Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Looks like Mage Wars is now on OCTGN. I haven't tried it yet, but here's the link:

http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/wordpress/magewars/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Just picked up Conquest of Kumanjaro. While the Beastmaster and Priest are theoretically the focus, there's something for everyone and it seems to me that the Wizard got the sexiest new stuff. Wizard Tower could totally change someone's strategy, and those Gargoyle Sentries seem to be ideal to defend them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I haven't been able to sit down and play with anyone in months now, makes me sad. Saw CoK was out and haven't had the drive to pick it up yet due to how little I'm playing. Booooooo.

Glad to hear it's awesome, though!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
We've been trying to get in a game every Sunday, Kumanjaro is really going to revitalize my interest because after a couple weeks, I've been very uninspired to build a new deck. I want Beastmaster 2.0 and the new Mages to play around with.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I think with the new priest cards, I will finally build and play a priest deck. The fact that his Holy Avenger triggers off people attacking your shrines is huge.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Some Errata for the game, including nerfs:

http://magewars.com/jsite/item/159-tournament-rules-and-errata

Not sure temples are even worth running now

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Some Errata for the game, including nerfs:

http://magewars.com/jsite/item/159-tournament-rules-and-errata

Not sure temples are even worth running now

Hurts, but I was having success with the Priestess long before I started spamming Hand of Bim-Shalla everywhere. I think giant gently caress you army is still the way to go with her and the temple strategy was pretty good.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The game has arrived and I got in a pair of games last night with the apprentice decks (wanted to jump in whole hog but my friend hasn't been sitting around forums theorycrafting for the past month like I have). Really enjoyed the game, but feeling a little down initially -- it feels a bit like chess in that it's got enough complexities that you really are going to want to play mostly with people who steep themselves in it and, if you become one of those people, you're largely going to pants people you introduce to it, even if you give them your best book to use on their first game or two.

That said, I'm really impressed.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Memnaelar posted:

The game has arrived and I got in a pair of games last night with the apprentice decks (wanted to jump in whole hog but my friend hasn't been sitting around forums theorycrafting for the past month like I have). Really enjoyed the game, but feeling a little down initially -- it feels a bit like chess in that it's got enough complexities that you really are going to want to play mostly with people who steep themselves in it and, if you become one of those people, you're largely going to pants people you introduce to it, even if you give them your best book to use on their first game or two.

That said, I'm really impressed.

Yeah, we're trying to generate some more interest in the game in our area. It's tough because I live in Taiwan and there isn't a company doing translations into Chinese like Netrunner and Summoner Wars are. I was also a bit disappointed in the Kumanjaro expansion. The alternate Mages aren't as interesting as I hoped and there wasn't a hole lot else in the pack that made me want to run out and starting building a new deck. I did try a new Beastmistress deck but immediately ran up against my friend's Iron Golem based Warlord deck so her ability was useless.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Well, my game of choice for the last several years just got axed, so I may be getting to spend more time playing Mage Wars again if I can talk it up to some players again, which is a nice silver lining. Time to pick up Conquest I guess.

Also really sad I didn't pick up all the sweet new spellbooks and the like from GenCon.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

drat, did they say why? I'm guessing sales weren't that good?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

drat, did they say why? I'm guessing sales weren't that good?

Sales have been fine, as I understand it from Cryptozoic's end (the developer/publisher). Seems to be just a licencing thing, with Blizzard not wanting to keep it going; maybe because they have Hearthstone now, maybe any number of other factors, but at the end of the day we don't have any for sure info beyond that announcement yesterday.

But less about other games, more about Mage Wars! Speaking of GenCon, was anyone else there? I saw they had nice big playmats for the game board laid out on tables (like a giant mousepad for those unfamiliar), which would be awesome to have seeing as it's much more portable. Hopefully they sell them at some point.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah those mats looked great.

I nabbed some of the promo cards, the CoolStuffInc ones were neato

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Merauder posted:

But less about other games, more about Mage Wars! Speaking of GenCon, was anyone else there? I saw they had nice big playmats for the game board laid out on tables (like a giant mousepad for those unfamiliar), which would be awesome to have seeing as it's much more portable. Hopefully they sell them at some point.

I read they were planning on selling them but the price they were asking was pretty ridiculous at like $40+ USD a mat. I understand it's big, basically the size of two MTG mats, but those go for like $10 a piece. I just recently had a custom mat for Summoner Wars(each mat being half the folding board) made for me from a place in China and they were a bit under $8 a mat. So I'll go through them again for Mage Wars. A nice playmat for this game would be great, I just don't know how it will work costing the same amount or more as the game though.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
For portability, I've actually got my full components set (tokens, dice, board, etc) tucked into the Forcemaster vs Warlord box. The original board is the only thing that's too big to transport in a small box, so instead of that I use 12 squares from my Streets of Malifaux terrain set. The squares are slightly smaller so it can be a tight fit for busy matches, but it's worth it for the ability to throw the base game and a couple of spellbooks into a bag and go.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I understand it's big, basically the size of two MTG mats, but those go for like $10 a piece. I just recently had a custom mat for Summoner Wars(each mat being half the folding board) made for me from a place in China and they were a bit under $8 a mat.

drat, really? The only place I could find that made custom mats at around the size of the board wanted 50 bucks :(

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

drat, really? The only place I could find that made custom mats at around the size of the board wanted 50 bucks :(

Yeah, I guess it's a bit of a morally grey area though. I'll buy the official stuff to support the company but a lot of times these guys are too busy developing new stuff and promoting to work on stuff like this and it's a bit more fun to go the community route and print off custom ones that people post online. Some guys have done some amazing custom playmats for all sorts of games. Some of the custom ones for Star Wars and Netrunner have designs that show you where to put your cards which makes teaching the game a lot easier. Obviously Mage Wars wouldn't need that, but if I was a game designer I would probably look into a cheap paper mat for new players to put down instead of just showing them a diagram in the rulebook.

Also the playmats are pretty darn thick based on the Summoner Wars ones so I'm not sure how often I'll want to haul them around, I might just eat the cost on them and donate it to my local store since I almost always play there.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So the upcoming (any week now) release of Druid vs. Necromancer hasn't done anything to, um, revive interest in this thread?

I'm really excited about the new non-living block for the Necromancer (although it's more hate for the Forcemaster, which I'd like to play more). In general, I've been impressed by how each set shifts the predominant thinking a bit. Anyone seen anything in the previews that caught their eye?

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Interest will be revived once people get their hands on it and can post the goods and bads. There just isn't much to talk about by looking at the few cards they release on facebook.

Super hype for it though, been pretty eh about the first 2 expansions but looking forward to DvN. Also hype for that Paladin, Holy/War would be sick and give me a reason to pick up the seemingly underwhelming forcemaster/warlord. I am all about that holy magic, and knights out the wazoo.

DvN Preview: nothing jumps out at me at the moment but I am pretty hype about the Necro just carrying around a book of the dead, which is lending itself well to the Nec just being a walking cloud of undead.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yeah, the Kumanjaro expansion really didn't add anything to the game it felt like. I looked at the cards once I got them tossed them in the Binder and only tried to use the Huntress a few times. A new player I just found rolled my Forcemaster with an offensive Priest deck though, he stacked a ton of fire tokens on my Mage and only used those Bloodthirsty Direwolves, he continuously targeted my Mage with that drat Temple and kept rolling Stun which pretty much locked down my Forcemaster. I beat him in our second game with my Priestess but it was close. He used a Wand with Force Push and Armor Wards to protect his wand, and everyturn would push, and attack. He didn't use a lair but did use a Forge and stacked armor and other stuff on his Priest as well. It was brutal!

The Necro/Druid definitely looks like it will be a great addition. I love the Tome, it's fantastic and thematically the idea of a Necromancer just wandering across the field summoning zombies is great. Much different than having a static lair and pulling stuff to that point.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Necro looks fun, but I definitely want to use a lot of his death spells to buff my warlock tome :getin:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 8, 2013

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I definitely agree that half the excitement of Necro for me is seeing it buff my Warlock book. And hey, the Druid stuff means more Water Wizards, right? ;-)

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I haven't kept up in playing too much with my partner and stuff, but we picked it up again recently cause I play board games on my birthday like a nerd, and I've been dying for a card game and said what am I doing Mage Wars is right there. I am just the worst at games because I refuse to acknowledge all the happenings on a board at any time, and just get rolled because I keep putting off getting armor for another turn cause maybe I should have another creature out and I could buff someone.

Priestess is my go to though at the moment, only thing I can beat the SO's Warlock with. Curses are god drat brutal and they are a never ending stream of annoying the piss out of me. Gonna build a Wizard though and have my luck with that, I really want to use Beastmaster but I've literally never done more than half health damage on Warlock with em.

Also am I correct to assume once the Female Wizard & Female Warlock drop, we are going to see double backs on the mage gender alts, and get the Female Warlord, and Male Forcemaster? I kind of like the idea of just having the alternative version of each mage, it also seems like a good way for them to get out content between expansions as they don't have to balance as hard since they are using half a character to begin with.

Necromancer is gonna be so tight though for real, it is the loving most adorable poo poo that you can make whatever the hell into a zombie, turn your whole book into slow, undead, bloodthirsty turds. Ichthellid sounds pretty nasty too

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Pretty sure they posted the art for the male forcemaster somewhere a while back. After the next alt gender box, Siren and Paladin will be coming out. :)

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
So has anyone else picked up Necromancer vs Druid yet? I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet, but both decks look like exactly what I was hoping for.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking into this game; it seems like something right up my alley. It fixes the two problems I had with Magic: random draws/land, and rare cards. A good 2/3rds or a typical magic deck will be taken up by land/land management/card draw/etc and the spells that you get to actually play end up having 4 copies to reduce the randomness. In the end out of a 60 card deck you have maybe 10 unique spells that aren't dealing with resource management. I also love D&D and the idea of a card game with vancian spellcasting just tickles my fancy; we used to do 20th level wizard duels until we realized how easy it was to break 3.5 D&D.

I have a few questions. Is there a limit on duplicate cards in a spellbook? Basically is there any reason to have to buy multiple copies of expansions to make "competitive" spell books? Which expansions are worth getting?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rutibex posted:

I have a few questions. Is there a limit on duplicate cards in a spellbook? Basically is there any reason to have to buy multiple copies of expansions to make "competitive" spell books? Which expansions are worth getting?

Yes, there's limits on spells. Most are 4 per spellbook like most major TCGs. Then there's some that are tagged with [Legendary/Epic- can't remember which it is off the top of my head] which is more restricted to 1 or 2 copies, if I remember right. Admittedly I haven't been able to play my own Mage Wars stuff in months sadly, so I'm a bit rusty on the details.

As for which to get, I picked up each of the original Spell Tomes, but for the cost it's almost worth considering a 2nd base game since you get all the extra tokens and books and EVERYTHING with it for another 20-30$. The Forcemaster/Warlord add-on was really great; I enjoyed both Mages a lot, as well as many of the spells it added. I haven't picked up Conquest or the new Druid/Necro pack due to aforementioned lack of playing lately, but spoilers I've seen for cards in all of them look like none of them would be a bad buy.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Yes, there is. I believe basic spells can have 6 copies in a spellbook, everything else is 4. I really don't think you need to buy any extra copies of the expansions, they are pretty generous with giving minimum of 4 copies of every card it feels like, even the huge spells that'd you'd probably run 2 at most.

I don't have Druid VS Necromancer, but Warlord/Forcemaster is loving awesome. Warlord is a blast to play, and there's so many routes you can take with him. You can build him as a leader of a goblin army, you can put tons of buildings all across the field, or just have the Warlord himself kick-rear end with his awesome Earth spells.

Forcemaster is really cool if you want a finesse style wizard. Tricky to play since she barely uses creatures, but really powerful. Really gives the feeling of control deck play like from Magic.

I have Conquest but haven't gotten it to table yet. :effort: Cards look hype as hell though

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Rutibex posted:

I was looking into this game; it seems like something right up my alley. It fixes the two problems I had with Magic: random draws/land, and rare cards. A good 2/3rds or a typical magic deck will be taken up by land/land management/card draw/etc and the spells that you get to actually play end up having 4 copies to reduce the randomness. In the end out of a 60 card deck you have maybe 10 unique spells that aren't dealing with resource management. I also love D&D and the idea of a card game with vancian spellcasting just tickles my fancy; we used to do 20th level wizard duels until we realized how easy it was to break 3.5 D&D.

I just got this game over the holidays and only got one game in, but I really like it. The rulebook does a good job at describing the duplicate question, but I believe that you can have 6 copies of level one spells, and 4 copies of any spells with a level higher than one. The deck building is really fun. I have spent way too much time building spellbooks, and I have not have had any issue with running out of expansion cards. The expansions even include some extras of the 'essential' coreset cards like dispel, but those core set cards are going to be the ones you'll be wanting more of first. That shouldn't occur until a few months in, and can be fixed by either buying the spell tomes or a new core set. I have decks built for all of the mages I have, and just have a sheet where I note the 'shared' cards between spellbooks that I'll need to move around when the time comes. There aren't too many of them.

I wouldn't worry about competitiveness yet. Find folks to play with and have fun getting to know the game first. The first few games will be a slog that will last a few hours until you and your opponent learns the cards, so competitiveness kinda goes out the window until you get over that hurdle. I personally find it more fun to experiment anyway, but different strokes.

I got the druid/necromancer expansion because I like the style of both, and a lot of the units looks like they would complement the spellbook ideas I have concocted since getting the game. I also have a couple of extra spellbooks on order from Amazon because they aren't too expensive and it will allow me to have one of every mage built at any given time. I would say look at the two 'Mage' expansions first, then look at the 'Conquest' expansion if you are playing and enjoying the priest or beastmaster.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would say avoid the Core Spell Tomes and buy a second core set if you really like the game. The extra board and extra tokens are worth the slightly more you'd pay from buying them separately. Just got Druid/Necro but haven't jumped into it yet.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Honestly, I wouldn't buy anything extra until you have someone to play with regularly and you've determined you enjoy the game and the spell book building enough to buy more copies of cards. But as others have said, you're probably better off buying another copy of the game instead of the Core Spell Tomes. I'd probably buy the different mage expansions before I'd get another copy of the base game or the Conquest of Kumanjaro expansion, but that's just because I want a variety of mages rather than a tweaked out spell book for one or two mages. I do have the Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion, but I don't have the Druid vs. Necromancer one yet because I just don't have anyone else to play with.

In other news, I applied for and was selected to be an Ambassador. I'm mainly going to try and run demos locally (Cincinnati-Dayton area) to get more people into the game and maybe convince stores to start scheduling Mage Wars nights maybe once a month. So, if anyone lives around here, let me know.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

medchem posted:

In other news, I applied for and was selected to be an Ambassador. I'm mainly going to try and run demos locally (Cincinnati-Dayton area) to get more people into the game and maybe convince stores to start scheduling Mage Wars nights maybe once a month. So, if anyone lives around here, let me know.

Grats! Always glad to see people hop into community involvement/volunteer roles. I considered going in on that program as well, but when they announced it I was still waist deep in doing the same thing for Cryptozoic and the WoW TCG (RIP :(). When WoW died I thought about it again but have since started down the path of Warmachine and just don't see myself making a ton of time to promote Mage Wars while investing time/effort into another big game already. Some day I'll play MW again though, mark my words!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I got into the Ambassador program out here in Taipei but I honestly don't think I'll have time to promote the game very often because I'm pretty busy and when it comes to games Netrunner occupies all my energy for organizing events, and Star Wars is the second game I'm trying to work into my schedule. Mage Wars is definitely third behind those and I hope I can get around to working on some Necro and Druid decks but I don't see it happening this month.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Dunno if anyone's still playing this, but they recently put out a designer's blog that detailed an upcoming pack that will add:

- a modular board
- more robust multiplayer rules
- and a Control Point style match type called Domination

which sound cool as hell, particularly the last one.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I finally got around to ordering this :)

Are there any official multiplayer rules, or is it just "buy two cores"?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can play multiplayer with just the core (just use the official updated decks lists), though you'll probably want to buy a spellbook pack to conveniently have 4 decks built at once.

Otherwise, the rules are all the same. The only other issue is that the board is a bit too small for 3/4 players, and two boards pushed together is a bit too big. It looks like the upcoming pack will be addressing this, but in the meantime, you can just DIY another column or two off to the side without too much difficulty.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Modular board is a very good thing. Dominion style control point system is great too.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Played the training game and got punched repeatedly as the priest, I really like how tense of a game it is.

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 4, 2014

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The only thing I don't like about the game is it can take a while to finish. Lately, we've been playing 60 point spell books and cutting mages life in half. It ups the tension quite a bit and makes the spell book feel a little more focused since you don't necessarily have something to deal with everything your opponent will throw at you.

Also, rock wizards are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Played a game with a Warlock throwing a ton of curses around, building up walls, and waiting forever for the Battle Forges to do their thing, versus a Forcemage with swords and a ghost thing. Things were going pretty badly for me at first, but I never ended up throwing up any creatures, too busy with curses and crossing my fingers that I'd live long enough to see the forges pay off.

I eventually got enough curses on him that it looked like I might be able to close the gap in damage, with the move take damage, cast spell take damage, and upkeep damage curses. Had to stop due to it being late though.

• Locked thread