Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

quote:

Instead of a hilariously cheesy intro (I know, I'm sad too) we get a bit of backstory.

I hope you're not suggesting the first game's original intro is anything less than incredible, young lady. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

quote:

"Every few hundreds years, the Goddess of beauty and love, Althena, returns to us. At that time, she leads the people into a place of peace and absolute harmony."

Uh, no, that didn't happen. She was reborn as a human in the first game, yes, but there wasn't a period of peace and harmony following her. For from it. Well, maybe that was a fluke. She seems to have reborn again and maybe there's lotsa harmony now?

No. No there is not.

Well, most people assume the afterlife is a place of peace and harmony if you've been good so yes, technically she did lead her people to such a place...

Also, I said this in the other EB thread and I'm going to point it out here as well:
You are the world's premier expert on this ancient building. You've devoted your life to studying it. You live like, next door to the drat place. You keep (what you assume to be the only) key in your pocket. And all your long life you've never once attempted to set foot inside. Gwyn, you suck at archaeology.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love how this game breaks the JRPG gender stereotypes wide open. The frilly, pretty girly girl is the heavy hitter, and the burly womanizing bad boy is the healer. Can you think of any other games where this is the case?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Was I hearing things, or during the video when Hiro, Ronfar, and Ruby are giving the "What." face we hear a fart noise?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well considering they took out the random encounters, and replaced it with the far more tedious Chrono Trigger style of encounters, only with a lot of spots without respawns for both remakes (that I recall, it's been a long time since I played either), I'd say the characters getting cut a break in leveling is only fair.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Galick posted:

...Mystere. You are the hero that we deserve :allears:

I'm actually kinda surprised that this part exists in the original, though I'm not certain why. But this is honestly one of my favorite parts of the game and is what cemented Leo as my favorite.

Why? Leo wasn't in this update...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

This is the first time I've seen this story (past playing up to about the first time you hit Pentagulia in the remake) and I would just like to point out, knowing now what Lucia's plan was from the get-go, she actually was the Destroyer after all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It sounds like this game really needs someone dedicated to rip open the code of the game and actually analyze how everything works. Other technical rpgs like Final Fantasy V, and several of the Dragon Quest games have people who have done this and are able to tell you all the stats on the enemies and how every spell and skill works exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

The original Dragon Quest had one, actually. Well, an epilogue of sorts. Technical limitations and all that. Although I'm trying to think of another JRPG that lets you roam the world after the final boss, and I'm coming up short. DQ9, Earthbound, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, the F Arc of Tales of Graces... that's all I can think of, at least, out of games I'm familiar with.

Pretty sure Dragon Quest II had one too. I've been extremely slowly getting around to going through the series. I haven't beaten part 3 yet but it might be the first game to have the "haha, you thought this guy was the big bad? No, THIS guy is the REAL big bad!" that's familiar to anyone who's played most of the final fantasys, and they actually play it off as a fake-out epilogue.

• Locked thread