Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
If one of you has a webcam that's about all you'd need. Honestly the easiest thing might be to use that online D&D/RPG tabletop interface, Maptools. I'm sure there are more of them out there. Just give each other a copy of your spell book before the game so you can make sure nobody's cheating. Any good tabletop emulator will have square based maps that you can add tokens to and an in game dice roller, just use 1/2=0, 3/4=1/1* and 5/6= 2/2*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks! I'll probably try this out in the next couple of weeks and let you all know how it worked.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Thanks, I'm definitely curious. The prospect has me thinking about how to run a possible SA Mage Wars tournament. It'd definitely be difficult, but the idea excites me, and Skype may be the only way to really make it work.

...unless we ran a massive 8-10 mage simmultaneous free-for-all forum-based Let's Play thread with a 12x16 board...... :black101:

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I actually wouldn't mind if someone wanted to try this out with me. I've only tried it once with an Apprentice game where both of us just randomly cast what we thought was worth casting without much strategy. I think we got the rules down for the most part, but I'm sure we messed up some things. Mostly, it would be nice to see the more advanced strategy in action in order to get a deeper appreciation. Anyway, I'm in EST, and weeknights after 8 or weekend mornings work for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I got to play Mage Wars for the first time today, and apparently met some people who are involved with the game's creation (John Rogers, the Director of Operations, and another guy whose name escapes me because he didn't give me a fancy business card), in a tiny game shop in an even tinier town in Indiana while driving through for the weekend. Great timing on my part, apparently, since it scored me a promo card that they said wasn't released yet*! Anyway, I thought the game was solid and after talking with my friends about it I think it might gain some traction with my group, so I'm looking to order it. What's the best way to go about getting playsets of every current available card, still buying two core sets?

*I don't know if this is true, the card was a 4-cost Quick spell neck equip that gave you +3 channel so someone feel free to confirm this so I can feel good/bad about myself

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Countblanc posted:

*I don't know if this is true, the card was a 4-cost Quick spell neck equip that gave you +3 channel so someone feel free to confirm this so I can feel good/bad about myself

That sounds awesome, can you post a picture of it? Definitely a new card.

I think two core sets is the way to go. If you buy the spellbook packs, and first 2 core spell tomes you end up paying like $10 less and thats worth another board, and extra tokens/markers.

Here's what I'd order:
Core set x2
Forcemaster vs. Warlord expansion
Extra marker pack

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Countblanc posted:

Nope, that card isn't out. Actually it sounds completely insane! :stare:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yeah, it's hard enough not running Moonglow Amulet with the Warlock, it would be downright impossible if that actually does that.

Although I could easily see it having a keyword that restricts it to demo decks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I just played my first game, using the starter Beastmaster (me) vs. Warlock, and I thought it was fun. I imagine it is more fun if I had any semblance of strategy or did some deckbuilding, but there were a lot of interesting choices throughout the game. I spent too much of the game trying to keep my bear alive and buffed, when I feel I should have used that mana to spam more animals, but I felt that rolling a bunch of dice at once was a lot better than having a lot of attacks all the time. It also did not help that I had a lot of bad rolls at pretty critical moments, especially for my super useless Bitterwood Fox.

But I dunno if that was that matchup or what, but there was not a whole lot of movement, as it pretty much devolved into a melee brawl really quickly and stayed that way for the rest of the game. Am I...not supposed to send my Beastmaster into the fray?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
There's no wrong way to go about it, regardless of which mage you're playing. If both you and and your opponent are primarily built around hitting things in the face with creatures or weapons, it's entirely possible that you won't see a lot of movement after the initial clash, as you said. Other strategies might employ more ranged attackers or attack spells, with more focus on keeping your mage at arms reach of your oppoenent so can't quite land a shot on you.

Those kinds of options really open up when you start exploring your own custom spellbooks as opposed to the stock lists that the game provides.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

So I just played my first game, using the starter Beastmaster (me) vs. Warlock, and I thought it was fun. I imagine it is more fun if I had any semblance of strategy or did some deckbuilding, but there were a lot of interesting choices throughout the game. I spent too much of the game trying to keep my bear alive and buffed, when I feel I should have used that mana to spam more animals, but I felt that rolling a bunch of dice at once was a lot better than having a lot of attacks all the time. It also did not help that I had a lot of bad rolls at pretty critical moments, especially for my super useless Bitterwood Fox.

But I dunno if that was that matchup or what, but there was not a whole lot of movement, as it pretty much devolved into a melee brawl really quickly and stayed that way for the rest of the game. Am I...not supposed to send my Beastmaster into the fray?

No, you can do it either way. The Beastmaster has that extra die for his attack so he definitely can get in a fight. With his ability to crap out little critters too he doesn't lose a lot of steam that most people normally lose when they have to take the time to Summon something. My friend does the Beastmaster rush pretty well and not having to stop and summon something to keep making creatures is really helpful. He'll usually drop the lair pretty close and then let it build while dropping a level 1 each turn and still hitting me in the face with the Beastmaster's 4 attack dice. I haven't actually see him use the Staff of Beasts and play a less aggressive, more controlling Beastmaster but I think it could be a fun build.

It's interesting because with all the other characters I've seen him play, the Beastmaster is the only one that he's almost always on the attack with, and it's also the one I've seen him do the best with.

Interesting choices in a game is why is this game is so drat amazing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Nope, that card isn't out. Actually it sounds completely insane! :stare:

My lack of familiarity with the terminology/symbols is on full display here, because as it turns out that isn't what the card actually does (they didn't actually bother to explain it to me, haha). It's much, much worse than I originally said, but here's a picture anyway:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Countblanc posted:

My lack of familiarity with the terminology/symbols is on full display here, because as it turns out that isn't what the card actually does (they didn't actually bother to explain it to me, haha). It's much, much worse than I originally said, but here's a picture anyway:

Actually, that would go perfect in my Priestess deck. Much easier to work into the build order as well.

Thanks for the picture, can't wait to get my hands on that promo.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 15, 2013

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm terrible and haven't even considered posting the other OP promos they've had so far. The most recent kits just started showing up in stores in the last week or so I think. I'll try to remember to pull them out and post some pics of the other new cards, of which there are 3.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Merauder posted:

I'm terrible and haven't even considered posting the other OP promos they've had so far. The most recent kits just started showing up in stores in the last week or so I think. I'll try to remember to pull them out and post some pics of the other new cards, of which there are 3.

It sounds like they're answering my criticisms with the new organized playkit as it's supposed to have double the amount of different cards as the first one which only had a single new card in it. Granted Galador, Protector of Straywood is a freaking awesome card...and I'll admit I like the alternate art Minor Heal and Dispel more than the original art.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Can someone explain why the Meditation Amulet is worth playing? It seems like spending a full action to get 3 mana is not as good as playing some other spell that requires a full action.

Countblanc posted:

I got to play Mage Wars for the first time today, and apparently met some people who are involved with the game's creation (John Rogers, the Director of Operations, and another guy whose name escapes me because he didn't give me a fancy business card), in a tiny game shop in an even tinier town in Indiana while driving through for the weekend. Great timing on my part, apparently, since it scored me a promo card that they said wasn't released yet*! Anyway, I thought the game was solid and after talking with my friends about it I think it might gain some traction with my group, so I'm looking to order it. What's the best way to go about getting playsets of every current available card, still buying two core sets?

What part of Indiana? I'm in SW Ohio.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

medchem posted:

Can someone explain why the Meditation Amulet is worth playing? It seems like spending a full action to get 3 mana is not as good as playing some other spell that requires a full action.

What part of Indiana? I'm in SW Ohio.

Marion, which is about 30 minutes south from Fort Wayne. Like I said though I was just driving through, I actually live up in SE Michigan.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

medchem posted:

It's not for all Mages or playstyles but I could see using it as a Wizard or a Priestess, maybe even as a Warlord. Definitely never for Forcemaster, probably not for Beastmaster or Warlock either. Any Mage that tosses all their mana into a creature coming off their lair could take use of it though. It pays for itself a lot quicker than Moonglow which is nice. You can't channel with it, but this would be far less crippling if someone Dissolved/Exploded it on you.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Wouldn't be surprised if it was great for the Necro or Druid, either. :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there any word on prize support for the Origins and GenCon events? Most of my friends have a history of making bank on competitive games (I don't, however) and I pretty much have to dangle cash prizes in front of their faces before they'll look at a game. Unfortunately the most I can find is that the game has very little tournament presence currently.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Is there any word on prize support for the Origins and GenCon events? Most of my friends have a history of making bank on competitive games (I don't, however) and I pretty much have to dangle cash prizes in front of their faces before they'll look at a game. Unfortunately the most I can find is that the game has very little tournament presence currently.

They just released their second prize support kit and I think they're still trying to figure out how exactly to work it. Looks like they're more in support of League play than a single tournament, which given how long the game can take makes sense. However I'm sure there will be a multiday tournament for it at those events, probably with some promo cards, product, trophy, and maybe they took my advice and made felt mats instead of the giant hard board.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
So this game looks completely amazing from the rules PDF, and that fact its mostly just a word soup of things I love in TradGames, needless to say I've got a 2 player set in the mail.

So overeager question, if we amassed enough cards, and had roughly a million hours to kill, would this game be draft-able, or is the card design too dependent on being tied to the schools/and combos to make draft a viable way to build for this game?

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Anti-Citizen posted:

So this game looks completely amazing from the rules PDF, and that fact its mostly just a word soup of things I love in TradGames, needless to say I've got a 2 player set in the mail.

So overeager question, if we amassed enough cards, and had roughly a million hours to kill, would this game be draft-able, or is the card design too dependent on being tied to the schools/and combos to make draft a viable way to build for this game?

If you are playing with only a single set draft play is the only way to really keep it fair in some ways, as people may want to monopolize all the copies of a card (6 copies for level 1s are allowed, 4 copies for other) and the set doesn't include enough for both spellbooks to be identical (which wouldn't work anyway with different mages) but you wouldn't be able in all cases to share every single thing (someone wants more walls, more creatures, etc.)

You wouldn't need to strictly draft the entirety of your spell books out that hardcore, but for the few categories of cards that may have conflicting card picks you will probably want to draft for them.

[Equipment*/Conjurations*/Creatures/Enchantments/Incantations/Attacks] out of the 6 types you'd only need to draft on the starred types really. Everything else would most likely be curved to hell by which mage you pick that you wouldn't have to really get into it (due to mage training point limits).

For your scenario of pooling multiple sets together and just having a straight up card for card draft to build a deck on the spot, it'd honestly go a bit slow and there would be almost no reason to draft if each player had their own set for everything, they would be able to build just about everything (even though they may not be able to max the limit on card copies.) Honestly the best option if you just want to build a new spell book every game, throw some bucks together and get you and a bud or whoever that is also mad into the game their own copy so in your spare time you can build a few decks (slot 2 ready decks into books, maybe even bring a few pre-stacked decks to stock books with.) and you'll have all the fun of deck building constantly without having to slow everything to a crawl to draft cards one by one and spend a good 30 minutes (if you are fast) to get your cards ready to play not to mention running up a game.

I hope I have answered your question somewhere in there, and possible secondary questions.

Game is super fun though, even though I am a god drat idiot savant (at losing) and can't build a deck for poo poo, SO keeps knocking my dick in the dirt with a literally 6 card modified and otherwise default warlock book, while I keep trying to ring the bells and blow the whistles and loving flounder all over the place. I just seem to get ahead of myself a lot of the time and don't consider how hosed I could be in a few minutes from incantations or from what creatures are being fielded.

Although from a game play perspective, it could be interesting to have smaller level limit spellbooks and just hash out a drafted up book to just play around with versatility over being completely prepared. Disregard like this whole god drat post if that is what you were going for, I am pretty sure I missed the boat on this one.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 29, 2013

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
A much shorter version of the above: Yes, I think drafting is possible, but not necessary. If you're working with a small core card pool it could be beneficial if you can't just agree to split the 4-ofs that the game comes with, but that's about it.

I think to do it, you'd need to divide out the desired card pool by perhaps spell level? Randomize each pile, then deal out face-down "packs" of 15 cards or something, consisting of maybe (and totally just spitballing here) 8 level 1-2 spells, 5 level 3-4 spells, 2 level 5+ cards. Then give each player a pack of 15 cards and do an 8 man draft like you would in a TCG, and set a 75 spellbook point limit or something, then play a tournament.

...I actually like this idea the more I think about it!

e: After doing some actual math, if you used a single base set you could do 13 card "packs" with 3 packs per player and be drafting all but 10 cars in the game. Math actually works out the same if you add in the FM vs. WL expansion, just ups the pack size to 22 cards. HMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm...

Merauder fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 29, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think the real restriction on deck building would be the Mages themselves, or more rather their magic spheres/training. So maybe the easiest way to do it would be to build a "draft" Mage. A mage that has no training in any discipline so everything costs double, has like 30 life, 10 Channeling, and the skills Melee +1, and Full Turn Action: Gain 3 mana.

Then for the actual draft I think I would probably just draft the level 2+ Spells all at one time. There should be enough level 1 spells for 4 people to at least get one copy of each.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

PaybackJack posted:

I think the real restriction on deck building would be the Mages themselves, or more rather their magic spheres/training. So maybe the easiest way to do it would be to build a "draft" Mage. A mage that has no training in any discipline so everything costs double, has like 30 life, 10 Channeling, and the skills Melee +1, and Full Turn Action: Gain 3 mana.

Then for the actual draft I think I would probably just draft the level 2+ Spells all at one time. There should be enough level 1 spells for 4 people to at least get one copy of each.

Yeah my only really major concern was if the mages skew whatever you want so far that you're picking only your schools anyway there's not much interaction in the draft. Pick the mages before hand that would happen, after the fact you'd need a lot of redundancy in case more then like 2 people went the same route.

Either way, it looks like I stumbled onto something interesting which is cool. It should arrive either later today or tomorrow so I can't wait to get some noob games in.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
New Spell Tome expansion info released!

Alternate versions of existing classes, new spells, new conditions! :woop:

http://www.critshappen.net/2013/05/05/mage-wars-announcement-conquest-of-kumanjaro/

Due out in June.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Merauder posted:

http://www.critshappen.net/2013/05/05/mage-wars-announcement-conquest-of-kumanjaro/

Due out in June.

That K on the box really looks like an H to me. Super excited for more cards and I'm glad this isn't just the core spell tome for the Warlord and Forcemaster. That said I am a little sad we're seeing alternate versions of old stuff instead of new mages. I would have preferred the Necromancer vs Druid expansion to come out first. Alternate version of stuff we already have isn't going to change the deck style up enough since the Mages don't particularly have strong synergy will all the stuff in their deck.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I really hope they are careful with just throwing in status tokens for expansions, I'm sure we could use a few more to really flesh out the usefulness of them although if you are aiming for the long con they are pretty gnarly already.

It would just be a bit of a pain in the rear end to want to field a spider deck in the future or something and be like gently caress gotta make sure I pack my loving bags because I need the loving web tokens and all this poo poo that wouldn't really apply to anyone else. Stuck & Bleed seem like fine additions though, just don't get crazy ArWo.

Also that expansion is dropping next month? Is that hitting with the Druid V. Necro? or is that still in the books for testing and what have you. I am all for the conquest and DruV.Nec expansions but I'm on the fence about Force and War, on top of my partner just not caring for them as mages it might go missed. I'd like the warlord some if not to get more earth spells because I am dying that they haven't planned around introducing elements a bit more rapidly because it seems like a huge waste that the core book can only reliably build an air and fire mage (at the cost of anyone else wanting to play getting to pick the warlock.)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I really hope they are careful with just throwing in status tokens for expansions, I'm sure we could use a few more to really flesh out the usefulness of them although if you are aiming for the long con they are pretty gnarly already.

It would just be a bit of a pain in the rear end to want to field a spider deck in the future or something and be like gently caress gotta make sure I pack my loving bags because I need the loving web tokens and all this poo poo that wouldn't really apply to anyone else. Stuck & Bleed seem like fine additions though, just don't get crazy ArWo.

Also that expansion is dropping next month? Is that hitting with the Druid V. Necro? or is that still in the books for testing and what have you. I am all for the conquest and DruV.Nec expansions but I'm on the fence about Force and War, on top of my partner just not caring for them as mages it might go missed. I'd like the warlord some if not to get more earth spells because I am dying that they haven't planned around introducing elements a bit more rapidly because it seems like a huge waste that the core book can only reliably build an air and fire mage (at the cost of anyone else wanting to play getting to pick the warlock.)

There are quite a few earth spells in ForceMaster vs Warlord so if you want to build earth you'll need to pick that up, not to mention quite a few other nice spells for the starting Mages. I think you'll be more interested in the other Mages once you see them and play around with them. I was initally unimpressed with the Forcemaster until I started to see more of her stuff, and the was even more true for the Warlord.

I remember them saying to me in an email back in November that the action marker set was supposed to have more dice and tokens in it but it didn't end up having them. I don't really want to buy a new core set but I would like more of those. Now I just recommend everyone buy two Core Sets, you'll basically save the money you'd end up spending on the extra spell tomes, action markers and the extra spell books.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Merauder posted:

Due out in June.

drat, those are some cool spells! :stare:

Also thank god, Armor, melee and range +1 tokens. I definitely need those cause I always forget. :shobon:

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Anyone know how the Explode incantation interacts with the Forcefield enchantment?

I cast Explode, it resolves. Target equipment blows up then it moves to make the flame attack. Does the Forcefield intervene and cancel the attack? I've been told that Explode causes Block and Reverse Attack to fizzle (since it has the Unavoidable trait) but it bypasses the Forcefield since it's an incantation and not an actual attack (since it has no attack type icon on the attack bar).

The way we've been playing is that it does bypass the Forcefield, as the explosion would come from inside the forcefield. (Start resolving the Explode attack from the avoid attack step, skipping the forcefield trigger between declare and avoid steps).

Otherwise the game has been a treat to play and demonstrate at my FLGS. I do hope they make a playmat version of the arena board with larger squares. It would really help with multiplayer as the squares tend to get pretty crowded even on 1v1 games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't think the damage from explode counts as an attack, so forcefield should have no effect on it.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Molnija posted:

Anyone know how the Explode incantation interacts with the Forcefield enchantment?

I cast Explode, it resolves. Target equipment blows up then it moves to make the flame attack. Does the Forcefield intervene and cancel the attack? I've been told that Explode causes Block and Reverse Attack to fizzle (since it has the Unavoidable trait) but it bypasses the Forcefield since it's an incantation and not an actual attack (since it has no attack type icon on the attack bar).

I believe that's wrong. Check this wording from Explode:

Explode posted:

When you cast Explode, choose an equipment object attached to target Mage. X = 6 + the equipment's casting cost. Destroy the chosen equipment. Then, Explode makes the above flame attack against the target mage.

Forcefield posted:

Whenever you are attacked, before the Avoid Attack Step, you must remove a Forcefield token. If you do, that attack is canceled.

The equipment is destroyed. Explode makes the flame attack. During the Avoid Attack Step, Forcefield attempts to remove a token. If one is removed, the Explode attack is canceled. If a token is not removed, the attack procedes as normal. :eng101:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I believe that's wrong. Check this wording from Explode:

The equipment is destroyed. Explode makes the flame attack. During the Avoid Attack Step, Forcefield attempts to remove a token. If one is removed, the Explode attack is canceled. If a token is not removed, the attack procedes as normal. :eng101:

Welp, that's what I get for being too lazy to see if the card actually contained the "attack" wording or not.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know how long this will last, but Amazon has a deal on Mage Wars for $38.37 shipped if anyone needed a second set. Or a first set. It's a third party seller, so again, who knows how many copies they have?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I played a game as the Warlord against my friend's Beastmaster. It was by far the shortest game of Mage Wars I've ever played. It was over by round 5. I just put down the dwarf sniper and the archer tower, buffing myself and the sniper with Eagle Eye. Also put down 2 Mana Flowers and a Hand of Bim-Shala.

My friend has faced my Warlord before, so he dropped lair and moved as fast as possible as he could to my end of the board, quick casting a creature every turn.

I ignored his pets and spent all of my attacks blasting his mage, making liberal use of Hurl Boulder as well. I was rolling well, although I hit none of the stun effects. Eventually, his group of 3-4 beasts got to my dwarf and quickly dispatched him. I had like 12-14 damage on me, but he was all the way down to around 7 life left at this point. I used Hand of Bim-Shala for +1 melee, quick cast that one new incantation for another +2 melee, and was able to get the killing blow with 7 dice. If I hand't, I don't think I would have died, but I'd be on death's door. My mana was totally spent too.

It was a pretty good beat fest. :)

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 18, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Conquest of Kumanjaro spoilers here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/976008/conquest-of-kumanjaro-spoilers

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This looks neat, but since you can play from your entire 'deck', are there issues with combos ending the game really quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

victrix posted:

This looks neat, but since you can play from your entire 'deck', are there issues with combos ending the game really quickly?

Not really. There's no three cards that when used together say I win. There's a lot of counterspell type stuff that prevents anything from getting out of hand. You could call it hard meta, but it's actually pretty thematic and what makes the game enjoyable is the back and forth nature of spell casting, so I don't feel bad about running these "meta" cards in my deck because it doesn't feel like I'm trying to beat a specific deck type.

• Locked thread