Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
poo poo, all we get are diesel Focus and Astra patrol cars.

Though the sight of a liveried Suzuki Wagon R or Smart ForTwo always raises a smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Great. Now put laminx on it or you'll be doing this again in a month :v:
I thought the kits came with something like that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe he may be referring to the perceived wisdom, as indeed borne out in every 14 INCH PSYLOCIBE DICK DETECTIVE MD thread up until this one, that the purchase price of an older car should be considered nothing more than a downpayment. And that it shall poo poo spiders and disappointment over all that you love and cherish.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're gonna need to buy suspenders to go with it.
In Britain, you only need those if you're pretending to be at least a Chief Constable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Tow ratings tanked because of the watts linkage. Not sure exactly why that is, if someone can explain why the addition of watts linkage would effectively ruin towing capacity that would be great.
What was it before? A panhard rod, or some kind of three or four arm setup?

Without looking into it, my first guess is that it's either to do with having to change the metalwork to accommodate the linkage, and so "lose" the old mounting points, something along the lines of "people are fuckwits and can't be trusted with more than a ton on the back", or a legislative issue that was too expensive to make changes to address.

Edit: VVVV Sounds reasonable enough explanation to me.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 20, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That sounds a pretty hefty trailer. I'd have thought something about right for an E30 would be more like 1500-2000lbs empty.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Everything works, its comfortable compared to my previous cars, but I can't help but feel like I sold out. First car I've owned that has working AC and now it's got me thinking about poo poo like seat heaters.
I understand what you mean, but it's not like you've gone and signed yourself up to pay $700 a month on a lease for a car you don't particularly want/need just so you meet someone else's expectations for what nice, respectable people drive. That's selling out for people like us. Happening to have a car that actually works, but is still DIY-friendly and has potential to be mucked about with, is not "selling out". It does not make you that oval office who buys a brand new (but bottom-of the range and unoptioned) BMW and then sneers at people who don't because they aren't nice people like he is.

One day, I hope, you will get someone offer you a rung or two up the ladder, and you can sit in a nice warm office and direct the barely-controlled chaos happening in the bays from the other side of a desk. If you take hold of the same worry about "selling out" and don't do it because of some fear that you need the lovely end of the stick to be constantly poking you in the ribs in order to be "genuine" or whatever, I swear to whichever diety is convenient that I will fly over there and kick you in the spuds.

Ranting aside: Your get-to-work car does not need to be a hairy shirt. If you really feel bad about it, slam your dick in the door a couple of times before heading off to work, it'll give you all the discomfort of coming out to find the car won't start/won't stop/is on fire without any of the late-to-work or spending-evening-fixing-poo poo-in-20-degree-weather-when-you-could-be-getting-laid consequences.

There is no pride to be had in areas of your life being poo poo, and there is no shame in areas of your life actually going your way for a change. Enjoy having a cushy, working car and redirect the energy you used to have to expend on miscellaneous automotive disasters on things like your career and girlfriend.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Midniter posted:

Would you say, perhaps, that the experience is somewhat akin to placing yourself in a zone of danger?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you buy something the wrong side of 4000lbs with a V8 in it and then think MPG is up for discussion, you may wish to reevaluate your approach to things.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blugu64 posted:

It's the american way damnit
I never really thought of the American stereotype as involving giving a poo poo about fuel economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Batman wrote that?

http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/410-mohammad-f-haque