Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Can I put this in the OP? It's a pretty succinct summary of how annoying the MExp thing can get.

Go right ahead!

If you want, I'll try to get some screenshots of a great bug that occurs because off the magic experience menu because of the changes to the American version of Eternal Blue.

I don't know if I'll be able to manage it though (you need about 27000 spare magic XP sitting around at specific points in the game, and I don't know where my copy of Eternal Blue is anyway without digging - thanks, moving), but I can still explain it. If you want step by step directions to do it yourself I can give those too, assuming you don't already know them.

The next time you can do it is Zulan, but it's easier to do a little bit later. If you have the MXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Prism posted:

Go right ahead!

If you want, I'll try to get some screenshots of a great bug that occurs because off the magic experience menu because of the changes to the American version of Eternal Blue.

I don't know if I'll be able to manage it though (you need about 27000 spare magic XP sitting around at specific points in the game, and I don't know where my copy of Eternal Blue is anyway without digging - thanks, moving), but I can still explain it. If you want step by step directions to do it yourself I can give those too, assuming you don't already know them.

The next time you can do it is Zulan, but it's easier to do a little bit later. If you have the MXP.

Ah, crap, I could have! Eh, didn't have the MExp.

I've heard of said bug, but I, uh, kinda wanted that MExp for something else. Maybe I'd have enough by Taben's Peak, but that's a lot of MExp, man, and I need new spells! I've seen guides for hacking saves, but I honestly know nothing about hacking saves. If you can pull the glitch off, I'd be thrilled to see it because I've never done the bug myself (although I have seen the guides).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Ah, crap, I could have! Eh, didn't have the MExp.

I've heard of said bug, but I, uh, kinda wanted that MExp for something else. Maybe I'd have enough by Taben's Peak, but that's a lot of MExp, man, and I need new spells! I've seen guides for hacking saves, but I honestly know nothing about hacking saves. If you can pull the glitch off, I'd be thrilled to see it because I've never done the bug myself (although I have seen the guides).

I have done it before, but that was a long time ago and I definitely didn't keep any screenshots. I'll see if I can dig my copy out and pull it off. Given I'd have to get a bit into the game it wouldn't be immediate though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is the drummer bot persistent like in the remake? Kind of weird for something to not disappear when defeated.

Looks like they changed the animations of the sprites that got status afflictions in the remake.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

I never played the original Lunar EB, but I've been curious for awhile, and it's great having this LP and the Complete version LP going at once.

Also, Jean, my favorite character even if her Karate outfit/style change feels like a downgrade from long range death missiles when you first get it

Also, an interesting early change, in this, Ruby is the fast talker to get Leo off Lucia's back, but in the remake, it's Hiro. A small change, but an important one for setting up our hero's personality.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So everybody in the current party has one magic line, while Lemina has two? Is that about right?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Glazius posted:

So everybody in the current party has one magic line, while Lemina has two? Is that about right?

Ronfar has two lines that can be raised with magic XP also, Chance and Health. Lemina has Fire and Ice, Hiro has Wind and Jean has Dance.

Ronfar's Soul, Hiro's Sword, and Lemina's Mystic all get spells based on character level instead and don't require any magic XP (and can't be given it even if you want to). Unlike the lines that takes XP, none of them upgrade into better spells; they have only four spells apiece, which are gained at character levels 1, 10, 24 and 36.

Lucia does her spell thing on her own and it's based on Hiro's level despite having way more spells than most level-dependent lines (14 of them).

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 7, 2013

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nice LP ,but I've got a question, is the Mexp shared between all party members or does every one have their own stash of points to use?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Hel posted:

Nice LP ,but I've got a question, is the Mexp shared between all party members or does every one have their own stash of points to use?

One big pot that everyone has to dip into.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Jenner posted:

One big pot that everyone has to dip into.

Oh wow, that is terrible! I'm glad I own the PSX version. Now if only I could get my ps2 to run without graphical glitches.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 12: Two Boring Updates For the Price of One!

Hey, we're finally on the mountain pass! YAAAAY

Yeah this dungeon is kind of boring. Sorry.

Sometimes I think I'm never going to find a monster sprite that wasn't taken from Lunar 1, apart from bosses. Not going to find one in this dungeon!

Let's test out Lemina, then. Unlike Jean, her AOE spells have a pretty decent range on them. I honestly don't think there's a lot of practical different between Fire Ring and Ice Wall aside from the element and that Ice Wall takes one more 1 MP (I don't know either). Let's demo Fire Ring for now.

It's a nice spell. Now, I'd like to demo the rest of her spells, but while I was playing I started to realize something. First of all, Lemina can use her staff like an item.

The Water Staff's spell is basically Lemina's Ice Pick, although it doesn't do quite as much damage. It still does a respectable amount, especially considering it's free. Banshee Fowls are particularly weak to it, but it still does respectable damage to the Wyburn. Who can cast that spell, actually.

It's a bit nasty. They telegraph it when their eyes are flashing. Oh! And the Banshee Fowl have a special attack too!

They, uh, throw their head at you. As far as I can tell, it doesn't inflict a status. It just hits you hard.

Anyway, it's here that I realize that the enemies, while their HP is high, they're fairly weak and I've got enough party members that I can take them out without MP. So I didn't use MP, with the exception of healing spells. This is actually a good idea, as this is a surprisingly long haul, but it doesn't make this dungeon any less boring.

And the enemies don't give good rewards either. That's from one of the larger enemy groups, too.

Nor is it interesting to navigate. You have two different areas; in door and outdoor.

And this is indoor. The only difference between the two is that one enemy appears indoors and not outdoors.

This is the enemy. Grog Snake.

This is their special attack, a body slam. Again, it just does a lot of damage.

No, there's no maze here, either. There is one branching path; that's it.

Here it is. Go left first. There's treasure.

Here is the treasure. Two of 'em are just Herbs.

And this is the only noteworthy bit of treasure in the whole dungeon. It's a decent upgrade to Jean's defense, and it also increases her attack a little bit. Not bad.

Hell, there's no music! Just the sound of wind blowing. Listen to the opening credit song again instead. It's very pretty. Frankly, the most interesting thing about the dungeon is its name: Bandit Butte. Because if you take off the "e", it's Bandit Butt. He he. Butt.

Oh, and Lucia has a new spell. Mystic Defender raises defense by a bit, and she'll always cast it on, well, herself. So it's pretty much useless to me. Keeping up your streak, ain't ya Lucia?

All right, screw this. Let's fast forward to the summit and the only interesting part of this dungeon.

: This feeling... it's... it's... somehow familiar...

Boss fight!

Yeah, that's how the game sets this fight up. Some... random rear end in a top hat jumps you out of nowhere.

And then he freezes half your party. What a dick!

That was needlessly dramatic.

So the Phantom Sentry. Or "Phantom Sntry" if you prefer. You know, I prefer "Bandit Butt." Let's call him Bandit Butt.

Despite the fact he froze over half your party, this isn't going to be any trouble.

Well that didn't take long.

And then he did that. I have no idea why he did that. And he just stayed there for the rest of the battle.

The game was kind and the freeze wore off after the first round. With Ronfar back in commission, I should be fine. How much damage can this guy do, anyway?

That's a bit underwhelming.

He does get two of those, but... yeah, this isn't going to be a problem.

I'd like to note that very few enemies in this game get more than 1 hit, and most of them bosses. I don't think a single enemy gets three attacks. In Lunar 1, though, enemies with multiple attacks was pretty common. Hell, one of the penultimate bosses got four.

With even less HP than Plantella, so-so damage, and no ability to inflict (further) status ailments, the Bandit Butt isn't remotely a challenge.

I had Lemina mess around a bit with her spells, so here's Flame. It's rather visually uninteresting.

And here's her Ice Wall. It doesn't do any more damage than Ice Pick, so there is no point in using it in this battle, but there you go.

In any case, the battle ends pretty quickly.

And the Bandit Butt must return to his home planet.

But he left us some presents. Ain't that sweet? Lemina gained two levels, while everyone else gained one!

I haven't actually shown it, but you get range increases every so often.

Man the game really gives Jean an insane amount of MP.

: I warn you! Do not interfere with us!
: Your time to come to this world is not yet! It is my duty to protect the gateway!
: ...
: Uh... what was that all about?

That is a very good question Ruby.

: It... it can't be... we need to get moving again. Let's continue.

So uh, you care to explain this? Any of this? No? All right.

Well that was a boss. At least it was easy. Barely drained my MP. Good thing too, because we're only half-way through the dungeon.

You know what happens in the rest of this dungeon? Absolutely gently caress all. The path is completely linear, the treasure is very easy to find and not all that noteworthy (we do get a Starlight, that's nice) and the battles are easy. Everyone gained a level. Lucia dies a lot because I don't heal her. I abused the hell out of Lemina's staff, and I broke out an attack spell once.

And that's all she wrote.

If we go south, that'll lead back into Takkar, but the gate is still locked and we can't even talk to the priest there. So instead we head north, to Nota.

By the way, hope you have been super careful with your MP, because it is a long journey. Also, the last Althena Statue was before the mountain, and we can't top off back in Takkar.

The enemies aren't new either; just the same enemies we've fought on the world map before.

I'd like to re-iterate that this is a rather long walk.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAtttte- sorry, I'm not sure what came over me.

But we made it!

Welcome to the lovely town of Nota. Since that dungeon was boring as tar, let's explore Nota just so this update has something of note in it.

And rob the people blind, as is our prerogative.

: Pretty soon, his store will even be bigger than the one in Meribia!
: Well now, that's quite a boast. The store in Meribia is gigantic!

I believe this is the first mention of Meribia. Meribia is one of the few cities that are in both games, along with Vane. In Lunar 1, Meribia was the biggest city in the game, and a bustling trade center. Also some rear end in a top hat rips out off and you have to crawl through the sewers to get to him because they gotta cram in the sewer level somewhere.

: It's cool that dad is the biggest merchant in Nota, but I wish he'd stay home more often. I miss him when he's on the road... uh, don't tell him I said that, okay? He'd just call me weak...

Hey, it's not weak to miss your dad! Did Yonah missing her dad make her weak? No! Her disease did that!

...:smith:

Oh course you fuckers are here too. All right, let's go check out their opulent shrine an-

Oh. This is... kind of homey. Apart from the clones staring at each other.

: Now, it's a gift to the service of Althena. I guess I'm what you'd call a true believer.
: True sucker is more like it! You mean to say that you got nothing for this house? I can't even imagine what could have been going through your mind!

Oh Lemina, don't be so cynical. This would a touching story of self-sacrifice if he, you know, hadn't donated his home to a cult.

: It's really quite a safe and effective stimulant and health tonic. The only minor side effect is atomic diarrhea...
: Atomic diarrhea? Geez, I wonder how dangerous a dragon with that would be? Talk about a blast that last! Whoo! I don't want to think about it...

Neither do I. Why does it always come back to poop with these games?

: Take my word for it, the shopkeepers here can rip you off, so watch yourself!

All right, whatever you say lady.

: Is she talkin' to me? I'm no kid!
: Maybe she was just watching how you act...

Do I need to remind ya'll of Ronfar's actual official age? No? Okay.

: In fact, I'll be happy to satisfy any of your needs. Just ask.
: Uh, is she saying what I think she's saying?

Wait, any of our needs? Well, we do have this guy we want to leave us alone...

Oh wait, this is a sex thing, not an assassin thing, isn't it? Nevermind then.

: It's a very strange place. I wonder what's there?
: Maybe it's filled with mounds of ancient treasure! Let's go find out!
: Whoa there, little miss! That place is rumored to be crawlin' with the undead! I certainly don't want to fight things I can't kill. Especially if they're hell-bent on killing me! I'd say those ancient ruins are a lose-lose proposition. I'll pass.

We're going to those ruins. For the record, I'm with Ronfar on this one.

Wait, there's a Dragonmaster? When?

: He's the greatest of the Four Heroes, and he works with Althena herself!

So... the Dragonmaster is one of the Four Heroes? I mean, the new crop of Four Heroes. Is it Leo? I wouldn't think so, you think I'd have heard about that. I mean, if the Dragonmaster was pimping around on a steamship you'd think people would mention that a bit.

: C'mon, a beautiful flower for a beautiful lady, what do ya say?
: I'd rather have a beautiful 1000S coin. Can you arrange that, too?

WorkingDesigns.png

: Listen, I got the secret to making tons of money. Come closer and I'll tell you how to do it.
: Really? A secret way to make big money? Spill it!
: Okay, you've got to stare into my eyes... stare really hard...
: Oh... my... I seem to... to be getting.... sleepy...
: Hehehe.... sucker!

Oh. Oh wait. You did not-

That son of a bitch took 1000 silver from me! Jackass!

: I tried to warn you, but did you listen? Noooo, that would be too easy!

Yeah, just rub salt into the wound. Thanks a pantload, lady.

gently caress y'all I'm getting some equipment.

There are two pieces of armor we already have, the Iron Armor to the left and the Aura Dress to the right. Everything else is new. The Steel Armor pictured is an upgrade for Hiro, and we finally get a shield! The Wood Shield only adds 2 defense, but I'm happy for any upgrades I get. At the end is the Chain Helm; since I didn't buy a Bandana for Hiro, this is the first piece of headgear he gets. Although the Chain Helm only adds 2 to defense as well. I buy Hiro all three of the new equipment, and I buy a Chain Helm for Ronfar, since that's the only piece of equipment here he can equip.

While Hiro's HP is still sad as hell, all these upgrades to his armor really, really start to boost his durability. Magic will still rip him a new one, though.

There's only two new weapons in the weapon shop: the Great Sword, and the Iron Fan. The "Blasts Enemy" thing you see just means that sometimes the Great Sword pushes enemies away from you. It's not that exciting. I buy both of the weapons, although I probably shouldn't have bothered with the Great Sword.

I'd like to note that Lemina can equip the Bow, and I could buy for her if I wanted to. I don't, though. Her staff's magic does pretty decent damage, and it boosts her wisdom by 10.

Also, man I have a lot of money still. I don't remember having so much money last time I played this game. And I'm not grinding. I got lost a bit in the Illusion Woods, and had to make a major backtrack to treasure in Bandit Butte, but that's it.

Hm, well ain't gonna complain about my surplus. Since I'm done here, let's move on.

: Give me a break! You're not going to sell anything with a pitch like that! Why don't you try jazzing it up a little bit? You'll sell more, I guarantee it.

Now I want some snack mix, man.

: It's the only trade route between the two halves of the city.

I'm starting to have an uneasy feeling. Last time we went to a town with a bridge connecting parts of it together, it ended badly. Although this time I don't hear the faint sound of banjo music, so it'll probably be okay.

Well, balls.

: You did well to get this far, but you'll not escape my grasp again. Men, restrain our friends.

Yeap, we are totally secured now.

: Wait right there. I'll be right up to inspect our little 'catch.'

: Why is Lord Leo interested in us?

Oh right... that. Forgot to mention something...

: Jean, you are so dim at times. He's obviously interested in Lucia.

How can tell that, Lemina? He didn't address Lucia directly or anything. Okay, Lucia is super obvious and weird, but still. Unless she means "interested" which... still makes no sense.

: Shut up, Lemina! Do you want him to hear us?
: Okay, kiddies, knock it off! We've got to get out of this mess, and fast...

What daring plan do our intrepid heroes have for getting out of this sticky situation?!

: Let's make a run for it!

: Ha! At last we've caught you, destroyer! You thought your clever girlish disguise would throw me off, but you were wrong. I'm on to your game. This is the end for you!

Oh no, will they be able to escape?

So, uh, you just gonna stand there?

Leo really needs new men.

: We're going to have to go to the Carnival and try Bulgy's Magic Arrow.

Wait... haven't I heard of that before-

Wait, no...

: It's the only way we're going to get past Nota and Lord Leo.

Jean, no, this is a terrible idea.

: The carnival? That sounds like fun! How does the Magic Arrow work?
: It's probably better you don't know.

It's probably better we do know, since we're planning on riding it. Is there really no better option?

: Pardon the obvious pun, but it sounds like our only shot at escape.
: Carnival? What is a carnival? Have I seen one?
: Honestly, Lucia. Sometimes I am just amaze at how shallow your knowledge is!

Have we told Lemina, or anyone else, that Lucia is a space alien yet? We probably should.

: If you pay me, I'll tell you all about carnivals.
: Knock it off, Lemina! This is no time for games! The carnival is on the north part of the Madoria Plains. We'd better move.

Besides, Lemina, we have a communal money bag. Any money she'd pay you would go right back into the pile.

With Althena's Guard sitting on the bridge, one would have to wonder what these folks think about the soldiers blocking their only path to the other side of the city.

: Like, do you know what this means? Althena is watching our town personally! Like, I think I have to get my nails done...

One would have to wonder what a non-idiot thinks.

: People are stuck here and drinking like fish until the bridge reopens.

Despite some people profiting from this, no, no one's really happy.

...well said?

: They don't see the art... I just brought in a new shipment of toenail clippings. Wanna see 'em?

:stare:

think we need to leave Nota. Next time, we go to the circus!!!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The phantom sentry is another thing they left out of the remake. I...think he's connected to one way, way later dungeon? But I may be wrong about that and he has gently caress all to do with anyone whatsoever.

Camel Pimp posted:

: If you pay me, I'll tell you all about carnivals.

Oh I love Lemina.

A question for you, Camel Pimp: What do you use to make those wonderfully smooth gifs for when you're showing off battle stuff? It just looks really good.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Mazed posted:

A question for you, Camel Pimp: What do you use to make those wonderfully smooth gifs for when you're showing off battle stuff? It just looks really good.

Oh, thanks! I just use Virtualdub, where I decimate the frame rate by three (after some experimenting, that seems to get the best gif) then export to animated gif, and then GIMP (I just crop the edges and save it again; it won't look right otherwise.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is this the part in the remake where the guards suddenly appear in the hundreds and get stuck on the bridge? I don't get what he was doing.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
We're far past it now but I could have SWORN this game did have a hot springs scene too... I was almost ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN it wasn't just something added in. I distinctly remember that scene in that context taking place in this game.

... What the heck?

Anyway, Bandit Butt is no Revolver Ocelot, but he tries. :ocelot:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Jenner posted:

We're far past it now but I could have SWORN this game did have a hot springs scene too... I was almost ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN it wasn't just something added in. I distinctly remember that scene in that context taking place in this game.

It's later.

Yes, the remake has two bathing scenes (four, if you count bromides). See that? That's how committed they were to improving the game. :shepface:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jenner posted:

Anyway, Bandit Butt is no Revolver Ocelot, but he tries. :ocelot:

Three bullets are, however, not more than enough to paralyze anything that moves.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Good news everyone, remember that fan site I linked earlier, Lunar-Net, and the aweful state it was in? (Y'know, broken links, 404ing everywhere, a lot of the pages 'under construction' and the whole site was a mess?) Well, the site is coming on its 15 year anniversary of never being finished and I used that fact combined with the fact that we actually have LPs going on here that could use the content to convince them to actually update their goddamn site.

It's shameful they let it rot this long, TBH. The good news is I'm involved with the unfortunate son of a bitch who has undertaken the task of completing the site and he does seem, for the moment, dedicated to seeing it through to the end.

The badish news is that right now it's just the TSS portion that's been updated. (All the music and a bunch of other crap it looks like.) However, if the enthusiasm keeps up we may actually have the loving music for this game up soon. I'll see what I can do about speeding this along. It's a shame I couldn't motivate the guy to get on this when Camel Pimp was doing TSS a few months ago but he was just having none of it.

(Edit: I was hoping to spur the guy into action on it back then and surprise Camel Pimp with a shitload of content and it just didn't work out. Hopefully I can be more successful this time.)

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 19, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

Good news everyone, remember that fan site I linked earlier, Lunar-Net, and the aweful state it was in? (Y'know, broken links, 404ing everywhere, a lot of the pages 'under construction' and the whole site was a mess?) Well, the site is coming on its 15 year anniversary of never being finished and I used that fact combined with the fact that we actually have LPs going on here that could use the content to convince them to actually update their goddamn site.

It's shameful they let it rot this long, TBH. The good news is I'm involved with the unfortunate son of a bitch who has undertaken the task of completing the site and he does seem, for the moment, dedicated to seeing it through to the end.

The badish news is that right now it's just the TSS portion that's been updated. (All the music and a bunch of other crap it looks like.) However, if the enthusiasm keeps up we may actually have the loving music for this game up soon. I'll see what I can do about speeding this along. It's a shame I couldn't motivate the guy to get on this when Camel Pimp was doing TSS a few months ago but he was just having none of it.

(Edit: I was hoping to spur the guy into action on it back then and surprise Camel Pimp with a shitload of content and it just didn't work out. Hopefully I can be more successful this time.)

Hey, that's awesome and you're awesome! If nothing else, it's neat to have the music links up for TSS. (If you've never listened to the music from the original game, give a listen. It was quite good, actually) Fingers crossed!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Of course it's good: it's Noriyuki Idaware.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Little late, but I wanted to mention what happens if you stay around and try to use Lucia to grind in the Blue Spire for too long: Ruby says something like "hey we should hurry up" and you get sent out!

I wanted to see what would happen if you got strong enough to beat the 3 guardians before Leo shot them with the cannon, but I'm not sure it's possible. Maybe with game genie you could hack up your stats a bunch and use some crazy magic to kill them all in one turn? I'm guessing the game just progresses like normal and Leo brags about his cannon regardless of what happens.

Also, the save system in this game is so bad, that when I played this game as a kid I thought there was some sort of problem with the SEGA CD itself when it wouldn't let me save when I ran out of MagExp. I thought I had to clear the internal memory of the system to make room for the save file or something until I came to the disappointing realization that you actually had to spend your drat experience to save.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 19, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

Little late, but I wanted to mention what happens if you stay around and try to use Lucia to grind in the Blue Spire for too long: Ruby says something like "hey we should hurry up" and you get sent out!

That's never happened to me! How far do you have to grind?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Camel Pimp posted:

That's never happened to me! How far do you have to grind?

I did it a long time ago so I forgot how far exactly, but I was using an emulator with fast forward on possibly. I'm pretty sure it's before you get to level 10 though.

Oh I remember now it's actually Lucia who says you need to hurry, and the game doesn't teleport you out, she actually 'seals away' all the monsters in the Blue Spire so there's no more random battles.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 20, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

I did it a long time ago so I forgot how far exactly, but I was using an emulator with fast forward on possibly. I'm pretty sure it's before you get to level 10 though.

Oh I remember now it's actually Lucia who says you need to hurry, and the game doesn't teleport you out, she actually 'seals away' all the monsters in the Blue Spire so there's no more random battles.

Well I'm trying it right now, and let me tell you at home; that's a loving insane amount of grinding. You get, at most, 10 EXP from these battles. At level 5, it takes about 200 EXP for Hiro to level up. I forget how bad it is the remake.

EDIT: Actually, she does it at level 7, which is still a lot of grinding. (Or perhaps the trigger is something else; I'm not sure)

I can't believe I never found this as a kid.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 20, 2013

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Camel Pimp posted:

Well I'm trying it right now, and let me tell you at home; that's a loving insane amount of grinding. You get, at most, 10 EXP from these battles. At level 5, it takes about 200 EXP for Hiro to level up. I forget how bad it is the remake.

EDIT: Actually, she does it at level 7, which is still a lot of grinding. (Or perhaps the trigger is something else; I'm not sure)

I can't believe I never found this as a kid.

Heheh, maybe now you can test out what happens if you manage to kill all 3 of the boss guardians before Leo blasts them? :) The emulator should have cheat options in there somewhere.

The trigger might just be the number of battles fought there too.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 13: What Not to Wear

The walk to the Carnival is fairly short, thankfully.

You just want to follow this trail of paths that are suspiciously large enough to let a land vehicle drive by. Once you reach of the trail, go right.

And here we are!

Well this just looks whimsical!

Awesome! Let's go see all the stuff!

OH MY GOD THAT MAN IS ON FIRE.

: You're looking at the world's best human flame-thrower! Watch in amazement as I spew streams of flame high into the air.

Oh. Nevermind.

: So he spits fire. Big deal. I can do that too.
: Wow, that looks like some kind of natural ability you have there. Wanna join the carnival?
: Uh, no. Thanks.

Oh come on Ruby, where else is a flame-spewing not cat going to get a job? And it suddenly occurs to me how many RPG heroes are basically bums.

: I've wanted to be a carnival groupie since I was a boy, and my dream's come true!
: What are... carnival groupies?

I would like to know the same thing. I mean, when I think of groupies, I think of... ew...

: This is some sort of gamblin' joint? Whoo-hoo! I'll get my dice!
: Ronfar? Where is your head? We don't have time to spend gambling!
: Speaking of party poopers, I'd say that little miss money-pants is it! Besides, I can double my money in no time flat!
: Double... did you say double your money? Well, maybe we do have just a little time to hang around here... as long as you double my money, too.
: Look at that, Hiro. Ronfar's got Lemina hooked now! How completely pathetic!

Maybe I don't go to carnivals or circuses enough, but how often do they have gambling in there? I mean, legal and out in the open.

: If you win, you win big, and if you lose, so what? You can play again?

It is never, ever worth it to bother with the gambling mini games in any RPG, but hell, let's give it a go.

: Ah! Just what I like to see! Someone who can take control of their destiny!
: Well then, mister, you won't mind if I insure my destiny by checking your dice.
: Oh no, no. That's not necessary. We're a licensed establishment. There's no cheating here.

Yeah, sadly, this is just the odd-even dice game that Ronfar plays, just for money this time. Why couldn't they bring back blackjack from the first game? Actually, apparently this game is called "cho-han" and has certain cultural connotations and... blackjack is still more fun. Sorry.

That's, uh, kind of an odd spread of numbers. Well, I'm pretty sure I have more than 10,000 silver, so... sure, give it a go.

: 10,000S?! We have a player here, folks! Gather round and watch the fun!
: You can't gamble that much! If you lose, we'll be ruined!
: Kid, ya gotta have 10,000S before you can bet it! How about something smaller?

Uh... what?

I had 10,000 silver.

This is how much money I had after buying all the new equipment and selling the old stuff. Did they just not expect you to have this much money? Again, I am not grinding. Or maybe Ruby just took the money away from Hiro, who clearly cannot be trusted with it. Ah well. Anywho, the bottom two bets are simply too small to be worth it, although I suppose you could save-state your way to a fortune here, but I have no clue why you'd want to.

: That was the song my wife used to love... I sang it to her when I proposed marriage. I was such a shy boy, not really sure of what I was doing... But, I was headed off to war, and I knew that I had to ask her before I left.

What a sweet story! Even if this man is clearly senile; I have no idea what war he's talking about.

"When I was alone as one, my eyes were as blind, I know. Sky, brilliant with blue elegance, I couldn't behold. When I was alone as one"
: La la la la la...

What is this, then? Lucia's getting into this whole song thing. Interesting...

: I just made a new batch! The gas inside them can lift you into the sky!
: Hiro! Hiro! Please? Can we get some balloons? I want to fly with one!
: What are you talking about, Ruby? You always fly!
: Ronfar, you are the biggest drag on my enthusiasm! Every adventure party has a pooper, that's why we invited you.... party pooper!

No, no, no, we buy all these balloons for everyone else, and then we just fly everywhere! Be all like "gently caress y'all land-bound suckers 'cuz we can fly!" Actually, that's didn't really work in the first game, did it? Still a better idea than what we're about to do.

: Yeah, long time, no see! Say, what happened to you? What's up with the outfit?
: Well, I changed my clothes for the carnival. I wasn't getting much dancing work. But as a bunny-girl, I'm really in demand!
: Isn't that kind of demeaning to women?
: Uh... well...

Quick, look over there! A way to avoid a feminism derail! Swoosh!

: I'm scared. Mommy and daddy are back home, and I don't know how to get there...
: You have special clothes. Are you a member of the carnival?
: Carnival....?
: Do you do tricks or some fun thing? Maybe you can make my grampa appear... I'm scared that he won't come back.

: I want to go play and see the carnival sights!

Man, are all adults totally horrible or what?

: Say, why don't you let me put it in our freak gallery? It'll make you rich!
: Stop that silly talk this instant! That's so inhumane even I wouldn't do it!
: Says who? This girl is talking about serious money!

So, uh, you're cool with being in the freak gallery? Because I don't really mind. I'm certain, I dunno, Lemina could carry the party inventory instead and maybe she won't charge MExp to save... oh who am I kidding.

: But that's foolish, right? ...uh, he he, right?

: Can you tell me if my future has money in it? Lots of it?!
: Ah, sweet one, the more you seek, the greater the cost.
: Yeah, yeah. More cost, I got it. So do I get rich or not?

If we talk to the fortune teller, we get a second fortune.

: Tell me if I will gain true love!
: Little one, you will find your perfect match very soon...
: Are you sure I haven't already?

...moving on.

There are actually two shops here, although the other one is way in the back. The item shop does sell a new item, the Vitality Vial. It cures a myriad of status ailments. Surprisingly cost-effective, too, but then again, Ronfar can do the same thing with clogging up my inventory.

: Don't they know that kids shouldn't gamble?

: Have you been to the giggle den? It's really fun! Sorta touchy-feelly.

:raise: Don't think kids should go into a "touchy-feelly" giggle den either... So let's go!

So the Giggle Den is a bit odd. It's completely dark, and there's a bit of a maze in it. It's a pain in the rear end, really, but you've got some... interesting people in it.

: Some people say it's filled with spooks. I think it's just Vega and his men...

Are you referring to the Street Fighter Vega or...

What in the hell are you talking about?

: Gwah, ha ha ha! Oh... hey! I found 1S! Imagine that... gwah ha ha!

You are perhaps just a bit too excited about one silver coin. Also, yes, you do get that silver coin. No, that's the only one you get.

As you might imagine, though, the whole place is filled with pervs.

: It's soft and gushy... he he he... Oh no... oh man... it's... it's... grandpa's butt!

...and people with some major problems.

It seems like a bad idea to play a "game" with a total stranger in complete darkness. Although if you want to look at it in the different way... that's the best kind of game to play.

: Well now! Someone has quite the wrong impression of my game! It is not intended to be 'fun,' okay? You don't deserve to play! Just... go away!

Oh. Uh, okay. So you want to play an unfun game? Well, too bad, we're playing Lunar: Eternal Blue. :colbert: Next time we'll play... I dunno, Dragon Song and that'll make you happy.

No we won't. Because that game doesn't exist. Don't be silly.

What the hell? Is this the game? This better not be going where I think it's-

: Oh! That's your foot!

Oh. Whew. That, uh, could have gone to a bad place.

: Where is this? What am I touching now? Oh! That's your hair!

Okay. You can stop now.

: Where is this? What am I touching now? Oh! That's your cheek!

: Where is this? What am I touching now? Oh! That's your nose!

And my head, shoulders, knees, and toes! I get it!

: Where is this? What am I touching now? Oh! That's your... your... ewww!

...:stare:

: Well, I've had my fun. Guess we'll call it quits.

We need to leave.

So anyway, Jean's caravan is in the back.

Here's the second store, but it mostly sells stuff we already have. The Ritual Dagger is new. It's a Ronfar only-weapon. It's a slight upgrade to his bow, and it can freeze enemies, but it lacks the long-distance of his current weapon. Which is the reason I didn't buy at the time, and now I'm kicking myself. I'll... explain later.

: I'm sure you've worked hard to become so. Have you seen me dance? ...just wondering...

Me-ow, Jean.

: Love we once knew? I think you're thinking about that doll in your closet. We were never in love.

...nope. Not going there.

: Mirrors, mirrors 'round your souls. Which will take you where you'll go? Mirrors, mirrors will take you where? A side for here, a side for there. Pick your side and step on in. Take a chance to go again.

This, by the way, is the only hint we get for an upcoming dungeon. Some of you may say that this doesn't sound particularly helpful, and how in the hell are we supposed to remember this? And you would be right.

: What's the matter, Jean?
: Listen Giban, I don't have time to tell you everything that's going on right now. In short, Althena's cult has blocked the passage to get to western Nota and beyond. Giban, I want you to use the magic arrow to fly us to west Nota.
: ...you can't be serious!? The magic arrow has not been fully tested at that distance!
: Who's in charge of this drunken revelry?! Come forth! I am Leo, White Knight of Althena's Guard. Again, who is in charge?!

Again?!

: Oh dear... they've found you... Don't worry Jean, I'll take care of this.

Fun fact: they didn't bother to animate Giban's sprite in any way, so he just glides over to Leo. Like a boss.

: She's dressed in an unusual red cloth. Have you seen her?
: As you can see, sir, we've been here for some time, but no one that fits your description passed through here.
: I trust that you are telling the truth... but I warn you. It is not wise to betray my trust! Remember that!

You know, for a zealous crusader, Leo is surprisingly trusting.

: All right men, search the surrounding area! Leave no stone unturned!

: Jean, you don't have to thank me. I would hide anybody that Althena's Guard is searching for. I've seen them punish too many innocent people. They have no honor... You know, Lucia is too easy to spot in that clothing. Jean, why don't you take her to the costume tent and get her some new clothes?

...but I like Lucia's character design...

: New clothes?! But I've never worn any other!
: Don't worry Lucia, I'll help you find your style.
: I'll help you too! I love doing makeovers!
: Don't leave me out! I wanna help too!
: Jean, you know where the costumes are. Help yourself.

Now we're just Hiro and Ronfar. Now the ladies are probably going to take a while, since we all know all girls love their make-overs. Well, I don't, but apparently girls love make-overs. Whatever. Anyway, let's leave them to their-

: Look! There's a tear in the tent. Waddya say? Wanna grab an eyeful?!

I am very disappointed in you two :colbert: Well, uh, guess we're grabbing an eyeful too.

: Which one are you going to choose?

: I just must... blend in better with the local people here...

"I just must?"

: The type of clothing does not matter.
: Come on Lucia! Of course it matters. You have to make a statement with your dress!
: You should choose the most expensive garments, since you get them for free! ...what have you got picked out?

Hey kids, guuuuess what? Makeover montage!!!

By the way, there's a ton of small cutscenes at this point, so I lumped most of them into one video.

: Well, it's definitely pink.
: I think the bow is kinda cute!
: But she looks like a birthday cake! Next!

: Well, that disguise might work...
: Shee-ya! No way! It's too Annie Lennox!

Oh! Can we dress her like Annie Lennox?! Get a nice suit, cut her hair, dye it orange... although how are we going to find cows out here?

: Yeah, too far west! Next!

Well, I liked my idea.

Oh that's just mean you guys.

: That's one's not too bad...
: It's definitely you, Lucia!
: Do you... really think this is my color?
: No! We were just joking!
: Next!

: I can't see anything! Hiro, let's trade positions!
: In a minute, Ronfar. You see this stuff everyday!
: ...what?! Hey! Nothing like this!

"I mean, I've seen titties, but not makeovers!" I have to admit, I don't quite see the allure. I will never understand the male psyche... or the female one, apparently :(

: Now move! If I don't get a glimpse I'm really going to be pissed. ...ungh... there... perfect view!
: Ronfar, let me see!
: Oh yes! Babydoll, come to papa! ...Hiro, stop it! I'll let you see when I'm finished! Stop! I said cut it out!

You know, everyone seems to think Ronfar's official age being 19 is bullshit... I'm starting to believe it.

: Uh oh! I think they heard us...
: ...?!

Well this is awkward.

: Hiro?!
: You... you... peepers!
: I'm sorry Hiro, but did you want to help me pick out a new outfit?
: Lucia, what are you talking about? Aren't you embarrassed? These two perverts were making their own little peep show!
: ...embarrassed?
: Lucia, you can't let guys take advantage of you like that! You have to show 'em who's boss!
: ...boss?
: Yeah, boss! Watch!

This could get ugly...

: Hey, get out of here!
: Beat it, you perverts!

: Okay, Lucia... come on out!

: They really enhance her charm, don't they?

Let's get a closer look at Lucia's new duds in fancy moving picture format!

It's kind of cute!

: Why are you staring at me like that, Hiro? ...is... is something wrong?
: Oh, uh... no! No! Everything is great! You look fantastic, Lucia!

Aww! How cute. He's probably got a boner right now.

: Just wait a second while I make one final adjustment to the destinationometer... The darned thing's so touchy... If that thing goes out of whack, no tellin' where you'll end up...

Look, kids, don't trust anyone who uses the word "destinationometer" okay? Just... trust me on that.

And who wants to bet something's going to go wrong-

Right on cue!

: I knew the old man was lying! Halt! I've finally found you, traitors!

At least Leo was nice enough to wait until the make-over was done. I appreciate that.

: Come on! Hurry up and get in! Let's get outta here!

Yeah, try to follow us by air, rear end in a top hat!

: Guess again, vermin!

: I'm afraid you itinerary has changed... Ha ha ha!

I hate you Leo. (This one is a separate video, by the way.)

: Where's the personal discomfort receptacle on this thing!?
: The what?!
: The barf bag!

I'd like to mention that I'm just making a guess on what Lemina actually says there. It's kind of hard to tell. If anyone else has a better idea what the hell she said, tell me!

EDIT: Thanks Thuryl!

: Oh no!

And then they died the end.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 19, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

And then they died the end.

Best RPG ever, lock this and send it to Archives! Thanks for sharing this with us Camel Pimp!

IMO I actually think Lucia's new duds are gorgeous. I have always been absolutely fascinated with how the Lunar World has its own kind of tailoring design.

Today unlucky son-of-a-bitch was playing with Eternal Blue's music tracks, with Lunar: TSS you could actually put the CD into your CD drive and play every musical and vocal track from it. But, EB doesn't work like that and all it's songs are in some archaic format that I can't recall the name of now. Been fussing about with it trying to uplift it into MP3s but every time we encoded a music file into an MP3 file it got really fast, it was hilarious to hear the vocal tracks sped up, unless it was a Ruby track, that was just painful. Still, we're making progress!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm pretty sure she said "personal discomfort receptacle".

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Now I say this in the manliest way possible, but if I were a dame, I would so do this kind of getup all the time. ;-*

This is the PSX version, but the Carnival music is so loving happy.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's nothing wrong with Lucia's new outfit, and by the standards of the genre, it's pretty good. I still kinda prefer the Space Nazi get-up, though.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh I don't dislike Lucia's new clothes, far from it, I just like her old ones more.

Oh right. Probably should have included this!

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure she said "personal discomfort receptacle".

That does make more sense.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The old clothes were more stylish, certainly. The new ones aren't too bad, though I'm not sure I like the entire color scheme and I think I'd drop the poncho, since it looks like it's just draped over her arms. It also sorta looks like they rummaged around in Ronfar's closet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your first video is broken.

And so Leo tosses rock lances at the human launcher, which confuses it RPG style, to fire in the opposite direction.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The color palette for Lucia's outfit is slightly off in the in-game video, but it works a tad bit better in the art:

(not my scan, just GIS'd that one)

I'm a fan of that shawl, personally. Looks a bit like Andean aguayo-style. All the "common" folk (that is to say, not wizards and not weird aliens from not-earth) sport that vaguely Latin-American look in their garments, and while not enormously noticeable unless you're specifically looking, it really helps establish a visual identity for this setting.

Scalding Coffee posted:

And so Leo tosses rock lances at the human launcher, which confuses it RPG style, to fire in the opposite direction.

I love how, for just this one scene, Leo abandons the gallant crusader persona and pulls a full-on cartoon screwjob on our heroes.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 23, 2013

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The Lunar Eternal Blue section is now pretty much complete and is up! All the music from the original is there Camel Pimp!

Be aware thread followers who click and browse this link, THERE ARE SPOILERS.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

The Lunar Eternal Blue section is now pretty much complete and is up! All the music from the original is there Camel Pimp!

Be aware thread followers who click and browse this link, THERE ARE SPOILERS.

gently caress YES.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised they let Leo actually sabotage our escape vehicle.

...also I realize Lucia was kind of distinctive, but shouldn't everyone have changed clothes?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

I'm surprised they let Leo actually sabotage our escape vehicle.

...also I realize Lucia was kind of distinctive, but shouldn't everyone have changed clothes?

Hiro's gonna stick out no matter what with his face tattoo, so not much reason for him to change. Lemina's dress is plain enough to blend into crowds easily enough. Ronfar's mostly identified by the smell of whiskey rather than appearance, and Jean needs to stay in her dancer clothes in case she needs to distract some mooks with an impromptu fan dance. Ruby can hide in a burlap sack or something, but she'll just continue shouting and breathing fire where ever she goes because Ruby is terrible at being a fugitive.

Or making a whole new batch of sprites for the entire party is too much effort, whatever.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 14: uuuugh.

Welcome back. Last time Leo was dick and could have easily killed us. Major dick.

By the way, thanks again to Lunar-net and Jenner for getting the music from this game!

: I feel kinda... sick!
: Ooouuugh... I know what you mean...
: That has gotta be the most bone-jarring detour I've ever taken... Man, am I glad that's over! Where the hell are we?
: I don't know, but I think I'm gonna hurl again...

Wait, if Lemina hurled inside that thing, while it is was in the air, that means it got on everyone- oh god I don't want to think about it!

: Leo must have damaged the magic arrow right before we took off...
: But that means we could've landed almost anywhere!

If you payed attention to the last few updates, you probably know exactly where they landed.

: Doesn't anyone care that I'm going to flood this place with vomit any minute?
: Is 'vomit' the same as the liquid you deposited in the magic arrow? Why do you do that? It has a terrible stench and is quite unattractive. Is it some kind of custom from Vane?
: Uh, Lucia, we'll save that lesson for later. Right now, we'd better find a way out of here... wherever here is!

Doesn't look like there's much up here.

: Really? I thought my magic skills were excellent, but I don't sense anything...
: This is a very old magic. I doubt that humans could detect it. Wait... I will try to remove it.

: I... I... I've never heard the magic you used uttered by humans! That sounded like magic that only Althena should know! ...who are you?
: I have told you... My name is Lucia. I come from the Blue Star.

Well, you didn't really mention the "space alien" part and...

: Quickly, we must go while the magic holds.

: This is some sort of magic historical record. It seems to be hundreds of years old. Let me try to activate it...

Okay, game, you're just pulling this poo poo out of your rear end, aren't you?

Wait, this is awfully familiar... when did I last see this without sepia tone?

This is the destruction of Vane! It's the exact same scene, actually, just with different audio and sepia tone. (Obviously, the remake plays the L:SSSC's version of Vane's fall.)

: Whoo! That was one serious assault on the senses! What the hell was it?
: I think it was showing the time when... Vane was destroyed.
: Uh, Hiro? I'm getting the creeps... how 'bout we get outta here?
: ...his former self... Althena... what does this record mean?

Suddenly, we hear the sound of footsteps and an oddly familiar voice...

: Hm hm hm... That... was a record of my best work.
: Who's there?!

: Fortunately I now have the chance to surpass it. The world will once again be mine on a delicious half-shell. And you can't stop me, Lucia.

Wait, how in the hell do you know-

: How do you know who I am?!

Exactly!

: Oh where are my manners? Let me introduce myself! I am Ghaleon.
: Ghaleon!
: Uh oh...

Oh my gosh, the big bad from Lunar 1 came back! What a tweeest- wait, Alex and co. kicked your rear end into next Saturday! And then you transformed into a demon man and then they kicked your rear end into Saturday after next! That never stops being stupid. In any case, how the hell is very dead Ghaleon still pimping around?

: Yes, I am the same Ghaleon who was buried and left a cursed memory. And yet I now live again! Truly if there is a god of destiny, he is fond of plot twists. Ha ha ha! And so am I!

We're, uh, not ready to face the final boss of the first game yet. A mecha-clown nearly beat the tar out of us. Could we call a raincheck on this epic rematch?

: The time is not yet right for our... decisive encounter. We will meet again, Lucia... it's our destiny... Ah ha ha ha!

Cool. Thanks man.

: In the distant past, there was a person named 'Magic Emperor Ghaleon.' He seized Althena's power and tried to destroy the world. If this is the same person, we're all in big trouble.
: Oh Lemina! That was centuries ago!
: And besides, wasn't the Magic Emperor destroyed by Dragonmaster Alex? That's what Grandpa Gwyn's history book said...
: That dude creeped the crud in my toe jams! Whoa!

Toe jams again?! Jesus, Working Designs, what is your obsession with toe jams?!

: I mean... he seethed evil, you know? There's no way that he's human. His magic's simply too strange, too strong!
: His... appearance makes me uneasy, but there's something in his eyes...

Despite that... unusual occurrence, we're thrust into another dungeon. This is the Mystic Ruins. I loathe it. Okay, it's not that bad, really, but this dungeon... it's seared into my childhood. This dungeon is what forced me and my sister to beg my mother to get the guidebook for this game.

It starts innocuously enough. The first floor is really straightforward, with some herbs and not much else.

And they very kindly put a statue here, too! Gives me a good excuse to talk about the new enemies!

These are like the Mummies and Bandage Boys from the very first dungeon in the game, in that if you kill the master, all the others will die. The Mummy Lord is a hell of a lot sturdier, but if you concentrate your fire on it, you'll take 'em out without too much issue.

Hey, we saw the Cave Rats back in Larpa! There's not the exact same enemy this time around, despite the fact they haven't been palette swapped. The first game would use enemies in multiple dungeons, and it re-used boss sprites twice, but it never palette swapped. Quite unusual for a game of that period. Sadly, Lunar 2 does palette swap a bit, as you've already seen, although it does it sparingly.

While the rats are bit tougher than they were in Larpa, they're not the ones we're concerned about. The Neutronitor (one hell of name!) is a real bastard. It has tons of HP and stupidly high defense for a random encounter.

And it can do that.

Now I'm not sure if this is just my imagination, but once Lucia has her costume change, her behavior changes slightly. She's far more likely to actually cast and not run away or defend. She will still do that, but it's far rarer; I'm pretty sure I only saw her run away or defend once.

But she doesn't seem to do as much damage as she used to. Once she starts casting like you've wanted her to do this whole time, her spells start to suck. Ain't that life? Eh, you still can't spit at free spells.

These guys are fuckers too. They won't summon a disco ninja frog or anything like that, but they have the same stupid HP and defense as the Neutronitor (seriously, love that name!) and are also faster than Jean! Joy!

Actually, I was pretty sure they had a nasty special attack, but I never saw it. To be honest, I'm probably confusing them with the other mask enemies from the other Lunar games.

Also, a new spell! And it's not like Lucia used it before and I forgot to show it off. No, not at all. (It didn't kill it, either.)

At the end of the day, though, it's not the enemies that I remember so fondly.

There's nothing of note of the first floor, however as we go to the second floor-

We see a glimpse of what pissed me off.

For now, just walk into the mirror and it transports you to the other side of the floor. There's two chests with a nice amount of money in them, but not much else. Well, I did run across something interesting.

We got a lot of rats this time. What is that one rat doing?

Oh god, what the hell!

It does as much as a normal crit hit, which sounds like it sucks, but that's all the rats will do for this turn, so in truth it's probably better they swarm you. That's what my logical brain says. My illogical brain is screaming. If you kill the rat twitching its ears, they won't swarm you.

But we're at the end of the second floor, so-

Or not. What the gently caress was the point of that? Anyway, the actual exit to the floor is like two steps forward.

And we come to the part that scarred my childhood so well. It's a mirror maze! Yay.

At first glance it seems straightforward. Any red mirror is impassible, so there's actually only one way to go here.

Now what is annoying is that not all the mirrors are simply two-way doors. Well, these are. Oh, and the treasure is a really paltry amount of money. Eh.

So just head to the mirror to right.

This is what I meant when I said I shouldn't have bought the Great Sword, as the game just gave me a free upgrade.

Again, we came in on the left mirror, and if we were to go back into it we'd just backtrack. So to the right again.

The chest is a Chain Helm, which I had already bought. And no one else can equip it either. :sigh: Should have just saved my money, I guess.

Now, if you were me in 1995 (you won't want to be), you'd think just to go into the other mirror. Pretty easy, right? Nope, go back through the same mirror you came in on. It leads you somewhere new.

This is the point that confused me as a child. I just didn't think to go back through the same mirror. And since not all the mirrors work this way, it forces you to use trial and error to get through this if you're not using a guide.

Although honestly I was a little pissed when the remake removed the mirrors all together. You gosh-darned kids! You don't know how good you have it!

This makes the choice easy.

And another piece of equipment for Hiro! They really wanted you to have some good equipment for him, didn't they?

Now, you don't have to go back into this mirror, but it saves a bit of time.

But don't go back into this mirror! It just dumps you back where the Chain Helm was. Go into the mirror on the left.

Go right here.

And you're actually out of the damned mirror floor! Don't go into the mirror here, by the way. As far as mirror/teleporter mazes go, it's not the worst. But it's still a pain, and yes, I used the guide for this section. gently caress you, I feel no shame for that.

And now we have the moving platform floor! Joy! This one's not as bad, as it's far more feasible to figure out on your own, but by this point you're probably a bit pissed off, especially if you figured out the previous floor on your own. Basically, the gimmick is that if you use one platform, all the others move. But there's only two positions they can be in, so it's not a major brain teaser.

Start here. As you can see, there's another platform on the bottom there. Since you moved this one, the one below moves too. There's a treasure chest to the left, grab it then go back and take that bottom platform.

Now this leads back to the entrance, but the platform you want to take will be in position.

It leads to treasure! Two chests, actually. One of them is a Starlight, and the other...

Is something we already have. I could give it to Lemina, but she's best off with her staff, so another piece on the "to be sold" pile.

You see that platform above? Step on it, and you're done! All right, no more Mystic Ruins! There's actually a lot more to this floor, including another goddamned mirror (no mirror maze or anything), but I got all the treasure so gently caress it. I'm outta here!

Oh. Uh, hi.. faeries. Wait. Faeries. I remember faeries.

: He made this place into a beautiful, lush garden. We think he's great.

Ghaleon kept a garden full of faeries in the first game! Although the faeries in that game weren't so keen on Ghaleon.

Uh, he tried to destroy the world. I'm pretty much against that. So I can't say I'm a fan.

: That's only because you don't know him well enough. He's really just a poor, lost little boy in big, evil guy's clothing.

...whatever you say.

: Oh, how adorable. She's sleeping while flying! Why don't we put her hand in warm water and see what else she can do?

That's just mean, Ruby.

: They say that dear Ghaleon was revived from the dead! Can it be true?

How the hell else can you explain him being here? Unless it's some other super-powerful weirdo who just adopted the name. And sounds the same. And looks the same. Yeah, not likely.

: You mean to say that he's some kind of undead zombie?

A little too articulate for a zombie, I'd say, but you never know! Probably a good idea not to let Ghaleon bite anyone, anyway.

: That's why he made this secret garden and let us stay here. He said we'd be safe here forever. But, how is that possible?
: If Ghaleon is supposed to be so evil, why'd he care about these faires?
: Evil? Ghaleon is not evil! He is our protector! Doesn't he protect you, too?

Hell no, he... actually, he hasn't done anything to Hiro and co. I mean, yet. Doesn't mean squat, though.

: His heart is kinder than you may know... Ghaleon is racked by guilt of his former self. He says he will make things right again before he dies.

:raise: Really? Well, can he put Vane back in the sky? That'd be nice of him to do.

: She's not a human, is she?
: You're not human, but you're not like Ghaleon, either. Where are you from, strange girl?

Huh. Interesting how quickly how these fairies picked up on that.

: Just a moment...

Uh, Lucia, the door is over there... (I'm pretty sure I can't even get to the door from here!)

: Ghaleon seems to be a little extreme in his security. The only people that could break that spell is Althena, Ghaleon, and myself. Curious that he would use such strong measures for this ancient ruin...

Wow, he must be serious about protecting these fairies! Although we did just burst in and open the way in... so, uh, oops.

: He wanted to make it hard for people to penetrate his sanctuary. In fact, you should see the incredible spell that guards his ABBA memorabilia...

Believe or not, the ABBA reference is continuity. At least in the Working Designs versions (I'm pretty sure Japanese Ghaleon didn't obsess over ABBA).

: Hmm... I wonder if...

Sadly, Ghaleon's ABBA memorabilia is far too well-guarded for us to raid, so we'll have to skedaddle.

Surprisingly, we weren't knocked that far away from town. And thank goodness for that, I'm kind of sick of the detour. So without too much ado I make it back to town

COME ON.

DUDE.

: Face it! You simpletons are no match for my superior intellect.

Big words from a man that got locked in a cell in his own battleship.

: You can't escape the power of the dragon ship Destiny! Surrender now!
: Hiro, he's right! We have no chance of surviving a blast from his ship! What are we going to do?
: I cannot surrender. I must accomplish my mission, so I must fight.
: If luck goes our way, we just might stand a chance. I'm willing to try!
: I knew that following you guys was a mistake. But not fighting now would be a bigger one. I'm in.
: This situation looks bad all around, and I don't see how I'll profit from fighting. Why don't we just surrender?

Now I would sigh and shake my head at Lemina being such a coward, but frankly if I was in that situation I'd be like, "uh, no, what the gently caress am I doing here see you later bitches."

: Stop your little secret conference and surrender to me immediately! My given task is to execute Lucia before she destroys us all. Know that I have the will and the resources to carry out that task...

And know that we have the will and resources to... uh... well, die horribly in a one-sided battle, mostly. Hrm. Maybe you all should listen to Lemina.

Suddenly, purple lightening!

: Ahhhh! The evil Lucia is raining fire down upon us. Help!
: You morons! There is no danger! Althena will protect us! You can't be hurt!

They couldn't hit an elephant at this

: This magic is strong... could it be that...?

: This doesn't make any sense. Why would he go out of his way to help us?

That's a very, very good question. Hell, he didn't even stay to gloat. Quite unusual...

: Lord Leo has been badly injured! Quick, we must get him to safety! Retreat at once!

: This whole trip just keeps getting weirder and weirder...
: Agreed! I don't know what the heck's goin' on anymore! Anyway, it's bought us some time. Let's take advantage of it.

EDIT: gently caress you Crowetron.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Words cannot express how wonderful it is to see you again, you hammy, malevolent elf-man. :allears:

(spoiler'd bit removed, I am really remembering things wrong tonight)

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 30, 2013

• Locked thread