Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure we never hear any backstory out of Hiro. Everyone else has one but Hiro's just isn't important enough to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

TKMobile posted:

What I'm wondering, though this is kinda tangential, is if Hiro's a straight up orphan or was there backstory to him and his parents? (and sorry if I keep asking spoilery things...) I can't recall for the life of me if he ever mentions a mom or dad or if anything happened to them or what have you...

I saw a creator interview once where they said they pretty much didn't care. Since he's a "blank state" hero character, he really isn't supposed to be much of a character of his own.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Camel Pimp posted:

dis astranagant posted:

I'm pretty sure we never hear any backstory out of Hiro. Everyone else has one but Hiro's just isn't important enough to tell.

I saw a creator interview once where they said they pretty much didn't care. Since he's a "blank state" hero character, he really isn't supposed to be much of a character of his own.

Some stuff in the art books suggests that originally the characters in Lunar 2 were meant to be the children of the previous Lunar Cast. With Hiro being Tempest and Fresca's son and Leo being Kyle and Jessica's son.

Not sure how the story changed (I can look into it) but its obvious Hiro is not related to Gwyn (He's a beastman)general consensus is that Gwyn, like Alex's dad in the previous Lunar, was an adventurer who adventured with Hiro's parents. When they met a tragic end he took in their kid. But, nothing officially stating that, 100% fan-wank.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I gotta be honest, while I don't see Hiro as being a "blank slate" (at least in EBC he was definitively more clever at times than the average jRPG protag even if he was also a red blooded dude ogling Lucia,) the idea that he's related to Tempest/Tempest's people is kinda awesome.

Leo being a descendant of, or even the original intent/implication of being of Kyle and Jessica OTOH, is even moreso.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Jenner posted:

Leo being Kyle and Jessica's son.

Even if the idea didn't survive, implying that he's the direct descendant of the two greatest characters in Silver Star makes him somehow even more amazing. :buddy:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mazed posted:

Even if the idea didn't survive, implying that he's the direct descendant of the two greatest characters in Silver Star makes him somehow even more amazing. :buddy:

Yeah, Kyle and Jessica's son would completely grow up to be a paladin with a sweet cape.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 4: A Fantastic Boat Adventure and a Boss Fight?!

Last time, we-

Oh right. Wait, you expected this? Why didn't you say anything?!

: Look, Hiro! The guardian's awake! Now we'll have to fight to get out!
: Are you kidding, Grandpa?! Look at the size that thing's flail! It'll pummel us into sewage! Uh, uh. No thanks. There's got to be a better way...
: Ruby, I wish there were, but there's not. We've just got to outsmart it.

By outsmart, he means "smack it a lot." Can do!

Boss Tunes

So we're already at the first boss fight of the game! Didn't take us long; in the first Lunar game, we didn't see a boss until the third dungeon! (Depending on what you counted as a "dungeon.") So. The Guardian. He has a really scary looking flail.

And it does a lot of damage. He will also never use it again.

For the rest of the battle he's just gonna punch you. It's nothing that bad.

So there's nothing to say about this fight. Only Hiro's contributing any damage, but even then it's piss easy. Oh, speaking of contributing nothing...

As you might suspect, Lucia's lost all her fancy spells. All she'll do is defend.

It's kind of inevitable. At least she won't be stealing our EXP. So... thanks!

In any case, it ends quickly.

Hey, they're giving us half-decent money from boss fights. Finally.

And it does seem like Hiro stops getting those crazy wisdom gains. I was legitimately wondering about that.

Well. That wasn't too bad. But let's not stay any longer.

Fortunately, it's a straight-shot out of here, and even if it wasn't we've gained enough levels that we'd be fine. So it's smooth(ish) sailing from here.

The people who build this tower are loving dicks.

: Uh... oh... trouble! What are we going to do, Hiro? We can't beat three more of these things!

We don't a choice. Well. One was piss easy. Three shouldn't be too bad. Right?

Although it would have been nice if I thought to top off after the first fight. OH WELL.

So. Guardian. Again. Well, they are actually rather slow, so if you're careful, you don't need to take all three flails to the face at the same time, unless you're a slut like that.

Hell, you could get lucky and have Hiro just flat out dodge the flail. Wasn't expecting that.

Even Gwyn decided he wants to help out. Actually, this is odd quirk of the defend function. You still can't tell the character where to run to when they defend (unlike the remakes), but if they run across an enemy along the way, they'll smack 'em one. Kinda nice, I guess.

Well, this'll be a slog, but if we take it carefully and persevere, we could pull through.

Or GIANT rear end LIGHT BEAM FROM NOWHERE.

That works too.

Who could have saved us? Lucia's out of commission, so that could only mean...

It's Leo! And his bitchin' theme.

: With the Goddess Althena providing the power, this ship is invi... but, I have better things to do than brag about my ship. Althena has sent me to capture a destroyer that has come to our world. And I don't intend to let her down!
: I still don't see how or why a destroyer would come here...

I don't how or why, but you were there when Zophar did the zappy-zappy to Lucia! You know for a fact there's a destroyer here!

: ...

Yes, exactly!

: N... no... it's not right... It must be some sort of mistake...
: You have no authority to doubt me, old man. This destroyer I'm looking for is in that tower... I bet my life on it. It's my job to smoke it out and deliver it to Althena. And, if it resists, Althena has given me authority to eradicate it. You're out of your league here. Just go home.
: Of all the... I can't believe how rude he is! He works for Althena?

Fine, fine. You have fun in the Blue Spire. We got poo poo we gotta do.

: And you seem to be sick... what has made you weak, girl?

Huh. This is an awkward situation. Wait, since she arrived at the Blue Spire Leo might think... well, that's silly. We saw- er, we heard Zophar. If anything's a destroyer, it's that. Hell, Lucia couldn't destroy a crippled kitten. If we explain this to Leo, maybe he'll understa-

: We barely escaped. If you hurry, you may catch it!

Or we could do that. That's cool too. :sigh:

: Ha! Exactly as I suspected! The destroyer is in the tower! C'mon men, let's go!

: He he he! He fell for it! That was close...

Man, when Leo gets out, he's gonna be pissed. well, unless Zophar's still there. In which case... Leo may not come out.

: Hurry kids, we must get Lucia back to the house, she's weakening... maybe then she can tell us exactly why she needs to see Althena... And, more importantly, how she expects to find her...

Frankly, I don't think she knows that last one. But still, Gwyn's got a point. Let's head back.

I'm thinking we should avoid Leo and his buddies for a while. Just a thought.

Fortunately, it's not much a trek back.

: Ah, this will do nicely! Okay Hiro, you stay here with Lucia. I'll go downstairs and see if there's a book that says how to break the curse.

So, uh... want some juice or crackers? That's about as much as we can do here.

: I... ahh.... nooooo...!
: Hiro, Leo says that Lucia is a destroyer. Do you think she really is?

Well, no, he didn't really say that at all. He said there was a destroyer coming to the Blue Spire, which is of course how we met our cursed friend, but that doesn't mean that Lucia is strictly speaking that same destroyer. It's of course, possible, but possible does not been definitely or even likely. After all-

Oop, my bad. Cutscene time.

: Ugh... Zo- Zophar... you can't...
: Hiro, she's having some kind of nightmare. Poor thing...

: Lucia?
: Listen carefully. I must find Althena as soon as possible. Zophar- aaah! Zophar is... the essence of evil. If he regains power, your world will be destroyed. His strength grows by the second. I came... to stop him... aahh!
: Then Leo is wrong! Lucia came to save our world!

Or she's one hell of a liar.

: ...this world will cease to exist if Zophar... is... not... stopped... for the sake of the humans here... I... must... stop him...

Although if she's a liar, this is some confusing and contradictory determination to her lie.

Oh, I'd like to mention that in the remake, the little anime cutscene with Lucia on the pillow is cut. She still says the same lines, but it's done in-game. Not sure why they cut it, but whatever.

: Humans? Lucia, why did you say that? Y... you mean to say you're not human?

Yes. We have established this. How humans do you know float?

: ...I... am.... unghh...

Well, I thought you were Lucia, but nice to meet you, Unghh. :rimshot:

: Hiro, it appears that this curse is beyond anything I can cure myself.

Oh hi Grandpa! Forgot you were still in this scene.

: We're going to have to find a priest with special training to dispel it. I think that there's a priest by the name of Ronfar in the village of Larpa. Used to know his father. He's a good kid. Maybe he can help us. You must take Lucia to him, Hiro. Since Larpa is on the other side of the sea, you'll need my boat. I've got everything ready. Meet me outside.

Wait, you could jump on that thing? What actually is that thing, now that I think about it.

We can ponder that later. Time to get sail-

: Okay Lucia, just so we're straight on a few things, I'll tell you this: Hiro is helping you out 'cause he's a nice guy, but he's all mine. Got that? I don't want you moving in on my territory.

:psyduck: What. Uh, Ruby. I think there's a bit of basic biology that no one has ever taught you...

: ...what... what do you mean by that? I... I don't understand...
: I mean you shouldn't get too close to Hiro, because you'll set yourself up for a fall.
: Oh... Does Hiro... trip people that... get too close? I'll remember to... walk ten paces... behind him.
: No no no! That's not what I'm talking about! You're so dense, you can't possibly be a threat to my love for Hiro. Let's just go!

Not pictured: Hiro's reaction, which I like to imagine is plugging his fingers in his ears and yelling, "LA LA LA."

Anyway, let's go meet up with Gwyn. And no, we can't jump on that.

: Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to help Lucia.
: But, Grandpa Gwyn! Aren't you going with us?
: Lord no, little one! I'm just too old for this sort of thing now.
: But Grandpa!
: No 'but's' about it, young man. I can't make the trip!

But as they sail away Hiro suddenly convinces Gwyn to come with them, and Gwyn makes a dramatic lea-

No that doesn't happen in any version of the game. Don't be silly.

: You'll do fine. I've taught you well, and you're a bright boy. Besides, I've got a million books to catch up on... now get moving!

Gwyn's excuse for not helping us cure a fatally cursed girl and help her on her world-saving quest: gently caress you I've books to read. Cold, man.

But whatever! We've got fantastic boat adventure time now! Let's go.

And that was the fantastic boat adventure.

Now that we've sailed across the desert (Try not to think about it too hard; geology was never the Lunar series's strong point) time to head to Larpa. It's a pretty short jaunt, but long enough for us to get attacked by-

Oh you fuckers again! At least this time they didn't hide you in some far away corner where no one would ever see you. Let's hope they give out decent EXP for once.

The Death Worms will actually attack you... but it's strangely rare. I think you have to be positioned just right. Otherwise they'll just keep sucking you in, and that does no damage.

Other than that, not much to say about the trip.

Not as exciting as arriving in Meribia for the first time, I must say.

While this is a bit short, we've had enough excitement for today. Next time we hopefully cure our red friend!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 5, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

This line always reminds me of when I got pulled over by a cop for literally no reason and he was desperate to try and find something to bust me on.

Alternatively, Leo has found someone who shares his love of red capes and just wants to be friends.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really like that wide shot of Larpa you get in this version. Just something about the pixel art in these Sega CD Lunars is so charming :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Crowetron posted:

I really like that wide shot of Larpa you get in this version. Just something about the pixel art in these Sega CD Lunars is so charming :allears:

Yeah, it looks like it's built out of wrecked ships, partially.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That boat music is very fast. Is that supposed to last as long as the trip?

Does Ruby go "Rules of Nature" on the boss if Lucia is the only one standing?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

That boat music is very fast. Is that supposed to last as long as the trip?

Does Ruby go "Rules of Nature" on the boss if Lucia is the only one standing?

I don't think Ruby does the same thing. In the Sega-CD version, dead characters are pushed to the side, so if Hiro and Gwyn were dead the Guardian could get to Lucia quite easily.

EDIT: For the sheer hell of I tried it. You just die.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 9, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 5: RGamblin' Man.

Larpa

: Larpa's a great town, but it's crawlin' with criminals, so be careful. In fact, you might want to explore Dalton, to the west, instead. It's much safer.

It is not encouraging that the first person I see tells me to go somewhere else. In all fairness, it's not like the welcoming to Meribia was any better.

Moreover, we're not looking to get rich or anything. We're just looking for Ronfar.

: That low-life cheated me out of my house! I had the best view in all western Larpa! But that shameless pig tricked me into wagering my whole house!

That... doesn't sound so priestly. Are we sure we're talking about the same guy?

Uh, yeah. Sure. You know where Ronfar is?

: Well, you won't find him at the sanctuary, that's for sure! He traded the cloth for the dice. Check out the alleys and bars. The bum's probably in another game.

Oh. Well. gently caress.

Doesn't anyone have anything nice to say about this Ronfar fellow?

: He's just good enough to eat!

Oh please. After Lunar 1, I ain't trusting any of you fuckers' concept of "handsome."

: And control! When the dice are in his hands, it's almost like magic!
: Yeah, right... magic. I'm so impressed, I'm yawning.

See, Ruby knows what's up- wait, she's got a crush on the doofus with the face tattoo. Nevermind.

Okay, well, if Ronfar's hung up his robe, there are still priests in town. Maybe they could help. Let's check the church.

For such a lovely little desert town, it's a nice church. Ya know, it occurs to me that no towns in Lunar 1 even had a church. There was only one big Althena's Shrine and a couple of tiny outposts. In the sequel everyone seems to have gotten a bit more religious.

: Through us, the world will come to know Althena's goodness. ...if they donate enough.

Oh. Oh. It's one of those JRPG religions.

: But, in all this time, we have not made even one person here convert! This town is crawlin' with sinners!

Well, there's no point in getting a town full of pious people to convert, is there?

: Only specially chosen ones may enter its hallowed halls.
: ..Althena resides in... Pentagulia... hmm...

Uh, no. Althena resides in the Goddess Tower. Okay, last time she reincarnated she didn't, but she didn't know she was a goddess yet. ...what is the standard mode of operation for the reincarnated Althenas? I guess this time she wanted a swanky city. Well, I guess I can't blame her.

: They say he's been learning new tricks in Pentagulia!

Wait, what? I thought he gave up the priest-ing.

: If they did, they'd be crying like babies...

Oh you two bore me. Let's just try and see if anyone can heal Lucia.

: Quick, donate to Althena and pray for her mercy.
: Uh, I really don't think that's gonna work...

It might be worth a try, at least..

It restored us to full HP... which for Lucia is still 1. Oh, and the kicker?

There's an Althena Statue in town. And it's free. So there is no point in ever giving money to the church.

As you can tell, people attempting to swindle you in a theme in Larpa.

: I got a foolproof tip on a horse in the seventh! It's gonna make me rich!

Even compulsive gambler bums want to cheat you out of your money! What is this world coming to?

: Oh, I'd be happy to show you the ropes. The people of Larpa are fair and honest. They come here from all over. We have a long tradition of clean and wholesome life. Visitors are required to pay a 1000S gift to the city. The funds collected are used to care the sick and aged. I am the designated visitor fee collector. I'll happily accept your gift.

Oh- oh- don't you dare-

Oh. He doesn't. The other guy doesn't actually take anything from you either. So it's just the church trying to swindle you. Good to know.

I guess we have no choice but to hope Ronfar at least remembers some of his priest training... and is sober. Let's try his house first.

: Some stinking bozo stuck liniment in my underpants! I'm on fire! Ouh eeh ahh! If I catch the prankster that stuck this goop in my shorts, I'll kill him! I have a... sneaking... idea it was Ronfar! Ahhh! I'll... wring... his... neck!

Oh goodie, on top of being a loser Ronfar's also 12, apparently :(

But I guess this is his house. Let's see if he's home.

"I'll come back after I finish work.... LM"
: See! The letter says 'Ronfar!' I was sure this was his house... I wonder where he is?

I kinda want to know who "LM" is, but it's probably some drinking buddy or something.

All right, then we've put it off long enough, let's go-

Okay, okay, we're gonna see Ronfar eventually! Just one more detour!

: ...go away! We don't want any of your sick mumbo-jumbo- What? You're not? Oh, uh, sorry. If you're looking for the mayor, he's on the second floor.

Oh, so this is the mayor's house. ...Larpa has a mayor?

: If you ask me, I think the mayor's the biggest swindler of 'em all. Say, uh, keep that comment I made about the mayor under your hat, okay? I need this job.

Not a good mayor, mind, but a mayor. Reza didn't have a mayor.

: Yippee! Ledds play house!

Okay, I'll be the brilliant aloof doctor and you can have the mysterious sickness. Do you know what the symptoms of lupus are?

: Our daughter needs schooling and friends, but this town is nothing but scoundrels. I wish my husband would clean this town up. After all, he is mayor.

I think her daughter was the girl we just talked to. I hate to say this, but it might be a just a hair too late for that one.

: Say, just keep away from our daughter. You look like another bad influence, and I'm telling you, she doesn't need it! She's got several out-of-town suitors, and I don't want her chances ruined. She's gonna marry and get out of this town if it kills me!
: Uh... is she serious?

You're trying to marry your clearly mentally impaired daughter off, just so we're clear... did I stumble into a Tennessee Williams play and not realize it?

At this point we know drat well where this Ronfar is, but we might as well ask.

: Hmm... Ronfar.... Ronfar? No can't say that I know the name. There's no priest named Ronfar in the local Althena cult...

I know he's not currently a priest, but where is the guy?

: Tonmar... Tonmar... yes! There was a man named Tonmar that died about 5 years ago.

...okay gently caress this.

Bar Tunes

: Hrmph! Well, he's a pretty secretive guy. Maybe he doesn't want to be bothered. But, if you want to take your chances, he's at the back of the bar.

That kind of cracks me up. "Well he doesn't waaaant to be found... but he's over there."

So, back of the bar, huh. Now we just need to find the guy who isn't a clone...

Found ya.

: Ha! Well, beat it! And don't come back here, you little troublemakers! I don't want to ever see your face again... unless you feel like rolling the bones...

Oh well guess that's not him. Let's keep sear-

Of course it is. Just talk to him again.

: What are you doing back here? I'm getting real sick of your face.
: Hah! I'm getting sick of your games,
Ronfar. We know who you are.
: I don't know what sanitarium you escaped from, but I'm not Ronfar.

Eeeh. Ladies of Lunar, you have got to set your standards higher. I mean... mullets.

:What do you want with this Ronfar guy anyway? You know, he's kind of a deadbeat. Huh. I can't believe he was ever a priest for Althena. But I'll tell you where your guy is, if you beat me in a game, the game that rules my life. 'cause the only truth I've ever found lies right here-

: In these!

: If you win, I'll tell you all about your guy Ronfar.

Well no I was really hoping you'd cure our friend who's now probably depositing her lunch all over the floor, but since you reeeally want to roll the die, let's go.

Uuuuuuuhhh... even- no! Odds! Odds!

drat it!

Hell yes I'm trying again. This time, I'm betting evens like I should have!

Fuuuuuuu-

Yeah he's unbeatable.

: Lousy, stinking cheat! I know he was cheating, Hiro!

Screw this guy man, let's go and find someone else who can tell us... about Ronfar.

gently caress.

: What? You're still coming back for more? Haven't you figured out that I'm using my super-lucky dice?
: I think it's more like your super-loaded dice, if you ask me. Cheat!
: Ahh! Hiro... I can't... h... help me...

: Hey, look out! What's happened to her? She just passed out! Tell you what... let's get her out of her. She can rest at my place.

At least he stopped giving us the run-around... perhaps though, a hair too late.

: The girl's inside. Come on in.
: Well now! What do we have here...
"Ronfar: I came to talk to you, but nobody was home. I'll come back after I finish work.... LM"
: Hmm, this is certainly a blast from the past. Wonder when he's coming back? Oh well, I ain't losin' any sleep over it. Come on in, I'll show you to the girl.

I just hope this LM guy waits until Lucia stops dying before he busts on in.

: ... You don't need me to cure her... I'm nothing but a has-been! Just... take her to the sanctuary and let the priests there cure her.

We tried that. If we had a better option, trust me, we'd have taken it by now.

: You're a persistent little bunch, aren't ya? Now, listen carefully: I'm a gambler, not a priest. I can't help you. Go find one of the priests in the sanctuary!

I told you-

Oh pants.

For some reason, the game puts Ruby and Hiro's portraits to the side here. Just for those two lines.

: Oh! So you've met my over-achieving friend, eh? If the girl's in some sort of trouble, you don't want Leo to get hold of her. You stay here. I'll go see what he wants.

: Hey, what was this 'work' you mentioned in your note? I can't believe you'd have business in this crooked town.
: Some little brat called Hiro tricked me and helped a destroyer. I had no idea that it would come disguised as a girl. That was my mistake. I won't make it again.
: A girl, huh... you say she's a... destroyer?
: ...come on Ronfar... don't spill the beans...

Yeah, man, how dare you rat out a suspicious total stranger to your friend. I THOUGHT WE WERE BROS.

: This is not good, Hiro. If he talks, we're all dead meat!
: Well, Ronfar, if you hear anything about this girl at one of your games, let me know, okay?
: ...uh... ahem... right! Haven't heard anything, but if I do, you're at the top of my list.

...actually, he is going to cover our asses.

: Well, I guess that's all I can do today. Tomorrow, I'll start the search anew. That brat will be mine!

Well, buh bye and don't co-

: Say Ronfar, why don't you return to Pentagulia and the service of Althena? You know, Mauri never got over you leaving. She still asks about you...
: C'mon, Leo! We've been down that road a zillion times! You've got to tell Mauri to forget all about me. I'm a loser... a has-been. She's too good for me.
: Ronfar, you're much too hard on yourself. You did the best you could. And even though you couldn't save her, she still managed to survive. Forget about the past and come back to Pentagulia... please? For Mauri.
: But she's... ...

That's kind of an awkward point to just walk out, Leo. Still... that was interesting...

But since Leo's gone, perhaps we should thank Ronfar for his somewhat baffling act of kindness.

: We were like brothers. I lied to him. And just for you, stranger. But I lied on a hunch that you are doing what you think is right. I can see it in your eyes. You don't believe the girl is a destroyer at all. I was like you... a young kid fired up with ambition... and then...

Fun fact: according to official sources, Ronfar is 19. Just putting that out there.

: ...oh, Mauri... I miss her so much! But that's foolish talk. All that matters now is my dice, and lucky they are!

"I'm not repressing anything!"

No, seriously, the dialogue actually is that abrupt.

: Okay Hiro, here's the deal. Play the dice and win, and I'll help you and Lucia.
: Hiro, forget about it! His dice have gotta be loaded!
: Ah, Ruby, you're tearing my heart to shreds! Me? A cheat? C'mon...

Jesus, you're obsessed with this poo poo, aren't ya? Maybe you should see someone about that.

As you might be able to guess, it's doesn't actually matter what you choose.

Because you're going to win.

: Will ya look at that! Hiro, you won! I don't believe it!
: Well, luck certainly must be with you today! I'm yours on a toss of the dice.

I'd like to mention that this game was released about... oh... 8 months after Final Fantasy 6. At least Ronfar didn't try to marry one of our party members.

: To break the spell, we'll have to use a statue of the Goddess. There's one in the sanctuary. But, Leo's got that guarded, so we'd better use the back door. C'mon, this way...

Or we could use that statue of Althena that's out in the open free and unguarded, or will that not work because it isn't fancy enough?

Well, they had to squeeze in some gameplay, so now Leo has suddenly cut off the sanctuary (and the exit of the town) and we have to sneak in. Whatever works. Let's just fetch Lucia.

Oh god, we better move fast before the ellipses destroy her!

: But... what else can we do, Lucia? Can you hear me?
: ...I see... it... all so... very clearly... now... you are my... only chance.

: ...she's getting worse, fast...

So already, we get a new party member!

He doesn't come with any weapons, sadly. Some of you may think that's normal, why would he go to the bar with a weapon, but I'd ask why wouldn't he go to the bar with a weapon? He does come with a bitchin' bandanna, though. It only gives him a small defense boost, but it's still nice to have.

I put Ronfar and Hiro's stats back to back, just for comparison. Now Ronfar isn't carrying a weapon, and he only has one attack, but that's a decent raw attack power. Hell, Ronfar's raw attack power isn't that much worse than Hiro's with a weapon!

But Ronfar's a priest, so let's look at his spells.

He starts with the same Heal Litany that Gwyn did (but not his Calm Litany, which sucks). He has Herbal Breeze as well, which if you don't remember is a sleep spell. However, Ronfar gets a unique skillset in the Chance spells. Chance Dice does a random effect, ranging from healing the party, inflicting status ailments on the enemy, to even inflicting damage on your own party. Usually Chance Dice will roll something beneficial or at least harmless, and there is one Chance Spell that's quite nice, so the skillset is not that bad. Well, except for the tiny fact that...

You have to spend MExp to level up Ronfar's Chance abilities. You also have to spend MExp to level up Ronfar normal healing spells... well, you can guess which one you're going to spend the resources on. And MExp is very, very tight in this game.

Ronfar's Herbal Litany, by the way, belong to the "Soul" subset, which will level as he does. Ronfar's Soul skills are... kind of an odd bunch, but we'll be seeing that later on.

Before we sneak off to the sanctuary, let's go check out the store and see if there's anything worth buying.

...eh.

They have the Dagger, which is the only weapon so far that Ronfar can equip. Thankfully, I still have the Dagger Hiro started with, so Ronfar can get his hand-me-down. (He can't equip Hiro's Ancient Dagger, though) The Short Sword is a sizable boost to Hiro's attack power, and not that expensive. Moving down the list, we next have Peasant Armor, which both of them start with, Leather Armor, a slight improvement over the Peasant Armor, the Bandanna, which Ronfar already has, Herb, and Purity Herb, which cures poison. Unlike Lunar 1, where poison was a joke, poison's a bit more threatening in this game. Nothing is going to poison us for now.

For now I don't get anything. There's a bit of fighting coming up, but nothing major. I'll be saving that for next time, though.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 5, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I have yet to experience a JRPG where you're not just better off ignoring what everyone's "official" age is supposed to be.

So Ronfar, your scoundrel with a very poorly-concealed heart of gold, was kind of a surprise, back in the day. Rather than some maidenly gal, you had a rough-looking dude your primary healer. Also, his exchange with Leo gives us our first clue that he might not actually be a complete dick, which is nice.

Also, Larpa teaches us a lesson that we should all learn while playing a Lunar game: Encountering random NPCs who aren't some kind of degenerate is a rare thing to be treasured.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 6: God drat it Lucia

As soon as we exit out the back of Ronfar's house, the game immediately us taunts with a treasure far out of reach. That bitch.

Whatever, we'll get it in time. For now, let's make our way to the sanc-

BROWN CAVES :argh: I thought I left you behind in Lunar 1! drat it!

Thankfully we don't have to look at these brown caves for too long; this area is clearly added just so we'd have a little bit of gameplay in-between all the plot. There's only two enemies in here.

Oh! I recognize you guys, too! I wonder if they sti-

Oh. Yeah, they didn't hide in their shells in the first game. While they're hiding, you can't really do much damage to them; Ruby will only hit 'em for 1 HP. Actually, I have no idea what they do if they aren't hiding; they almost always hide in the shell, and when they weren't, I killed them before they could attack me.

Also, enjoy this gif of Ronfar punching a snail. I will never have the opportunity to type that sentence again.

These are the other enemies here. They hit for a fair bit more, but they don't defend or anything, so it's a wash. Also, they have a tendency to run away, which is too bad because they give a surprisingly nice amount of experience.

So I guess I'll walk you through this area, even though there is nothing to walk through. There's a hole. Go in it.

Then you're in here. At least they're some plank and holes and something visually in here.

Anyway, go through, and then right. Then you're out.

We're not actually done; they just stuck an outdoor bit here. Hell if I know why. Oh, but there is something to note here. Remember that treasure chest at the beginning?

While we haven't needed Star Lights yet, it really pays to collect as many as you can early on. We're going to need them.

So there's a teeny tiny bit more to this, but do you care? I don't. Let's skip to the end.

I didn't mention it earlier, but the Sanctuary has two backdoors, but at first we couldn't really do anything with them. The side exit to the right, as a matter of fact, has no point whatsoever. We're going to enter through the left.

Oh come on. Fuuuck-

Nevermind, he's kinda wrapped up in his own little world. Maybe if we're extra quiet we can get out of here without a problem. Does de-cursing normally involve much noise? The priests in Dragon Quest seem to do it pretty easily.

: Goddess Althena, hear my plea... take your holy light and cleanse this girl. Loose the bonds that now bind the mind and heart of this tortured soul. Shatter the darkness with rays of holy light!

All right, let's see if that-

: Ronfar! What's wrong? Lucia's in agony!
: This is impossible! The spell she's under is stronger than... ... I... I've never failed to break a spell, except once when.... Mauri was sick...

Flaskback time!

: Leo? Ronfar? I'm in pain! Oooh! Help me!
: I just need a little more power... hold on, Mauri!
: Fight, Mauri, fight! Stay with us! I won't let you give up!
: AAAARGH!
: MAURI!

...and she... didn't die from this? Ronfar failed, as is quite clear, but she didn't die... well this has illuminated nothing.

: I played that moment back in my mind over and over. I won't go through something like that again. I'll save Lucia, or die trying.

: Sweet success at the hands of Ronfar!

You see, the difference is that this time, he sparkled.

: It's not complete, but the main spell is broken. She'll just have to...

: Oh! I didn't know anyone was still in here. Yes, well, the sanctuary is closed for the day. Come back tomorrow...
: No thanks, old man. I don't have any need to come back to this place. Lucia, you can rest at my house with your friends. Let's go.

You know, that sounds like a good idea.

: But, only Althena's pure power can restore what Lucia lost to the spell.

Translation: We're not getting our over-powered murder cannon back.

: Whew! I forgot how hard this priest stuff was! I need to get some sleep. I'd suggest that you guys do the same. There's a long road ahead. Lucia, you can take my bed, and the rest of you can sleep where you want.

AKA: The floor. Well, Lucia did just shake off a curse on her soul, which I don't have much experience with, but it sounds draining.

So, the next morning we wake up an- oh gently caress me, really?

: Oh no! Do you think that Leo stole in during the night and took her? We've got to get her back!

I really doubt Leo's ability for stealth, myself, but regardless we probably shouldn't let her roam free. All right, wake up Ronfar, we're movin' out!

: Mmmm.... Maauuri! Please... nooooo!
: He tried so hard to break the spell... he must have loved her very much. I wonder what happened? Maybe I'll ask him he wakes up... One thing's for sure. He's got a heart of gold under that thick skin...

Yeah, you know, I think this guy is all right. Now I'd hate to break up his nightmare, but we need to search for-

Okay, we're doing it ourselves.

We could just ask around. Hopefully someone saw something.

: Some girl came by here singing to herself and staring into the sky. She seemed so innocent... and yet, no one knew who she was.

: She's wandering around here talking about the Blue Star and some crisis... The babe's completely out of touch with reality. Says some 'Hiro' guy knows her.

: I think she was the one I saw caressing the grass and flowers. The girl was staring at the flowers like she'd never seen one! What a kook...

Nevermind, this is going to be quite easy.

: Can you believe that? She just sat there staring! I was totally embarrassed!
: That's what you get for leaking the lizard outside in a city, idiot! Didn't anyone ever show you how to use a toilet? ...sheesh!

Especially if she keeps up the peeping tom act. (Peeping... Cathy?) But it doesn't seem like anyone knows where she currently is. Well, if she's trying to get to Pentagulia, she'd do well to ask the folks at the Sanctuary. Maybe they'll help?

: If you pray to Althena, and your heart is true, she will show you the way, I'm sure. The best way to show that your heart is true is to donate freely.

Of course not.

: But, rather than chasing skirts, why not repent from your sins and serve Althena?

Ronfar is so disgusted by the shamelessness of Althena's Cult that he telepathically zinged this priestess.

(Ha ha, oops. Someone missed this...)

So she doesn't seem to have come here. And she's obviously not going to make a social call-

: We shared a bit of tea together, me and her, then she left. She kinda looks like my wife when she was young and purdy.

Huh. Man, she's had an eventful morning. Unfortunately, the old man doesn't know where she went off to. The bar?

: I'll tell you, I wanted to deck her! I had a royal flush! What kind of a nitwit would do something like that?

Yeap she's been here.

I was wondering because she asked me how to get to the holy city of Pentagulia. I told her that the mayor knew how to get there.

Oh finally, some concrete direction! To the mayor's house!

: In fact, I thought she was lookin' for a cook's job and let her have it. But, she broke nearly every dish in the house, so I fired her. What a nut!

Wow. She got hired and fired in a morning? Man, I feel accomplished if I manage to summon the energy to make coffee before 8.

: The girl can't lose!

And she picked up a new skill! Did Hiro just wake up at 3 pm, or did Lucia not sleep? I'd believe either.

Did she actually get to asking the mayor about Pentagulia?

: Don't try to deny it, I saw you with her! Anyway, she wanted some information, so I told her how to get to Pentagulia by way of a ship in Dalton. Then the crazy girl split without paying my information fee! But, now that you're here, I'll get it from you! I was 500S. So pay up!

He- hey! You better no-

: Thanks. Now get outta here...

He did, didn't he?

: What? Where did that girl go? She said she wanted to see a sandship and headed to the harbor.

Yeah, he did take the 500s. By the way, this is not optional. You have to let him rip you off. What a pile of crap.

By the way, the remake adds a small scene during the hunt for red Lucia. It... changes very little to be honest, and I really don't see why they added it, but they did.

All right, let's go see if we can catch up to her.

Were you here the whole loving time?!

: Hiro and I were worried sick! ...but you do look much better.

Better enough to monologue about it!

: Yes, much of the affliction is gone. It's so strange; I did not humans possessed such wondrous powers. That shouldn't be possible, unless Althena was the source.

: :sigh: What a strange world I've come to. Its beauty is unsurpassed, and yet it remains filled with such mystery and emotion. Why is the flowers so soft, and snakes so deadly? Why do some love, while others hate? Is this land of contrast the one Althena created? The one Zophar rises to...
: Lucia...

: I must go now. Hiro, I will never forget you.

: Where do you think you're going, missy?
: Pentagulia. The holy city. I've learned that I can get to Althena's city by means of Dalton. So that is where my task will lead me... Good-bye, Hiro and Ruby. Thank Gwyn and Ronfar for me.
: B... b... but Lucia!

And she just jumps down there and walks away. And again, we can't jump down there. Ah well, if she's jumping around, she's definitely feeling better.

: C'mon. At least we know she's okay. Let's go back to Grandpa's house. He must be worried by now.

Any of you at home never played this game, or the remake? Okay, for the one person who doesn't know anything about this game: are you buying this? Well, now that I mentioned it, no you're not buying this. But even before I said anything you were probably rolling your eyes.

: The villagers are all talking 'bout her, so she must be around here somewhere.
: She went to Dalton.
: Dalton?! Now, why'd she go and do a dumb thing like that? The Destiny's anchored there!

And who was surprised? Put your hand down; no one appreciates sarcasm.

: Leo's gottta be waiting for her to walk into his trap!
: oh no! Hiro, what are we gonna do now? Lucia's in danger for sure!
: I guess I'm part of this little mess now. Tell you what. I'll go with you to Dalton to see if I can't straighten this out.

Yeap, we gotta go save Lucia's rear end. Again. Then again, if she's been cured, if she's got only a fraction of her old power then she might fi- no I can't even pretend. All right. To Dalton.

All right, so how do we get to Dalton? Well, that one lady said Dalton was to the west. So let's go as far west as we can.

And from here, we just head north. Easy-peasy!

Along the way, we run across scorpions. While they will not rock you like a hurricane, the one will their tail raised up will poison you. They're a bit hardy, but Hiro can take 'em out with little difficulty.

Now, poison in the first game was a joke. And at first, it seems like that hasn't changed. At first, all it takes is 1 HP from you. But that number gets higher, and unlike Lunar 1, battles will get long enough that poison becomes a problem. For right now, though, it's not threatening. There is no need to blow money on Purity Herbs yet. Or ever, really. It's scarier, but still not much of a threat.

Otherwise, the journey to Dalton was pretty uneventful. Hopefully, we can catch Lucia before she's gotten herself into trouble.

: Hey chief, take a look: isn't that Lucia?

Oh god drat it Lucia.

: But you must believe me! My story is true! I have no reason to lie! If I do not find Althena before Zophar returns to power, he will destroy your world!
: Ha! You expect me to believe that, Destroyer? Althena's only order was to eradicate you, not to listen to your evil lies.

: Soldiers! Take this... this... destroyer below!

: Althena and I are one in purpose. She would never command that I be destroyed. You must have misunderstood your orders.
: My orders were crystal-clear! Men! Seize her!

Making weak barriers that harmlessly push people away... such sinister power!

: I will not let you escape! You will bend to the power of my sword!

Welp.

I'm kinda surprised you guys could see all that from here. You all must have great eyesight.

: Leo is trained in the ways of Althena's guard. If we don't get Lucia back right now, there's no telling what could happen... except that it won't be good for Lucia's health. So chief, the gameplan's to sneak onto the Destiny and try to rescue her, right?

Yes, Ronfar, of course it is. Hiro couldn't just decide this girl just isn't worth it; there's a reason I named the thread what I did. Ah well, that's JRPGs for ya. Next time, we're gonna bail Lucia out of trouble.

Again.

This going to be a trend, isn't it?

:sigh:

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 2, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You are some kind of LP update machine. And I like it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You are some kind of LP update machine. And I like it.

I miiight have been scared of being left behind by Crowetron's thread and over-did it a bit...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They added a whole extra scene during the "Find Lucia" sequence in the remake. I wasn't expecting any differences that major until much later (although it's still a pretty minor thing).

Camel Pimp posted:

I miiight have been scared of being left behind by Crowetron's thread and over-did it a bit...

Lucky for you, I am very easily distracted by video games! :v:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

They added a whole extra scene during the "Find Lucia" sequence in the remake. I wasn't expecting any differences that major until much later (although it's still a pretty minor thing).

I should have mentioned it, but then again it is so minor that it impacts very little. On the other hand, the remake adds babies.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Lucia being put on the couch has a slight but interesting difference between this and the EBC version. In EBC, Hiro and Gwyn help her onto the couch, but here it's just Gwyn. Gives the old guy some dorfiness, what with him being a beastman and all.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Guess what children? It's time for me to go over some of the stuff I missed and couldn't be bothered to put in the main updates for whatever stupid reason. So get ready for an update full of dialogue, because it's time for...

Odds and Ends #1

We're going to be jumping around a bit in the game. First off, here's a bit I missed waaaay in the beginning, when Leo is at Gwyn's house.

: Say, your grandpa Gwyn says he doesn't know anything about a destroyer. Being such a skilled archaeologist, I find that hard to believe. Doesn't it seem odd that Gwyn doesn't know anything about a destroyer, when he's devoted his life to unlocking the secrets of the Blue Spire?
: No odder than you being 35 and never having a girlfriend!

By the way, I'm pretty sure Leo is not 35. Since Ronfar supposed to be 19 (still can't get over that myself) Leo being 35 is pretty unlikely. I don't know Leo has an official age, actually. I'm probably wrong, mind you, so if you know please feel free to correct me.

EDIT: 18. Apparently he's supposed to be 18. Yeaaaaah riiiiiight....

Let's jump ahead to after Lucia's been cursed, but while she's still laying on the couch writhing in pain.

: Especially if Lucia was there all by herself...

Ever since Croweton mentioned that he thinks text boxes filled with nothing but ellipses indicate flatulence, I can't get it out of my head. Hiro in particular seems to really like beans.

If we check this telescope after Lucia's back in the party...

: I guess he was right...
: The tower... it links two parts of the same...

I don't speak Foreshadowing, Lucia, you'll have to be clearer.

All right, this next one requires you talk to Ronfar before you've asked about it. I think there is a specific NPC that triggers the flag that allows you to talk to continue the plot when you talk to Ronfar, although I'm not 100% who it is.

: Well, what are you doing in here? No priest would hang out in this joint. Say guys, isn't it a waste of time to look for this Ronfar guy? I mean, why not forget about him and join me for a nice game of dice? I promise to go easy on you for the first couple of rounds... Well, what do you say? I know that if you were a man, you'd take a shot at wealth! Tell ya what. If you win, I'll give you my house. But, if I win, I get your little flying cat-thing. I'm sure I can find some use for it... pet shop, zoo, stew... somethin'...
: Liar! Cheat! Barbarian! Why would you want to eat me?!

Thankfully, unlike the first game this person who's says they'll eat our companion is kidding... I think.

Aside from Ronfar, there's a couple of NPCs I didn't include in the main update for whatever reason.

: I don't wanna gamble against Ronfar again... shut-up! Get outta there I said! He used to be a priest! He knows unholy tricks! ...get off me... ahhh!

Mainly because I have no idea what to make of this.

: I'm a Red Dragon, and you better show me some respect, or I'll toast your hide!
: Wah haa hah! I didn't know Red Dragons were now coming in bite-sized packages!
: Oh really? Well have you ever seen a 'bite-sized' package do this?
: Ooooouch! Hey! You burned me, you little runt!
: Now then, what do you have to say for yourself, pig?
: Well, you can blow fire, all right, ya lousy furry lizard...
: What did you say?
: Oh... uh... nothing... nice day, huh?

In all fairness, I really should have includes this. Oh well.

: One day my knight in shining armor will ride through those doors and sweep me off to a new life with shimmering palaces and dazzling wealth...
: Uh, I think you'd better lay off the romance novels for a while, sister. Fabio ain't comin' for ya, I'm sorry to say...

Besides, you'd probably send most of your time posing in front of a fan with your shirt open. Imagine it gets boring after a while.

: If I don't find a new job, I'm think about going on welfare. At least then I can do what I want and still get a check twice a month.
: Sounds like a plan to suck your life down the toilet.

Social commentary! (Also, Larpa has welfare?)

: If I hadn't wagered myself, I'd never be in this place working like a slave. It sucks to be in debt. Be smart... don't start. Believe me! I know what I'm talking about. Never wager more than you can pay.

I'm just saying, if the town you live in has people in indentured servitude, I'm thinking their social services aren't too great.

Now we jump ahead to after Lucia collapses, but before we head to Ronfar's house and trigger that whole scene.

: ...then call me terminal!

Now I'd normally re-iterate my disbelief in why this lady is fawning over Ronfar, but I get it now. You see, when he cured Lucia, he sparkled. And we all know what it is about sparkling men.

I feel kind of dirty for making that joke.

Now this is after Ronfar joins, but before we make it to the sanctuary, and by now Lucia is would be screaming "GET THE loving SANCTUARY ALREADY!"

: Say there, fella, have we met? Can't say that I remember ya. But I think a little lithium might be just the ticket for ya. Check it out, bud.

Fun fact: Lithium is generally used as a mood stabilizer, not an anti-psychotic. Although in cases of extreme mania, hallucinations can occur. But, uh, I don't think that's what they were going for.

All right, now we've finally cured Lucia. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that line above only triggers in that specific window... I think. Some of lines I know do appear at other times, but some of them I'm not sure.

: I'd love to, but sorry. I don't kiss girls with big, nasty cold-sores. Just a little rule of mine. Keeps me outta trouble.

See? This is an educational game.

: These? Oh, they're called dice. I use them to create money, little lady.
: Create money? Bah! Make it disappear is closer to the real story...

Like I said, educational!

: I'll keep giving vague answers to everyone that asks about you... at least until my debt's paid.

In case you needed an explanation on why the mayor was so unhelpful... but I'm just glad he didn't make us pay the first time.

: We, uh, we were just leavin'. Nice talkin' to ya...
: Well, geez! Sure, go ahead! ...just blow me off. Lousy brats...

I'm not sure why why we're supposed to be scared of Leo. His people are idiots.

: There's gotta be some way I can get relief... If I can't stop the burning, I'll find a distraction. I've got it! I'll gamble! Yeah, that takes concentration... perfect!
: You're hopping around like a baboon and you're going to concentrate? Yeah, right.

Or... you could change your shorts? Or are you shy because there are others there?

: These other kooks followed me home... I couldn't believe it!

You could... ask them to leave?

: Well, I can't get rid of it for you. But 9 out of 10 doctors recommend soup. Hot soup... chicken, if ya got it. Won't heal you, but you'll feel better!

I had to resist to urge to just fill this whole thing up with nothing but smart rear end remarks from Ronfar. He has a few.

Time warp! Now we're jumping ahead to when Lucia was wandering around, watching people pee apparently.

: But most are heathen pigs who will wither in the hot fires of Althena's fury. At least, I'm pretty sure they will...

It makes me wonder... I don't know if the Lunar series really have a complete theology with a concept of the after-life. There really isn't a concept of hell or heaven in this series.

: But, she still thinks I just want to be friends. Well dammit! I want more! I can't begin to express the depth of my love for Martha. She is the desert rose that gives hope to the parched wasteland of my heart. The... the ying in my yang. The only one I'll ever love!

Well, you wanted romance novel, lady, here you go!

: But, he's just a poor street vendor. If he does, I don't know what I'll do... What should I do? Should I give up on my dream or hold out for what may never come? I'm so confused! Why is it that it never works like this in fairy tales...

You can't help it if it's a lovely romance novel.

: What idiot would want to marry her? ... ...uh, that's just between you and me, okay?

Time warp again to after you meet up with Lucia and she made it over to Dalton to get captured.

: I think maybe I'll start a chapter of unrealistic gamblers anonymous. Let's make this our first meeting. I'll start. Okay... my name is Muerte, and I'm a gamblaholic. Pity me, and return my losses.
: Oh no! You're not draggin' us into this mess! C'ya, ya big retarded lug.
: Wah ha ha! Sorry, old guy! I ain't fallin' for that trick! It's the oldest trick in my book. Nope, I ain't bitin', chumpy. The house is still mine, fair and square!

"Now I'm leaving Larpa and I'm not going to be in said house for a long time... don't do anything while I'm gone!"

: Drop those dice and work your magic on me, baby.

: I was thinking of attending Mave del Blotto's cash flow seminar this weekend. He promises to give away the secrets of wealth for only 299 stinking silver!

I have no idea if Mave del Blotto is a pop-culture reference or not. It's probably a twist on some actual person's name, but hell if I know who. I know that "Mave del Blotto" turns up nothing on Google.

: I'll never forgive you!
: Hey, there... whoa! I didn't put the words in your mouth or the cards in your hand. Face it! It's nobody's fault but your own, buddy.

Social... commentary? Or Ronfar just being a dick. You decide!

: Teach me! Then ledds play house!
: Uh, hehe, I don't think that's such a good idea, little... uh... lady.
: Whew! Let's get out of here before they try to marry her off again!

No, no, we should let them marry her off to Hiro, have her join us, and recreate a really, really strange version of Dragon Quest 5!

: It's really starting to get on my nerves. I can't stop thinking about twisting their pointy little heads off... That's just not like me...

I feel the same way at my job- oh, wait, that was "culties." My bad.

That's it for Larpa; we're probably not going to see it for a long time. Next time, we'll be heading to Dalton.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 31, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Since you asked.

In the Lunar I+II artbook, Leo's age is given as 18. He is younger than Ronfar is; Ronfar was born in '1015', Leo in '1016'. (Mauri was also born in 1016, so either they're on opposite ends of the year, twins, one age is wrong, or Beastmen are weird. Mauri is younger.)

I can give the ages of the other characters if you want but I didn't know if you wanted me spoiling them, so I didn't. Most of the party is around there anyway.

Additional: For time comparison, Lunar 1 occured in the year '34'. No particular event occured on 0; they're based off Ghaleon's diary entries in Lunar 1, which are dated '34.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 14, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Prism posted:

Since you asked.

In the Lunar I+II artbook, Leo's age is given as 18. He is younger than Ronfar is; Ronfar was born in '1015', Leo in '1016'. (Mauri was also born in 1016, so either they're on opposite ends of the year, twins, one age is wrong, or Beastmen are weird. Mauri is younger.)

I can give the ages of the other characters if you want but I didn't know if you wanted me spoiling them, so I didn't. Most of the party is around there anyway.

Additional: For time comparison, Lunar 1 occured in the year '34'. No particular event occured on 0; they're based off Ghaleon's diary entries in Lunar 1, which are dated '34.

...really?

I'm pretty sure Mauri is 16, actually. I don't think they're twins.

I don't know why the ages for the characters in Lunar 2 is so sketchy. I'm pretty sure the ages for the characters in Lunar 1 is pretty certain, so I don't know what it is about this game.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
JRPGs and ages, man.
JRPGs have always been hosed up about the ages of their characters. Used to have a system where I added 7-10 years to any JRPG main character's age and it usually meshed pretty well.

Lunar isn't completely bad, considering I feel that 16-17 is actually a viable age for Hiro and I believe that is what he is stated as being. Another main character we'll meet later is also stated as being around that same age and I think that's accurate for them as well.

But everywhere else the ages get a little stupid.

Leo, for example: There's no way Leo could be that young and the rank he is (leader of Althena's Guard.) If we assume he's the child of VIPs it'd be acceptable to have him be around his mid to late 20's in age. If he's just your average awesome beastman it's more likely he's in his early 30's.

Ronfar's probably in his early to mid 20's considering his history/backstory/sordid activities.
Mauri is most likely about that same range, maybe in the later 20's.

There is one other character we'll be meeting soon that is listed as a certain age that they certainly cannot possibly be largely for the same reasons it's hard to believe Ronfar is 19. But I suppose I should probably save talking about Jean until we meet them. (They're my favorite character in this game.)

In general ages in JRPGs are always fruity in regards to characters and their official ages. But, the "add 7 or 10 to the listed age" system has never steered me wrong!

...Unless, of course, they are physically a child. ALA Patty from Tales of Vesperia. In which case we have to swallow down our vomit and just physically accept this child character for what she (it's always a she :japan:) is.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 14, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

...really?

I'm pretty sure Mauri is 16, actually. I don't think they're twins.

I don't know why the ages for the characters in Lunar 2 is so sketchy. I'm pretty sure the ages for the characters in Lunar 1 is pretty certain, so I don't know what it is about this game.

They changed a lot of them around the PSX release, probably so they made more sense. Mauri being 16 dates from that AFAIK. I actually only said the twins thing as a joke because they seem to have the same age. I don't actually have the Lunar I+II artbook handy any more; I used to have scans from it but I lost most of them a couple computer formats ago. I tried to double-check online.

They may also have changed in development and I got an old one, since one of the sections of that book is Lunar II brainstorming. Originally it was going to be much closer in time so there are things like pictures of adult Alex (he's a lumberjack!) and such. That picture I do still have, and here it is:

edit: ^^^^^ also yes, Hiro is 16. Or 14, if you pay attention to the manga. Probably 16 though.

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 14, 2013

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

:stare:
Is that a long mullet on Alex?

:allears:
Oh man, I need to reopen my art book.

Prism posted:

They changed a lot of them around the PSX release, probably so they made more sense. Mauri being 16 dates from that AFAIK. I don't actually have the Lunar I+II artbook handy any more; I used to have scans from it but I lost most of them a couple computer formats ago. I tried to double-check online.

They may also have changed in development and I got an old one, since one of the sections of that book is Lunar II brainstorming. Originally it was going to be much closer in time so there are things like pictures of adult Alex (he's a lumberjack!) and such.

The Art Book suggests that in the original inception of Eternal Blue the original cast of Silver Star are still alive and have jobs and such the main characters of EB (at least some of them, if not all of them) had been originally planned to be children of the original main cast of TSS/SSSC. (I've brought this up before so sorry for repeating myself.)

Speaking of which, it's incredibly likely that I am an idiot. I may have mixed up Hiro and someone elses Jean again original proposed background. It's been suggested/hypothesized/and sperged about by fans that one of them was planned to be Tempest and Fresca's child and the other is supposed to be descended from the Vile Tribe, either Xenobia or Phacia. I'm beginning to think Hiro was the latter...

There was also a Lunar Manga, it was released a bit before Eternal Blue I think? It was called Childhood's End and I may :words: about it after the end credits.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Jenner posted:

Speaking of which, it's incredibly likely that I am an idiot. I may have mixed up Hiro and someone elses Jean again original proposed background. It's been suggested/hypothesized/and sperged about by fans that one of them was planned to be Tempest and Fresca's child and the other is supposed to be descended from the Vile Tribe, either Xenobia or Phacia. I'm beginning to think Hiro was the latter...

Phacia (and Royce) didn't exist in the Sega CD edition of Silver Star, if I'm remembering right, so it'd have to be Xenobia. If her descendent was the one party member we'll be having later, I guess there's a recurring familial theme of getting involved with very shady characters. I'm liking the idea of Hiro being descended from Tempest and Fresca, though. He's got a look about him that's a bit more wild and rugged. Maybe the combination of the boomerang and that tattoo/scar on his face.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jenner posted:

:stare:
Is that a long mullet on Alex?

:allears:
Oh man, I need to reopen my art book.

He's a woodcutter, not a haircutter.

Jenner posted:

The Art Book suggests that in the original inception of Eternal Blue the original cast of Silver Star are still alive and have jobs and such the main characters of EB (at least some of them, if not all of them) had been originally planned to be children of the original main cast of TSS/SSSC. (I've brought this up before so sorry for repeating myself.)

There was also a Lunar Manga, it was released a bit before Eternal Blue I think? It was called Childhood's End and I may :words: about it after the end credits.

Yup! The original concept for EB was about 20 years later than SSS; that Alex sketch is related to that. As for the background of the specific characters, I don't know much about that since it's not something I remember from the artbook. It wouldn't be unheard of given the time period, though. Phacia and Royce were additions to SS Complete, IIRC so it would have to be Xenobia (who was even more of a jerk).

Childhood's End is something I've heard about but never read. It does contradict Eternal Blue on some timeline points but if it came out first (which I didn't actually know; I thought it came out after, but before EB Complete) that makes a fair bit of sense.

e:f,b

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 14, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jenner posted:

...Unless, of course, they are physically a child. ALA Patty from Tales of Vesperia. In which case we have to swallow down our vomit and just physically accept this child character for what she (it's always a she :japan:) is.

I'm behind on that LP but if I remember right Patty is literally a One piece filler girl and thus is only good at being a lightning rod of audience hatred so her age is irrelevant.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Prison Warden posted:

I'm behind on that LP but if I remember right Patty is literally a One piece filler girl and thus is only good at being a lightning rod of audience hatred so her age is irrelevant.

Well people were pissed because Patty wasn't in the initial 360 release and because several scenes of the party members standing in formation had a very clear hole in them and you can find a room with her name in it and a family talking about their daughter who was a pirate AND she's in the code of the 360 version. Then they re-release the game on PS3 and she's there, filling those formation holes and making it clear that it is her room and her family. Tales of fans were not happy that the 360 version was essentially a beta you had to pay for and including references to the character from the improved port, and Namco didn't exactly help with their official response to the question of "Was Patty intentionally omitted from the game" is to play coy and say its "Open to everyone's imagination." I'm not even a Tales of fan but I can't read that as anything other than them being assholes so I'm not surprised people hate Patty.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jenner posted:

JRPGs and ages, man.
JRPGs have always been hosed up about the ages of their characters. Used to have a system where I added 7-10 years to any JRPG main character's age and it usually meshed pretty well.
I use a +-1000 years count for ancient or literal children characters. It is rare to have someone actually be an adult and match their age and instead getting a centuries old loli. There could be ancients from 1000 years ago or so, like Lucia, and that stops me from coming up with a time frame.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

I thought Childhood's End actually only went with Eternal Blue Complete?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Oh man, seeing the differences already showing up is cool. Also, Leo's attack on Lucia looks a bit flashier in this, as opposed to EBC. From what I've seen so far though, I can ascertain one thing: gently caress magic experience forever. It's a neat idea with terrible execution. Maybe it's better when you're playing, but it just looks all kinds of irritating to me. :(

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Alkarl posted:

Oh man, seeing the differences already showing up is cool. Also, Leo's attack on Lucia looks a bit flashier in this, as opposed to EBC. From what I've seen so far though, I can ascertain one thing: gently caress magic experience forever. It's a neat idea with terrible execution. Maybe it's better when you're playing, but it just looks all kinds of irritating to me. :(

Honestly, I don't find it that bad, although I'm still quite early in the game, so when I get further on it may start to grate more. Generally you just save it up, and then spend it at the end of dungeons. You don't think about all that much while you play. Of course, at this current moment, all I have to spend it on is Ronfar's healing magic.

Mostly, the system more or less forces you to just abandon certain skillsets. I may do a side-update with Hiro's Wind magic, but we're never going to see anything but Boomerang in the actual play-through. Same thing with Ronfar's Chance skills. I get the idea behind the system, but it's so prohibitive (probably to prevent you from getting Ronfar's healing spells up really early... which would screw you over, actually) that you just plain never see certain skillsets. Or you use one skillset for a while then drop it. It's restrictive, narrows your play-style in a game that's not complex to begin with, and I can see why they dropped it. Although even in EBC I'm pretty sure you never use Ronfar's Chance skills anyway.

(Of course, the pay-to-save is just bad, period.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A couple of the chance skills come up in Complete but they're also a lot more consolidated than in this version. Anger Dice comes in handy vs the first couple bosses after Ronfar shows up and recovery coin can sometimes save a hopeless situation, such as certain really bad random encounters in the final dungeon. Destiny Dice can be very, very cost effective, but I'm not aware of any way to manipulate it other than saving state and messing around with timings.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I thought Childhood's End actually only went with Eternal Blue Complete?

Technically it compliments both versions of this game. They're not that dissimilar.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

Technically it compliments both versions of this game. They're not that dissimilar.

I guess I was thinking more of Lunar 1 ties into the thing. But I can see your point.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 7: A Very Boring Daring Rescue

So Lucia's got herself into a major pickle and faces possible execution.

And we're in a new town! Let's go talk to everyone!

Dalton's theme.

There's a sight that says "welcome to Dalton motherfucker."

: I can't imagine what kind of deviant would have the gall to do this!

Normally I would care, I like being able to restore my HP and all that...

: Well, there is a statue just like it in the Shrine of the Althena cult. It's kinda weird in there, but their statue does work.

And not paying money for it. Hm.

But since I know what's coming up and where I can get to a free statue, I kind of don't give a poo poo.

: This is exactly the kind of apathetic reaction that I'm talking about! Is nothing sacred to you anymore? Does your life have no meaning? Heretic!

Hey, not my fault I've played this game before!

Well, I played the first game, so I recognize the Four Heroes... but you're not talking about the same Four Heroes, are you? Guess we could humor the kid.

: Oh goodie! I was hoping you'd say that! I love reciting them! The first of the Four Heroes is White Knight Leo, lord of Althena's Guard. Second is Saint Lunn, master of Blue Dragon Karate. Third is Grand Black Wizard Borgan. And last is... is... hm... oh yeah! The last hero is Red Priest Mauri. I learned all about them at the school of the Althena Cult. Memorized them myself. Aren'cha proud of me?

One would think the people wouldn't call themselves a cult, but what do I know. Anyway, this a lot of information to take in. Leo's an even bigger deal than we thought, Ronfar apparently dated a celebrity, and the cult of Althena allowed the leader of the KKK to join- oh, wait, wrong type of wizard.

Also, if you talk to the kid again right after he tells you about the new Four Heroes, the dialogue changes to reflect that you talked to him before. Of course, that goes away the second you enter and leave a building, but that's still neat.

: He had on the complete hunk duds. Tight white pants and a cool red cape. I'm in heaven!

First the thread(s) start fawning over Leo, now the NPCs are. I think I'm the only person who doesn't really like Leo all that much :(

: It's some sorta Dragon Tower thingamabob. They say it's mighty keen...

Huh. That's interesting. We'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Also, you may have spotted a bar. The cult of Althena is super strong in this town yet a bar remains... well, let's check it out.

: I keep tellin' the owner he should make an espresso bar outta this place. He'd make a mint on steamed milk and coffee...

Ha! That was a call-back I wasn't expecting this game to make...

: She's so cute, though. I have a hard time buying the fact she's a destroyer. I dunno. I'm just glad I'm not Leo. But, I guess he's got his orders from Althena.

It seems like Leo's men are starting to suspect what's blatantly obvious. So they have working brain stems; good for them.

: If that girl's a destroyer, I'm June Cleaver.

I can't believe Working Designs had the balls to put the words "balls" into this game, and we're not talking about basketballs. Although Sega was a lot less stringent on questionable content then say, Nintendo, Working Designs did have problems with censorship in the Sega-CD games. Although this game has naked anime chicks and blood and somehow still got away with a K-A rating, so someone fell asleep at the wheel.

Oh yeah, this game has a K-A rating, which the ESRB used instead of the E rating back in the day. Well, there is no smoking in Lunar Eternal Blue, despite Ronfar's odd affinity for that twig, so I guess it's okay.

Anywho, I guess we can leave Leo's men to wallow in drunken indecision. Before we see the rest of the town, let's check out the item shop.

They have most of the same stuff Larpa had, but there are two new items. Pictured above is the Mace, Ronfar's first weapon exclusive to him. He'll be down to one attack, but that one attack will be mundo powerful. There's also the Scale Armor, which is a bit pricey at 600 silver, but provides plus seven to defense. There isn't going to be a weapon or armor shop for a while, so you might as well spend your money. I pick up a Mace for Ronfar and some Scale Armor for Hiro, although I'm not going to need it right now.

So the rest of the Dalton is kind of odd.

The rest of Dalton connects through this tunnel. If I kept going right from here I'd hit the Destiny, but if I go down there's some more people.

Make sure, at least, you check this place out. If I keep going right and exit out the front...

Now in Lunar 1, there weren't many accessories, and by and large they didn't do much of anything. The Angel Ring, on the other hand...

Is quite nice. I'm hopefully not going to need it for a long time, but it's always nice to have for a tough boss fight.

If we go back in and then all the way down, that'll lead us to two residences. In that same tunnel, the flight of stairs all the way to the top leads to the sanctuary.

: I saw the priests from the Althena cult breaking the statue in front of the city! But, since my mom and dad like the cult priests, they'll never believe me. What should I do?

I'm not surprised, but it's still quite galling. They really don't want you to like the Althena-ites, do they?

: I was thinking I should also join so I won't be lonely.

: If I were ten years younger, I'd enlist to serve under him in a heartbeat!

Although her parents don't seem to agree.

: It can be maneuvered on both land and sea!

That would explain how Leo was able to catch up with us so easily. And will continue to do so.

: Lord Leo is so cool! He must be the greatest guy to work under!

Okay, okay, I get it, everyone likes Leo. Tear down all the statues of Althena and erect ones of Leo instead... his followers would probably be less sleazy, at least.

: I do not know who broke the statue, but it was good for our shrine. Donations are up 1000% over last month. It's wonderful!

Speaking of which! Yeah, I wonder who could have broken the statue.

: Supposedly, a terrible evil has been sealed there that could destroy our world.

That's... not ominous or suspicious at all. Or does Althena really suck at picking out real estate or something?

: I mean, this is just a statue, but man! It's so lifelike... I could stare at that form all day long and never get tired of it! I hate to say it, but that statue has got me entertaining impure thoughts!

What is with all the people who want to bone god? That is not a sentence I'd ever thought I'd type.

: Can I put you down for 10s a lap? It's for the Goddess, you know.
: You don't look like you're hobbling to me! Forget it, buster!

I have no idea.

I think Lucia might be getting antsy. Let's go bust her out, shall we! Inflintrating music, please.

All right, we're on the Destiny... and it was completely unguarded. I'd wonder if we were walking into a trap, if not for the fact that Leo wouldn't really need to trap us. Well, let's poke around.

Ha ha! It's mine now. See ya later suckas!

Nah, you can't do that. I wish you could.

Anyway, that door you see below is an actual door, so what's behind door number one?

Oh crap! poo poo, what do we do? Guess we'll have to fight our wa-

Oh. Uh, okay. You have absolutely no problem with the strangers stomping around on your super-elite military vessel?

And that's a lot of books in the background. Wonder what kinda literature they keep aboard the Destiny.

Moving on.

: Excuse me, lint-brain, but I think you had better...
: Uh, ahem, Ruby. I think he's talking about keeping you away from the gunpowder. You know... fire plus gunpowder equals monster explosion?

Wait, this is where you keep the gunpowder?! And worse you'll do to us is just... suggest we leave? I don't think it's gonna be hard to rescue Lucia.

: No one in their right mind would try to storm the weapons room on the Destiny!

...that is such a stupid statement on so many levels I can't even begin to deconstruct it.

All right, no Lucia here. Fortunately, there's another door on the deck. Let's check it out.

This was why I wasn't concerned about the statue, by the way. Rather handy thing for the Destiny to have, ain't it?

Wait, I was just in the weapon room and they were cool wi- you people are confusing!

These guys are a bit tough; they like to defend a lot, and it will often take two Poe Swords to take them down.

Unless you use Ronfar's Herbal Breeze, which will knock the Guards out without any difficulty.

Enemies that are asleep take double damage or quadruple damage(I'm not 100% sure) so Hiro can easily one-shot 'em at that point. Have Hiro defend the first round while Ronfar casts Herbal Breeze, then have Hiro take the Guard out. That's it.

And we're gonna be fighting a lot more of 'em.

A lot more.

As you can imagine, it gets pretty tedious. It's not even remotely difficult, and the kicker? If you're still somehow having problems, you can just go and touch up at the Althena statue. The enemies won't respawn.

At least the rewards are pretty decent. Ronfar went up two levels and Hiro went up one.

And I finally got Ronfar's Health up to level 8, netting him Calm Litany! Calm Litany is the all party heal spell, and Ronfar's most useful spell.

By the way, Ronfar is going to need 1383 Magic Experience to reach level 9. Level 8 only required 853 MExp. You see what I mean about the cost sky-rocketing?

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some of the things the guards say once you beat the tar outta them can be kinda funny.

All right, this looks like an engine room... or we've accidentally stumbled into Phantasy Star 4. Either way is cool with me. Let's take a peek aro-

There we go.

: I must see Althena in person! Your world hangs in the balance!
: Hold on there, Miss. First, I want to know why you came to our world. What's your real plan?
: Answer me!
: I... I can't. You wouldn't understand. You're only... human.

Christ Lucia, you are not helping your case here! What would be so hard to understand about "there's this really smug faceless guy coming to gently caress up your poo poo and I'm trying to prevent that"?

: Excuses, excuses! You are a miserable liar. And I now have no choice but to carry out my orders. Engage the force field, and let no one open it without me personally present!
: Yes sir!

: Your crime is treason. Your sentence: execution. You will be hanged tomorrow at noon.

See Lucia, if you had just tried to explain yourself to him...

: She looks so... so normal. I can't believe that she has that kind of power.
: Ah, never let the curve of a hip or the charm in a woman's eyes sway you. Many a man has made that mistake, to their eternal damnation. I just hope Althena's right about this one...

Leo doesn't seem as sure of himself as usual. Hm. Kinda wanna check up on something.

Back in a sec, Lucia!

If we try and follow Leo, we'll find he went to his quarters.

: Hmm... that is one possibility. Perhaps she would be of use to us. I'll talk to her. If she cooperates, I may be able to stay her execution.

Huh. You know, that may not be a bad idea. If Leo lets Lucia see the Goddess in return, she'll gladly cooperate. And Lucia gets a pretty direct line to Althena, helped by one of Althena's head honchos no less! And if Althena still wants her dead then Lucia was faking the whole time. It's a pretty solid idea...

Nah, let's just break her out of jail.

: What are you doing here? Don't you know you'll be killed if they catch you?
: Duh! We didn't think they were going to throw us a huge party!
: Then hurry! We must get out of here before Leo returns!

: Why does Leo want to kill me? Who has ordered my death? I just don't understand. He said that he's working for Althena.
: I don't understand his mission either. But he is in Althena's Guard....
: If I don't make it to see Althena before Zophar comes, we're all in danger. But, in my current form, I cannot protect even myself. In this form, meeting the Goddess Althena will be very... Oh, Hiro, what should I do?

All right guys, this is a big choice, so we'll need to take a vote. You'll have by-

Ah. Oh of those "yes/yes" choices. I chose number 1, if case you wanted to know.

: I want to see Althena, too. If she really is here, she'll help us.

I'm pretty sure all it changes is that one line.

: Lucia, I'll help you until we get to see the Goddess. This will be the start of a great adventure. I can feel it...
: But Hiro, my task is very dangerous. It is one that you cannot fully understand.

It's savin' the world! That's the only thing an RPG hero does understand!

: Yeah, Hiro! Are you sure you want to help her? I mean, Lord Leo wants to kill her, and now he wants us, too! Besides, I think she's crowdin' our little party.
: I'm sorry if I've offended you, Ruby. I meant you no harm. Perhaps it would be better if I left.
: Hey! Pipe down, you guys... someone's coming! Get outta sight!

: I bet her little friends have something to do with this! Guards! Guards! Come quickly! The destroyer has escaped!

Oh Leo. Leo Leo Leo.... at this point you're making it too easy. You know, I'm actually starting to pity the guy. Let's not lock him i-

Or Ronfar will just up and do it. Thought Leo was your best buddy! That is cold, man.

: drat! What are you doing Ronfar?! Why are you with these criminals?! Do you idiots know what you've done? That girl will be the end of us all!

Not moments earlier, you were willing to entertain her request to see Althena!

: Hey there, Leo! We've got our reasons, old bud! Trust me on this one!

Not going to explain those reasons... actually, Ronfar really doesn't know why Hiro is helping Lucia, does he? I mean, he could reasonably guess, but still I'd want a more concrete explanation before I betrayed my best friend.

: I just wanted to say that I'm going with Hiro to Pentagulia. Thought you'd like to know...
: Don't you know that girl will be the end of our world! She's insane!
: I don't think so, old bud. I believe that she holds the key to something we don't yet understand. I'm going to help her to accomplish her mission, and if that means going to Pentagulia, so be it. Besides, I can use the opportunity to see Mauri.

: If we head out from Dalton and go north, we can get to Pentagulia by crossing through the forest of illusion.

He's... making that seem more straightforward that it actually is. No, getting to Pentagulia will not be that easy... not that easy at all...

But the journey of a million miles begins with a single step, so let's get to stepping.

After we taunt Leo for a bit.

: Don't think you'll get away with this! I won't rest until you're found! You idiots don't have a prayer of success!
: Nee ner, nee ner, nee ner! Seems like Leo is running on about half a brain. Looks like he's the idiot! Hee hee. Let's get out of here, Hiro!

Next time... I think you all will enjoy it. It will involve pain. My pain.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 31, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In the PSX version this is pretty much the 1 area in the game with drops that aren't herbs and the occasional star light. Instead you can snag armor and shields for Hiro a tier or 2 early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I love this silly-rear end game, I ain't even give a poo poo. Course, never owning a Saturn, I never got to play the originals...

(On the other hand, I got the nice collectors editions on SSSC and EBC, so that's nice.)

Glad to see you're still at it after Silver Star, Camel Pimp. More power to you!

• Locked thread