Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

GrandpaPants posted:

What would be the best way to sell this game to people who have gotten into other LCGs like Star Wars and Netrunner?

It has all the fun of deck building, but with all the tactics and maneuvering of a miniatures game. If they like D&D or other RPGs, tell them it has status effects and saving throws done well. :)

The cards are actually REALLY smartly designed. I've played a lot of CCGs, and this is in the top 5-10%

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

What would be the best way to sell this game to people who have gotten into other LCGs like Star Wars and Netrunner?

Also, how does this game play with more than two players?

Maybe pitch the fact that while the dice are a random element, they tend to average out better over time due to the fact that you roll so freaking many of them. Ask them if they ever hated losing a game due to a lucky top deck instead of playing well and making good choices. Find out if they feel like Magic offers too many choices, while Netrunner offers too few in terms of deck building. Tell them that you can build Mages in a variety of different ways, from giving them a million different options, to a finely turned combo, or constantly summoning the biggest creatures possible every turn, to having a deck without a single creature and still being able to win. If they felt like Magic:TG sucks because decks play themselves; explain that there's no wrong card to build a deck with in Mage Wars and that no deck will ever "play itself".

I think the game plays fine with more than 2 player, provided that you do a few of the following: 1) build decks for multiplayer, 2) play with people who already know the game, and 3) either do teams with a first to kill a mage wins condition, or do a free for all with "sudden death" rules in effect for the round after someone is killed so one guy doesn't get gang raped early and then has to sit there while everyone else takes a million years to finish each other off.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Druid vs. Necromancer has been tweet-announced as the next expansion, which will debut at Gencon. Also, is there any reason I should get two of these expansions?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Before the Druid and Necro set comes out, they have said alternate art and ability Beastmaster and Wizard will be released, so if D/N debuts in August... that could be fairly soon.

If you're talking about buying two copies of the Forcemaster set, I don't think you really need to. I would wait for the next Spelltome box that comes out if you want extras, but it pretty much comes with 3-4 copies of every card already.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I should have probably wrote the entirety of the tweets, from @thedicetower.

quote:

"Arcane Legions announces Mage Wars Druid vs Neceomancer expansion. coming at GenCon."

"Arcane Legions announces next expansion. Spell zone pack and alternate versions of spell masters for Mage Wars."

"All my posts about Arcane Legions. I meant Arcane Wonders. Sorry!!!"

I expect a press release will be out soon.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
edit: Literally saw the forcemaster vs warlord rule sheet and the first thing on the page addressed the compass rose.

In other news, just cause I'd like people to keep jazzing about being mages, and maybe see that OP update some, Amazon is droppin Mage Wars for 42~ bucks, anyone have a dig at a cheaper rate?

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 24, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

In other news, just cause I'd like people to keep jazzing about being mages, and maybe see that OP update some, Amazon is droppin Mage Wars for 42~ bucks, anyone have a dig at a cheaper rate?

Been $38.99 on CSI since the day it came out that, at least that I've seen.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Oh PBJ tell me about warlord builds :allears:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Oh PBJ tell me about warlord builds :allears:

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to play either the Warlord or the Forcemaster yet. The Forcemaster is probably going to be my focus for a while.

I'd say listen to the other people(Dre2Dee2 seems to have a handle on the Warlord) in the thread and try to get a middle square with an Archer tower and Deadeye on him. Toss Eagle Eye on Deadeye, then wall him in and go to town with range to any square on the board and a handful of dice.

After I get in a test of the current build order for the Forcemaster I'll post that up, right now I'm still changing it around too much. She requires a lot of equipment as her monster selection is not very good, and I'm trying to figure out how early to work in the forge. It's one of those things that you want early but she really needs to cover the map quickly and get to work beating other Mages in the face with 3 dancing Scimitars so I'm not sure using the Forge is worth the tempo loss.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I got my copy of Mage Wars in yesterday and holy poo poo is that box a lot bigger than I realized it would be. It's like Twilight Imperium sized, and three hours later I was done sleeving all the cards. I also got the Warlord v. Forcemaster expansion so I could get free shipping, but is there still a compelling reason to get another base set? I saw a few cards in the expansion that were in the base set, so I don't know if those were the more sought after cards or what. I don't even think I have the table space for two playmats.

Also, how do I teach this game without overwhelming someone with information? At least with something like Netrunner, card drawing gates information so that a person only has so many tactical considerations, but with what is essentially a full deck available, I'm worried that it would just daunt people, not to mention all the various keyworded mechanics and whatnot. Hell, it daunts me.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
My copy hasn't arrived yet but I've been reading over the literature and it is essentially pretty simple from the stand point that all the magic acts in a way that makes sense (A wall of fire hurts you for going through it, a stone wall is impassable, etc).

Aside from recognizing the post for new players in the first page which has good things to acknowledge once you are in the game.

Head on over to http://magewars.com/jsite/detailed-overview/rules the official site and grab yourself the how to teach mage wars section, and the apprentice spell lists.

You just want to learn the game at the start you don't need to know the status effects by heart and all that (there is also a status reference sheet on the site if you don't have one in the box readily available.) The apprentice spell-books give you everything you need to play a game and let you familiarize yourself with the different types of spells, it would be a rough start by building your own spell book and going from there.

Use the apprentice decks, and slowly expand up from there (Apprentice sets with no mage traits < use the mages traits and stats < use the full arena with apprentice spell-books < Modify the books or even start your own once you have the rules good enough that you aren't stopping every round to read out of something and get to having some fun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I highly recommend printing out a pair of these: Spellbook Sized Codex. That way both players have easy access to the codex and can see what all the keywords do.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

GrandpaPants posted:

So I got my copy of Mage Wars in yesterday and holy poo poo is that box a lot bigger than I realized it would be. It's like Twilight Imperium sized, and three hours later I was done sleeving all the cards. I also got the Warlord v. Forcemaster expansion so I could get free shipping, but is there still a compelling reason to get another base set? I saw a few cards in the expansion that were in the base set, so I don't know if those were the more sought after cards or what. I don't even think I have the table space for two playmats.

What size sleeves do you use? Also, do the sleeved cards fit into the spellbooks, or do you not bother with that?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Nitis posted:

What size sleeves do you use? Also, do the sleeved cards fit into the spellbooks, or do you not bother with that?

Penny Sleeves usually fit into the spell books without causing too much stretching.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Nitis posted:

I use Ultra Pros and they fit no problem. :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Nitis posted:

I use penny sleeves because I'm cheap about my cards. I use these (Amazon link), which have served me well except A) their lengths aren't the most consistent and B) they have a tendency to stick together. But they're also less than a penny each, so I'm not complaining. They also fit perfectly well inside the spellbook.

On that note, the spellbooks are kind of silly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

On that note, the spellbooks are kind of silly.

They're the gimmick of the game for the most part. You want to memorize all your cards and keep them in giant stack when you play a game be our guest. For the rest of us that like the spell books; stop bitching about how they jack up the price of the expansion. Yes if they weren't there you'd save $10, it's not a big deal, and most people like them and they should be used because that's part of the experience. This isn't written directly to GrandpaPants but to all those jackasses on the BBG and other places complaining about how the spell books suck, and blah blah blah my :tenbux:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Whoops double post. Where here's my build order for the Force Master, critique away:

Map:
~ABCD
1MXXX
2XXXX
3XXXM

Turn 1 20 Mana
Move once to D2
-8 Battle Forge in zone C2
-4 Harmonize on Battle Forge

Turn 2 18 mana + 2 Mana on Battle Forge
-1 Force Ring (using the 2 on Battle Forge)
Move to C2
-6 Moonglow Amulet
-10 Galvitar Force Blade(1 less from Force Ring)

Turn 3 12 mana + 2 Mana on Battle Forge
-4 Regrowth Belt using Battle Forge
Move to B2
-6 Psi-Orb(1 less from Force Ring)
-2 Facedown spell(Bear Strength)

Turn 4 11 mana + 2 Mana on Battle Forge
-1 Gauntlets of Strength Using Battle Forge
Move to B1 or A2
-4 Dancing Scimitar (1 Less from Force Ring)
-5 Dancing Scimitar

Turn 5 12 mana + 2 Mana on Battle Forge
-3 Dancing Scimitar(using Battle Forge)
-0 Force Pull(Force Master Ability)(Quick Cast)
-3 Reveal Bear Strength
Attack with 3 Dancing Scimitars for 9 dice
Attack with Mage using Galvitar, ForceBlade using Full Action 'Double Strike' for two attacks at 7 dice each.

Any thougts on improving that? the next couple turns are about getting out defensive enchantments and getting stuff like elemental Cloak and leather boots on the mage using the Forge. Mordok's Obelisk is something I'm looking at working in during the next round, to start punish creatures that get brought out. Forcefield is definitely something that will slide under the Forcemaster pretty quickly as well, though I'm more hoping for it to be destroyed by a seeking dispel, since it would cause such a mana drain on my opponent. I have thoughtspores in the deck but I just don't seem them as being worthwhile, I mean they fly and that's decent evasion I just see them dying long before I'd be able to make use of one of them flying around casing invisible fist or sleep, I think they needed Ethereal, that would have helped. I'm not using the invisible Stalker either, he's just too expensive. The way I see it you gotta gear up the Forcemaster and then toss her into the fray letting her nature defenses and protection spells be your savoir. Really could use a decent familiar, I would have love using the Raven but he was restricted.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 31, 2013

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Agree with PaybackJack.

Also, there's something very satisfying about slamming the spellbook shut with a loud crack after you've finished your planning step, setting the book down, and giving your opponent a look like you've got their number.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I love the spellbook, sorting through 50 or so cards is a pain in the deck, even if it's ordered :(

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Looks like my copy is going to be here by next week, pretty pumped up about this.

Thinking out loud here, I'd really like to see some forward expansion mages be centric on spells that have a more general use case instead of just adding to School X and Element Y, Some dudes that are super into elements so a lot of elemental cards get spread around instead of only adding a few to dark/nature (what I assume the necro/druid will be.)

Also when was Mage Wars released in 2012? Game has no show or mention in my area, and it seems way too loving rad to not have more people up on it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The last expansion added cards specifically for the other Mages so I imagine that trend will continue. Also you'd be surprised at the latitude a 120 point spell book gives you. Having to pay double isn't as bad as it sounds. You can really spread the cards around pretty well.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Are some cards beef enough to throw in some triples? (Probably at the cost of using too many doubles?) Whats the "deck" size like since I haven't read too many things, trying to keep spoiler free so I don't have an advantage over my SO when we start playing, it really makes them hate playing something competitive if I have experience with it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Are some cards beef enough to throw in some triples? (Probably at the cost of using too many doubles?) Whats the "deck" size like since I haven't read too many things, trying to keep spoiler free so I don't have an advantage over my SO when we start playing, it really makes them hate playing something competitive if I have experience with it.

You get 120 points to make your deck. Spells not in a school your mage is trained in cost double. Some schools, which would be specifically stated on your mage card, are triple. So the amount of cards in your spellbook can vary. :)

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
No no I got that dre, I am saying how viable are opposite school spells that cost triple, like can you really rustle around with 120 points or would you see that limit choke you up if you went a little hog wild with triple point spells.

Like being priestess, if you thought one spell from dark was cool you'd be like sure, but are you likely to build in 4-6 dark spells at triple the cost without really limiting your capacity to have a fleshed out spellbook?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

No no I got that dre, I am saying how viable are opposite school spells that cost triple, like can you really rustle around with 120 points or would you see that limit choke you up if you went a little hog wild with triple point spells.

Like being priestess, if you thought one spell from dark was cool you'd be like sure, but are you likely to build in 4-6 dark spells at triple the cost without really limiting your capacity to have a fleshed out spellbook?

Some of the minor spells I find really helpful to have all the time regardless of your Mage. Thunder Rift Falcon is a great cheap flier that's worth 3 points a pop. I wouldn't go for the Angels because 12-15 levels worth of your spell book probably aren't worth that single card.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Wiped the floor with a Priestess earlier today using the Forcemaster build I described. He smartly played the enchantment that gives out elusive on her so I never had a round where she was at the mercy of Galvitar's double strike but still swinging for 7 dice with 9 more from dancing scimitars was just brutal. I let him get his clerics up and running and he popped out a pair of Unicorns after that and then I threw down Mordo's Obelisk and Suppression Orb. The beauty of the Forcemaster is that she totally forces you to play her game. The Obelisk and Orb where on the other side of the board where it would have taken him a few turns and a lot of mana to get to, meanwhile I had an Elusive Forcemaster of my own running down his Priestess, swinging with 16 dice every round. Guarding wasn't an issue because of force push/pull, he basically needed a guard in every zone, which would have been too expensive from the upkeeps. Once he finally decided to start throwing everything at her I had 4 armor on her from leather boots/flame armor/cloak and 2 regen from the belt. He threw 18 dice at me in one turn and I only ended up with 8 damage total from it. I never even bothered playing Forcefield though I could have. Most of the time my actions were spent Force pulling and attacking him. I wish there was more equipment I could run but I'm pretty sure all my slots are full and there just aren't that many options yet. I wish she could have used the armor with a damage barrier that would be been amazing, oh well.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Not super pumped about another creature spam mage but this is how it has to be, druid sounds interesting as some kind of anti-turtle arena controller.

edit: gently caress yes Bees and Tree people

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 4, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't really mind another creature heavy Mage if the Necromancer is versatile like the Wizard, or has an interesting style like the Warlord. Druid definitely sounds interesting as well, although given that the Warlord already has a bit of trouble controlling the board as it is, I don't know how well a potentially slower Mage is going to fare. I guess we'll have to see how much of the battlefield the Druid actually needs to control. A non-zone exclusive spell that spreads across the battlefield without requiring the Mage to do more could be very interesting. I love the art in this game as well.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I mind the creature heavy casters because I am annoyed to no end once a zone hits capacity, I'm still playing with the apprentice ruleset so there is some stretch room on the board but that poo poo goes out the window after that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I mind the creature heavy casters because I am annoyed to no end once a zone hits capacity, I'm still playing with the apprentice ruleset so there is some stretch room on the board but that poo poo goes out the window after that.

The limit on Zone exclusive stuff really isn't that bad. Other than the Warlord most Mages aren't using more than 4 zone exclusive cards anyway, and if you are that's not a good idea. Why are you still playing apprentice mode? Are you just demoing the game a lot?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Holy poo poo, those mages sound amazing.

Also, I have a good feeling they are going to introduce a poison school of magic, since some previewed cards have shown a new type of damage. Bet it'll be the necromacer's second school. :)

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
PaybackJack, just wanted to note that your Dancing Scimitar strategy doesn't work. While it's Autonomous and doesn't take up an equipment slot, you still can't have more than one of a card with the same name attached to a single object. So you can't have like 2 Mage Wands, etc., because they have the same name.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

sighnoceros posted:

PaybackJack, just wanted to note that your Dancing Scimitar strategy doesn't work. While it's Autonomous and doesn't take up an equipment slot, you still can't have more than one of a card with the same name attached to a single object. So you can't have like 2 Mage Wands, etc., because they have the same name.

Ahh thought that just applied to enchantments.

Nope, right there in the rulebook. Well drat.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 5, 2013

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

The limit on Zone exclusive stuff really isn't that bad. Other than the Warlord most Mages aren't using more than 4 zone exclusive cards anyway, and if you are that's not a good idea. Why are you still playing apprentice mode? Are you just demoing the game a lot?

There is no limit on just stuffing a zone to the gills with god drat woodland creatures though, and yes demos out the wazoo. I was just surprised to find out there is no set limit to how many god drat things (exclusives aside) can be in a zone, there is purposefully no limit otherwise it would impede on how people play, but they are looking to combat zone stuffing by introducing more cards that have zone based effects.

Also silly as gently caress me thought when you put an enchantment on an enemy mage they (not the caster) had to pay the upkeep, god drat I am silly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

There is no limit on just stuffing a zone to the gills with god drat woodland creatures though, and yes demos out the wazoo. I was just surprised to find out there is no set limit to how many god drat things (exclusives aside) can be in a zone, there is purposefully no limit otherwise it would impede on how people play, but they are looking to combat zone stuffing by introducing more cards that have zone based effects.

Also silly as gently caress me thought when you put an enchantment on an enemy mage they (not the caster) had to pay the upkeep, god drat I am silly.

Yeah, it's interesting that the didn't use the smaller card size. I guess because then they'd need to make custom sized spell books instead of just custom art but it would have made a lot more sense given that most of the creatures don't have a lot of text on them.

Also I forgot to update, the deck builder is sort of available. The link isn't there yet, there might still be some things broken and the Forcemaster/Warlord expansion hasn't been added. Pretty functional though and while you can't save the deck you can still export it to a text file.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 5, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

Also I forgot to update, the deck builder is sort of available. The link isn't there yet, there might still be some things broken and the Forcemaster/Warlord expansion hasn't been added. Pretty functional though and while you can't save the deck you can still export it to a text file.

I was able to save a deck. Are you logged into the site with an account?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I was able to save a deck. Are you logged into the site with an account?

Oh good, they got that available. Online submission is still greyed out, but that's not the that bad.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I'd like to try this game out with a couple of my friends, but both live pretty far away. I was just curious if anyone knows if there's a way to play it via Skype or some other means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've never done Skype gaming so I'm not familiar with the specific logistics of it, but I do know of people using Skype to play this game online for that very reason, so dive in. :)

• Locked thread