Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Introduction posted:

In the village of Adatt, Iremi, the tomboy granddaughter of a local witch, sees the infamous mage Edermask en route to her hometown. Wanting to find out who is stronger, she sets off to challenge him with her childhood friend Enzu, a novice swordsman who is always being dragged around wherever she goes… However in the background there is a war going on between the two powerful nations Theodore and Aleumhan!

While initially I was just going to post the gist of this to the Korean Manhwa thread, I felt it deserved more attention, and hopefully some of you will find it interesting.

Magician is a sort of 'Grand Adventure' Manhwa, along the lines of Shin Angyo Onshi. It's published on Naver alongside other well liked manhwa such as 'Tower of God', 'Noblesse' and 'Special Martial Arts Super Extreme Hell Private High School'. And if you like any of those you should certainly give this one a chance.

Characters:

Iremi is a young, unsophisticated, but talented Witch with a strong sense of adventure and a penchant for spending money. While she is cruel to Enzu, he nonetheless remains her best friend as they accompany Edermask on his travels.

Enzu, while often fearful of Iremi, is the brighter and more responsible of the two. He is a novice Swordsman and consistently makes really stupid faces, and equally stupid jokes. While he has the biggest sense of humor in our troupe, he's also far beyond his years when it comes to making critical decisions in life-threatening decisions.

Edermask is an extremely powerful Mage who is said to be over 300 years old. He is commonly believed to be cruel and has a remarkable bounty to his name, but he nonetheless takes Iremi and Enzu along on his journey.

The artwork and names are bit spotty early on, but it develops rather quickly and artwork-wise is currently easily among the best of Naver's Manhwa.
Batoto is the best place to read it, just because it preserves the long strip format.
And here is the first chapter.

With regard to spoilers: We're currently about 260 chapters in, but please try to at least spoiler tag big plot developments, at least so long as people are catching up. If you think to yourself, "This is something I would rather find out on my own as I'm reading it", then it probably deserves spoiler tags.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is really good... people should read it... I MUST NOT POST SPOILERS.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Seconding that this is a really good series. The art is great and the story is very compelling.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Really enjoy the art style of this series, and the plot is interesting. Still a lot of questions that need to be resolved, but along the way to the point it's at now we've got some interesting characters, decently believable villains, and lots of magic and swords.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I didn't really like the art at first, and it took me a few tries to get reading it again, but drat. The art grew on me and I've come to really like it. The story is pretty great and only seems to be getting better. Really can't recommend it enough.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

rizzen posted:

I didn't really like the art at first, and it took me a few tries to get reading it again, but drat. The art grew on me and I've come to really like it. The story is pretty great and only seems to be getting better. Really can't recommend it enough.

Yeah, that's why I put a disclaimer up; the first few arcs are a bit rough around the edges art-wise. I didn't want to put up more recent pictures of the main characters either; the series is split into two parts by a timeskip, and I didn't want to misdirect people by showing the older protagonists.

Also, you should replace every instance of 'Lee Re-Mi' and 'En Jeu' with Iremi and Enzu, if the scans are still calling them that.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

rizzen posted:

The art most definately grows on you over time. To be honest I was fine with the art by about 50 issues in, even before it gets to the point that it's truly good.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
This series is everything I ever wanted in a "magic is awesome, gently caress yeah, magic" sort of way. Definitely recommend it very highly.

It took me a little while to get used to the art, as well, but man it sure does grow on you after you hit midway through volume one.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
I am more enthralled by the swordsmanship than the magic in this series. Go Enzu!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I tried this a couple months back and didn't really get into it. Picking it up again due to the goon recommendation; now that I'm past the first chapter or so I'm actually really enjoying it.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

SerSpook posted:

I tried this a couple months back and didn't really get into it. Picking it up again due to the goon recommendation; now that I'm past the first chapter or so I'm actually really enjoying it.
This is a series that gets better and better as you go on. It's like "Wow that last arc was awesome!", and then you start the new one and there's just no letdown. I don't think there has been a single place in the series where I thought the quality dropped in any noticeable way.

Note: Take with a grain of salt, I've been searching hard for a manga/manwha/webcomic like this for a long time and really, really wanted to enjoy it so I might be a little over-enthusiastic.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Coming back to the more recent chapters; there is a new release today.

The whole dynamic between "Shadow", Edermask, and Janus is only getting more confusing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

Coming back to the more recent chapters; there is a new release today.

The whole dynamic between "Shadow", Edermask, and Janus is only getting more confusing.

Huh? Not really. Shadow is some dude Janus picked up and made immortal. The resemblance is a coincidence.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh? Not really. Shadow is some dude Janus picked up and made immortal. The resemblance is a coincidence.

That's mostly fine. I take more issue with the 'Edermask' name, why Shadow was obsessed with it, and which of the two really deserves it more. Shadow is the one who the general public would've identified as 'Edermask', just in terms of behavior; but, we know that Edermask had the name first. I'm [personally] not sure how 'Edermask' is the opposite of 'Janus', as far as names go, but Shadow was seriously offended when he was called an impostor - and he certainly knows of the existence of real Edermask. We also know that real Edermask has at least one other name, 'Magician', or whatever that's called in Korean. Finally, with the existence of Janus as another look-alike, I'm not convinced yet that the resemblance is a coincidence. It's also incredibly obvious that Shadow's strength - magic-wise - is the real deal. There are only roughly 4 magicians that we know of around that level of power, Shadow included.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

That's mostly fine. I take more issue with the 'Edermask' name, why Shadow was obsessed with it, and which of the two really deserves it more. Shadow is the one who the general public would've identified as 'Edermask', just in terms of behavior; but, we know that Edermask had the name first. I'm [personally] not sure how 'Edermask' is the opposite of 'Janus', as far as names go, but Shadow was seriously offended when he was called an impostor - and he certainly knows of the existence of real Edermask. We also know that real Edermask has at least one other name, 'Magician', or whatever that's called in Korean. Finally, with the existence of Janus as another look-alike, I'm not convinced yet that the resemblance is a coincidence. It's also incredibly obvious that Shadow's strength - magic-wise - is the real deal. There are only roughly 4 magicians that we know of around that level of power, Shadow included.

He had several lifetimes to become that strong and Janus knows exactly how the real Edermask fights. Shadow was offended at being called an impostor because he was very attached to having a name, and Edermask was the only name he had. However, the fact that magic affinity seems to be innate and Shadow used lightning seems a bit much for a coincidence. But then, random coincidences aren't exactly rare in this manwha.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started reading it over the weekend and got to Volume 2 tonight. I kind of enjoyed watching the art evolve, although it was a little off-putting when the style changed like 4 times just in the first few episodes. I think my favorite aspect of the earlier parts is how Edermask has such an image of being a stone-cold badass but is still able to be kind of silly with the kids. :3:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jesus, this series is so good. It's almost criminal how unknown this seems to be!
There seriously isn't a single drop in quality of storytelling or art, and it consistently gets better between every single chapter.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So err... How often does this get updated?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a really good story.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A jargogle posted:

So err... How often does this get updated?

Once or twice a week it seems like.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
It get's translated bye only one guy, his usual schedule is a chapter each monday and friday.

Here's a link to his website.
http://omascans.wordpress.com/

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New chapter is out.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

So, how often does this come out on Naver? It seems to trend too long for a weekly, even ignoring the fact that it's in color.
Also, how many chapters remain untranslated?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Silento posted:

So, how often does this come out on Naver? It seems to trend too long for a weekly, even ignoring the fact that it's in color.
Also, how many chapters remain untranslated?

It is in fact weekly - every morning on Thursday in Korean time.

We're about 19-20 chapters behind.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Only 20 behind is pretty amazing. Seems like it was only a month or two ago that we were closer to like 50 or more behind.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Been catching up on this, really enjoying it.
End of volume 1 spoilers:
I have to say I didn't except the two awesome swordsmen to die like that, I would've thought they'd offer training for Enru. Especially the white haired dude. Janus has to be one of the more competent villains I've encountered, he shows up once and just wrecks everyone.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New Release - slow chapter. Next one will be very dialogue heavy.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Latest scan is out.

I love Enzu's sword. It's great.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Isn't that the guy who gave Enzu his scar?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Safe and Secure! posted:

Isn't that the guy who gave Enzu his scar?

Yes it is. I wasn't sure at first, but there's no doubt about it.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Sarcophallus posted:

Yes it is. I wasn't sure at first, but there's no doubt about it.

Holy poo poo. Wasn't expecting him to ever make a reappearance.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I WAS expecting him to reappear, but only like, as one-off meeting if they returned to his town, where he would be old and managing a bakery or something.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Missed a chapter update.
And here is the latest.

I'm going to assume that this Edermask is the real deal.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally caught up to the latest chapters. Holy crap, this story is really hard to put down. Enzu and Iremi play off each other really, really well. What an awesome read it's been.:allears:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The artstyle for this looks fantastic. I've never read a manhwa and this will be the first.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
New Chapter!

There should be some daily releases according to the scanlator which is awesome!

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
I kind of wish it focused more Iremi, though.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Safe and Secure! posted:

I kind of wish it focused more Iremi, though.

Seeing how they build it up it might just do that in the future given her unconcious power. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one to take out Janus in the end.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Well there was the part recently with Iremi's grandmother and the Elf lady about all the crazy stuff going on with her so hopefully that will come up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter is out: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/169183/magician_v2.21_ch90_by_one-man-army-scans

It looks like we're done with Edermask impersonators for the moment, which hopefully means we'll get some cool fights or info on Iremi's powers soonish. It was getting kind of old having every chapter be about Iremi being a dick to Enzu after he does pretty much all the work. It wasn't out of character or anything, just expected and tedious.

• Locked thread