Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Who outside of the party at large in this series goes anywhere without his theme song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, the best song is for a character I can't talk about for a good while. An even smugger bastard that this version doesn't foreshadow in a silly way like the psx version.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 1, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure stat gains for each character are the same every game. I know they are in the psx version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hiro has no other gear affecting his wisdom do it's always going to be about the middle of the party. There's really only one party member with any business doing actual spellcasting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure we never hear any backstory out of Hiro. Everyone else has one but Hiro's just isn't important enough to tell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A couple of the chance skills come up in Complete but they're also a lot more consolidated than in this version. Anger Dice comes in handy vs the first couple bosses after Ronfar shows up and recovery coin can sometimes save a hopeless situation, such as certain really bad random encounters in the final dungeon. Destiny Dice can be very, very cost effective, but I'm not aware of any way to manipulate it other than saving state and messing around with timings.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In the PSX version this is pretty much the 1 area in the game with drops that aren't herbs and the occasional star light. Instead you can snag armor and shields for Hiro a tier or 2 early.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

She dumps a defense buff on herself a couple times then runs away. Or just runs away if something gets close.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In my recent run of complete I had more trouble with the next 2 bosses than the entire rest of the game. And by "trouble" I mean Lucia finishing off the next one with the rest of the party dead and having maybe 2 people alive after the one after that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jenner posted:

Camel Pimp I found something for you.

WARNING, CLICKING ON THAT LINK AND NOT BEING CAMEL PIMP WILL SPOIL YOU, DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK UNLESS YOU WANT SPOILERS.

Except that most of the links on that page are 404.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Of course it's good: it's Noriyuki Idaware.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No, your spoiler isn't til much later.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep, we now have our reason for playing this game. drat shame his VA went back to doing real estate after WD went under.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Careful, talk like that gets you Dragon Song.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

quote:

finally gives her something to do in boss battles.

Like she's actually going to use any of that crap in this version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galick posted:

The upgraded version? Hell yes. A full powered Blue Dragon Palm every turn? Yes please.

Eh, that barely lets her keep up with Hiro and Leo's new moves in the remake. Leo's, anyway, Hiro's is just wrong.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only boss I can remember actually being hard in the remake was Zophar, and that was before I found out a thing you can do during the scripted half of the fight. Other than that nothing really stands out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And now Jean is all powerful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, Lucia's is all divine. She just has a much more direct line than Ronfar :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's because they're all shoved into the postgame where you can trivialize them pretty easily.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dark Sword kind of exists in the remake. It's not as flashy but Concussion Sword hits all enemies and instakills some types.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, Poe Sword, a targetted aoe one, Battalion Sword (which hits all enemies rather than a line), Concussion Sword and then the all powerful Triple Sword around level 50. Triple Sword is pretty much 3x double strength Poe Swords at once.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The remake also has Jean saying "Ruby, you go girl!" when you have her cast it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The voice work alone makes the remake well worth it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

drat shame John Truitt got his hammy rear end out of voice acting when WD went under.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure the remake boss is harder and there's a couple random encounters in the remake version that can wipe you easily if you don't go all out on them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

quote:

You know, while the original's inventory system is a lot more unwieldy, the fact that the remake only limits you to 20 of any item is kind of a drag. It's almost as though they don't want you walking around with an inventory of nothing but Silverlights.

At least you can buy the drat things. There's only about 20 Silverlights in the entire remake.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeikier posted:

I don't remember even breaking 10.

The refights are a neat idea, but this dungeon feels like such a hazy mess that it prolly wouldn't have registered as interesting if I was playing myself. Especially not with the weird choices with shuffling the stats.

Most of them are in stuff I shouldn't mention yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's actually possible to lose to the third form in the remake if you have the wrong accessory on Hiro. I forget the name of it but it gives you resistance to everything at the cost of starting each fight at 1 hp. You won't believe how dumb that made me feel when I replayed it at the start of the other thread :downs:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 29, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lunar 1 remake played with that by having bosses scale their level to yours but that was kinda dumb and broken.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, the remake bumps up the difficulty to account for how you're supposed to have Triple Sword, Soul Blade, Catastrophe and Slam Dance/Blue Dragon Fist by the time you get here. It doesn't take long at all to remove the 2 new hands when you have that kind of firepower and then you can wreck the head pretty quickly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The epilogue bosses are pretty pointless in the remake, can't remember if they were any meaner in this version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Camel Pimp posted:

Wait, it did that in the remake? It does nothing in the original, by the way.

It teleports you between towns. Only problem being that you have to revisit them all first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, all the manga and the post-Silver-Star novels are pretty much just licensed fanfics anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't remember any specifics about them in this version but they're a joke in the the remake.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except we're in the epilogue and there's hardly anything left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The dungeons in the remake are rear end mostly because one of them gives you an item that completely trivializes the rest.

• Locked thread