Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

I don't wanna be all 'he sold out maaaan', but that seems like an odd step to take for him.

Why? He makes pop music. I'm glad he has a good outlet for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

slowdave posted:

Why? He makes pop music. I'm glad he has a good outlet for that.

Oh I agree it's awesome for him, just the particular label surprised me.

Having said that, their roster is a bit different to what it used to be, there are a few similar artists on there I guess.

e: To keep things positive, this is gonna own (if they are actually collaborating): http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/oneohtrix-point-never-and-hudson-mohawke-collaborating

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 3, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
everyone should get that loving money

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Answers Me posted:

e: To keep things positive, this is gonna own (if they are actually collaborating): http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/oneohtrix-point-never-and-hudson-mohawke-collaborating

I really hope this is for new Kanye album.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

OPN + HudMo = ugh please no

OPN + Kanye = a 2001 trip sequence where hip hop ascends to a new level of existence

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Not a HudMo fan, OM? I can take or leave his album but he's put out some great stuff since.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Well, I was kinda joking but yeah Hudson Mohawke is total guff that should have died in 2009. But don't ask me b/c i'm someone who wrote a 2000 word essay about James Ferraro

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I guess a lot of his music is like a brostep remix of vaporwave, and not in a good way (if there could ever be such a thing). TNGHT is great though: when I've seen FlyLo live and he's dropped 'Higher Ground' it was pretty much the definition of a

o.m. 94 posted:

2001 trip sequence where hip hop ascends to a new level of existence

Also:

o.m. 94 posted:

But don't ask me b/c i'm someone who wrote a 2000 word essay about James Ferraro

I'll raise you 5000 :eng99:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Can anyone link me some blog or twitter that keeps up with everything Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland are up to?

I know that is quite the task but I feel like if I don't check for new stuff every week I miss out on things.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Well, I was kinda joking but yeah Hudson Mohawke is total guff that should have died in 2009. But don't ask me b/c i'm someone who wrote a 2000 word essay about James Ferraro

Answers Me posted:

I'll raise you 5000 :eng99:

I'm writing a piece on opn. Should be longer than 2000. Not sure if 5000 tho. Plan to cover most of his (released) career.

Really liking his releases with Ford under Games, those Heaven Can Wait mixtapes are great imo, and then their later album together. You could slot tracks from their album into the mixtapes and never know if it weren't for the difference in sound quality. The degree to which they emulate the sounds of the 80s is amazing. Good poo poo. They remind me of when I used to work in a charity shop and we would get a boatload of self made cassettes in, of peoples mixtape comps from the 80s. If you slotted one of them in, I would never notice one was OPN.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Can anyone link me some blog or twitter that keeps up with everything Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland are up to?

I know that is quite the task but I feel like if I don't check for new stuff every week I miss out on things.

I can try and post them here. I'm usually pretty good at catching their songs that come out of the blue and then disappear about a day later. If there are any specific things you want me to repost (of their free releases only, of course) I can try.

Inga Copeland is going by the name Copeland only now, and she just released a rare vinyl single and an LP Because I'm Worth It. Dean Blunt may be working on a new Hype Williams album with Joanne Robertson, after they collaborated on his Skin Fade mixtape. Dean and Inga are not working together anymore.

Hype William's Soundcloud (taken over by Dean): https://soundcloud.com/cplnd

Hype William's YouTube (taken over by Dean): http://www.youtube.com/user/pollyjacobsen

Copeland's Soundcloud: ???

Copeland's YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/copeland657

Besides all that, Tiny Mix Tapes and Ad Hoc are your best bets.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 4, 2014

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks, I'll follow Tiny Mix Tapes and Ad Hoc. I was already subscribed to their youtube and soundclouds. The collector in me was wanting to keep closer track of releases so that I might have a chance of nabbing some of the rarer vinyls. I didn't know they weren't working together anymore but they seem to be releasing lots of stuff so I wont complain.

Does this fit in this thread?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO7e7aD0Hl0

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 4, 2014

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

last i heard dean blunt was working on an album called 'black metal' for rough trade

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
o.m. 94 as the resident ferraro expert how do you rate my avatar on the ferraro scale?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The ringtone album he did was better than NYC Hell :can:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Can't argue with that.

ER-ER-ER-ER-EARTH JUMP.

rock the grandma
Nov 13, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I can try and post them here. I'm usually pretty good at catching their songs that come out of the blue and then disappear about a day later. If there are any specific things you want me to repost (of their free releases only, of course) I can try.

Inga Copeland is going by the name Copeland only now, and she just released a rare vinyl single and an LP Because I'm Worth It. Dean Blunt may be working on a new Hype Williams album with Joanne Robertson, after they collaborated on his Skin Fade mixtape. Dean and Inga are not working together anymore.

Hype William's Soundcloud (taken over by Dean): https://soundcloud.com/cplnd

Hype William's YouTube (taken over by Dean): http://www.youtube.com/user/pollyjacobsen

Copeland's Soundcloud: ???

Copeland's YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/copeland657

Besides all that, Tiny Mix Tapes and Ad Hoc are your best bets.
https://twitter.com/copeland657

as well

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

OPN + Kanye = a 2001 trip sequence where hip hop ascends to a new level of existence

https://soundcloud.com/adrimnzr/oneohtrix-point-yeezus

e: whatttt is it gone?

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 5, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

But on the bright(?) side, I found this:

http://dangwow.bandcamp.com/album/-

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mutation posted:

o.m. 94 as the resident ferraro expert how do you rate my avatar on the ferraro scale?

I've already told u its the best av... the size restrictions are apropos too

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I read this essay today and thought this thread would get a kick out of it. On hyperreality and mashups: http://www.iaspmjournal.net/index.php/IASPM_Journal/article/view/372/560

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mashups are specific type of sample-based music where 'new' songs are created entirely from 'old' recordings.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
unfortunately that is the sort of lameass kind of writing you have to do when writing for academia. or maybe that guy is just a fuckboi (god knows i'm so over people who do digital media studies cumming about 'remix culture' like they have any idea what the real poo poo is)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Like, Henry Jenkins can eat a big pile of my poo poo as far as I'm concerned.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
New and old in quotes is really funny.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Just need to know when new recordings become old recordings, it affects my Discogs sale prices.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
whoa i missed alot itt, gonna go over it later. meanwhile, anyone still ridin the vaporwavves?
https://soundcloud.com/illegalknife/i-will-be-with-u-valley-of-the

ride the wavs with me into the corner of yr mind's eye...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The ringtone album he did was better than NYC Hell :can:

obviously yes, can't beat those FSV2/ecco vibes..

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 6, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Working on a big Baudrillard post, but the secret is I think Baudrillard is a lovely theorist even if I like his writing. Tell me if this sounds right for the order of simulacra: Counterfeit = covers eg. Raw Thrills' String Man. Replica = mechanical reproduction of music: recordings, samples, etc. Simulation = stuff that sounds like it came from something but didn't, eg. fake movie soundtracks, BoC's '70s science film soundtracks that never happened, Replica's sense of being from another time. Advances in the order of simulacra are qualitative advances in our technologies of saying "this is that". The transition from Replica to Simulation occurs at a critical degree of specificity of reproduction triggering a state change eg. water turns to gas, bits of the past are clipped off and collaged into a new past that never was.

Mike_V posted:

unfortunately that is the sort of lameass kind of writing you have to do when writing for academia. or maybe that guy is just a fuckboi (god knows i'm so over people who do digital media studies cumming about 'remix culture' like they have any idea what the real poo poo is)

What's the real poo poo? And yeah most academia is intentionally obtuse and poo poo and has no psychic energy in it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's not that it's obtuse, it's that they have to define everything. Like, in an ideal world, if you're writing about loving remix culture or whatever you shouldn't have to define what a mashup is (in an incredibly scrubby way no less). Also, the real poo poo isn't some entry level discussion about mashups as if that is somehow exciting (Note: I didn't read that article because it's not 2007 so I don't care what someone has to say about mashups).

EDIT: I'm not talking solely about music. This is my field so I have to read articles written by 60 year olds who really have no idea what is actually happening both online and off. On the music side, one of the most annoying things is people constantly citing rap as the progenitor of remix culture as if disco DJs weren't making edits before 1977.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 6, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
It's a problem specifically with musicology I think, this need to define everything and map terms out in a really simplified yet tedious way. It's frustrating as heck

The theories are there, but it's never gonna be put to use when framed in such tedium.

I once applied to a PhD in a musicology department because I thought that would be the best place to talk in depth about music theoretically and philosophically and it was such a mistake.

(And it wasn't the mashup bit that I found useful about that article [because it isn't really] but because it had some cool stuff to say about hyperreality as applied to intertextual music generally, not just mashups)

E: and yeah, Baudrillard is a kinda lovely theorist; he certainly seems to be going out of fashion anyway.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 6, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

https://soundcloud.com/diamondblackheartedboy/shuttle358-melt-diamond-black
DBHB.

also youtube "go slowly to your successful man".

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 6, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Answers Me posted:

It's a problem specifically with musicology I think, this need to define everything and map terms out in a really simplified yet tedious way. It's frustrating as heck

The theories are there, but it's never gonna be put to use when framed in such tedium.

I once applied to a PhD in a musicology department because I thought that would be the best place to talk in depth about music theoretically and philosophically and it was such a mistake.

(And it wasn't the mashup bit that I found useful about that article [because it isn't really] but because it had some cool stuff to say about hyperreality as applied to intertextual music generally, not just mashups)

E: and yeah, Baudrillard is a kinda lovely theorist; he certainly seems to be going out of fashion anyway.

Deleuze is better than Baudrillard. I mean if you think about it, Baudrillard's making this really conservative claim that everything that came after a certain point is just a shallow imitation of The Golden Age when men were men and the real was real. He makes some valid points about how it's easy to mistake our models for reality given they're so pervasive these days, but suggesting we're doomed and that this is somehow a world we can't learn to cope with is a cop out. Deleuze's thoughts on the simulacra in the second paragraph here are way better and more interesting than Baudrillard's because he takes the simulacrum as something potentially positive.

When things are rootless (rhizomatic) there's no need to compare them to any other state because they're happy to just be things in themselves, and we can explore how they differ on their own terms. “[The simulacrum] harbors a positive power which denies the original and the copy, the model and the reproduction", just like that stuff I posted about the synth horn in Problem Areas. The fact that it's indistinguishable from the supposed 'real' object exposes how lovely and flawed the idea of "real" and "imitation" is in the first place. Baudrillard's entire body of work is founded on the idea that the simulacrum makes everything false rather than making everything real, and the fact that he can't let go of this bullshit "reality principle" against which everything is compared and found wanting is what makes him a lovely theorist. There's a longer article on Deleuze & Guattari on the simulacrum here.

Susan Sontag has some really good stuff on the replica and the simulacrum here in 'AIDS and its Metaphors' from page 87 - 93.

P.S. Here's some really cool Japanese Drone: http://www.omnimemento.com/juppalakaapio/lal51.html

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 7, 2014

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Wish I had more to add besides "great post" but great post, Bigup DJ.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Bigup DJ posted:

Deleuze is better than Baudrillard. I mean if you think about it, Baudrillard's making this really conservative claim that everything that came after a certain point is just a shallow imitation of The Golden Age when men were men and the real was real.

I don't think that's what he was saying at all. The very first line in Simulacra and Simulation is "The simulacrum is never what hides the truth - it is truth that hides the fact that there is none. The simulacrum is true." There's no lost "golden age" involved. That, and I'm not even sure why you think his take on the hyperreal is entirely negative.

It's not that the hyperreal makes everything false. Convincing simulations or illusions call into question our ability to draw clear lines between true or real and false or unreal, not just now but ever. Especially when people collectively begin to simulate the simulations in their lives, effectively making them as real as can be. Like if the people trapped in the Matrix all escaped the virtual world and began to rebuild human society in reality, but their only reference points for what society should be like all came from the virtual world. Or another example is how money only has value because people collectively act as if it does.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

When things are rootless (rhizomatic) there's no need to compare them to any other state because they're happy to just be things in themselves, and we can explore how they differ on their own terms. “[The simulacrum] harbors a positive power which denies the original and the copy, the model and the reproduction", just like that stuff I posted about the synth horn in Problem Areas. The fact that it's indistinguishable from the supposed 'real' object exposes how lovely and flawed the idea of "real" and "imitation" is in the first place.

This is a really good point, and to bring it back to the music in this thread, it's worth pointing out that whether the music of vaporwave etc is real or inauthentic is not an actual dialectic within the work itself, it's a categorisation that's imposed on it from without. Almost every essay and review about vaporwave gets obsessed with whether it's a critique of the sort of music it's pastiching or just 'merely' in thrall to it. But the key is that it simply is: it's a genuine response to the aesthetic of the simulacra. So, in a sense, that makes it more real than the real, without getting hung up on the purity of the real as opposed to the simulacra (or that there's even a distinction at all).

e: oh right, some actual music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtFDjv1Pmg

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

New Dean Blunt preview of Black Metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzbqzm-DpiQ

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'll catch up on the new stuff posted tomorrow, but I'm in a Yanni-fueled haze at the moment and I really would like any suggestions for reading about New Age music you have. I'd prefer academic presses, but popular press works as well. I'll also deal with the touchy-feely cultural stuff if I have to since I imagine that was an important context in which the music developed. Thank you in advance and remember, as sister MacLaine said, everyone of us is God.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

I DON'T WANT THE REAL
GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL
I DON'TWANTTHEREAL
https://soundcloud.com/diamondblackheartedboy/i-dont-want-the-real
the youtube vid of it is also v. cool

Mike_V posted:

Thank you in advance and remember, as sister MacLaine said, everyone of us is God.

do you mean that each one of us carries a tiny fragment of a god that varies in size from person to person? that's what i think. sorry i can't find you any new age reading material tho :/.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 10, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
the 8-circuit model of consciousness is discussed in terms of drugs, but music is psychedelic. Everything is psychedelic. Music to activate your eighth brain. When humans have climbed out of the atmosphere-gravity well of planetary life, accelerated sixth circuit contelligence will make possible high-energy communication with "Higher Intelligences," i.e., ourselves-in-the-future and other post-terrestrial races.

Epileper posted:

do you mean that each one of us carries a tiny fragment of a god that varies in size from person to person? that's what i think. sorry i can't find you any new age reading material tho :/.

we are complete at every hour. every man and every woman is a STAR you are god if you allow yourself to be god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im pretty godlike to be honest

• Locked thread