Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Since you asked.

In the Lunar I+II artbook, Leo's age is given as 18. He is younger than Ronfar is; Ronfar was born in '1015', Leo in '1016'. (Mauri was also born in 1016, so either they're on opposite ends of the year, twins, one age is wrong, or Beastmen are weird. Mauri is younger.)

I can give the ages of the other characters if you want but I didn't know if you wanted me spoiling them, so I didn't. Most of the party is around there anyway.

Additional: For time comparison, Lunar 1 occured in the year '34'. No particular event occured on 0; they're based off Ghaleon's diary entries in Lunar 1, which are dated '34.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

...really?

I'm pretty sure Mauri is 16, actually. I don't think they're twins.

I don't know why the ages for the characters in Lunar 2 is so sketchy. I'm pretty sure the ages for the characters in Lunar 1 is pretty certain, so I don't know what it is about this game.

They changed a lot of them around the PSX release, probably so they made more sense. Mauri being 16 dates from that AFAIK. I actually only said the twins thing as a joke because they seem to have the same age. I don't actually have the Lunar I+II artbook handy any more; I used to have scans from it but I lost most of them a couple computer formats ago. I tried to double-check online.

They may also have changed in development and I got an old one, since one of the sections of that book is Lunar II brainstorming. Originally it was going to be much closer in time so there are things like pictures of adult Alex (he's a lumberjack!) and such. That picture I do still have, and here it is:

edit: ^^^^^ also yes, Hiro is 16. Or 14, if you pay attention to the manga. Probably 16 though.

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 14, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jenner posted:

:stare:
Is that a long mullet on Alex?

:allears:
Oh man, I need to reopen my art book.

He's a woodcutter, not a haircutter.

Jenner posted:

The Art Book suggests that in the original inception of Eternal Blue the original cast of Silver Star are still alive and have jobs and such the main characters of EB (at least some of them, if not all of them) had been originally planned to be children of the original main cast of TSS/SSSC. (I've brought this up before so sorry for repeating myself.)

Speaking of which, it's incredibly likely that I am an idiot. I may have mixed up Hiro and someone elses Jean again original proposed background. It's been suggested/hypothesized/and sperged about by fans that one of them was planned to be Tempest and Fresca's child and the other is supposed to be descended from the Vile Tribe, either Xenobia or Phacia. I'm beginning to think Hiro was the latter...

There was also a Lunar Manga, it was released a bit before Eternal Blue I think? It was called Childhood's End and I may :words: about it after the end credits.

Yup! The original concept for EB was about 20 years later than SSS; that Alex sketch is related to that. As for the background of the specific characters, I don't know much about that since it's not something I remember from the artbook. It wouldn't be unheard of given the time period, though. Phacia and Royce were additions to SS Complete, IIRC so it would have to be Xenobia (who was even more of a jerk).

Childhood's End is something I've heard about but never read. It does contradict Eternal Blue on some timeline points but if it came out first (which I didn't actually know; I thought it came out after, but before EB Complete) that makes a fair bit of sense.

e:f,b

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 14, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Are you positive about that? I've played the remake a few times, and Jean definitely doesn't have any healing spells.

I presume it's actually Blue Dragon Vigor that's being referenced, which is +5 (I think? maybe +4) attacks/round in this version, and a full heal in Eternal Blue Complete. It's a great thing to give to Jean in this game.

It's actually off an accessory though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
He's really not kidding. Here's the costs.

pre:
Level  1:     0         Level 16: 10768
Level  2:    15         Level 17: 12661
Level  3:    26         Level 18: 14584
Level  4:    61         Level 19: 16514
Level  5:   133         Level 20: 18434
Level  6:   266         Level 21: 20340
Level  7:   494         Level 22: 22236
Level  8:   853         Level 23: 24131
Level  9:  1383         Level 24: 26041
Level 10:  2115         Level 25: 27986
Level 11:  3070         Level 26: 29989
Level 12:  4250         Level 27: 32071
Level 13:  5642         Level 28: 34258
Level 14:  7218         Level 29: 36574
Level 15:  8941         Level 30: 39043

These are not cumulative costs; it costs 15 MXP to get to level 2, and then 26 more to get to level 3.

Every character has one skill that levels up with magic XP, except for the mages who have two. Ronfar is one of those.

Also, it costs 15 MXP per Hiro's level to save the game.

edit: Also you don't get skills even CLOSE to every level; there's nothing between 1 and 8, for instance.

New skills are gotten (or a skill upgrades) at 1, 8, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 27, 28, 29 and 30.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 26, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Can I put this in the OP? It's a pretty succinct summary of how annoying the MExp thing can get.

Go right ahead!

If you want, I'll try to get some screenshots of a great bug that occurs because off the magic experience menu because of the changes to the American version of Eternal Blue.

I don't know if I'll be able to manage it though (you need about 27000 spare magic XP sitting around at specific points in the game, and I don't know where my copy of Eternal Blue is anyway without digging - thanks, moving), but I can still explain it. If you want step by step directions to do it yourself I can give those too, assuming you don't already know them.

The next time you can do it is Zulan, but it's easier to do a little bit later. If you have the MXP.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Ah, crap, I could have! Eh, didn't have the MExp.

I've heard of said bug, but I, uh, kinda wanted that MExp for something else. Maybe I'd have enough by Taben's Peak, but that's a lot of MExp, man, and I need new spells! I've seen guides for hacking saves, but I honestly know nothing about hacking saves. If you can pull the glitch off, I'd be thrilled to see it because I've never done the bug myself (although I have seen the guides).

I have done it before, but that was a long time ago and I definitely didn't keep any screenshots. I'll see if I can dig my copy out and pull it off. Given I'd have to get a bit into the game it wouldn't be immediate though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Glazius posted:

So everybody in the current party has one magic line, while Lemina has two? Is that about right?

Ronfar has two lines that can be raised with magic XP also, Chance and Health. Lemina has Fire and Ice, Hiro has Wind and Jean has Dance.

Ronfar's Soul, Hiro's Sword, and Lemina's Mystic all get spells based on character level instead and don't require any magic XP (and can't be given it even if you want to). Unlike the lines that takes XP, none of them upgrade into better spells; they have only four spells apiece, which are gained at character levels 1, 10, 24 and 36.

Lucia does her spell thing on her own and it's based on Hiro's level despite having way more spells than most level-dependent lines (14 of them).

Prism fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 7, 2013

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kind of weird for a divine tool to lose power after 950 years. Is it another thing the game glossed over?

I like to think it broke when they started using it as a decorative pond.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Good to see this back! I went on vacation and apparently didn't miss much, but rest assured I'll be watching once again. I also forgot a bit about this part... or at least the town.

The effect on the Iron Mace is one of the earthquake-type spells; there's a couple maces that cast them and this is the first. I forget if it procs randomly on normal attacks or must be used as an item to do it. Give it a shot sometime.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm pretty sure it's Poison.

Anyway, there's a 'fun' bug with the Ice Pup x3/Ice Mongrel formation, if you can clear it (by which I mean incredibly aggravating). You can only get 65535 XP in a fight. Ice Mongrels alone give 65535. If you get any more, it rolls over and you won't get the big bonus! You can solve this by letting all the Ice Pups run first, or only going after the Ice Mongrel x2 formation, since you'll get capped XP whether you kill one or two.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Galick posted:

That Lunn fight is way more brutal in this than the remake, drat. And that gatekeeper is by far my favorite NPC in the game.

That isn't the only fight that's much easier in the remake. The older game is... well, an older game, and it has some of the higher difficulty associated with that (though sometimes just because it doesn't tell you what's up, like the whole Dopple Dance thing).

Still, there's one in particular that's much harder in this version and I look forward to seeing it dealt with.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

Man, screw the magic aristocracy, Jean can fire fireballs out of her hands.

Apparently Borgan only checks for elemental magic; Hiro has Air, Lemina has Fire and Ice and Lucia has... all sorts of crap, but Ronfar only has divine powers and Jean has ki. I guess this also means Leo would pass (he gets Earth spells).

No word on Mystere, though. He's much too mysterious.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, Lucia's is all divine. She just has a much more direct line than Ronfar :v:

Some of it's elemental divine! Like Napalm Rain.

Ronfar doesn't even get that. He gets dice, and nobody has yet accepted the element of Surprise.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

But we're cutting off here. Next time... probably something most of you have been waiting for.

I know I have been!

By way of content, there are several cut items from Eternal Blue that can be grabbed by the Lemina Bug. One of them is around here: it's a pickaxe for Ronfar that does extra damage to things in the Zaback Mines. Interestingly, it doesn't do extra damage to the same monsters in places that aren't the Zaback Mines. Mines only.

Also, you might want to go buy that Holy Staff later because IIRC it can be used to cast an attack spell, giving Ronfar something to do for 0 MP. It casts Pulse Laser, Lucia's spell.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Huh. I knew there was an dummied out axe, but I didn't know it did that. I may have to add that in.

I got it later. Don't worry.

I know most of the dummied-out items and can describe some more if you'd like. There are only a few that are clear on where you'd get them, though; this one is because of the bonus damage to Zaback Mines enemies. I think it also may do it in the Neo-Trial Cave, I tend to lump them together, but it definitely doesn't anywhere else. The full effect of it was:

PICK AXE - Attack +150, Surefire Attack, Bonus vs Mines Enemies, +1 swings

Surefire Attack means it never misses.

Another one that would have already gone by for sure is the Goddess Fan, which was a fan for Jean as a Dancer that sometimes confused enemies (and also had +1 attacks, but all fans do so that's not interesting). It was probably cut for being too good/late a fan as it had comparable attack to the Hell Spike you just bought; maybe at one point they had thought about having Jean continue to equip fans?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Please do! I do know about many dummied out items, but I didn't really look too carefully at them. The fact that Jean might have been able to continue using fans is neat, although I guess I can see the balance problems in that.

Tell you what, I'll go one better.

Way back when the thread mentioned the Lemina Bug. I won't be able to do it for you and take screenshots, but I can describe how it works and go over the dummied-out items in a big post, if that's something you'd be interested in seeing - later tonight or early tomorrow, probably.

It won't involve any story spoilers, so no worries there.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Okay.

There are a few dummied-out items in Eternal Blue. One of them, the Dark Scimitar, is actually in the manual as a quite powerful weapon; the descriptive text read 'The Dark Scimitar is said to empower its bearer with great offensive power.' As a result there were a whole lot of attempts to find it, all of which failed because there's no way to actually get it legitimately. It was the most popular topic on Working Designs' website for a year (back in 1998; this is not a recent thing). They even asked Vic Ireland, and he said it was in the game, so of course it must be!

Well, it wasn't. The search was a failure. That doesn't stop people from making the game give it to them anyway. Specifically, they turned to:

The Lemina Bug

There was a bug introduced in the English version of Eternal Blue that wasn't in the Japanese one, created entirely out of some programmer's decision to save you about thirty seconds... over the course of an entire game. To do this, you need the following:

- 26756 magic experience points. You'll actually want a little more - just enough to level Hiro's Wind magic once. You can do it without but you won't like the results. Also enough to save the game.
- Someone whose magic can be powered up by Magic XP is leaving the party, but Ruby isn't (this cuts out a couple times when everybody leaves, like the Carnival).
- Lemina can't be in the party. She can be the one leaving, though. She just absolutely can't be in it while you perform it.

It doesn't matter if Lucia is in the party or not, but you can't trigger it off Lucia leaving because you can't power up her magic with Magic XP. I find the best time to do it is in Taben's Peak, after you defeat the Blue Dragon Cult in the Meribia sewers. Everybody leaves Hiro and Ruby alone then, so all the conditions are met.

Anyway, what you do is, just before the party members leave, go highlight their magic to level up. Just go browse to their magic and then close the menu; you don't need to spend anything now. Then do the event that makes them go away.

In the Japanese version, if you opened the menu and went to level up magic now, it would be pointing at Hiro. It always starts pointing at Hiro. In the American version, it is set to point wherever you left it... which is now a character that isn't in the party.

Thanks, programmer trying to save me five seconds!

You should now push up a few times (how many times depends on who you had it pointed at before they left, but it doesn't really matter... but it's a lot of times, it's about 17 to get from Lemina's Flame up to Mystic). The menu background will start looking weird, but it will eventually point at Lemina's Mystic magic. Mystic isn't something you should be able to spend Magic XP on because the Mystic spells Lemina knows are dependant on her level. As a result, it starts at magic level 0.

Buy it anyway.

You will get a weird message, specifically ' LEARNED A NEW SPELL! CAN NOW BE USED!' Nobody learns anything but now Mystic is level 1. Keep doing this.

At Mystic 8, you will get 'BOOMERANG BECAME DAGGER! MP COST 65'. It really does change Hiro's Boomerang spell into 'Dagger', which freezes the game if you cast it, so don't.

At Mystic 13, you will get 'BOOMERANG BECAME SOUL BLADE! MP COST 45'. Hiro doesn't actually have Boomerang anymore so nobody learns Soul Blade, but his magic and inventory go crazy! This is when you stop buying magic. You instead back out of the Magic Power Up screen but do not close the menu entirely or poo poo breaks. Instead, go to Hiro and push the RUBY command so he's passing items to Ruby out of his inventory. Don't push ITEM or EQUIP because that breaks poo poo too.

Hiro's inventory is currently bizarre. It has no boundaries; you can scroll as far as you want in any direction, and items are in 'clusters'. They overlap each other and have multiple items on the same slot. You can switch which one's up with the C button. There are two kinds at first: ones that hold exactly two items of any sort, and ones that hold all the auto-used event items. If you take an item from the first sort, all of the second sort now hold every item in the game.

Scrolling too far crashes the game, but only sometimes. Tabbing through an infinite cluster can sometimes crash it. Picking up a completely blank item might crash it if it feels like it. Sometimes just scrolling onto an infinite cluster crashes. What I'm saying is that this is super unstable. There are some things Man was not meant to know. Crashing won't hurt your saved game, though. You'll just have to try again (or not).

When you're done, go back to magic XP and spend one level on Hiro's Wind magic, which fixes it; you don't have to, but his magic will be a glitchy, crashy mess until the end of the game if you don't, as powering it up later doesn't fix it unless you do the whole bug again. Then leave the room ASAP. Then save your game, reset, and reload.

Congratulations! You just plundered the depths of the Sega CD.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
What Happened?

You broke pointers.

Characters who aren't in the party aren't stored in memory in the same place as ones that are currently in the party. When you scroll up to Lemina's Mystic, you're not actually powering up Mystic - you're messing with whatever comes after her. I don't pretend to understand the exact mechanism by which Eternal Blue runs its pointers, but it seems that Hiro's magic and inventory is what gets some data written to it that shouldn't be, letting you rummage around in an area the game isn't normally prepared to let you touch in that manner.

Obviously, this doesn't happen in the Japanese version because the Magic Power Up menu always defaults to Hiro, so you can't ever scroll starting from a character that isn't in the party and get to Lemina's Mystic magic to break it.

So What's In There Anyway?

Mostly junk.

The majority of the items are just the usual stuff you get during the game. There are eight items that are complete but unused, and a bunch of ones that are just random data that the game tries to read as items. Some of these are interesting - there's a weapon that is equippable by anyone and has +0 attack power but +96 attack swings - but I'm not going to go over them because they're not items that were left in the game by mistake. They're just random data being read as if it was an item.

But here are the eight dummied-out items that are actually complete in every way. They've got names, icons, coding, everything.

BATTLE SHADOW - Attack +80, # of Attacks +1

The Battle Shadow is a weapon used by Hiro. It's nothing incredibly special, though the +1 swings is nice because most swords don't have that. It's between the Iron Scimitar (67) and the Flame Saber (86) in power, but the +1 swings boosts that quite a bit.

WIND SWORD - Attack +150, # of Attacks +1

The Battle Shadow except better. It would actually be a pretty solid choice until he got one of his final two swords.

GODDESS DRESS - Defense +45, Agility +20, Allows Counterattacks

This is equippable by Jean (both dancer and karateka). It's quite good, but there's a wrap for karetekas, the Immortal Wrap, that has a very similar power (42), Attack +8 instead of Agility +20, and maintains the counterattacks, so it may simply have been made redundant.

GODDESS FAN - +99 Attack, # of Attacks +1, Constant Bonus Damage, Confusion Attack

I already described this, but on checking it has 'constant bonus damage', which is practically 'hits twice per swing', thus making it much better than +99 looks. It's end-game material and very good even for that, especially given the fan's range.

GRIM RAPIER - +180 Attack, *Dragon Damage, Freeze Attack, +10 Agility, does lightning damage

This is a Leo-only sword. Dragon Damage makes it instant kill certain enemies sometimes in locations we haven't seen yet (I'll note them later). It's kind of glitchy; it makes the critical stars animation and then they vanish. It also does bonus damage to just about everything because it clearly wasn't good enough. This would be Leo's best weapon if it was allowed to exist.

GRIM SABER - +190 Attack, Kill Attack

Hiro's miniature version. Much worse than the Grim Rapier; the kill attack doesn't work that often (for those who have played the game before, it works the same as the Fury Bow) and no bonus damage. This wouldn't be endgame material for Hiro; he's got three swords better than it that are actually in the game.

PICK AXE - +150 Attack, Surefire Attack, Bonus vs Mines Enemies, # of Attacks +1

A weapon for Ronfar; it's classed as a club or flail. Counting the +1 Attacks this would probably be his best club for damage (he has a 170 and a 200, but they don't have the bonus swing, and Ronfar gets relatively few swings to begin with), aside from the fact that it has no magic-based side effects and he's probably better off with his choice of several other options. He really shouldn't be meleeing that much. The exception is in the mines. It's great in there.

And finally...

:siren: DARK SCIMITAR - +140 Attack, +10 Agility, *Kill Attack :siren:

Our treasure! Only Hiro can use this. The text claims it has a kill attack; it does not. The Dark Scimitar uses 26 MP every time it would not ordinarily critical to critically hit. There is no way to turn this off and Hiro can go through his entire MP pool in two rounds.

So basically, after all that, it wasn't worth it anyway.

All of these items exist in the Japanese game, too, except there's no Lemina Bug so you have to add them manually. They work just as well as their English counterparts, as far as I know (I know the Dark Scimitar does, but for some reason nobody bothers to test stuff like the Battle Shadow).

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 31, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Wow, I wonder in what context the Grim Rapier was supposed to exist.

You know, about the Goddess Fan... perhaps they wanted Jean to be a dancer again in the post game? Makes a bit of sense.

Oh, and do you happened to have any websites that have a bit more in-depth information about the game? I keep looking on gamefaqs, on Google, on the official guidebook that I own... and there still a lot of questions I have. It's drat near impossible to find info on the older Sega CD versions.

That may be it. It'd definitely be an end-game weapon despite being under 100 power; her other 'best' weapons are 116 with +1 attacks and 180 without. It's definitely better than the first and IMO is better than the second.

Unfortunately a lot of the websites are defunct because the game's pushing 17 years old. I used to be pretty into it so I still have some notes, and Lunar-Net has some information; that's where I got the pictures from for the Lemina bug. But a lot of the information's simply fallen off the Internet by now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

neongrey posted:

So of course from here rises the question:

Why is the Dark Scimitar even a thing, anyway?

Well, this was back in the day when the game manual came with an illustrated list of selected weapons and armour. The Dark Scimitar was in there, and people playing the game pretty quickly noticed that it wasn't actually in the game.

So people wrote in to WD to ask, hey, what's the secret to finding the Dark Scimitar.

Victor Ireland apparently decided to have some fun with it, and was adamant that the scimitar was in fact in the game, you just had to find it. He spun up some story about how the weapon could kill anything in the game in one hit, gave phony stats, the works. The whole way through it was maintained that it was just a secret, an easter egg that could be found.

And there was forum drama and bannings and all sorts of good stuff like that. Just a giant mountain made out of a molehill.

Archive.org is an amazing thing (e: careful for anyone who hasn't played the game who wanders around this site, there's spoilers, particularly in the changes section)

Unfortunately it doesn't have the pictures, but that's one of the sites I was definitely thinking of that I thought was gone forever (I was having trouble loading it earlier but it appears to be operating now, more or less).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Pressure Cooker does indeed reduce all stats. Most enemies are set to have X stats +Y per level, and have an included level, so they lose some of the Y under Pressure Cooker. It actually works on a fair number of bosses, though usually only once - you can even hit parts of the end boss with one!

It is also capable of glitching one boss up real bad, IIRC, because they forgot to set it up right. The boss heavily resists it, but you can get some nonsensical numbers if you can make it stick multiple times anyway. I never succeeded in landing it, so I can't verify if it actually happens. Lucia learns an identical spell except it's harder to resist.

Prism fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 21, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nephrite posted:

I remember reading a magazine article that basically said to spam Pressure Cooker on bosses to beat them. I always wondered what it actually did.

There are a couple bosses you can drop down to near-uselessness by using it multiple times, yeah. The Black Fiend is one of them because I don't think they expected you to have it yet (and honestly, if you can cast Pressure Cooker against it, you probably don't need to).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bufuman posted:

Eh. Beastmen like Leo and Mauri seem to be mostly considered human with some animal characteristics. Plus that would make Kyle from Silver Star a furry too, since Jessica is at least part Beastman (maybe entirely, depending on what her mother was).

Mauri has elf ears and a tiny horn and nothing else; she doesn't even have furry ears like Leo does, they're just pointed. I'm pretty sure Ronfar gets clear of that accusation.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

curiousCat posted:

That final dungeon seems grueling to say the least. I wish the mechanics were more easily understood for this game, I really want to know what pressure cooker actually does.

Pressure Cooker reduces the enemy level.

How I had this explained to me is that enemies have an internal level, a base stat, and then get a certain amount of stat per level (so their strength might be 50 +2/lv), though not all enemies gain the same amount every level. Pressure Cooker will reduce the level, and thus reduce their stats. Enemies that are immune to Pressure Cooker put their entire stat in the first part (so 100 +0/lv), and an enemy could lose some stats but not others to Pressure Cooker (max HP, for instance, never seems to go down because of a Pressure Cooker). Some enemies are particularly weak to Pressure Cooker and have a smaller base and gain more per level. The few enemies that cause bugs with Pressure Cooker are because they forgot to define how their level gains work (or maybe puts it into negative numbers?) and thus when it gets reduced, weird things happen; the false Althena is the most well-known of these.

I don't have a chart for how enemies' stats work, and enemies only show up at one level so the only way to determine their leveling patterns is by Pressure Cooker, so while this could be wrong in the details, it seems to fit how it works based on observations.

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 30, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

The thing is, though, in practice it's hard to tell what the spell does exactly because the player doesn't have access to this information. You can possibly say that you don't need to know all that, you just need to know that it weakens the enemy, but considering that the spell varies wildly in usefulness, the player can easily write it off. I mean, I didn't remember it.

(Also, I'm absolutely convinced that the spell is bugged further than just not playing well with some enemies. I swear it's messing with resistances or something.)

I dunno, it's a really cool spell in theory, but I can see why they removed it.

I'll agree with that, knowing more about it would help a lot. If, for instance, there was a bestiary, and it gave stats both before and after Pressure Cooking, you could at least see if it was useful after the fact; while it wouldn't let you know exactly how good it might be on a specific boss until it was over with, you could at least see what kind of results you might expect.

It also might very well be bugged on top of that. I never used it much on most enemies; it might mess up resistances. Lunar comes from a time in the distant past where bugs like that weren't exactly uncommon. Did it regularly feel like it was adding resistances, or just removing them?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

Now you'd think this was a weapon for Jean.

It's not. She can't equip it.

And this all the hint text says about it. As a matter of fact, the Japanese version displays stats for it, but it's still not equippable. I'm guessing this was intended to be a weapon, but it was either coded into database incorrectly or otherwise incomplete. The fact that it's not dummied out and in a freaking treasure chest is a little baffling, though. They must really not have been trying very hard by this point in development.

So what does it do?

It casts Plasma Shock if used as an item. Lame.

Nobody is entirely sure what's up with the Flame Fist. I didn't list it in the dummied-out items because it's clearly there, it's just pointless.

Its stats in the Japanese version (still unequippable but you can see them when you select it) are Attack +210, which would have made it Jean's best weapon; the Kaiser Knuckles that you have are +180. It doesn't have anything else associated with it other than casting Plasma Shock when used as an item, so it probably wouldn't have been particularly broken; it's not like it's grossly overpowered or anything like the removed Grim Rapier.

It just... doesn't work.

Speaking of the Grim Rapier, way back when I discussed it on page 9 I obscured where it did bonus damage from Dragon Damage and instantly killed some enemies affected by it. Those areas were Zophar's Domain (the kill part won't work on Zophar, but the bonus damage will, and the normal enemies all are affected by it), the Dragon Ruins and the Sunken Tower. It doesn't do it in any other areas, including the one you're about to go to, though it still does some bonus damage because it always does. It just doesn't do the glitchy instakill/Dragon Damage effect.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 29, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Camel Pimp posted:

I kinda of guessed that it was supposed to be dummied out but wasn't, but... I don't know much about making games or whatever, it seems weird to forget to dummy something out (and then put it in a chest.)

Lunar, and a lot of CD-based games where disc size is not an issue, traditionally dummy things out mostly by making them inaccessible. Stuff like the Dark Scimitar or the Pickaxe works fine if you get it into your inventory somehow and can be equipped normally; there's just no legitimate way to do so. Even the Grim Rapier, whose Dragon Damage is very clearly not entirely coded, is equippable by its intended user - it's just not available in the game under normal circumstances.

There aren't any fully complete items on the disc that can't be equipped by anyone at all... except this one. (There are glitchy 'items' that aren't items at all, but those don't count; that's the game reading data that was never meant to be an item as one.) So it's weird; even if they intended to take it out, I'd still expect it to work if they forgot to remove the chest! The other removed items do.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Considering Vic Ireland's almost troll-like insistence that you could get the Dark Scimitar normally in the game, maybe it was originally what was intended to be in that chest, and someone accidentally put in the wrong item identifier. Since it's basically in the rear end-end of the post-game, I could see it being glossed over by testers even in Japan.

Unfortunately, this game came out twenty years ago and pretty much everyone involved with developing or translating it has probably forgotten all of the technical ins-and-outs of it by now, so all we'll ever have is speculation.

His insistence was because it was mentioned in the manual and he didn't want to be proven wrong. The Dark Scimitar would've been really underpowered for that box, too; +140 attack, but at that point Hiro already has much better options. Hiro's best weapon that's actually in-game has +230 attack, and you can't avoid having access to a +210 attack weapon - it's Ghaleon's Sword and you got it when you beat him.

It was also edited between Japan and America, because the description of the attack power on it is gone. A translator wouldn't have done that without being told to cut it. Compare:

So yeah. Nobody knows. It's a mystery. But I don't think it would ever have been intended to be the Dark Scimitar in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Galick posted:

I'm horribly loving tempted to see how bad it is now. I hate you.

It's really bad. Really, really bad.

Camel Pimp: An excellent LP! Eternal Blue was always one of my favourites, and it's good to see it get the treatment it deserves. Hopefully my butting in with trivia wasn't too much of a bother when I was doing it.

• Locked thread