Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

What is it with you and cars without back seats?

Hell, I guess this one has a passenger seat at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

More room for :quagmire: activities.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

One of these things is not like the other :buddy:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Since you're a tech I'll ask you.....What's proper procedure to bleed ABS brakes? I read somewhere to take the fuse out first or something.

Also if you know of a way to test the COPs that would be awesome. Apparently on our cars the COPs slowly lose their efficiency over time, kinda like a oxy sensor I guess....But I haven't heard of a way to test them. They are kinda pricey so I really don't want to replace them all just because.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The COP testing was actually something i was going to ask about here seeing as I've seen multiple companies offering 8 packs for under 200 bucks. Seeing if it was a preventative measure worth investing in. As far as the bleeding, I've never had to do anything special to any cars using our shops pressure bleeder, but I'll check the computer tomorrow for if theres a nonstandard proceedure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BAM found this on CV.net:

quote:

Using a multi-meter, Select Ohms resistance.

Place one probe in the spring end,Now place the other probe between the side of the clip on top and either pin.

Wait a second for meter to read.

5.00 ohms is GREAT!
5-5.30 is ok
5.30-5.50 is suspect
Anything 5.50 or above is considered dead and needs replacing

5.60 or more IS your misfire.

Also thanks for checking on the brakes. I didn't think it was any different but I've read conflicting poo poo and I wanted to make sure.

[edit] Also the consensus for coil replacement is OEM Motorcraft, cheaper aftermarket coils are hit or miss apparently.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 12, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

[edit] Also the consensus for coil replacement is OEM Motorcraft, cheaper aftermarket coils are hit or miss apparently.

I always thought that was the case for any coil, not just Motorcraft.

I know I went through plenty on my Integra before settling on a Denso (OE) part... which then outlasted the car.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

leica posted:

I see what you did there. Nice. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I always thought that was the case for any coil, not just Motorcraft.

I know I went through plenty on my Integra before settling on a Denso (OE) part... which then outlasted the car.

Yeah pretty much, but I didn't know whether or not the 8 pack 14" was talking about are Motorcrafts or aftermarket.

Francis Baconator posted:

I see what you did there. Nice. :v:

Um, ok what did I do :confused:

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

leica posted:

Um, ok what did I do :confused:

Hit or "miss" :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. Can't believe I didn't catch that, right over the head :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Did some minor poo poo today, it seems like nearly every 194 bulb in the back of my cluster and hvac was burned out

Depending on how you look at it, Ford either used the world's worst supplier of 194 bulbs for a long time (my Ranger only had two working 194s in it when I bought it, and the replacement cluster I bought seemed to be in similar shape) or these vehicles are just old enough now that it is to be expected somewhat. Given that I've had older and higher mileage vehicles with every light still working, I'm going to call it a lovely supplier.

Thankfully they're easy to get at and a box of more than you'll need is <$10.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Depending on how you look at it, Ford either used the world's worst supplier of 194 bulbs for a long time

I vote for this one. My '97 F150 started losing bulbs somewhere right around the end of it's 3-year warranty. That's just not an acceptable lifespan. And it's really, really typical for FoMoCo products I've seen since the mid-90s.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
In a similar vein, I've noticed a lot of 2-3 year old Fords with burned out taillight bulbs, whereas my Daihatsus tend to be on their original bulbs, and I re-used bulbs in a 1931 Cadillac that were probably original bulbs, at least pre 1945 since they were GE Mazdas.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

leica posted:

Also if you know of a way to test the COPs that would be awesome. Apparently on our cars the COPs slowly lose their efficiency over time, kinda like a oxy sensor I guess....But I haven't heard of a way to test them.

Make them do an obstacle course and some target practice, you'll figure out which COPs don't belong in your Panther that way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Our 01 F-150 still has all the dash lights working. That said, the signals on the mirrors crapped out at least 5 or 6 years ago, and it looks like a whole lot of :effort: to get to them.

I see a shitload of newer GM, Ford, and Kia running around with burnt out exterior bulbs.

My Altima had all original bulbs when I bought it, even the headlights were stamped 1998. :iiam:

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Here's "The Comfy Couch", my '94 Grand Marquis GS with a "Park Lane" package. This ride is so grampa, it even has a scooter lift in the trunk (anyone wanna buy a scooter lift?) and a big-rear end "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" sticker on it!

PO bought it new in '94, took pretty good care of it and drove it 'til he died (175K mi). I've had to replace rear brake lines (note puddles in photo) and now I've got a tranny shudder around 30-40 MPH. Other than that, it's a freakin' tank. I commute into Boston every day, and my previous "good choice", a 2000 Corolla, got ground into dust in 2 years, so I'm kickin' it old skool now, baby.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I'm a little late to the party but I just bought my 2nd CVPI on the 4th. 2000, matte black paint (really just a lovely paint job), beige interior with the vinyl back seat, and a few problems to boot.

1) The steering wheel is out of alignment with the front wheels ever so slightly. Not horrible, but it'll have to be fixed in the future.

2) My Check Engine light was off until I replaced the broken fuel cap with a Murray Ultra replacement. Now the light stays on, and flashes at me once I top 70. Also related, I get some hesitating and shaking at times with very light acceleration between 30 and 42 MPH. If I accelerate like a grown man, I never feel it.

I'm taking it in at the end of the week for an oil change and inspection, I'm gonna get the OBDII code(s) too, so I have a better clue of what's going on. Other than that, anyone have any ideas?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
poo poo, all we get are diesel Focus and Astra patrol cars.

Though the sight of a liveried Suzuki Wagon R or Smart ForTwo always raises a smile.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just checked our computer, and it lists that you can bleed it using the Ford scan tool, a pressure bleeder, or even the good old manual pump pump squirt. With or without ABS, any method is fine according to our system.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Though the sight of a liveried Suzuki Wagon R or Smart ForTwo always raises a smile.

The greatest source of pre-thrashed v70 T5s would like to have a word with you.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cbx posted:

2) My Check Engine light was off until I replaced the broken fuel cap with a Murray Ultra replacement. Now the light stays on, and flashes at me once I top 70. Also related, I get some hesitating and shaking at times with very light acceleration between 30 and 42 MPH. If I accelerate like a grown man, I never feel it.

I'm taking it in at the end of the week for an oil change and inspection, I'm gonna get the OBDII code(s) too, so I have a better clue of what's going on. Other than that, anyone have any ideas?

A flashing check engine light I was told only comes on during a catalyst damaging event, such as a severe misfire. Have you checked the plugs and coils at all? I was getting a very minor amount of stumbling in mine and you can see up a few posts what I pulled out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, cat or trans damage.

CEL on = find out why and fix it, drive it to the shop maybe if it doesn't feel weird at the wheel or pedals. Did you leave the gas cap on top of the pump, you big goof?

CEL flashing = pull the gently caress over and turn off the engine right now. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 (the tow guy gets to do that).

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

A flashing check engine light I was told only comes on during a catalyst damaging event, such as a severe misfire. Have you checked the plugs and coils at all? I was getting a very minor amount of stumbling in mine and you can see up a few posts what I pulled out.

That's what I've read about the flashing light, although most of my info was from non-Ford sites.

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, cat or trans damage.

CEL on = find out why and fix it, drive it to the shop maybe if it doesn't feel weird at the wheel or pedals. Did you leave the gas cap on top of the pump, you big goof?

CEL flashing = pull the gently caress over and turn off the engine right now. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 (the tow guy gets to do that).

No, I just put a brand new fuel cap on. I had to remove the old one because the twisting cap had broken off from the other part and no gas could get in. I don't know much about Murray Ultra parts but it seems to be working. The car doesn't feel weird at all, besides that minor hesitation at a specific mph range. Drives great, no loss of pressure, still can accelerate wonderfully. Even when the light was flashing, there were no audible or noticeable sounds of misfiring in the engine. It was purring.

Regardless, I'm not ignoring your advice, I just don't have the money for a new catalytic converter right now. It's gotta run for a couple of weeks doing city driving so I can make money to get it fixed. :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think the misfire is the stumbling you're talking about and its at high load (Freeway) that its becoming more pronounced. Check the plugs at least if you have a 7mm socket for the coils and a long extension+ 5/8" spark plug socket.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you replace the plugs and coilpacks now, you can probably avoid damaging the cat enough to need replacing it, unless it's already too late/you've done too much damage by driving it like that for a while.

What I'd do - pull coils and plugs, check resistance on coils, replace plugs. If it continues, debug further and in the meantime, drive it very gently so it doesn't flash the light at you. This may or may not be terrible advise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Pull the codes first. If they're not misfire codes, don't gently caress with the coils yet. Could be something even more fun. :bigtran:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I drove on a flashing CEL in my '03 for a few days. The code told me which cylinder it was, and throwing in an aftermarket coil fixed it. I just told myself running on 7 cylinders was small enough risk given how little I had in the car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think cop cars fall under epa testing requirements. Do you even have a cat?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think cop cars fall under epa testing requirements. Do you even have a cat?

I'm pretty sure these are cats, but some could be resonators. Honestly just kind of assumed they were catted. Dual pipes though :whatup:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Had the flashing CEL in my old V8 SHO, apparently a rear coil failed and raw gas was being dumped into the cat. I remember pulling over and seeing it glow red as the insides cooked.

Man, that was expensive. :(

Edit: In retrospect, I should have just changed the COP and had my friend weld in some pipe in place of the cat and added some more pollution in the air, but I had a shop do the repairs. $$$

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 13, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Yeah, drove it to and from work today, and only noticed a couple of misfires at that 30-40 mph range. The car seems to give me less and less trouble each time I drive it. I will definitely get the codes pulled on it ASAP, though. I knew I'd need to get it checked out right away. I'm hoping nothing serious happens, and I'm definitely not going to take it on the interstate until this all gets fixed.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is the CEL blinking when you drive currently? If so, please stop, you are ruining your future.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is it quick flashes or an occasional blink?

Elephanthead posted:

Really?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

What? Neither "Coil Over Plug" or "Police" makes any sense in this context.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Is the CEL blinking when you drive currently? If so, please stop, you are ruining your future.

No. The light only flashed when my speedometer hits 70. I did that on the freeway a few days ago, slowed down, and haven't gotten near 70 since. It doesn't flash at any other speeds and it hasn't flashed since then.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Cops around here mostly drive Mondeos and Vectras still, even though they were all supposed to have been replaced with Passats at this point. A fair number of the Mondeos even had the 2.5T 5-cylinder, which was pretty rad. The current plan is for an equal mix of Passats and Mercedes C-classes. And they're phasing in BMW K1600GTs for the motorcycle cops. 1600cc inline-6 cop bikes, I guess they need all that oomph for the seventy tons of crap they have to haul around.

Once in a while a used patrol car comes up for sale at an auction, but since they're all pretty much run into the ground due to lack of funds and don't have any "police package"-type features, they're not particularly sought-after. No one wants a 250K+ km sedan/wagon that's been beat on all of its life and has no additional features compared to vehicles owned by civilians.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elephanthead posted:

They're just normal cars, they have cats (two per side on some models) and there are no exemptions when in civilian hands. The cops probably don't have to get 'em tested, but they don't exactly have plates on 'em either. My old '93 CVPI got the sniffer twice during the time I owned it, anything '96 and up would get the plug.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

They're just normal cars, they have cats (two per side on some models) and there are no exemptions when in civilian hands. The cops probably don't have to get 'em tested, but they don't exactly have plates on 'em either. My old '93 CVPI got the sniffer twice during the time I owned it, anything '96 and up would get the plug.

In PA police cars get emission tested like everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ahaha, emissions testing. Poor suckers, come to the glory of Arkansas where we have chipped diesels rolling coal and mid 90's GM products with exhaust leaks running around everywhere :smug: