Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Ask him if Tommy Oliver was named after him.

That was the first thing I thought of to ask him. We're on the same wavelength here.

Something else I was going to ask was what the thought process was behind adapting Dairanger and Kakuranger footage into Mighty Morphin was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Can you ask him how much on average a single episode cost to make?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just got this in the mail:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

JT Smiley posted:

Just got this in the mail:

Where did you get it and can I get other rangers?!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I got mine off of https://shirtpunch.com, along with a red one, for about ten bucks plus shipping. So far they've only done Red, Green and Black. The only problem is they only sell their designs within a 24 hour period. As far as I can tell green is the only shirt that's available at the moment:http://inkoneart.storenvy.com/products/861823-battlemode

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the Tony Oliver panel at Naka-Kon now.

Tommy Oliver was in fact named after him, but Tony was not responsible for that decision.

He claims responsibility for the black kid being the Black Ranger and the Yellow Ranger being Asian, but says it was an unintentional oversight.

The name Mighty Morphin Power Rangers originated from a 10 minute meeting with half a dozen panicked executives because the original name was Dino Rangers and someone saw upcoming Dairanger or Kakuranger footage.

The actor who played Bulk got to pick the actor to play Skull, and they're still good friends to the day.

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie tanked in box offices, but was the #2 home media seller for the year when it came out on VHS.

The Mighty Morphin theme song that was heard on TV is actually the demo version. Haim Saban was such a fan of the demo tape that he didn't want them to go back and add more lyrics with an actual singer.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just got around to watching the most recent episode of Megaforce; isn't it a bit early in the season for them to be pulling out the "Use all the Zords at once" combination?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It feels that way, but that was Episode 12 of Goseiger so it's matching the Toku.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pinwiz11 posted:

It feels that way, but that was Episode 12 of Goseiger so it's matching the Toku.

Oh yeah, we do only get half the episode count. Forgot about that.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

jivjov posted:

So I just got around to watching the most recent episode of Megaforce; isn't it a bit early in the season for them to be pulling out the "Use all the Zords at once" combination?

They get other MegaZords as well, Hyper/Ultra Gosei Great is a speed bump on the road to power.

In other news, Cipher Pol 9 posted this article in the Tokusatsu thread about how the Gokaiger suits will be used as a super mode for the current Goseiger suits. I don't know if I like this, but I'll wait to see it in action before condemning the idea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interestingly enough, Zyuranger was not the first sentai that was adapted for english audiences. Back in the 80's USA aired a parody dub of Dynaman, it only lasted for 6 episodes but here you go.

There was also a complete english dub of Bioman that aired in the Philippines. You can find it here.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
So Robo Knight shows up and his voice is pretty much RoboCop.
He proceeds to show off his toys and kill the MOTW in his zord mode.
Then the Rangers say hi to him and the Red Ranger tries to shake his hand. Robo Knight just walks by them. It is at this moment I jump out of my seat, raise my hands in the air and scream "yeah!"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I gave up on Goseiger after a couple of episodes when it was first broadcast, so I never realized that there were three waves of main villains before the end. Now I'm much more intrigued as to how Saban is going to work the rest of the season, since they main boss is still alive at this point.

I don't expect the show to get any better, but intellectually I'm intrigued as to how they are going to plot this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

I gave up on Goseiger after a couple of episodes when it was first broadcast, so I never realized that there were three waves of main villains before the end. Now I'm much more intrigued as to how Saban is going to work the rest of the season, since they main boss is still alive at this point.

I don't expect the show to get any better, but intellectually I'm intrigued as to how they are going to plot this.

Especially considering that according to wikipedia both seasons combined will be 40 episodes long (which probably means 20 episodes for Goseiger and 20 for Gokaiger). It'll be interesting to see how they manage to pull it off.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 1, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they manage to pull it off.
Shoddily?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah pretty much. It's really just a question of how much of a trainwreck this turns out to be, especially when we get to the second half.

Also I'm hoping the fact that this and Samurai have almost the exact same theme song is just some ill-conceived attempt at nostalgia and they make something different for the eventual Go-Busters adaption. The whole role call thing they've been doing in the opening is kind of annoying too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I can't stop laughing at how Troy is more robotic than the actual robot. :roflolmao:

Pinwiz11 posted:

I am too, I always liked Boukenger/Operation Overdrive's parallel villain groups. It can't be too much worse than OO, anyway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Agent Rush posted:

It can't be too much worse than OOO, anyway.

You take that back! OOO was great!

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

I can't stop laughing at how Troy is more robotic than the actual robot. :roflolmao:

Hell, he's the most robotic Red Ranger ever. Move over, Mack.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Agent Rush posted:

The motherfucker gets snubbed at the end of the episode and doesn't even blink. That's some top tier non acting right there.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JT Smiley posted:

The motherfucker gets snubbed at the end of the episode and doesn't even blink. That's some top tier non acting right there.

No, don't you see? He's just so calm and collected.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not to toot my own horn too much, but if anyone here is a tabletop gamer, I'm getting ready to run a Power Rangers Play-by-Post using the Fate Core rules. Tenative title is Forums Sentai AwfulRanger but I'll probably change that.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

No, don't you see? He's just so calm and collected.

I love that this dude actually had a dream with RoboKnight in it several episodes ago and that never comes up. Never referenced in the slightest.

Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying how terrible Megaforce has been. If it was based on a sentai I liked I wouldn't even bother watching, but they can poo poo on the Gosei source footage all they want.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

So I've started watching Akibaranger and have made it about 1/3 of the way through. This poo poo is hilarious. I love all the little thing the show does, like if I don't get all of the references, Red is right there with his super ridiculous sentai knowledge. Its great. Oh, and Grand Delusion is the best tagline ever.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

mikeycp posted:

You take that back! OOO was great!

I said OO, as in Operation Overdrive. I don't think Kamen Rider OOO was bad at all, aside from the movies being not great. :shobon:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Agent Rush posted:

I said OO, as in Operation Overdrive. I don't think Kamen Rider OOO was bad at all, aside from the movies being not great. :shobon:

I. I completely forgot that Operation Overdrive even existed. Carry on then.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
:psylon: Robo Knight is still a dick
:mitt: Troy is still a robot
:love: Gia is pretty much the leader now and the only reason to keep watching this dreck

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What time is Megaforce on anyway? I'd probably watch it if I knew when.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Liar Lyre posted:

I think it's noon EST on Saturdays.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah pretty much. It's really just a question of how much of a trainwreck this turns out to be, especially when we get to the second half.

Also I'm hoping the fact that this and Samurai have almost the exact same theme song is just some ill-conceived attempt at nostalgia and they make something different for the eventual Go-Busters adaption. The whole role call thing they've been doing in the opening is kind of annoying too.

There's going to be a problems if the Gokai suits are a power up suit and not just an upgrade where they dump the old ones given obvious factors like the colors and how different the actors and some of their colors are (it's only the boys that are the problem).

Has it been said how long Saban has PR? I do hope Go-Bus ends up being the hand off season since that usually leads to a better than average season.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Saban will probably keep the show for as long as it runs at this point. The real question will be which network it runs new episodes on after their contract with Nick runs out. Saban has its own Saturday morning block that Haim might shoot for but I think Saturday morning kids shows are dead and if the blocks ratings remain as terrible as they are currently Haim might end up agreeing with me. In that case he'd have to continue dealing with Nick's bs or go to one of their competitors, who might give the show problems of their own. I, as a non-PR fan, expect that most fans dislike the 26 episode seasons and want those to go away, but who knows if they will.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

1:00 PM EST Saturdays on Nick. You can also watch episodes on Nick.com.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Agent Rush posted:

1:00 PM EST Saturdays on Nick. You can also watch episodes on Nick.com.

Also Hulu.com, the day after each episode airs.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
For anyone who remembers, Linkara's History of Power Rangers just updated with Mystic Force.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh wow, it's been like a year, it's weird how as the series get shorter, the length between updates gets longer and longer, especially now that everything is on Netflix.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, his adherence to his specific way of doing things doesn't help. He watches all of a season, then gets halfway through the next one before ever starting to script the videos. Wants to give himself some distance so he's not just reporting "this thing I just watched an hour ago is cool". I can see the point though. Wait a few weeks and see what actually sticks out after the fact.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it's just weird that seemed to happen quicker when seasons were fifty episodes each than when they're barely pushing thirty and have more commercial time than ever.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hope the current Sentai's robot's make a big universal clusterfuck again. :allears:
I want Samurai Ha-Oh * G12 Formation in terms of silliness.

(How did they end up naming Ha-Oh anyway in the states? Samurai throne or something?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zedd posted:

I hope the current Sentai's robot's make a big universal clusterfuck again. :allears:
I want Samurai Ha-Oh * G12 Formation in terms of silliness.

(How did they end up naming Ha-Oh anyway in the states? Samurai throne or something?)
Samurai Ultrazord.

Yeah, they really didn't try at all.

Also, if it's a clusterfuck you want, then get a load of this: