Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Epileper posted:

sorry om94. here's something a bit more topical that i hope hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moH79PLQXw

Chuck Person's (OPN's) ADD Complete.
it's not just eccojams samples, you can hear a bunch of the sounds in here that he used in Replica
it's kinda sweet in a way for him to release them like that, like "here's what i discovered, now you do something with it" :)
I swear I heard a couple of these samples on JF's On Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014
RE: that list of youtube links from Bigup DJ

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

-I find alot of Katy Perry's music enjoyable, in those situations where pop music is the go-to soundtrack. Here's a pretty good deconstruction of this song specifically, in music theory terms.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/03/katy_perry_s_teenage_dream_explaining_the_hit_using_music_theory.html

Iggy Azalea - Fancy

-THIS song, on the other hand, is the absolute worst. If you have the stomach for it, check out this cover. Maybe to make it more bearable, you could draw connections between it and the explosion of manufactured/hyperrealities that seem to have been correlated with the proliferation of the internet? Or maybe it's just an embarrasing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs2DIV-G0qg

-And finally, to get back to the topic at hand, have you all watched this Ferraro video, in which he provides a guided tour of Hollywood? Is it any coincidence that one of his favorite words is "simulacra"? Stay tuned for the hilarious part where he shows off a Dr. Phil billboard.

http://vimeo.com/37914786

But I think the real masterpiece is this official video for Last American Hero. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on this one, because to my limited understanding, it seems like a music video adaptation of Baudrillard's Precession of Simulacra, though I'm sure some of you have actually read the whole book, unlike myself.

http://vimeo.com/9976692

octagonoctopus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 23, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Mutation posted:

I swear I heard a couple of these samples on JF's On Air.

i believe they collaborated on FRKWYS (wasn't that before replica/eccojams?), so if they just continued tossing building materials back and forth to each other that doesn't seem too unbelievable to me :)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Whoa. diamond black hearted boy is a seriously strange (and awesome) fellow, imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8_AA2eGbnI

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

octagonoctopus posted:

Iggy Azalea - Fancy

-THIS song, on the other hand, is the absolute worst. If you have the stomach for it, check out this cover. Maybe to make it more bearable, you could draw connections between it and the explosion of manufactured/hyperrealities that seem to have been correlated with the proliferation of the internet? Or maybe it's just an embarrasing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs2DIV-G0qg

Yeah I posted that Iggy Azalea thing because it's a perfect cross-pollination of Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani and Nikki Minaj. Embrace it.

P.S. Here is my attempt at figuring out strains of this big vaporwave melange:

• Midijams (That stripped-back thin-sounding eccojams stuff eg. Powercost - Exxpresso Blender], Luxury Elite - Satisfying, bl00dwave - attraction)
• Corporate new age INTERNET CLUB - WAVE TEMPLE, Eco Virtual - Silicon Valley Wind, Donovan Hikaru - Stargazing With The Company)
• Eccojams (Old music slowed down, "chopped and screwed" eg. Luxury Elite - ooh, sunsetcorp (Oneohtrix) - END OF LIFE ENTERTAINMENT SCENARIO #1, Eco Virtual - Smog)
• Future Funk (Future Funk and Eccojams go together like strawberries and cream for reasons someone with any knowledge of music could explain better than me. They're more like a mutual becoming-flow than two separate things. My theory right now is songs sampled from the disco-funk era they're drawing from have a common structure which undergoes a phase change (liquid → ooze contra midijams' liquid → gas) into a satisfying tone-tempo when slowed down by a consistent amount. eg. Saint Pepsi - 宇宙の風呂敷, bl00dwave - whisper, マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - バニラと美里BIG CITY NIGHTS)
• Collage (Plunderphonics is a poo poo name I'm not using it. eg. The Innernettes - Vapor BubbleGum : Word Tutorial, Diamond Black Hearted Boy - damaged mecha walking through the outskirts of neo​-​dubai (its dark and hell is hot),
• HI-DEF ( eg. Sushi-era Ferraro, recent Oneohtrix, マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - Silver Richards - Sunset (マクロスMACROSS 82-99 Rework), trend in trap including Low Tee - Thuggin... Feels Good & drip-133's remix of the same)
• Pisscore (eg. ░▒▓【ALL CAPS AND αւτ kεÿ CΘᕸEᔕ™】░▒▓ - Vaporwave Is All Just Diana Ross Slowed Down At Different Speeds, Piss Spears - the worst intro ever, ideaot - MACKLEMORE PLUS)
• Chillwave (eg. Baby Sloth Spirit - Fossil Future, syrrup - games, Standish/Carlyon - Nono/Yoyo)

Strains overlap and contradict each other and Chillwave is a tangent but these are good things.

Also death's dynamic shroud.wmv (Eccojams???), and a bunch of other girls+guys.

P.S. The KLF were among the first to do music which was basically made of samples, get into them: The KLF - Chill Out

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

P.S. The KLF were among the first to do music which was basically made of samples, get into them: The KLF - Chill Out

Nice survery, but This is way off though.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Macklemore Plus is making me laugh way harder than it should.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why is iggy azaelea in this thread, what's going on. She's total garbage.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Please respect plunderphonics

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
fripperplunder

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why is iggy azaelea in this thread, what's going on. She's total garbage.

"If a person renounces Iggy Azalea, soon pop music will appear to him dubious, and from here it is just a step to a disdain for vaporwave and to a snobbish refusal of Ferraro. How many people have entered the way of perdition with some fleeting cynical remark on Iggy Azalea, which at the time was of no great importance to them, and ended by treating Ferraro as total garbage!"

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to vaporwave, though I can recognize it when I hear it. Is Chillwave considered a genre in vaporwave? I always thought chillwave (at least the Com Truise, Neon Indian type stuff) was more of a predecessor to vaporwave, but I could be wrong. I love chill/vaporwave so the more suggestions the better honestly.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

o.m. 94 posted:

Nice survery, but This is way off though.

Yeah that's what I get for late night posting. Musique Concrete is the earliest sample-based music I know and Dennis Duck's 'Dennis Duck Goes Disco' is the earliest I know that works with other people's records. I'm pretty sure The KLF was among the first to use large, coherent chunks of other songs to make their music, ie. proto-mashup stuff (Mainly pre-90s which is JAMs era).

Anyway The KLF is a fantastic band, here's a fantastic book on them.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to vaporwave, though I can recognize it when I hear it. Is Chillwave considered a genre in vaporwave? I always thought chillwave (at least the Com Truise, Neon Indian type stuff) was more of a predecessor to vaporwave, but I could be wrong. I love chill/vaporwave so the more suggestions the better honestly.

No, you're right. "Hypnagogic pop" and "hauntology" are also previous sub-genres touching similar cultural vibes or whatever before vaporwave.

As for collage the guy who coined Plunderphonics, John Oswald, stays in my memory for his unbelievable album PLEXURE, which is required listening, imo. It's not at all "vaporwave" sonically (it's hyperfast, with samples of mostly less than a second bouncing around all over the place) but being made up 100% of unfiltered pop music samples is an important predecessor.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Chillwave was cool for approximately a couple months when Weird Tapes and Memory Cassette released stuff and then when they (he?) combined into Memory Tapes. And then it sucked and turned into Instagram/Hipstamatic filter music.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Yeah I don't think there's that much connecting chillwave to the music in this thread, sonically or 'philosophically' (or whatever you want to call it). I thought it was just electronic pop music with a fuckload of sidechain compression. I find it pretty vacuous most of the time :shrug:

I do like some of that stuff though, like this: http://slowmagic.bandcamp.com/album/--2

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Yeah I don't think there's that much connecting chillwave to the music in this thread, sonically or 'philosophically' (or whatever you want to call it). I thought it was just electronic pop music with a fuckload of sidechain compression. I find it pretty vacuous most of the time :shrug:

This is correct.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

"If a person renounces Iggy Azalea, soon pop music will appear to him dubious, and from here it is just a step to a disdain for vaporwave and to a snobbish refusal of Ferraro. How many people have entered the way of perdition with some fleeting cynical remark on Iggy Azalea, which at the time was of no great importance to them, and ended by treating Ferraro as total garbage!"

Ferraro good. Iggy bad.

Also anyone who hasn't, please download the Ferraro ringtones album, it is loving unreal

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Do you mean 100%? Is there anyway to download it other than ripping the music off of the MOMA webpage?

Has anyone ripped JF's call waiting composition from MOMA yet?

Anyways, to contribute something, here's James Ferraro giving you a tour of the OJ Simpson chase: http://vimeo.com/37914786

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

acephalousuniverse posted:

As for collage the guy who coined Plunderphonics, John Oswald, stays in my memory for his unbelievable album PLEXURE, which is required listening, imo. It's not at all "vaporwave" sonically (it's hyperfast, with samples of mostly less than a second bouncing around all over the place) but being made up 100% of unfiltered pop music samples is an important predecessor.

Oh man I had no idea! I first saw Anthony Fantano use the term so I thought it was just a dumb buzzword and I swore off it, which was reactionary and lovely of me. That must be why it failed to thrive in my survey there. Plunderphonics is good poo poo upon listening.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Oh it is a stupid word, don't get me wrong. But John Oswald's actual work is great.

edit: Also, I meant to say in my other post that your megapost on the previous page is fantastic, great work. De Landa is cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mutation posted:

Do you mean 100%? Is there anyway to download it other than ripping the music off of the MOMA webpage?

You don't have to rip them, there was just download links to each one. I threw them together in iTunes.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You don't have to rip them, there was just download links to each one. I threw them together in iTunes.

they will, however, not be loaded into yr music library, but your "tones" library. plz remember when importing :)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I use them as my ringtone for when I rarely get a phone call, but they're really quiet. Wish there was a way to boost their volume. Also wish he had made push notification sounds in addition to ringtones.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Mike_V posted:

I use them as my ringtone for when I rarely get a phone call, but they're really quiet. Wish there was a way to boost their volume. Also wish he had made push notification sounds in addition to ringtones.

You could try opening them in a wave editor like Audacity and applying the effect "Normalize" on them. Set the threshold to 0db. This will increase the loudness without distorting them. If for some reason they do sound distorted, try a slightly lower threshold like -1db or sommit.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
i heard a lot of early chillwave that really tended to focus on giving off hauntology-type 80s vhs vibes. lots of invocation/emulation of cultural tropes from the time period. i don't think there's a real link of inspiration between chillwave and the rest of this stuff but i can see how someone unfamiliar with experimental music might see similarities.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i think they are linked but only in the general sense that they're both genres of music that focus mainly on recreating/reinterpreting our musical past.

Mutation posted:

Has anyone ripped JF's call waiting composition from MOMA yet?

Anyways, to contribute something, here's James Ferraro giving you a tour of the OJ Simpson chase: http://vimeo.com/37914786

he mentions his profession is "soap operas"
i would do strange things to myself to see James Ferraro star in / direct a soap opera, if only just a 30min pilot.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 28, 2014

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epileper posted:

i think they are linked but only in the general sense that they're both genres of music that focus mainly on recreating/reinterpreting our musical past.

Yeah, I agree with this. Chillwave and vaporwave aren't similar except for the replica effect, I just noted its inclusion in the survey of vaporwave genres posted above.

soapboxcritic
Oct 29, 2005

"Who ze shit is Kingsley Zissou?"

Loving that James Ferraro and 0PN are getting the discussion they deserve, and together too. I listened to Far Side Virtual on repeat up until the release of R + 7 so was naturally pretty bowled over. And all this while reading Pynchon's Bleeding Edge so that early 2000's internet sound was killing me. I tried to make a writeup of these things awhile back and was pretty proud of the results if anyone wants to read a big piece breaking down R + 7 and related topics: http://staggeringwallpaper.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/wanderings-in-the-deep-web-the-world-of-oneohtrix-point-nevers-r-plus-7/

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

soapboxcritic posted:

Loving that James Ferraro and 0PN are getting the discussion they deserve, and together too. I listened to Far Side Virtual on repeat up until the release of R + 7 so was naturally pretty bowled over. And all this while reading Pynchon's Bleeding Edge so that early 2000's internet sound was killing me. I tried to make a writeup of these things awhile back and was pretty proud of the results if anyone wants to read a big piece breaking down R + 7 and related topics: http://staggeringwallpaper.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/wanderings-in-the-deep-web-the-world-of-oneohtrix-point-nevers-r-plus-7/

This is a fantastic article. The metaphor of broken code is really important. The beauty of broken code is that it exceeds parameters. It's an interesting thing - what can you achieve by exceeding parameters that you can't by dropping them altogether? What is the energy in "frayed data"? It's also incredibly interesting what Lopatin has to say on being "literal". Along is my favourite song off R Plus Seven. I'll read the article through again and get back to you in more detail.

(P.S. I read the Bowie articles from 2011. If you know any good resources on musicology and narratology, anything to do with musical or literary theory, post them here.)

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
self promotion "as" an experiment in "late capitalist" era art.. is that a legitimate form of artistic expression, or is that just a cop out? im jerking off to my own ideas "so hard" right now

"im" amused by critics and their assertions that "they" can predict the future. the more we try to "end history", the more persistant and apparent global events seem to occur. this is true with "art"/"music"/"sound"/"noise" trends, especially how interconnected everything is due to "the internet" and media"." out of context example: nas proclaimed that 'hip hop is dead'.. years later, not only did he put another "hip hop" album out, but "hip hop" is bigger than ever. even australian "girls" are "putting out hit s"ingles on the radio in the name of hip hop

sorry in advance for my excessive use of quotation marks and my bitter "eastwoodesque" demeanor in reguards to the topic at hand

"back" to the focus of "modern experimental" music. honestly i prefer the "classic"/"golden age" of underground weirdo music, call it what you will, over all of this lazy unconceptual-as-a-concept sort of digital sloppity slop. I like the skaters more than solo james ferraro. cosmic coincedence control center. caroliner. masonna. certain acid mothers temple releases. it might not be as exciting or "intellectually stimulating" to talk about these groups, but they sure were a lot cooler to experience in person performance-wise than some "dj" (douchey jipster) behind a laptop "remixing" other peoples creations, or using fl studio to loop preset sound bank sounds from lovely electronic music equipment

actually, i feel like contradicting myself by saying that i appreciate ultrademons "seapunk" record. i don't have any novel opinion about it, though

Listerine Hangover fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 1, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

quotecore is my favorite genre of posting

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mutation posted:

quotecore is my favorite genre of posting

i just recorded a song on my ipad inspired by the late great shia lebeouf. it addresses plagiarism and celebrity obsession in the post ironic tradition. i actually stole a song from the band "universal studios florida" and did some spoken word over it. and by spoken word, i mean quotes from other people

also, ive been using the term "quotecore" for some time now, and would appreciate it if you wouldnt construe its proper usage

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Neu! posted:

it might not be as exciting or "intellectually stimulating" to talk about these groups, but they sure were a lot cooler to experience in person performance-wise than some "dj" (douchey jipster) behind a laptop "remixing" other peoples creations, or using fl studio to loop preset sound bank sounds from lovely electronic music equipment

Shut the gently caress up.

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike_V posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

thank you, thats exactly what im saying. you put it much more succinctly than i did, kudos for reading between the lines

it seems like this form of expression is meant to be talked about more so than experienced, as much as id rather chill out, listen, and not talk about it

the ambiguity, goodness, the ambiguity.. it hurts my head. i met james ferraro in person at a festival. he was completely approachable, easy to talk to, and surprisingly wasnt a time traveling body builder with beachfront property in hawaii. im not trying to be a hater, i apologize for harshing your mellow, mike_v. i had already planned to "shut the gently caress up" before you commanded me to, just to be clear

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Oh sorry I wasn't really talking about your overly-affected post as a whole because I didn't read most of it. I meant shut the gently caress up specifically for that part because you appear to be a complete lame-o regarding DJs and dance music in general (which has nothing to do with this thread).

EDIT: To be clear, I think that is a fair inference for me to read into your post based on 1) your username 2) your cumming about old experimental acts. If this was part of the ironic tone of the post, well, I think not much more needs to be said when you're advocating for some sort of new sincerity or w/e.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 1, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It goes without saying that if any of the artists mentioned here read this thread they would shake their heads and turn away. Nobody should be bothered by this

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i'd much rather they join the discussion, you've put an awful lot of effort into this thread om94!

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

im glad your posts here are just as stupid as in the rap thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Neu! posted:

it might not be as exciting or "intellectually stimulating" to talk about these groups, but they sure were a lot cooler to experience in person performance-wise than some "dj" (douchey jipster) behind a laptop "remixing" other peoples creations, or using fl studio to loop preset sound bank sounds from lovely electronic music equipment

actually, i feel like contradicting myself by saying that i appreciate ultrademons "seapunk" record. i don't have any novel opinion about it, though

you're stupid, this post is stupid, and you're a self-admitted hypocritical old fart to boot.

• Locked thread