being like a real game vs. being entertaining trainwrecks?

To be honest, I haven't played most of them so I can't say. But I know that Dream of Five, The Last Promise, Elibian Nights, and MageKnight's hack are all supposed to be pretty good. FEGirls is also supposedly pretty good, but it hates you. Not as much as ChinaFE, but it definitely hates you.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

I've played FE4 Inflation just recently. It's not a bad hack by any means and the work they did on it is impressive. On the other hand all I can actually remember about the game now was my dancer soloing like 30 dragons by critting them to pieces.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Ah, so no thread votes then? I had a feeling that would be the case. I guess we'll just write each Elibian Nights tale in "the most natural order", then. (Since the game is actually non-linear.)

RabidWeasel posted:

In the OP, I'd say about a third are "real games", a third are terrible, and third are middling somewhere in between, often with good intentions, but poor execution.

Dream of Five and Elibian Nights are incomplete, but they are pretty much actual custom games. So is The Last Promise, though its creator rushed quite a bit on the writing and some of the balancing to get the hack out with an actual final chapter.

The two FE4 Hacks and FEGirls are, IIRC, pretty big changes in gameplay, but little changes in actual storylines.

MK404's FE7 hack is pretty much just changing characters and classes around from other games, with little changes to the whole plot...
It's really old by FE romhacking standards, and the character choices are pretty amusing, but I don't think it was really bad last time I played it.

As for FE7 Crossover and the hack that shan't be named, they certainly fit into the entertaining trainwreck category, yes.

I'm quite curious about Endorph's rom hacks, though, as I don't think I've ever heard of them... But glancing at what Google images gives me, I have a feeling that it will be fantastic.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

Miacis posted:

Ah, so no thread votes then? I had a feeling that would be the case. I guess we'll just write each tale in "the most natural order", then.

You can do votes, but keep them short. Like the first one to get five votes is the next one you do.

KnoxZone
Jan 26, 2007

And if I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Now that every FE game has been or is currently being LPed (sans Awakening), this is the only place left to go. I am looking forward to all the shenanigans that await.

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

I pick up my Devil Axe...
...and DEVIL!

I was going to ask when the thread launched, but I recently encountered Fire Emblem Tactics Universe. Which apparently has such a huge cast that there is literally a map with a black hole so you can throw characters away and make room for more characters. Anyone know anything about it?

Lotish fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2013 around 20:38

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yep, the blackhole's postgame only due to the fact you can get extra characters there and there isn't enough character slots to keep them all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I am the real hero here.

Most of these hacks are actually pretty good gameplay-wise. I wasn't blown away by the storylines in the hacks I actually played but that's just me.

I am on holidays till next week, just to let you guys know. By the way, using the SSLP Test Poster was a great idea, Artix.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Artix posted:

Thread readability. Do you really want to see three, four, five full updates on the page at once? Also, this was originally in Blastinus's FE8 thread, but after the idea for a megathread came up, I moved the updates I had to the test poster so you wouldn't have to read his thread just to get caught up here.

The biggest question I've got with this is "Is Baldurk okay with it?"

I mean, I don't think this is how he'd intended the test poster to be used.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Round and round and round she goes, where she stops nobody knows.

Lotish posted:

I was going to ask when thread launched, but I recently encountered Fire Emblem Tactics Universe. Which apparently has such a huge cast that there is literally a map with a black hole so you can throw characters away and make room for more characters. Anyone know anything about it?

I just finished it! It has pretty solid balance, most every character is usable (many being Sacred Stones-level competent, either that or I'm lucky) but some of the chapters can be pretty punishing enemies and gimmicks. The story really isn't too great, it definitely smacks of one writer only half-trying. It's also notable for making an attempt at actually challenging final bosses, though it's in question whether it does that well enough... I think so, save for one really stupid design decision--your obligatory early-game thief has an inherent crit boost ala swordsmasters, and still promotes into an Assassin. Once this happens he can pretty much solo chapters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

We're going to beat you up now.

Aren't Tactics Universe and The Last Promise the same game, or am I getting mixed up?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yep, Tactics Universe is the old name for The Last Promise.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IT'S NOT A TOOMER

In the immortal words of Reggie Fils Amie, "My Body Is Ready". I am ready for all the magical madness this will bring us.

Random question to Artix: You said that the majority of these hacks use FE8's engine (except for the FE4 ones, I assume), but does that apply to the FE7 hacks as well or is that FE7's engine being used?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Aren't Tactics Universe and The Last Promise the same game, or am I getting mixed up?

Yeah, they are. It was renamed to The Last Promise after the plot was changed, at least I think that's how it was. It was originally a prequel to the Elibe games. The base of the story and the characters was also written when the guy was... 14, I think, so it'll be great.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Mister Olympus posted:

I think so, save for one really stupid design decision--your obligatory early-game thief has an inherent crit boost ala swordsmasters, and still promotes into an Assassin. Once this happens he can pretty much solo chapters.
And don't get me started on the swordie main character... "Hello, I am a Swordmaster with high Str, 7 move, Lethality, a 20% Crit bonus and ridiculous 1-2 range personnal weapons. I am totally balanced and a likeable character too."

Miacis fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2013 around 20:50

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT MY FAVORITE JRPG

I am ready for all of this. Bring it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

In the immortal words of Reggie Fils Amie, "My Body Is Ready". I am ready for all the magical madness this will bring us.

Random question to Artix: You said that the majority of these hacks use FE8's engine (except for the FE4 ones, I assume), but does that apply to the FE7 hacks as well or is that FE7's engine being used?

It's a mix. If it's an FE7 hack (like MK404's hack), it obviously uses FE7 as the base game, so trying to patch FE8 with it will lead to...interesting results. Interesting, but probably not playable results.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Oh man, here we go

The only hack I played all the way through was MK404's, and other than committing the unforgivable sin of a self-insert Lord, it was fairly solid with some fun references. (Admittedly this was a couple years ago so it might be the nostalgia goggles talking.) Looking forward to the madness!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

From what I've heard, the FE8 engine tends to be avoided by rom hackers for its difficulty. I think it's an issue mostly with setting up events? FE7 is the one with the most tools available for that at the moment, and FE6 has a bad tendancy of exploding if you only ever look at it funny.
Of course, I doubt the author of FE7 Crossover needed a lot of complex tools for what he did... but most hacks seem to be developped starting on the FE7 rom, unless the author is really bold, experimented, or absolutely needs the FE6/8 engine for a particular reason.

Some hacks also look deceptive. Dream of Five uses a lot of FE8 tilesets and even looks similar to it in its style and colors, but it's still a FE7 patch.

Miacis fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2013 around 21:00

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Someone will actually do Blazer's hack?
Oh poo poo.
Prepare any 'Atrocious' emoticons you have.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IT'S NOT A TOOMER

Artix posted:

It's a mix. If it's an FE7 hack (like MK404's hack), it obviously uses FE7 as the base game, so trying to patch FE8 with it will lead to...interesting results. Interesting, but probably not playable results.
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

fleshweasel
Aug 23, 2004

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

It seems to me like OPs are really controlling about their threads in here these days. I don't get it. We didn't used to need THREAD RULES!! in poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lotish
Dec 10, 2008

I pick up my Devil Axe...
...and DEVIL!

Perhaps, but with a subject that can be quite the clusterfuck this could be, it makes sense to have rules on the ground floor. Groud-rules, as it were.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

fleshweasel posted:

It seems to me like OPs are really controlling about their threads in here these days. I don't get it. We didn't used to need THREAD RULES!! in poo poo.
To be fair, most OPs don't have to deal with other posters coming in and doing their own sub-LPs in the thread.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be good. The only rom hack I've seen played is Matthew's Nightmare, which was made to be complete bullshit, so calling bullshit on it was kinda redundant, so I'm looking forward to the pain

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Looks like you got a good deal there!

fleshweasel posted:

Well, given shitfests like the Dangan Ronpa LP, it's understandable.

I mean, it's a great LP of a great game, but my god that thread has some insanity in it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

The biggest question I've got with this is "Is Baldurk okay with it?"

I mean, I don't think this is how he'd intended the test poster to be used.

Just to get the record straight, I asked him and he said it was fine.

fleshweasel posted:

I'd like to not need it, but unless you want four people trying to do the same hack and putting all of their updates in-thread, it's a necessary evil. I mean, three of the four "rules" I have there are basically "Don't make the thread a complete clusterfuck, dumbass."

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Welcome to Fire Emblem Girls. This is a ROM hack of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and is probably the most impressive Fire Emblem ROM hack out there to date - there are new maps, more characters, and even the game mechanics have been changed in many interesting ways. It's also completely batshit hard! This thing makes Thracia 776 look TAME. I guess it's pretty telling that the game will only let you select Normal mode - there's no Easy OR Hard mode available. Still, I like this hack for doing a crossover CORRECTLY as well as inspiring a few of Awakening's mechanics. Assuming IntSys actually pays attention to ROM hacks...oh god I hope they don't find Super Thracia...

I should mention that the text is going to be entirely Japanese: there IS an English menu patch but I've had trouble getting it to work without causing other bugs. Since the plot is most likely just a retelling of the original story based on what I've seen, and most of you are familiar enough with FE8 anyways, this shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Chapter Selection
Prologue and Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 5X
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapters 18 & 19
Chapter 20
Final Chapter

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2013 around 00:20

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

I was a bit sad to see FE7 XOver fall out of the FE8 thread, even knowing it would eventually be reborn. I've been in a major FE frenzy for the past couple of months due to Awakening, so I'm eagerly anticipating seeing all these ROM hacks, both the good and the bad.

Edit: drat, loving up people's layouts already. Sorry, Ephraim225!

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've never bothered to play FE hacks, for fear of them being completely poo poo, so this should be interesting.

Hopefully the horrid writing isn't too bad because shame by proxy is a terrible curse.

Artix posted:

(GhebFE)

This is one of the two hacks I've heard of before and is probably the reason for that fear in the first place.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

Leeeeeeeet's get this started then! Ahem.

Hello there! I'm MarquiseMindfang, and I'll be your host for a hack with no formal name. Have a preview;

No, really. He altered a load of things within Fire Emblem 7, but never gave the hack a name. So mostly it's just referred to as MageKnight404's FE7 Hack or MK404 for short. I'm going to quote the man himself from the readme, here, but I'll remove spoilers:

MK404 posted:

I started this hack somewhere around late September 2006. The original idea was to change some characters and text, but then I wanted to do some more stuff as I went on. Things started to become more fun as I learned more things regarding on how to edit this game. Here's an overview:

This hack follows Eliwood, Linoan from Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, and <Character Spoiler> in a simple retelling of Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword. Many characters, some from video games, one from an anime (that would be <Character> ), and many original characters join up to thwart <Character>'s plans, defeat the Fire Dragon, and maybe have some fun along the way.

Difficulty won't be that much harder, mostly along the lines of FE9 Normal to Hard Mode late game. I'm not a really big fan of hardtype hacks, FYI, and the aforementioned difficulty was easy for me, so there you go.

This hack has no title, because I haven't thought of one yet. So, sue me. :E

If this were its own thread I'd name it Super Fire Smash Emblem, because this hack is just a constant barrage of references to various different things. It's not one of the terrible, glitch-ridden monstrosities that some hacks become, for the most part it's well done. This is not to say that it doesn't have its flaws and cringe moments... but then, that's half the fun, isn't it?

Chapter List:

Lyn's Linoan's Story

Chapter -1: The Duchess of Tahra
Chapter 1: Adventure Start
Chapter 2: A Detour
Chapter 3: Troubled Bandits
Chapter 4: Rest Stop
Chapter 5: Beyond the Borders
Chapter 6: Hateful Marquess
Chapter 7: Siblings Abroad
Chapter 7x: Ring in the Shadows
Chapter 8: Victory In Reach