Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This thread is going a bit off topic recently. If someone posts a bad opinion just ignore it..... and put some effort in!!! We eat here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock the grandma
Nov 13, 2009
back on topic

did anyone hear the new chuck person songs? he played them on NTS a few weeks ago. one of them is really good and the other sounds like saint pepsi poo poo

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Anywhere we can hear them?

rock the grandma
Nov 13, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

Anywhere we can hear them?

here you go https://soundcloud.com/fakeloveus/chuck-edits-nts-live-6-11-2014

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014

Which one sounds like Saint Pepsi? I think the first one is Dan's, but the second one is by someone named Anna Caprix.

https://soundcloud.com/caprix/yours-feat-taylor-swift

Good find tho, thanks

rock the grandma
Nov 13, 2009

octagonoctopus posted:

Which one sounds like Saint Pepsi? I think the first one is Dan's, but the second one is by someone named Anna Caprix.

https://soundcloud.com/caprix/yours-feat-taylor-swift

Good find tho, thanks

second one sounds like something saint pepsi or anyone in the vaporwave w/e scene would make. but i guess it's not his track, so my mistake

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
I know I've been shitposting lately so I am making efforts to up my posting game.

ironic name posted:

one of them is really good and the other sounds like saint pepsi poo poo

It's really interesting how Saint Pepsi is shorthand for mediocre poo poo from the vaporwave scene. Why is this? Here in our thread-bubble we're all familiar with Saint Pepsi, and the more familiar something is the easier it is to use it as shorthand (ie. Metonymy) for something eg. Hitler for bad person. The other half of the equation is Saint Pepsi's mediocrity. Aside from Late Night Delight and a handful of other songs, Saint Pepsi just isn't that innovative. Out of the whole Saint Pepsi-Macross-Luxury Elite-bl00dwave gang, Saint Pepsi is the least interesting. Saint Pepsi has more in common with guys like Flume than he does with Luxury Elite and the rest.

What is experimental music? Every song has new bits and old, so how innovative does a song need to be before it's experimental? You can't answer that until you know how fundamental each element of a song is, and in saying that I'm arguing some parts of a song are more important than others. You also have to know what's come before it because innovation is relative.

So in our vaporwave stream Floral Shoppe by Macintosh Plus is the big "defining" (and you know there's huge questions about what makes something "defining" which I want to cover later) album against which albums in the same aesthetic stream will be compared to. That's why you've got pisscore taking the piss out of リサフランク420 / 現代のコンピュー - it's the only song off Floral Shoppe anyone can remember. And you know, rightly so, the opening's incredible. The opening reaches the golden point between innovative and accessible and hooks you into the rest of the song. Just as the opening gets boring the voice comes in and poo poo, that's new, and then before you know it you're into the last 2 minutes listening to this choppy drone thing and your mind has been expanded. It's incredible how smoothly you're eased into it.

It's like what I said earlier about fresh reality condensing into poo poo - you get vibrant, experimental stuff which is inaccessible to the majority of people, then it condenses into a "defining" album like Ziggy Stardust, then you get Hit Vibes and Gary Glitter and poo poo. Floral Shoppe is the Ziggy Stardust to Eccojams' Electric Warrior, Vektroid the Bowie to Chuck Person's Bolan. Ziggy Stardust was the moment glam died - it's like pinning a butterfly. The moment you can speak about "glam", it's dead. So too with Floral Shoppe.

We've always got multiple streams though because there's no way of imposing an exclusive genre on something, unless you're a "defining" album and you've carved out your own genre. So Saint Pepsi's in the middle of vaporwave, future funk (Descended from french house, specifically Onra. See how easily it slides into sludgy eccojams funk here) and that nameless contemporary dance club stuff as represented by Flume.

So you've got Saint Pepsi with the kick snare kick snare, sidechain compression on everything, the thing where it sounds like a lovely old radio. It's all wrapped up in the '80s commercial culture aesthetic in a really shallow, hamfisted way (ie. Saint Pepsi - worship of commerce. Just lazy!) It's like the fact that being a tryhard secretly means you're not trying hard enough, you're just putting a huge effort into a shallow, performative attempt at something.

Really interested to hear what you think the difference is between those two songs. Really interested!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

So you've got Saint Pepsi with the kick snare kick snare, sidechain compression on everything, the thing where it sounds like a lovely old radio. It's all wrapped up in the '80s commercial culture aesthetic in a really shallow, hamfisted way (ie. Saint Pepsi - worship of commerce. Just lazy!) It's like the fact that being a tryhard secretly means you're not trying hard enough, you're just putting a huge effort into a shallow, performative attempt at something.

Nothing else Saint Pepsi's done sounds like this though, the stuff he's put out lately is pretty different to that, and is really great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p6t8nCKSdE

If anything he's one of the few people in this scene that's doing something different and pushing things in a new direction, because the whole eccojams thing got stale quite quickly.

But really – and as you said – he's off on a whole different thing to most things in this thread, so there's no point judging him by the aesthetic of Ferraro, Lopatin et al and saying he's failed to match it.

There's an absolute shitload of derivative stuff out there that doesn't really 'get it' before you even get to pretty cool stuff like Saint P. Just browsing the vaporwave tag on bandcamp should tell you that (check this poo poo out, first thing I clicked on: http://aloe-vera.bandcamp.com/album/-).

Basically, I hope there's still room for people like Saint Pepsi in this thread because he owns :colbert:

-

In other news, new Ferraro: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-grinder/listen-james-ferraro-or-%E5%A1%91%E8%87%89-or-sukigirl-or-user703918785-suki-girlz

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 2, 2014

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Direct link for lazy dudes : http://www.mediafire.com/download/wm7nc54cas4496s/%E5%A1%91%E8%87%89+SUKI+GIRLZ.zip

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Fatima Al Qadiri dropped a new track for Adult Swim Singles. I'm not too crazy about it; it feels a bit repetitive and I think it takes a while for it to go anywhere interesting.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Dean Blunt is currently on Scratcha's show on Rinse and was talking about how Hippos In Tanks sued him for $10k over some sort of breach of contract. Sort of disappointing to hear they're into that whole nonsense.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm on the move so all I can add right now is that the Saint Pepsi - Cherry Pepsi video is an amazing thing, pure pop distillate, although I can't speak for the rest of his work. Secondly, holy poo poo this new JF joint goes hard, it feels like a response to Aisatisch, and when I next log into Mother I'll talk more. Thirdly DJ you are killing it and I enjoy reading. This is what I love about modern experimental - new, fresh stuff exploding out of nowhere from total obscurity. Fast times

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'm a couple songs into SUKI GIRLZ. A lot of people talk about how it is a successor to Cold and NYC HELL 3 AM--and I partially agree. Moreso for me, though, it relates to BEBETUNE$ and BODYGUARD with the heavy bass, prominent snares and hi-hats and glassy woodwinds/strings/etc.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Dean Blunt is currently on Scratcha's show on Rinse and was talking about how Hippos In Tanks sued him for $10k over some sort of breach of contract. Sort of disappointing to hear they're into that whole nonsense.

That's really lovely. They're kinda a badly run company anyway, though.

I'm guessing it was because he released that album Stone Island for free last year.

Edit

Thanks.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 3, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i feel that suki girls is A. like a more mellow BODYGUARD and B. absolute genius with the last track, i thought i was being texted. well done JF.

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's really lovely. They're kinda a badly run company anyway, though.

I'm guessing it was because he released that album Stone Island for free last year.

if this is the truth then gently caress hipposintanx, stone island is a good album and you can't control dean blunt's flow.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Nothing else Saint Pepsi's done sounds like this though, the stuff he's put out lately is pretty different to that, and is really great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p6t8nCKSdE

If anything he's one of the few people in this scene that's doing something different and pushing things in a new direction, because the whole eccojams thing got stale quite quickly.

But really – and as you said – he's off on a whole different thing to most things in this thread, so there's no point judging him by the aesthetic of Ferraro, Lopatin et al and saying he's failed to match it.

There's an absolute shitload of derivative stuff out there that doesn't really 'get it' before you even get to pretty cool stuff like Saint P. Just browsing the vaporwave tag on bandcamp should tell you that (check this poo poo out, first thing I clicked on: http://aloe-vera.bandcamp.com/album/-).

Basically, I hope there's still room for people like Saint Pepsi in this thread because he owns :colbert:

I was definitely too hard on Saint Pepsi but nothing he's done has grabbed me like Oneohtrix or Vektroid. Cherry Pepsi comes close because the video is so well put together, but the video was done by David Dean Burkhart. The bit with Lionel Richie seared itself into my brain (left an impression, had psychic energy) but not as much as the opening of 420 off Floral Shoppe.

Yeah there's a ton of derivative poo poo out there - I'm saying Saint Pepsi' good but not great.

I'm not the thread police, post what you want! Don't let anyone tell you what to enjoy. I'm really interested to hear what you think Saint Pepsi's doing that makes him great.

P.S. The bit with Lionel Richie (00:54 - 01:08) cuts more often than any other part of the video. Maybe that's why it's so good? The other really incredible thing about it is the way the kick-snare is synced perfectly with with the tab pull, the cymbal, the clap the organ, the jump, the cuts - everything is synced perfectly. This is the effect of simulacra producing reality that I talked about earlier, and it's the best use of kick-snare I've ever seen. Kick-snare is party, cymbal is snare, pepsi is snare, pepsi is Lionel Richie, Lionel Richie is party, pepsi is art, pepsi is party. Basically Vendémiaire but with pepsi and kick-snare as pure expression-metonymy-shorthand for Party instead of grapes. Lionel Richie is not producing the kick-snare, the kick-snare is producing Lionel Richie.

REALER THAN REAL posted:

The undivided, abstract flow of [Pepsi™] is the glorified body of the [party]. It arrogates to itself the power of love, victory and [refreshment]. It presents itself as first and final cause. But the [party] was obviously not won with [Pepsi™]. Its causality is an illusion. But it is an effective illusion because it is reinjected into reality and sets to work: it expresses [refreshment], and thereby motivates the man to [cool off and relax]; it expresses patriotism, and thereby spurs the [teens] to [party]. That is why it is called a quasi-cause. It abstracts from bodies and things a transcendental plane of ideal identities: a glorious [girlfriend], a glorious [party], [Lionel Richie]. ("It carries the real beyond its principle...") Then it folds that ideal dimension back down onto bodies and things in order to force them to conform to the distribution of identities it lays out for them. ("...to the point where it is effectively produced.") It creates the entire network of resemblance and representation. Both copy and model are the products of the same fabulatory process, the final goal of which is the recreation of the earth, the creation of a new territory.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 8, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Ferraro is really spoiling us:

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-b-e-t-u-n-e/lapd-extended-motifs

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Welcome To The New Age

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ferraro killing 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

I I I I DON'T WANT THE REAL
GIVEGIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2qtTHHiEAeA
it sounds like something scrolling through my head, flipping through my memories like pages in a book

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VmiPwwqscTQ
ppowder i pushed and shoved in dat ol' virginny...

also this link (NSFW i think?)
http://fakelove.us
last time i checked it it showed clonazepam boxes and pills (Klonopin, an anti-anxiety medication, highly effective and highly addictive). now it shows an up close ASCII animation of what i think is a woman fingering herself
actually it seems to change every time you click it. neato! just be warned it's possibly NSFW

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 14, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Epileper posted:

also this link (NSFW i think?)
http://fakelove.us
last time i checked it it showed clonazepam boxes and pills (Klonopin, an anti-anxiety medication, highly effective and highly addictive). now it shows an up close ASCII animation of what i think is a woman fingering herself
actually it seems to change every time you click it. neato! just be warned it's possibly NSFW

that site rules, I've gone through like 20 and not had a repeat. The one with the twin towers saying Hail Satan is the best one, imo. Looking for the Clonazepam one, have some weird memories of that stuff.

e: watch this one

Another Person fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 14, 2014

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Another Person posted:

that site rules, I've gone through like 20 and not had a repeat. The one with the twin towers saying Hail Satan is the best one, imo. Looking for the Clonazepam one, have some weird memories of that stuff.

e: watch this one

doesn't load on an ios device :(
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3FKcuQAerB4
http://t.co/E9lJiqOc2d

one of the fakelove pages leads to twitters:
https://twitter.com/ninjers
https://twitter.com/unsre

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 14, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
This is really fantastic, wretched excess sounds like o.m.'s pacific-atlantic necropolis tracks from his release upthread.

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014
so someone on 4chan was complaining that he saw OPN on the NIN tours and he played like a half hour of super loud bass. I didn't go over well with the crowd apparently

Here's a little sneak peak of what it sounds like
http://instagram.com/p/qcoG1uDh7c/

And here's what his latest twitter update was loooool

Attn haters! If you really hate me, blow weed smoke directly into my face. I'm allergic and I'll die!!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That 0PN is on tour with NIN will never not be funny to me. Can someone collect a list of trip reports from NIN fans who have no idea who or what 0PN is?

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Ahahah OPN touring with NIN is so great ! I saw Nin a month ago or so with a lame cold wave band, i would have dreamed to be droned by OPN... Really it's a perfect opening for a nin show, especially with the piano parts, Reznor is obviously a fan...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

OP wrote a big effort post on BoC's Geogaddi once and I'm trying to find it.

EDIT- Thanks!

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 24, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

OP wrote a big effort post on BoC's Geogaddi once and I'm trying to find it.

In here. plenty of other good posts by o.m. in that thread.

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4IdThGRSk

You think we'll ever get a recording of his NIN tour music? It sounds rad.

octagonoctopus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 27, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Aaah I just noticed the Forgotten Realms logo pop up in the set visuals

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
opn saves epileptic fans from nin concert

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
listened to GRIPPERS NOTHER ONESERS - HIGHWAY NIGHTSTALKER ADVENTURE and clicked through every related video with the lowest viewcount for a while. rules:
• No loading more suggestions.
• No same artist twice in a row.
• No song twice.
• Click the related video with the lowest playcount.

Island's Eyelids - Pelican Praises Its Prey
my favourite here. reminds me of donkey kong or big beat music from when I was little.
Endless Endless Endless - Washes
not so great, sounds like OPN a bit. meek
Eachothers - Happy Endings
interesting, sounds like album cover. try to imagine how the cover describes the song.
Red Electric Rainbow - Boredom in Paradise (Side A)
liked more when the arpeggiated synths came in, appreciated but never loved. end is nice.
Waterside Gala - Wandering Away
sounds like a pond. chinese garden, nighttime festival. beautiful
Interaccion - Insomnio
nuclear zone, computer dump. radioactive street punx, revolutionary front. prowling the streets
Sandoz Lab Technicians - Festival of Vapours
entomology. dirt. malfunctioning equipment. geology. mapping the underground. roadside desert.
Kraus - Let Me Eat Cake
sounds like OPN in a good way. doesn't sound like opn. not computers - alien voices. nighttime abduction. new rule - no same release.
Nautical Almanac - Clump Clump
primitive buskers mutate from broken animatronics workshop on abandoned dockside
Conventum - Le Commerce Nostalgique
jaga jazzist. king crimson. spanish spies. two kinds of music populate low viewcount youtube - dead folk bands and experimental electronic outfits
Ous Mal - Kaupunkeja
dead folk band breeds with electronic experimental outfit. alpine forest lake. album cover. nature film. harp
Magnificent Crumb - Outside the Vacuum
indie-ish seaborne obsession. stopping here. jaga jazzist. mystical ninja. spy vs. spy

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
bunch of ferraro albums uploaded in full here and here.

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014
Nice. That first one is great. I like your descriptions of those songs.
E:(more than the songs themselves)

octagonoctopus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 4, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Saint Pepsi seems to be following that well-trodden path of 1) Make interesting sample-based music 2) Get signed to a label 3) Make boringass non-sampled music because you can't release sample-based music anymore: https://soundcloud.com/carparkrecords/fionacoyne

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Answers Me posted:

Saint Pepsi seems to be following that well-trodden path of 1) Make interesting sample-based music 2) Get signed to a label 3) Make boringass non-sampled music because you can't release sample-based music anymore: https://soundcloud.com/carparkrecords/fionacoyne

That song owns actually...it's clear that the dude just wants to make good pop music. He never was really high-concept or anything, anyway.

octagonoctopus
May 4, 2014
I need to see the full version of this so bad

http://www.realeyz.tv/en/ctm-interview-01-02-2012.html

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Am I the only one here who really loved, and still loves, Ferraro's NYC Hell album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do6ySvM0pJ4

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

The interview is awkward as hell and makes it real uncomfortable to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

Am I the only one here who really loved, and still loves, Ferraro's NYC Hell album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do6ySvM0pJ4

I like it a lot. A lot better than Cold.

• Locked thread