Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This has sort of been a revelation for me so thank you for the great OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

Is James Ferraro his real name?

I just had a long conversation with a buddy about James Ferraro, Hype Williams, the aesthetic of that DIS Magazine stock issue, etc. and why I find that stuff so hysterical or otherwise appealing. We both loving lost it when I showed him that cover art.

As for vaporwave, even if there is a signal to noise problem there its still cool that people have been inspired to follow up on the concepts behind Far Side Virtual and Oneohtrix Point Never's Replica. In my opinion the best artists related to that whole thing are Vektroid and Fatima Al Quadiri.

Weird to see Fatima Al Qadiri mentioned with this. I always associated her with the UK Bass scene. Anyways, all her releases are great, especially her most recent one on Fade To Mind.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Real in the sense you were using it earlier doesn't really have to do with material reality and, looked at that way, it seems like James Ferraro's work approaches (although obviously does not enter) the Real (although I like the idea of the Real of the Virtual).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Took a lot of effort to find this rare JF jam, it's the FSV thing. The mutilated Steve Jobs alien head is something he'd been working on for a while. Only released for the Primvera Sound festival. Genuis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoQb7MNWPRc

woah

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Cold is out now. I'm only like 4 tracks in but it's really next level stuff.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I can find stuff like that and Vektroid pleasing to listen to, but I still don't get hit with the same conceptual complexion that a lot of Ferraro's earlier stuff does. Like, and this may sound stupid as hell, I feel like James' stuff alternately feels like falling in and out of sleep with Videodrome playing on television, but also late night infomercials. Again, musically VHS Logos and Vektroid interest me, but not in the deeper way that JF's stuff does.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Hey oiseaux, who was that Russian comic artist with a Spanish name you linked to at one point in a different thread?

EDIT: Here's another trailer for NYC, Hell 3 AM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_sC8SAduXY

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 17, 2013

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I really like the production, but I still don't think JF is hitting the right buttons with his vocals. He needs to do something more with them if he's going to properly invoke an R&B aesthetic.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lmao the top comment on that Co La track. Of course he's a loving scrub.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol I forgot Zomby went in on him.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wow that's really good. I would love for (a sort of return?) that to be another direction he's headed.

I've also gone back and listened to the Primavera Sound set and it's really gorgeous.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I just finished listening to the OPN album and it's everything I wanted it to be. That organ at the end was a perfect way to cap off the album. I also liked the first couple tracks of the album, what did you find weak about them?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

In love with that video. I'm surprised they didn't incorporate that Russian pixel artist with the Spanish name into it, though, would've really fit that hentai game (?) aesthetic.

EDIT: Did they add that monologue just for the video? I really like it with the instrumental.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 26, 2013

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Or we could say that there is still life.

I really need NYC, Hell 3:00 AM to come out.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

The thing is, the obscurity of the images is not really the impressive part of the video.

Yeah, I don't really buy the backlash or whatever. Sure it was sort of lovely not to give an acknowledgement to the dude who curates those images (and they are really cool, I'd like to use some of them in my own pieces), but it's the construction of a pseudo-narrative and the juxtaposition of images that creates something new, exciting, and horrifying.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Hugmonster VIII posted:

회사AUTO has been pretty busy - he's put out an EP a few weeks ago and is already preparing his next album (full disclosure: I'm a friend of his and have heard an early version of it and it's great). This track from that EP he put out sticks out to me mainly because it's pretty great. Great great great. I can't stop saying great. I figure I'll link this here cause I saw him mentioned a few times early on in the thread, but there hasn't been much discussion of him in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbOE6cFXQ8

It's great. (Great.) The EP itself is kind of a concept album about the ice cream shop he works at. I linked this thread to him but he can't see it because he's behind the paywall :( Oh well.

I don't know. The track is fine, but I don't get the same didactic rush I do from OPN/Jimmy Ferraro. I think this guy is doing something fundamentally different (and less interesting) than what the other bros are.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Here's a couple of Usenet posts that could basically be Ferraro concept albums:

@wwwtxt 35m

THE FUTURE: urban sprawl, ‘no future’, chemical weapons, nuclear radiation threat, corporate bartering of humankind, cheap nose jobs. ☯89OCT

@wwwtxt 32m

All black. Mirrorshades. Ominous. ☯88FEB

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

New JF collab track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qa8_8cCkQ

Reminds me a little of BODYGUARD.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I don't know if this is part of your program's curriculum, but you should probably read Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard and Postmodernism, or, The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism by Fredric Jameson if you want a stronger theoretical lens through which to understand some of these works.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Four-Twenty posted:

Welcome to ClearSkies™

Also, to the guy wondering if he should go to the J.Ferraro show: if you like the new album you should go, because it seemed to me he was mostly playing material from this. I saw him in Prague yesterday & also in Krakow a few weeks ago (the two shows were quite similar.

I forgot to check this out when it came out, so thanks. While I think vektroid plays it a bit too straight when going for that 90s desktop computing aesthetic as opposed to James Ferraro, I still enjoy this release simply because it is really straight, if that makes sense.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

This was probably covered in this thread somewhere in the form of a link, but there's been so much that I never got to all of it. Anyways, what's some stuff that's similar to Heaven's Gate-era Ferraro? Stellar Om Source's Heartlands Suite was pretty close, but I'm looking for unrepentant new age drone stuff.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I don't really get the significance of that track, no offense. Sounds pretty standard to me.

Anyways, Dolphins Into The Future is almost exactly what I wanted, so thanks for that and the other recs (which I'll get to at some point in the coming weeks)!

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I was trying to think of what the new age drone stuff reminded me of and I finally remembered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2ggMnjgbg

I wanna see someone channel this (or maybe Ferraro and Lopatin have to some extent).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Here, have a new JF track called Domestic Violence https://soundcloud.com/b-e-b-e-t-u-n-e/domestic-violence

I don't really care for the first half, but the second half is what I'm vibin

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I asked about new age like a couple weeks ago and then I found this: http://lightintheattic.net/releases/943-i-am-the-center-private-issue-new-age-music-in-america-1950-1990

Cool stuff.

Also, there's another new JF track out that is weird: https://soundcloud.com/b-e-b-e-t-u-n-e/pt-1

I don't necessarily feel it that much, but it's not bad.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Boyz n the Hood.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I really like the production on this. Those synths or whatever sound straight from Vangelis (I know this is a completely different vibe he's going for, but it's funny that he seems like he can't shake certain aspects of his past aesthetic).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Haha, yessss.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Frankly, a lack of a grand narrative (so to speak) seems intrinsic to this type of music and I enjoy it because of that. The text is created an infinite number of times and all of that. I always get a sense of playfulness from R+7, especially the baroque organs that he almost bookends the LP with.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

While I'm sure many people won't like this track (I dig it because I like really bombastic stuff, similar to the way I like Japanese jazz-fusion with excessive use of EWI), I think the video is really cool: http://vimeo.com/82437787

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Legowelt makes a lot of dance music, so I imagine he probably DJs that sort of stuff (I haven't listened to his show).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'm digging on whatever this is https://ecovirtual.bandcamp.com/album/virtual

I also like the label Eco Jam for this type of stuff way more than Vaporwave, which has a very specific connotation to me.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'd rather he use his bad singing for this type of stuff. I like this quite a bit.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Bigup DJ posted:

I never got why anyone cared about that. I mean Smog from ECO VIRTUAL is just the intro to a Sade song looped twice, but who cares? It sounds good and it works with the aesthetic described by the album and its own title.

If you're around could you talk more about this?

I don't really remember exactly what I meant, but I imagine it was something along these lines: James Ferraro and Lopatin (in different ways from one another) reveal through their music (either consciously or not, I don't think authorial intent is particularly relevant) statements or representations of the ineffability of this insane schizophrenic, late capitalist, late modernity age that we are currently living in. More than most of the interesting and pleasant sounding stuff that ultimately has nothing to say (INTERNET CLUB, etc), these two artists' work penetrate the fog that impedes my attempt to understand contemporary culture in the gestalt. In ways that oiseaux has said more eloquently, I can listen to this music and say "Yes, this is tapping directly into whatever is going on in the culture of globalization."

This probably will not make sense in the morning, but I feel like this is a significant part of a culture developed around schizophrenic capitalism.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Wait is that a forthcoming release?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Liking this new direction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW3ZyWiapws

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

MoMA's website has the suite up, although I can only get them to work when I play through my phone: http://momaps1.org/interactive/james_ferraro/

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Stravinsky posted:

I kind of skipped around a bit because I haven't had time but it really sounds pretty similar to her past stuff.

lol I finally read the press release about the album that had Slackk and some others heated on Twitter. Pretty terrible press release, hopefully Kode9 or Scratcha didn't have anything to do with it.

Looking forward to checking out the album, though.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mutation posted:

If you have dwhelper you can go to the Ringtone page and rip all the MP3s at once and put them on your phone to listen to like a weirdo.

It's a shame that I rarely get calls anymore. Just texts and push notifications. Is there a way to edit the ringtones so I can make them short enough for that (it looked like the Apple ones were some proprietary format)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

quote:

@LIL_ICEBUNNY 6h

BODYGUARD WĒNQUÁN TBA 2014 OFFICIAL #NEW_MUZIK http://youtu.be/0-Niava7RKI

Yesssss. New BODYGUARD.

• Locked thread